LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does Lyme tend to cause high blood pressure?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Lyme tend to cause high blood pressure?
Maya12
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this common with Lyme?
Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have hypercoagulation because of lyme and co-infections. I believe this led to my high blood pressure.

Here are some articles:

http://drcharlescrist.net/Borreliosis/Hypercoagulation/

"Of approximately 900 borreliosis patients that I have tested, 90 percent have hypercoagulation. Comparatively, only five percent of the general healthy population has hypercoagulation."

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/hypercoagulation.htm

" Sticky blood appears to be a precondition for cholesterol to start clogging up arteries, and it is also a common factor leading to high blood pressure...

...A partial list of conditions caused or triggered by hypercoagulation reads like a Who is Who of diseases:

Arthritis, atherosclerosis, autoimmune diseases, bone necrosis, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, chronic fatigue/CFS, chronic infections, deep vein thrombosis, dementia, depression, diabetes, eye diseases, fibromyalgia, heart attack, high blood pressure, infertility, Lyme disease, menstrual problems, metabolic syndrome, migraine, osteonecrosis of hips, knees and jaws, pulmonary embolism, stroke, and varicose veins."

I'm treating hypercoagulation and it seems my blood pressure is going down.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have high blood pressure, which I believe is because of my Lyme. I was an otherwise healthy, average weight 30 year old woman when I was found to have HBP.

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of us have low blood pressure.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just one of many reasons why high blood pressure can result from lyme: adrenal issues.

Also note that even with high blood pressure, one can also have drops of low (hypotension, POTS, NMH -- see the Cardiac Thread for detail).

Adrenal dysfunction (and even adrenal exhaustion) that is common with lyme can cause high blood pressure due to elevated cortisol.

Detailed in this book:

Site: http://www.potbellysyndrome.com/

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, and Heart Disease.

Book link, you can look inside the book and read readers' reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159120058x/ref=nosim/httpwwwpotbel-20

-------------------------

The authors above show HOW that can happen but - other than the obvious "treat the infections" advice which is vital - don't detail the range of support techniques for the adrenals along the way.

While not a LL doctor and not discussing lyme (but does acknowledge infections as stress), THIS author offers great advice that can benefit those with lyme.

While it's a great resource for herbal and nutritional supplements, it's not just about what supplements can help, or about low dose Cortef (hydrocortisone), but also about some self-care, habits, and such that some of us may never think about as being so important:

http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/

His book link: http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/adrenal-fatigue-the-21st-century-stress-syndrome-book

Amazon link where you can look inside the book and read 146 reader reviews, who rate this a 4.5 out of 5:

http://www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320162262&sr=1-1

------

Adrenal support thread link is here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/112235?#000012

Topic: Borrelia Weight Gain? And What Helps.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077325;p=0#000000

CARDIAC INFO & SUPPORT

Includes:

Dr. B's SAFE EXERCISE and PT Rehab guidelines,

EXERCISE INTOLERANCE is (partially) explained in the article: "when exercise doesn't work out" (and what we can do about that)

ADRENAL, CARDIAC, MITOCHONDRIA & MYELIN SUPPORT - that all helps movement better work for us

Styles discussed: Pilates; Qi Gong; Tai Chi; Yoga; water; strolling; etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be sure to avoid all processed foods for many reasons but one of which is that the kind of salts they use in processed foods can blast blood pressure to the moon.

If you eat out, research the restaurant regarding the foods and seasonings they use. Explore the "SLOW FOOD" movement, around the world.

Sea Salt, added to real food can act very differently on a body though and we do need some salt. Talk to your LLMD or LL ND about this.

All kinds of food additives or engineered fake foods can also blow blood pressure sky high.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors;

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tips. I am on high blood pressure meds, and my blood pressure still is type I.

I see my Lyme doc in December and will inquire further. I didn't have high blood pressure until I got Lyme 13 years ago. It always was on the low side of normal.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to take meds to keep my BP up enough to function. Ii hear a lot more about people who have Lyme with low blood pressure than high.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had High cholesterol or high blood pressure till Lyme hit me.

•Lyme disease can affect the heart, causing inflammation – chest pain.

•The bacteria can also cause low and high blood pressure

•Lyme can also cause heart infections

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also believe it can cause high blood pressure. Either herxes or infection itself.

I am like Steve, never got problems of hypertenstion before lyme. It went up and down during lyme years, now it is again under control, no problem (lyme is dormant the last 4.5 years).

So I do think, in my case, it was related to lyme.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It causes my bp to be very low.
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can go either way. Lyme affects the heart, adrenals, thyroid and hormones. Your blood pressure can end up high or low.

Arrhythmias are also common. Some go away with treatment but not always.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bpd has gone as high as 224 over 176. Ain't lying either. They kept me overnight cause they could not get it down..

Had no problems until the big l

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjourneys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjourneys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caused mine to go VERY low. 80/60 has been my "normal" for the past few months. Normally I'm 105/70.
Posts: 250 | From East Coast | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It caused mine to be so high I seriously feared a stroke. I refer you to Keebler's posts because I believe that was the source of mine...the adrenals.

I took as much as metoprolol 50 mg. tid and also clonidine! As this disease has gotten well under control, I am fortunate that this problem is fixing itself. I'm only on metoprolol 25 bid now.

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well when the hospital can only get it down to 147 over 119 and says well that's better so we're sending you home I thought I was going to stroke out from anger.. My sister had a fit when I told her...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was always low up until last year when the adrenals went into crisis.

When I have that under control I can cut my bp med in half and at times skip it.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I developed bradycardia when I got infected. My blood pressure was always on the low side but went much lower once I got sick. Normal for me is now 90/60.

Now, I am getting spikes in my pulse that go up to 108 when I am doing nothing and can go as low as 51. My pressure doesn't go higher than a normal reading but my pulse is crazy.

We are doing tests to see what is wrong with the hypothalamus.

--------------------
Faithful

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faithful, what kind of tests are being run? The hypothalamus seems to be a very difficult thing to right. Even after feeling much improved, I still have the low body temp, although it is coming up some.
Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a body temp of 95 for 2 or 3 years when I was at my worst.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

quote:
Originally posted by koo:
Faithful, what kind of tests are being run? The hypothalamus seems to be a very difficult thing to right. Even after feeling much improved, I still have the low body temp, although it is coming up some.

We discussed doing a blood test that looks for certain markers in the blood that the hypothalamus isn't functioning but my LLMD said that the 24 hr urine test will likely tell us more. She is sending me a script by snail mail.

I did have an accident 8 years ago which caused a neck injury and a concussion. Recently I have read a lot about pituitary and hypothalamus damage from accidents that result in a head injury or whiplash.

This can be from the injury or Lyme coming back or both.

Low body temp can just be your thyroid. Are you on anything for low thyroid?

--------------------
Faithful

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement