LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is this common for Babesia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this common for Babesia?
Summer3
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year I tried to take Mepron twice and both times my liver enzymes got too high and couldn't be lowered (while I remained on it) despite aggressive detoxing.

Then they went way down after I went off mepron and started Rifampin (of all things). I've taken Plaquenil, amoxicillin, doxy, ceftin, mino, bactrim, biaxin, zithromax, clindamycin, flagyl, tindamax, etc. and my liver enzymes were fine (even when I combined lots of the above at once).

A few weeks ago I started to pulse artemisinin and I did a test 11 days after the pulse. My liver enzymes were elevated. They are not at all dangerously high, but they're headed up exactly how they did when I took mepron. I have a feeling after a few more pulses, they will probably be up too high despite all the NAC, ALA, milk thistle and glutathione IV's that I do along with a lot of other liver detox support.

What is the explanation for that? Does my body not handle herbs and meds that target babesia because of a side effect or is it because there is a red blood cell die-off occurring that's increasing the counts?

[ 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Summer3 ]

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://medwelljournals.com/abstract/?doi=ijtmed.2008.49.52

http://maxwellsci.com/print/crjbs/v3-78-81.pdf

Here are two studies that found correlations between liver enzymes and levels of infection with malaria subjects. Greater infection was linked to higher enzyme activity.

Babesia loves the liver. It is possible you are experiencing lots of die-off there.

The million dollar question is "What do you do?"

Talk with your doc. I would not pulse Mepron. But Art is routinely pulsed. Maybe a short pulse 1-2x/month would drop your Babesia load without incurring unnecessary risk.

Or a smaller dose of Mepron. Have you tried 1/2tsp 2x/day?

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm banned from mepron. I think I scared my doctor with that one. I had started taking it and gone a few weeks before doing a liver test and when I had one done he immediately pulled me off. We tried it one more time and it happened again. I've always had the mindset that I'd rather not do mepron at all if I can't stay on for at least 120 days continuously (the life cycle of the red blood cell). It aggravates me too much to have to go off.

I've been pulsing artemisinin for only 3 days 2x per month. 400mg 3x per day. Even that raised it up and my test was over a week after the 1st pulse ended. I was just able to start going monthly for LFT's and now they are headed up again. By the time I do the next test I will be within a day of the end of my 3rd pulse and I have a feeling it's not going to be a good test.

--------------------

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer. I have heard of others experiencing high LFTs with Art.

I don't blame you on the Mepron.

There are other ways to kill Babs.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must use detox supplements on Mepron. Are you taking any milk thistle or alpha lipoic acid?

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

I don't take Mepron right now, but yes I was taking milk thistle, ALA, NAC and glutathione while on it. I couldn't keep my enzymes down.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about clindamycin and quinine? Or clindy and plaquenil?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

That might be my next step thank you Lymetoo. I wasn't sure if clindamycin would work very well since I don't see it discussed very much for babesia independent of quinine. I did it with Mepron on my first attempt.

My LLMD almost certainly will not go for quinine but clindamycin he might let me try again. I already take Plaquenil and Bactrim DS among others.

--------------------

beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about clindy and artimisin?
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer, have you tried cryptoleptis? Also, I remember reading one of Gael's posts where she said that salt c got rid of her babs.

Parasite meds have really knocked my babs down. And I started with salt/c first (I'm back on it again).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can handle Mepron well and was on it for 2 1/2 years straight. The only time I had elevated liver enzymes was with Clindamycin/Quinine. I think it depends on our own bodies and what specific infection it's targeting.

I agree that you should ask about the Clindy/Quinine combo and see how you react.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also chloroquine and primaquine.

Ivermectin might even hit it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter took Art 800 mg 2 x day, every other day, 2 weeks on, 2 off. She also added Coartem. I have never seen her herx like this on Mepron. Seems to be killing lots of Babs bugs.
Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is taking Beyond Balance MC Bab-2 for babesia duncani...
Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement