LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Thoughts about fish oil.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thoughts about fish oil.
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the topic is exhausted, but which component of fish oil should be the highest to balance neurotransmitters?

I think I'm dealing with insufficient dopamine leading to ADHD.

I have Omeagbrite, but it's really high in EPA and low in DHEA. Not to crazy about Nordic Naturals as they add lemon flavoring. Which component do I want the most of for this, and which brand?

I'm also concerned because I feel this was caused by a lipid soluble chemical and possible double chemical reaction, so do I want to increase the fatty levels in the body, especially the brain
because it may hold onto these toxins, or will it help to push them along. I read somewhere to drink whole milk to increase fatty components in the blood to move toxins out. But, I can also see them cleaving and staying. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this too.

We are not on the Omegabrite anymore. We are on no fish oil. Tried getting some in whole milk, but that isn't a lot. It's fortified. Trying fortified eggs, but that's not a lot. Used to eat more fish after got off Omega brite but cut back. Now starting up again.

Thanks for any help-

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered Flax Seed Oil?
Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm aware of it, but doesn't it need to get broken down by the body more for it's use, and isn't quite as effective?

My husband makes smoothies that my son chokes down. I am pretty sure he puts flax seed powder in that. Not sure if that is the same thing though.

Do you think flax seed oil would be good for neurotransmitter balance?

Thanks

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

up
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a doctor (ND) speaking one time ... he recommended Nordic Naturals as the highest quality brand of fish oils.
Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you are right. Flax has less concentration than fish oil and the body has to convert alpha linolenic acid from flaxseed into DHA. But if you have an allergy to fish or to lemon which many add, Flax seed could be an option.

I agree with MannaMe. Nordic Naturals is a high quality fish oil that does outside testing. It is what our family uses.

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks MannaMe and kgg.

I have heard the same thing, I just don't like the concept of the lemon added, after my experience with a homeopathic agent that supposedly had lemon in it. I guess I'm just a little shell shocked from that claim, and here we go again.

I also can't figure out how Omegabrite can not add "lemon" and have it not go rancid.

Nordicnaturals seems to have a lot to choose from in the way of blends.

This is for a almost 11 year old who os around 90 lbs. kgg, what do you give your kids. I worry about hyperactivity in my son. This is why I want to go back to fish oil.

I also ponder the same chemical question of fat in the blood and detoxing the past exposures?

up for more thoughts.

thanks again to you and to anyone that can shed light-

2roads

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This supplement:

Phosphatidylserine

helped calm my daughter- fish oil, GABA, etc. etc.
did not. Clearer thinking, as well.

It is usually derived from soy, but there is a sunflower lecithin version made if soy is an issue.

It is an expensive supplement, you may want to google and research. I know all are individual, but this particular supplement was winner for her when we needed it.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Surprise, this is curious.

We do not have a soy issue.

I looked into it on Wikipedia. need to do more research, but what product did you use and for how long? How old was she when she took it?

Thanks

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not promoting this, nor affiliated in any way.
My daughter was on it for about a year, between ages 6-7.

It was not a magic fix all pill, we all know those don't exist.
But, I absolutely noticed a favorable difference, so

paid the price and continued with it.
Food for thought.

I wasn't able to post links for some reason, so sorry if this is too long, it is from Pure Encapsulations, one of the brands we used:

Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid found in all cells, but is most concentrated in brain cells. This familiarly-called �brain nutrient� supports cognitive function, emotional well-being and behavioral performance by restoring cell membrane composition.

Also found this info:

In the brain, PS helps maintain normal capacity for acetylcholine release and thus is important to the cholinergic neurotransmitter system. PS has similar functions in the dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin dependent neurotransmitter systems. It is also needed for sodium and potassium transport via its influence on ATPase activity.

PS assists in maintaining adequate glucose utilization in the brain. Glucose is the preferred energy substrate for nerve cells which, unlike other cells, are unable to use fatty acids or proteins for energy production. Brain glucose utilization, an indicator of brain activity, often declines during aging. Another related function of PS is its role in controlling the normal balance of stress hormones.

PS is involved in the body�s response to counterbalance the excessive release of adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) and adrenaline after physical stress from exercise, while supporting normal growth hormone release at the same time.

Dietary PS is efficiently and rapidly absorbed in the intestine, taken up into the blood, and readily crosses the blood-brain barrier to reach the nerve cells of the brain.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

I believe the lemon is added so that if you burp it is more pleasant than fish oil repeat.

I use the Ultimate Omega. But they are large capsules. You may want to see if they carry a smaller size.

FWIW, I would stay away from soy whether you know you don't have an allergy or not. Soy is one of the most GMO plant in the US, right after wheat. Because it has estrogen properties is messes with hormones. I have read where it should not be given to young boys. And if you use it, many take it in the evening because it can lower your cortisol which helps you fall asleep.

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xymogen has an extensive line of beneficial and high quality lipids; you can see them all on the website. Fish oil, Salmon Oil, Krill Oil, various doses, Omega 3-6-9 blends with flax, capsule or liquid etc.... there's probably something there you can find for your particular needs.

I suggest at least one fish oil supplement (if you don't know what to get, try the Omega Pure 600 EC), and combine it with the Lipochol 540 krill oil supplement (one of the best krill oils around)

Phosphatidylserine and phosphatidylcholine (Xymogen PhosphaLine is high strength and purity) are also excellent lipids that have a number of benefits. Don't forget that derived from soy doesn't necessarily mean that it has all the properties of soy - its simply taking "pieces" as opposed to the whole compound. For instance phos-chol derived from soy shouldn't have any estrogen-related activities; it doesn't include the plant estrogens that are present in whole, unfermented soy.

Xymogen and other restricted-sale/provider-only supplement companies, especially those that focus on tick borne illness (see: Researched Nutritionals) etc... don't use GMO components in any of their products. It is labeled as such on the bottle.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this while researching:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65046

Maybe it can help you?

Another link:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/20/omega3-fat-useful-to-improve-adhd.aspx

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

I am so confused guys.

I just ordered Dr. Mercola's brand of kids krill oil.

Was that a good idea?

up

2roads
Member # 4409

up
2roads
Member # 4409

anybody use it?
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just quickly read through this thread. I got this in my e-mail. I like this company but it may or may not apply to your situation. I don't make money from them.

-----

Why Fish Oil Makes You Age Faster

Surprising new research reveals that Omega 3 fish oil may cause you to look older, age faster, and possibly trigger other health problems, too! Don�t take another Omega 3 supplement until you read this Special Report.

For years, you�ve been told that the Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil deliver all kinds of remarkable health benefits.

However, new research shows that fish oil may not be the great health wonder you�ve been lead to believe.

Let me explain. In early 2010, a study found that fish oil can boost blood fats in people with blood sugar problems. The study also found that fish oil can promote the formation of blood clots. Because of these surprising results, the researchers suggested that people with insulin resistance may want to reconsider taking fish oil supplements at all.

Another hit on fish oil came out a few months later. This study revealed that even the most purified fish oil still contains measureable amounts of PCBs and other toxins. What�s more, fish oil is extremely vulnerable to heat and oxygen. The minute fish oil is exposed to air, it starts to go rancid.

Now, can you guess what happens when fish oil reaches your warm, oxygen-rich bloodstream? That�s right�it oxidizes and deteriorates immediately! If you get that awful �fish burp� or feel nauseous after taking a fish oil supplement, that�s oxidation in action.

Over the long run, this blast of oxidation can drag down the health of your heart, your arteries, your brain and more.

But here�s the most shocking research of all�

Fish Oil Could Be Making You Age Faster, Too!

In another study, researchers fed mice one of two diets. The first diet was 5%fish oil and 5% safflower oil. The second diet was simply 10% safflower oil. (Safflower oil is rich in omega-6 fat, also known as linoleic acid).

The results were staggering. After 28 weeks, the mice fed the fish oil had shorter life spans than the mice fed the safflower oil! This completely goes against the conventional wisdom that Omega 6�s are inflammatory and high levels are bad for you (I�ll explain more about Omega 6 fatty acids later.)

What�s more, researchers said, the Omega 3 fish oil group showed more oxidative stress, less cellular function, and higher organ dysfunction. As a result, the fish oil promoted aging and shortened the lifespan of the mice!

So, Should You Even Take Fish Oil at All?

My name is Dr. Robert J. Rowen. I�m a practicing M.D. and the editor of the popular health advisory Second Opinion.

What I�m about to share with you is totally against the status quo regarding the health benefits of fish oil. However, because of this new 21st century research, I�m now convinced that fish oil is not the best source health-promoting fatty acids. And once I reveal the reasons why, you may question the shimmer of fish oil, too.

You see, fish oil owes its health-boosting power to two compounds your cells crave. They�re called EPA and DHA, also known as Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids. And they are the fundamental building blocks of virtually every organ, tissue and cell in the body

These fatty acids are called �essential� because the body cannot make them; they must be obtained through diet and replenished on a steady basis.

We�ve all been told that that fish oil is best source of Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids for your body. However, new research now shows this is not the case. The truth is�

The Omega 3 Fatty Acids in Fish Oil
are NOT Essential Fatty Acids at ALL!

You see, there are only two real Essential Fatty Acids. They�re called �parent essential oils� or PEOs.

Parent Omega 6 is Linoleic Acid. Your body converts this into GLA and other compounds.
Parent Omega 3 is Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA). Your body makes this into EPA and DHA as needed.
About 95% of these EFA�s stay in the �parent� form in your cells. The other 5% are naturally converted into biochemicals called �derivatives.� They include the omega-3s EPA and DHA found in fish oil.

So in reality, fish oil contains limited parent essential oils. It�s promoted for its content of derivatives�and inferior ones at that, since they are not made by the body!

Your body craves the Parent forms of Omega3 and Omega 6 because �

Parent Essential Oils Play a Vital Role in Almost Every Bodily Function:

They support healthy cholesterol levels and help keep blood vessels flexible.
They manufacture and repair cell membranes, as well as fire up mitrochondria � the energy-producing factory inside your cells
They act as natural anti-inflammatories. In fact, your body�s #1 natural anti-inflammatory (prostaglandin PGE1) is manufactured from parent omega-6.
They promote healthy circulation. Prostaglandin PGI2 � your body�s natural �blood thinner�, is manufactured from parent omega-6.
PEO�s have a different molecular structure, too. Parent oils are 18-carbon chain fatty acids and come from plants. Your cell membranes contain 18-carbon chain fatty acids as well � so the parent oils absorb perfectly.

Meanwhile, derivatives like Omega 3 EPA and DHA are 20-carbon chains long. They naturally contain more unsaturated fats, too. As a result they are unstable and not as easily absorbed.

Sources of PEO�s include nuts, beans and safflower oil.

Unfortunately, it�s difficult to get the PEO�s you need totally through diet. While PEO�s start out in food, manufacturers often remove these precious oils extend shelf life. Or worse, high-heat processing converts them to unhealthy trans-fats.

That�s why the best way to give your body the Parent Essential Oils it needs to stay healthy is with supplements.

So why am I so convinced that PEO�s are better for you than fish oil?

Because in Head-To-Head Studies Comparing
Parent Essential Oil Against Fish Oil...
PEO�s Win Every Time!

In a series of animal studies, researchers examined the effects of fish oil versus Parent Essential Oils on cell membranes � and the results were staggering.

In the animals taking the fish oil, Omega 3 EPA/DHA was rapidly absorbed by the cell membranes. But their levels of critical PEO�s fell by an astounding 60%.

Meanwhile, the animals in the PEO group saw their levels of Parent Essential Fatty Acids dramatically increase. And as we�ve seen PEO�s are the true essential fatty acids your body needs!

This is just for starters. Take a look at what else the science has to say�

�Arteries Become 11 Years Younger�!

A 10-year study measured the impact of Parent Essential Oils on arterial aging and cardiovascular health. Researchers used a medical device to determine the age and elasticity of small arteries in 35 elderly patients. Then, they gave the volunteers PEO�s daily for up to 48 months.

The scientists were shocked to discover that 25 of the volunteers showed an average 9-year decrease in arterial stiffness. In other words, 73% of the people in the study saw their artery health grow �younger� by as much as nine years! But it gets even better�

In another study, researchers analyzed 16 patients who took PEO�s for an average of 3 months. In this very short time, 7 of the 16 saw improvements in their artery health. That�s a remarkable 42% success rate!

The study also looked at 15 older patients who took fish oil on a regular basis. The researchers replaced the fish oil with PEOs, then measured the results after only 3 months. To their surprise, 13 of the 15 patients saw improved artery health. That�s a whopping 87% effectiveness rate. What�s more, their arterial age dropped by 11 years.

It gets even more exciting. Six of the patients saw healthier cholesterol levels, simply by replacing their fish oil with PEO�s. Another subject with both cholesterol and blood sugar issues improved, too.

These are all incredible results, since they confirm that PEOs can support heart and artery health regardless of your age or existing physical condition.

Free Radical Damage Disappears!

You know about free radicals � and the damage they cause to your heart, brain, and the rest of the body. And you know how important antioxidants are to help reverse this damage.

Well, if you�re taking fish oil, here�s something you should know. Another animal study showed that the cell membranes of the fish oil group were far more vulnerable to free radical damage. In fact, their levels of critical antioxidants like Vitamin E were nearly depleted!

What�s more, the fish oil animals needed 400% more vitamin E to restore natural antioxidant levels. That�s four times the normal amount! Why? Since fish oil is vulnerable to oxidative damage, the body sacrificed its stores of antioxidants to fight this free radical assault.

Meanwhile, the animals fed Parent Essential Oils maintained above-average antioxidant levels. They didn�t need any extra vitamin E. In fact, researchers couldn�t find any evidence of free radical damage at all. PEO�s can actually replace dangerous oxidized fats with the ideal balance of essential fatty acids your body needs to survive and thrive.

No More Age Spots!

Finally, the animals taking fish oil had a 300% increase of lipofuscin. What is lipofuscin? Think of those dark brown spots that show up on your arms, hands and face. They�re known as �liver spots� or �age spots. They�re not pretty to look at, or easy to get rid of. And they are a direct sign of oxidative damage in your body.

And while Lipofuscin is bad enough on your skin, it causes damage internally by slowing your liver�s natural detoxification process. This can trigger health problems down the road.

Meanwhile, the animals taking Parent Essential Oils didn�t have any increase in lipofuscin at all. In fact, their overall skin tone was clear and supple�with no signs of age spots. And their livers were completely normal and functioning.

----

The article recommends products after this. Just thought it was interesting because I always heard that fish oil was good.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

ugh.......

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement