LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how long can you stay in the sun on doxy??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how long can you stay in the sun on doxy??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
because my divert disease is still acting up, my gastro wnats to put me on low dose doxy. go figure. didn't know it treated diverticulitis. shows how much i know.

but here's the problem. and tu, you know what i mean about texas sun.

it's warming up here. already in the 70's this week. welll i want to start exercising again even if i have to crawl around that lake.

it takes me 30 minutes to walk one mile. but if i'm on doxy, and he wants me to take a small dose of 200 twice per day, how long can i stay out in the sun?

i saw a guy once who had blistered from doxy sun exposure but he was out hours.

anybody react to doxy in the sun?? i don't want to be one.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
No time in the sun is safe when on doxycycline. Key word here "no" time.

Even "bounced" or "reflected" sun can cause burning as can sun through a window or through a loose-weave fabric.

If the mosquitoes are not bad, can you walk before sunrise or at dusk?

There are protective clothing but I'd not want to wear anything that had chemicals imbedded.

A TIGHT WEAVE is what matters most. Loose fitting and very tight weave. Gloves, too.

But, there are other antibiotics besides doxy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gotten sunburned with a hat, long sleeves and long pants, sitting in the shade. Keebler is right about bounced light and doxy.

Also gotten burned hands from holding steering wheel while driving. Then I started wearing gloves.

Doxy and sun just don't go together.

You know about the doxy shortage, right?

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't be in the sun for more than a few minutes when I was on doxy. I'm fairly light complected and would burn very easily. I bought a long-sleeved shirt made of special lightweight material that kept out UV rays.
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear, maybe you could just go to a gym or work out with weights in your own house (that's what I do). It's not worth getting burned.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NONE AT ALL!!! I could tolerate a little bit on minocycline, but NONE on doxy!!! I even got sunburned in March in Ohio through the car window. It's not really a "sunburn" it's more like a chemical burn.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - I am going to be the odd man out here... but I took doxy and was able to spend time in the sun. I am one of the lucky ones who did not burn more while using. I am fair skinned and always use sun screen and wear a hat to protect my skin - but I did not burn while using doxy.

My dermatologist told me that not everyone reacts that way to doxy. I was so scared because of everything I read... and was pleasantly surprised when I learned that I could still go outdoors.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay out of the sun. It hurts like hell.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD said that some people do better in the sun on doxy than others. I was also asked if I burn easily (my skin is very sensitive so no sun for me).

I have some very nice hats now.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny thing is, I usually tan nicely and don't burn much. This was more like sun poisoning. And I had sunscreen on. I do believe that everyone is different, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance, hurt BAD.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, same here. I started IV Doxy in late January. Luckily this winter had been the pits with nice days far and few betewen.

This past Sunday was an excellent day and I had to do some outside work for about 1.5 hours in the sun. Monday am my face was pretty red and burned, its faded a lot but I can still feel the burn today.

I didn't think I would be effected, since I took Tetra for a few years in my late teens for acne, and another round from Nov thru March in 2011 with my first LLMD. I had no burn issues then.

But yes, I'll have to watch it very closely for another two weeks when I get the PICC pulled. Then switch to minocycline for maintenance for a while.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the chemical burn the first time I was on doxy. No sunburn and I am on the fair side. I was in and out of the pool for over an hour and I noticed the tingling on my hands and then feet.

The feet cleared up quickly but the hands took 10-14 days to subside. It's a weird feeling. When you wash your hands with cold water it feels like ice. When in warm, it feels scalding.

I do walk the dog before 9 AM and early evening. My feet are in tennis shoes and I make sure I put sunscreen on the tops of my hands so I can still see the white cream and I have never had a problem since.

As you can see, everyone is different though.

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on Doxy, I was totally bedridden, so never was outside enough to know how long it takes.

I'm sure it is different for anyone. I do know that my daughter who was in college at the time and on this med did nothing more than walk from one side of the campus to another to get to a class and burned very badly.

So I would be very careful about avoiding the sun on that one.

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOT long!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same exact thing as you Koo only on my hands. Funny thing was when I started Rifampin and doubled the dose of doxy, all my sun sensitivity went completely away. I was able to stay outside all day with no sun reaction or burn.

I switched off doxy at that point because I figured it probably wasn't being absorbed correctly or working how it should.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About two seconds! [Eek!]

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About two seconds! [Eek!]

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone is right. It is more like sun poisoning - not just your typical burn. I could not even stand by a window inside the house!

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pasty pale. I have only had issues with Doxy twice and that was after being at the beach for 5 days both times. Any spot that I missed with sunblock got burned - and like the others said, it's more like a chemical burn. Very painful.
I made sure to use zinc oxide sunblock.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooldog71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pooldog71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am another fair skinned example and with a good sunscreen & hat I didn't have too much of a problem.
My doc & pharmacist said that everyone reacts differently. You must be careful and test it out with very short "test runs" to see how you react. If ok at a minute, try two & so forth.

Posts: 164 | From California | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't even take the chance.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would start with sunscreen, hat, covered up, etc for a few minutes, then if that's ok, work up slowly.

I spent a lot of time outdoors while on Doxy or Mino, most of the time with sunscreen unless it was late in the day. Did not burn.

However, by the end of the summer I was a very odd dark color. Not the color of a regular tan. More like John Boehner - not a good look. I finally realized it was because of the meds! It took a while to go away but was never painful. So I suspect we are all different.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two seconds.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any Wash state and Oregon folks will get this.

What is with the late sunny weather?

Normally Vancouver is knee deep in water by now haha.

Today I was outside and the sun came out.

Reminder that doxy and sun do NOT mix for some of us.

I am not burned too bad, and isn't as bad as the first time, but I expect it to be the gift that keeps on giving...

It was last time...weeks and weeks with tingly burned hands and a face burn that several people (more insensitive ones laughed at), and other well meaning ones who commented it looked like lupus rash.

Anywho, just a reminder. It's a late summer! Even with a good tan I still got the doxy-sun reaction.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know when I was on IV doxy it was during June/july/august and I covered up as much as possible. Wore a sun hat and a sun shirt when outside. But we went on vacation and I sat at the pool in a swim skirt with my legs and hands in the sun and never got burned.

BUT when I came inside and I would wash my hands it felt like nerve pain almost. Like ice. Everyone is different and most people will burn, so I would play it safe. I dont know why I didnt.

Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I can mix Doxy & the sun without any ill effects.

I can even get a full tan & get burned by the sun without any noticeable differences.

I actually feel better when I lay out in the sun for a few minutes. I also feel better when I take a hot shower & I think both scenarios cause the longer spirochetes to hide into cyst mode & they in turn do less damage at that time. This is the case perhaps because I am infested with spirochetes.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement