LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Leg twitching

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leg twitching
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My right leg has been twitching on and off for 8 months.

It all started after taking Biaxin for 4 days and I ended up in the ER with tremors.

For a while, both my legs would twitch periodically, but now it's pretty much just the right leg.

It doesn't seem to be any particular muscle. It can be numerous places on the leg.

On two occasions I had really strong joint pain in my right hip. Otherwise, no pain.

My question:
Would this be caused by infection in the leg itself, or by CNS involvement?

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow! I guess first question ,what did your LLMD
say about it?

I had a similar reaction to a drug a few years ago, before I knew about LD.

Mine was sudden pain in legs and low back.

I Googled and by chance found a chat going on about how this was happening to other people when they tried that drug.

Mine was supposed to be for a bladder infection.

So it started by 4th day, I read the post, and stopped the med.

It had taken ,doctors, 4 months to figure what problem was.
Only found it with actual scope.

I was in another country by then.
So I had Rifampin with me and ,started back on that until I got home.

Recently I had a similar experience with one our meds and was asked/told/recommended to try and push through it. That it could be a Herx reaction.

Back then with first event ,I had no idea what a Herx was....I was very sick but with unknown diagnoses.

I'm not a doctor.
Just saying what I went through...was not Biaxin with me.

What else are you taking?

Any other new meds/supps??

Did you throw a cyst buster in there?

I'm sure more help will follow..nonna [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At that time I was on Ceftin, Diflucan, Amantadine and testosterone as well. I stopped them all after that ER visit.

I had other symptoms with that circumstance: gastroparaesis, extreme depression/anxiety, and I became very sensitive to smells/sounds, elevated heart rate, insomnia + more.

I'm still baffled about it. Herx, side effect, disease progression?

I just know that I could not stay on the pharms when that happened. My symptoms were too severe.

If that was a herx, my detox pathways must be screwed bc I have not come back to "baseline" after 8 months.

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

"wow! I guess first question ,what did your LLMD
say about it?"

I've been to three Lyme docs in that period and none of them really seemed to elucidate.

The first doc (the one who prescribed all that stuff) wanted me to stick it out when I contacted him, then at the following appointment he suggested I was just dehydrated and offered to put me on a beta-blocker for the high heart rate so I never went back.

He seemed like a very smart man, but I just didn't trust his decisions after that.

For whatever reason, none of these docs have discussed detox with me.

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VV:

I had other symptoms with that circumstance: gastroparaesis, extreme depression/anxiety, and I became very sensitive to smells/sounds, elevated heart rate, insomnia + more.

I think this may have been a herxheimer reaction, as most of those are symptoms of low magnesium.

When the white blood cells phage (eat) Lyme bacteria, the liver uses more magnesium to make glutathione to detoxify the poisons left behind.

You can provide liver support by taking
Magnesium
Fish oil
CoEnzyme Q10
Undenatured whey (amino acids)
Acetyl l-carnitine
Alpha lipoic acid
N-acetyl cysteine
Milk thistle

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kim812
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My left leg has been twitching 24/7 for over 8 years. It was my first symptom and in spite of years of treatment I still have it. For me I believe it is permanent. I also have nerve pain along with the twitching.

It is annoying but other than that doesn't really stop me from doing anything. Had an EMG done and it was normal....

Posts: 343 | From North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

quote:
Originally posted by Carol in PA:
quote:
Originally posted by VV:

I think this may have been a herxheimer reaction, as most of those are symptoms of low magnesium.

When the white blood cells phage (eat) Lyme bacteria, the liver uses more magnesium to make glutathione to detoxify the poisons left behind.

You can provide liver support by taking
Magnesium
Fish oil
CoEnzyme Q10
Undenatured whey (amino acids)
Acetyl l-carnitine
Alpha lipoic acid
N-acetyl cysteine
Milk thistle

I take almost everything on this list.
I take 1.5g mag in 3 doses. Can I up that?

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your Vitamin D is low, your body won't absorb the magnesium as well.
Many people here are taking 1000 to 5000 units of D3 daily.

You can take Boron 3 mg daily to help stop the kidneys from removing as much magnesium and potassium from the blood.

You can apply magnesium to the skin with "magnesium oil" or by soaking in Epsom Salts bath.

You can get magnesium in the diet.
Almonds, almond butter
Dark chocolate
Beans, kidney beans, black beans, bean soup, bean burritoes, baked beans.

Which form of magnesium are you taking?
Look at the list of ingredients.
Magnesium oxide is more difficult to absorb.
Magneiusm glycinate, taurinate, and citrate are easier.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Carol,

I take magnesium malate, source naturals 3x a day.
Comes out to about 1.5g

I tried the baths but I really dislike the posture of lying in the bath (and my hot water runs out too fast as well).

I have magnesium spray. Maybe I will try it on my feet.

nynature,

Bart? Do you know what herbs people take for that?
Does bart cause red skin after a shower or in the sun?

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Yeah, I dislike baths too.
And your skin feels sticky after applying magnesium, like when you swim in the ocean, but worse.
So after an Epsom Salts bath, you'd need to shower to rinse it off.

When I first bought "magnesium oil," I tried applying it to the skin.
I sat on the rim of the tub and rubbed it on my legs.
It was summer, and I was wearing shorts, but the sticky feeling was so annoying.

I didn't last 20 minutes before I sat on the rim of the tub again and rinsed it off with cupfuls of water.
The "magnesium oil" is just in a water suspension, so it's very thin.
Amazing how much they charge for it.

I also tried using it as a foot bath.
I figured I could sit with my foot in a large flat tupperware container, and soak in the solution while I was reading on the computer.

Well....the cat wanted in and then out, and I'd have to dry off my foot whenever I got up.
I put the lid on the tupperware, planning to use it a couple times, since it's pretty expensive to just throw away.

After a couple days of this, my foot began peeling, haha.
The whole thing was so annoying that I just stopped.

I'd rather eat beans and almonds.

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

VV, you said, "I take almost everything on this list."

Which ones are you not taking...I may be able to suggest an economical source.

Magnesium malate is good, although I don't remember that it did much for me.
You could try a different form and see if it reduces your symptoms.

Also, don't forget about Vitamin D3 and Boron.

I buy this magnesium:
Source Naturals, Ultra-Mag, 120 Tablets
with magnesium citrate, taurinate, malate, glycinate and succinate.
http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Ultra-Mag-120-Tablets/1415

And I use Source Naturals NightRest, which has magnesium chelate.

VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the suggestion. For whatever reason, they put a bunch of B-6 in the Ultra Mag. Currently waiting on test results for MTHFR so not sure if the B-6 would be wise, esp if I'm trying to take a lot of the mag.

VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Oh, and I have all the stuff on that list.

I don't take the whey often bc of precautions about glutamate and neuro-excitability.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement