LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hair loss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hair loss
Holly Beth
Member # 39193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Beth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been losing hair a lot lately especially in the front of my head:(

My scalp hurts too. Does the hair ever grow back again or is this a permanent thing?

Will I get bald spots? My friend has Lyme ae said she had lots of hair loss but it eventually grew back.

I was wondering if the hair always grows back or not? I sure hope so!

Posts: 84 | From way over the rainbow | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
biotin!!!

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Avoid shampoo with SLS, petroleum ingredients, etc.

Organic shampoo is best. Avalon organics makes a lemon one and a peppermint one that work for me but their lavender is like the kiss of death with the scent, even if from real lavender.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone suggested Biosil and Biotin.. Im going to add the Biosil to my regimen after reading all the positive reviews.
www.iherb.com carries it as well as www.vitacost.com

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I like BioSil.... Biotin is good too, but BioSil and Viviscal did more for me by far. I'm sure getting good vitamins, minerals, and omega 3s from my supps help me with hair quality/quantity too, but those 2 supps made my hair look great and get very long.

BioSil is the exact same thing as Regenemax by Xymogen, by the way...Just much cheaper!!

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.. Thank you skies.. That was a great suggestion! Cant wait to try it. The fact that it isnt a collagen product but helps you create your own collagen is very encouraging.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holly Beth
Member # 39193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Beth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! Has anyone gone bald from this?
Posts: 84 | From way over the rainbow | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And ferritin level!! Must be +/- 80 but not too high...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, ferritin level is important as well!

I was worried I would lose it all in the beginning, it was very bad.

A lot has grown back..,and actually my hair is nicer than its been in years thanks to all the good supps and diet.

Don't worry, it will grow back and the shedding will slow. At least that's my experience. Disheartening, especially for us ladies, but it can improve.

--------------------

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holly Beth
Member # 39193

skies- hopefully it will grow back. I'm lucky I have thick hair!

I do not have any bald spots yet anyway!I am due to highlight my hair,will this cause more hair loss?

My roots are showing so I need to get a touch up on color.I have to do something.

skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

I got my hair highlighted throughout this whole ordeal and still do. Just make sure the person doing it is gentle and knows what they're doing.
My stylist uses a more gentle type of color to help prevent any stress on the hair. For me, the highlights/coloring haven't impacted the hair negatively.

Good luck! :-)

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd love to color or highlight my hair but the fumes and even just being in a shop for more than a couple of minutes gives me severe headaches.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holly Beth
Member # 39193

Thanks skies-I will try to color my hair soon. The lady that does it has been doing hair for 20 yrs so she should know what to do.

Did anyone's scalp hurt with this hair loss? My scalp is sensitive.

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skies, how long did it take for you to notice an improvement with the viviscal?

I'm thinking of trying this because I've been taking/ trying everything everything else and my hair has gotten terribly thin. I even have some spots where you can see my scalp. I lose so much every day it's scary and sad.

My dermatologist and endocrinologist both say that it is a sign of my very poor health status. That I'm too sick to support and grow my hair.

I've had other times of hair loss since I've been sick and it has always grown back. I've never had such bad hair loss for as long as this. I guess I've never been this sick before either but I really shouldn't be so surprised.

As a woman this is both embarrassing and depressing.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

my friend who has lyme is so embarrassed that she wears a wig.

she reminds me of an old rag doll. a hair here and there and the rest is just bald scalp.

she also has hodgkins and has been on chemo for months.

she's hoping it will grow back but as of yet has not.

thankfully my hair is full and thick right now.

supplements really do help.

--------------------

skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Sammy, I understand... It's so depressing. In the beginning I can remember actually looking online at different wigs because I was worried it would come to that.

It took maybe 2-3 months to start noticing a difference with Viviscal. It just got better and better after that.

I hope you can find something to help. I know health is the most important, but stuff like this just adds insult to injury.

I hope you're doing a little better otherwise.
I read some about your battle with insurance about IVIG. I hope you're getting some answers and getting what you need.

Hang in there.., :-)

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is an auto immune attack on the hair follicles, low dose naltrexone might stop the attack. I sure would give it a try if I were you! It is a miracle for stopping auto immune attacks.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two other culprits are low thyroid and poor fat absorption (or a very low fat diet).
Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement