LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PRISM GLASSES AND DIZZINESS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PRISM GLASSES AND DIZZINESS
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PRISM GLASSES and SEVERE DIZZINESS - I began treating Lyme, Babesia, Bartonella a few months ago with an aggressive oral protocol. During my first appt at my LLMD's office, after hearing about my severe dizziness (chronic 24/7 violent rocking for 6 years), it was suggested that I see a Lyme Literate optometrist who makes prism glasses.

Apparently, they are supposed to work on retraining the brain as well, but the optometrist unfortunately didn't give me too much info on the glasses. I do know that he works with many Lyme patients who are also in treatment.

Just wondering if anyone with vestibular disorders caused my Lyme wore these glasses while they were treating. I am a bit hesitant now as I want to be able to give my LLMD appropriate feedback and want to just focus on his protocol and not throw in another variable. The optometrist diagnosed me with Post Trauma Vision Syndrome and Visual Midline Shift Syndrome. Wanted to note that I did not suffer any injuries. this is all caused by Tick-Borne Disease.

[ 05-20-2013, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 138 | From Connecticut | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Lisa,

Many here cannot read solid blocks of text without experiencing severe dizziness. Best to keep to paragraphs of no more than 3-4 finished lines (about 5-6 lines when composing).

I'd love to read what you have to say but can't even focus enough to copy, paste and add in space breaks. Others here may have the same issue so if you want more feedback, you might want to edit in some space breaks.

There have been mixed reviews for something along this line - one person was greatly helped, another could not tolerate it at all.

Bottom line: when lyme, other infections are treated and support is used, vision often improves.

Trying to retrain eyes, a brain or even ears might not be possible as long as infection is active. Some ideas might help to manage but if infection-caused, infection must be treated -- all the band-aids in the world can only do so much.

Mangosteen and other antioxidants help, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PRISM GLASSES and SEVERE DIZZINESS

- I began treating Lyme, Babesia, Bartonella a few months ago with an aggressive oral protocol.

During my first appt at my LLMD's office, after hearing about my severe dizziness (chronic 24/7 violent rocking for 6 years), it was suggested that I see a Lyme Literate optometrist who makes prism glasses.

Apparently, they are supposed to work on retraining the brain as well, but the optometrist unfortunately didn't give me too much info on the glasses. I do know that he works with many Lyme patients who are also in treatment. Just wondering if anyone with vestibular disorders caused my Lyme wore these glasses while they were treating.

I am a bit hesitant now as I want to be able to give my LLMD appropriate feedback and want to just focus on his protocol and not throw in another variable. The optometrist diagnosed me with Post Trauma Vision Syndrome and Visual Midline Shift Syndrome.

Wanted to note that I did not suffer any injuries. this is all caused by Tick-Borne Disease.

Posts: 138 | From Connecticut | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks for the edit. There was a thread here 2 -3 years ago on this very topic. I considered this, studied up on it and decided not to pursue it. Still, will see if I saved that detail in my file notes but have to rest first.

I do recall one eye doctor doing this spoke at an ILADS conference and someone posted about that but reported that HIS experience with this approach did not work at all.

Have you tried YOGA FOR THE EYES? That should be done, first, IMO.

If you consider this, I wonder if there is refund if the glasses are not helpful?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Thanks so much for feedback. So sorry didnt separate blocks of words. I should have known better as I have that problem.

Do you know where I can find those past stories on prisms

Thx

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
No other post with "prism" in the subject line in the medical forum - I searched. But it may be in the General foru.

It's not in my file notes (must be back in my Mac that died on me) but think the eye training thing might be included in this set:

I have to stop now. Just toast. Back later.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sorry so many posts. I'm kind of slow in my cognitive processing.

It is not clear to me if you are asking in advance - wondering if the glasses will help the dizziness

or if you have gotten the glasses and are experiencing dizziness from wearing them.
-

lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

sorry I wasn't clear. I actually did get the glasses. but, think I want to focus on just treatment as I have such active infections.

I was ruled out for everything under the sun for 6 years. all negative. inner ear, etc. misdiagnosed with "migraine associated dizziness" for six years. finally know the TRUE cause.

never heard of yoga for the eyes. what is that?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not try them, lisa?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treeinatree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treeinatree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use prisms for what is likely Lyme-caused dizziness originating from the eyes.

I also have an EAR birth defect that causes dizziness and boy, was it hard to untangle those two things.

At first I used basic prisms for convergence insufficiency (where the eyes do not turn in strongly enough). That was helpful.

But later, I developed a certain area in one eye where if I moved my eye to that area I would get horribly dizzy and my eyes would not work right for minutes, days, or hours. My regular optometrist said there was nothing she could do. I went to a different one who took a long time trying things and finally made some yoked prisms to keep my eyes from going to that spot. I was so relieved.

I know that other similar spots may develop before Lyme recovery, and that may mean a different prism prescription.

The Lions Club has a free glasses program. It is hard to get info on but might be a way to try the prisms and see if they help.

Also - the first time I tried prisms I hated them. But with some practice they helped. YMMV.

Tree

Posts: 146 | From South | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sideways
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sideways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa,

I also have eye problems. I suspect we saw the same optometrist based on your location and your visual diagnosis. I was there May 9 &10.

I'm on my tablet and my eyes have had about enough today, so I haven't read the whole thread. I just wanted to pop in and let you know I'm here snd in the same boat as you. (I got prisms this past Friday). I'll come back to this tomorrow when my eyes are a bit more functional.

Posts: 181 | From Midwest girl gone home | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Thx for Writing. Fill me in more when you can. Thanks so much
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As you already have the glasses, it seems a good idea to do the therapy. It could take a lot of stress off while you attend to the other matters.

I found that post - pulling from the Tinnitus thread:

VISIONAL DYSFUNCTION: Notes from video stream on 12-17-11. His use of slides helped my note taking, even if I can't further explain it - so see additional links.

================================================

He is NOT a LLMD (in that he does not treat lyme, per se), however he is lyme literate in his understanding of how tick-borne disease (TBD) can affect vision, balance and the brain.

His presentation at the ILADS conference will help many lyme patients, no doubt.

http://ilads.org/ilads_media/lyme-disease-videos/

3/4 of the way down, alphabetical order, you'll see Padula's on the list.

DVD is $15. (Presentation w/ his slides and video of the patient walking)
ILADS Oct. 28, 2011 Toronto Conf. � Eye lecture � web stream 12-17

UNDERSTANDING SYMPTOMS RELATED TO VISUAL DYSFUNCTION FOLLOWING A TICK-BORNE EVENT

William V. Padula, OD

[ see below these lecture notes for some of his website links ]

Eyes & BRAIN -

Binocular dysfunction � conference, accomm. Not the problem.

Lyme Affects BRAIN FUNCTIONS that affect sensory motor function for poster, movement and balance, - affects cognitive function.

Organization problem.

Relationship to poster and balance

Often, with eye problems, come Minor strokes can go undiagnosed.

Neurovisual processing rehab. �

Prescibed lenses to affect balance with sensory organization in motor processing.

Atten, concentration, special orientation.

Pains, blurring, disorientation, etc.

Why present with TBD if eyes are healthy?

80% of what is learned goes through eyes.

BIMODAL VISUAL PROCESSING

1) FOCAL PROCESS (aiming eyes , detail, conctran � all con � Reactive)

2) AMBIENT (special, posture, balance movement, antipates changes . always PROactive)

TBD knocks out organization with motor system � becomese fore right now, can�t orientate to future as in: 2) ambient

Where does the special info GO? Drop down to the m midbrain BEFORE It ever falls on the occipital process.

Superiour Coliculus. Provided info from perfirual - must integrate but . . .

VESTIBULAR OCULAR TRIAC (3 systems) is NOT the only system for balance.

TBD causes problems with:

1. Post trauma vision syndrome. (with spacial collapse) produces�. Movement of print on the page, etc.

He finds with LD pts,

N1, N 75 instead of going strait up, with LD, goes straight DOWN, ccreast cong. Interference.

2. Anterior Visual Midline syndrome

Person will often lean or drift to one side or forward, etc.

Usually, not just left or right but a combineation.

LD can cause High Postural tone, spasticity � high shoulder, limited head, neck movement . ..

FILM was amazing. The patent was just like tme.

GLASSES IMMEDIATELY HELPED HIM WALK. AMAZING � could see right there on the video.

http://www.padulainstitute.com/William_Padula.htm

William V. Padula, OD, DPNAP, FAAO, FNORA

Dr. Padula has written numerous publications including two books titled: Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation and

Neuro Visual Processing: An Integrated Model of Rehabilitation.

He has developed three award winning professional video tapes about vision, Post Trauma Vision Syndrome and Visual Midline Shift Syndrome.

He is the primary author of a chapter on vision in Brain Injury Medicine.

He has also been awarded four U.S. Patents and is currently in private practice in Guilford, Connecticut.

http://www.cfids.org/archives/2001/2001-4-article02.asp

CFIDS Journal
Fall 2001
Visual Dysfunction in CFS
By William V. Padula, O.D., FAAO, FNOR
yoked-prism glasses

Do a Google search for: �yoked-prism glasses�

His office may know of lyme-literate doctors in your area. While there are others who may not be lyme literate who work with the yoked-prism glasses, it would be best to find one who gets the whole picture.

I have no idea if any insurances cover this. However, I think Rotary clubs might be an organization that would consider a grant as they often support vision projects.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/treatment/vestibular-rehab.php

Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy (VRT)

=============================

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/treatment/rehab.html

Balance and Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy

Timothy C. Hain, MD

Excerpts:

. . . There are five reasonable indications for vestibular rehabilitation: . . .

. . . Cawthorne-Cooksey exercises . . . .

. . . Gaze Stabilization Exercises . . . .

=================================

Google Search: Vestibular "TAI CHI� & also: "Vestibular" GINGER
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
YOGA FOR THE EYES can go with any of these other therapies. Just web search for the main site, book and DVD.

BETTER EYESIGHT WITHOUT GLASSES (BATES) - a cornerstone of visual therapy

http://behindthewall.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/22/13418718-can-chinese-eye-exercises-help-prevent-myopia

Chinese Eye Exercise � article, video clip
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This holistic doctor's site and his book are excellent:

http://eyeadvisory.com/

Book & website: THE EYE CARE REVOLUTION - by Robert Abel, Jr. M.D. (Ophthalmologist)

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115258?

ASTAXANTHIN - an antioxidant that has great promise for the eyes

Also be sure to get your FISH OIL - Many here really like OmegaBrite - just Google.

TAURINE is an essential amino acid for the eyes. Be sure your diet includes plenty. Vegetarians MUST supplement as it's primarily in muscle meat, fish and eggs.
-

lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Thx so very much for your help!!!!!! I'm going pay and watch video
sideways
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sideways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lisa,

I don't think I can answer your specific question as my situation is a bit different than yours. But, I'm guessing we're in a similar phase of treatment for our respective problems with this OD.

My eye problems were caused by Lyme and are being exacerbated by Lyme now. I had eye surgery in 1/12 and started having double vision immediately after.

I was also diagnosed with Post Trauma Vision Syndrome, the trauma probably being the surgery and the Lyme. Something probably happened during surgery, but I'll never know what it was.

I have a spatial processing problem and extreme focus. I guess my eyes don't shift from one thing to another easily. I can probably thank the Lyme in my brain for all of that.

I got my prism glasses last week. They aren't helping, but I'm giving it time. I'm not sure if I should be seeing an improvement in my double vision immediately or if I might see improvement over time with doing the eye exercises I was given to do at home.

I've tried prisms before from my regular optometrist, but I couldn't tolerate them. They made my eyes hurt too bad. They continue to hurt every day, actually, even after I ditched the prisms for awhile.

It has made for a very long 17 months. (and counting) [Frown] I'm just hoping I can tolerate prisms now with therapy.

Anyways, I'm interested in how you progress in your treatment with this OD. Keep us posted. [Smile]

Posts: 181 | From Midwest girl gone home | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39743

Thx so much for sharing. Are u also treating Lyme and coinf ? Thx

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement