LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Which kind of cordless phone is it that does NOT emit signals unless in use?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which kind of cordless phone is it that does NOT emit signals unless in use?
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember, but I've heard that it is the older models that only emit wireless signals while in use. When not in use, nothing is emitted.

Thanks for any info you can share. We need new phones and I want to get something safe. Wired phones are not as convenient, but that's what we have in 2 rooms. I would like one cordless though.

Thanks.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want one I can turn OFF as desired!! Consider that too!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds great. Didn't know there was such a feature.

I'm really believe all of the wireless/cellular waves are reeking havoc on our health. We can't change the world, but can only try to make our homes as safe as we can.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I bought mine about 3 yrs ago I could not find one with an on off feature. I couldn't believe it!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

up
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A land line is the best option. Even, then, not too close to a bed.

I know being cordless is a nice feature but they really are not worth it, IMO.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cell phones can be turned off, and wrapped in aluminum foil to block EMF's...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the older cordless models... ones from the 1980s/ early '90s, with those ridiculously long antennas?... They look like kids' walkie-talkies from the 1960s... They work in the lower 49 MegaCycle [or MHz] radio band & don't emit ANY RF when "hung up".

You might find a pair locally some one never quite threw out, or chase a handset/base unit pair down on eBay or "Craigs".

I don't believe any cordless pairs sold now are totally 'dead' when not in use, though even the olde ones send out a weak < 1/10 watt signal, from the "base unit", when someone's calling up... to trigger the handset's ringer. ;-)

And just a note here about cellphones: If you are in "view" of a tower- maybe a 1/2 mile or less- you are exposed to the LEAST R.F. radiation, as your cellphone is told to 'turn way down' by the "Switch" that controls the local tower, so that it can "hear" the more distant cellphones that are cranked up full [~600 milliWatts] to keep all the calls going.

It's backwards from what you would think, but the "radiation"- high UHF radio waves- coming out of your cellphone are always the greater of the 2 when you're considering what the cell tower & your cellphone each expose you to.

But Keebler is right to suggest a "land-line". Those red/ green wire pairs that come into your home?... they only carry voice audio & maybe 50 volts D.C. when all everything's "hung up". NO R.F.

Less total radiation than what the wire to your stereo speaker's giving off, which is *TINY*. [Low "audio" frequencies don't radiate off a straight wire very well.]

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very sensitive to EMFs (have been that way forever). The only phones I can handle are land lines (the cordless ones bother me). I just get the long cords put on them.

I think all the wireless stuff is making lyme and parasites grow faster and stronger. Mother nature never made plans for an environment that pulses radio frequencies and EMFs 24/7, not to mention nuclear radiation.

Imagine how the poor whales and dolphins feel getting radar shot at them (they beach themselves and die). None of us were meant to be exposed to this crap. Think about it with every purchase you make.

I easily lived my first 40 years without a cell phone. I called people on land lines, and if they weren't home, I left a message. Big deal. When I needed to meet someone, I waited for them at an agreed upon place. If we didn't connect, no big deal. We eventually did and were still friends. It wasn't the end of the world.

I love technology as much as the next person. But it doesn't love me. I only use my cell phone maybe 10 or 12 times a year, if that. The rest I do on land lines. Everyone who knows me knows if they want to get a hold of me, they have to leave a message on my home line. Less is more.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCarlhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Iphone/Ipad users Pomg Research cases are great and scientifically backed. Also lots of products at lessemf.com
Posts: 366 | From Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
w0tm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for w0tm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, before retiring I was an electronics engineer for 40 years specializing in radio frequency RF) transmission. The "background" RF all around all of us 24/7 coming from thousands of sources (including the sun) is measured as being much higher than that emitted by cordless or cellular phones (even holding one to your ear).

I've done the testing and have testified in court cases (i.e. cancer supposedly caused by cell phone use). But if you feel the RF of a phone is affecting you then it is affecting you. Best to go to wired telephones (not wireless) that receive their power from the telephone line.

As an aside, every home with a wired telephone line should have at least one truly wired telephone with the power coming from the telephone line. Should your power go out your phones powered from the 115 VAC wall outlet will all be dead (a few now have backup batteries so they keep working until the batteries give out). Should an unexpected wide spread "problem" occur those who only use cell phones (becoming common especially with the young) will probably find them useless as many thousands attempt to use a cellular system capable of handling only a few hundred users. Few will get a dial tone. A "wired" telephone can still find an overloaded system but much less common.

Posts: 133 | From Shawnee, KS | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Respectfully, I've heard all of this before. I used to sell cell phones. All of us who worked for the phone company were told that there actually was a link to cancer with them, but to tell people that there was no long term data. That combined with the fact that cell and cordless phones hurt my ears and head is enough to convince me they're bad for me.

The sun is part of nature, so I don't have a problem with it (doesn't hurt my ears or head).

The surgeon general took 50 years to tell everyone that cigarettes cause cancer. I for one am not willing to wait for cell phone data, and won't anyway since they hurt my ears and head.

I also don't believe everything I hear. However, I do believe what I physically feel. I learned in college to look at the source providing the data. Look for conflicts of interest (follow the money, who benefits, etc). Cell phone companies are a billion dollar industry. Maybe even a trillion. They are going to do everything they possibly can to convince people that phones and signals are perfectly safe. Money talks.

Thanks for the info about a direct wire to the house (good idea).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Health issues from RF exposure is a very tricky area as the stregth of the field (in "3D") varies as the CUBE of the distance form it's source.
That's why, say, the "clamshell"-style cellphones, if held a bit away from the head expose the local body tissues to MUCH less RF compared to, oh, a "flat" cellphone (eg: Smartphone) pressed against the head.

Then there's the issue of how strong a signal it's transmitting, which often continually varies as you drive around (whoops did I suggest people talk on these things while they DRIVE?).
[See my above post about cellphone power levels.]

Then you need to also consider how often you talk AND how sensitive YOU might be to 800 or 1800 MHz R.F., even on a biological level (people seem to vary on what level of exposure can lead to cancers).
The FCC themselves regulate that no-one can be within something like 20 or 30 feet of an LP "Low-power FM" radio station antenna that's broadcasting 100 watts on the FM band.
Something's up with RF exposure in that case, huh?

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by w0tm:

A "wired" telephone can still find an overloaded system but much less common.

-
I have one of those on standby. It cost about $5.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_wxM6IAF1I

Listen and think about this long and hard.

Can you imagine what will happen if "they" are really successful in bringing wireless into all schools?

We are on this board because we all have or had Lyme. We all were or still are heavy metal toxic. We all have parasites holding the toxic metals with increasing growth of fungi in us and around us. We all are exposed to EMF without a chance to escape.

The only wise move is to remove what we can.
This is my doctor speaking also telling my story.

Well ness for all.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement