LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can tick bites make you feel like you have a cold?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can tick bites make you feel like you have a cold?
GreenWings
Member # 40735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreenWings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got bit by a tick a week ago and got a bullseye rash. I started sneezing a lot right after, and now my sinuses are clogged and I'm miserable. I feel like I have a really bad head cold. Coincidence, or can tick bites do that? Do ticks also carry viruses?
Posts: 25 | From CA | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say yes because it usually causes flu-like symptoms.

And yes, they can carry viruses and tons of infections.

I hope you are receiving treatment.

Here is a link to many links on Lyme:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=088555;p=0

Glad you found us! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The onset of Lyme disease can feel like a cold/flu. When I first got ill with Lyme I had pain in sinus areas and felt horrible in general. The dr.'s told me it was a sinus infection and they were WRONG.

Three years later I am still sick and trying to find a way out of this mess.

Since you got a bulls eye rash that means lyme disease and you need treatment immediately!!!
Now, before things get out of hand and become chronic. Action NOW could literally save your life.

Please see a dr. and tell them about the tick bite and bulls eye rash. You should get on an antibiotic pronto, probably doxycycline.

If the dr. doesn't prescribe an antibiotic then find a dr. or lyme literate dr. who will!!

I am sure others will chime in.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greenwings, I just saw your other post and I am soo glad you are getting treatment!! It is very fortunate that you got the bulls eye and were very aware of the situation.

And to answer you question more specifically. Yes, I got sinus pain, runny nose and other cold/flu like symptoms when I first got ill with lyme.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreenWings
Member # 40735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreenWings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigimac I really appreciate you sharing that. It feels exactly like a sinus infection and the regular doctor told me thats probably what it is. But I have family members with Lyme so I knew to go to a Lyme doctor. I'm getting treatment, thank the lord.

The regular doctor just keeps telling me that I have a head cold. It made me second guess things a little bit because I had never heard of someone having sinus symptoms after a bite. But thank you very much for sharing that you did.

Posts: 25 | From CA | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a severe flu (head-cold-like) illness when I was re-infected. A high fever accompanied it. I haven't felt well since then but I didn't have aggressive treatment until months later.

I'm glad you're getting treated by a Lyme doctor right away. It will save you a lot of suffering later.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would you know if you got bitten in the head?
Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the area where the bite occurs hurt ?
Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

You are welcome greenwings! I hope you will feel better soon and I am so happy you got on treatment so soon!
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter got bitten in the head. We didn't know for months. Then one day I found it when French braiding her hair. We took her to the Dr and they surgically removed It. Told us to watch for an infection at the site. Never said a word about lyme. 13 years later she was diagnosed with chronic late stage lyme, after 12 years if progressively worsening health.
Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Yes! Yes! to all your questions. Ticks also carry mycoplasma and relapsing fever, along with babesia and bartonells (which is a bacteria without a cell wall).

It can totally feel like the flu or a cold.

One thing I was told was to be concerned about summer colds because it could be from Lyme.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeMom Kellye, your storey really breaks my heart. Your poor daughter, so have to suffer with chronic late stage lyme when it didn't have to get that far!
Posts: 161 | From vancouver island | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreenWings
Member # 40735

Thank you so much for sharing everyone. I wish that everyone in this thread (and on this website) could have found their tickbite and a knowledgeable doctor and got treatment early like I did. I know I am very lucky.

Second question- can ticks carry any viruses or anything that are contageous? A member of my household now feels like they are getting the flu too.

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GreenWings, please make sure you are on the right dose antibiotic for the right amount of time.

Many doctors will prescribe only 200 mg of Doxy daily (should be 400-600 mg) for 2-3 weeks (should be at least 6 weeks). This is not strong enough or long enough. Early infections that are properly treated are the easiest to cure.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they can carry viruses.

Maybe you've caught a cold on top of the bite though and they caught it from you.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GreenWings, was your family member in the area where you were bitten by a tick?
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreenWings
Member # 40735

My family member now feels sick (flu-like) when they are here at home with me. They have a weak immune system (had Lyme too, but not caught early) so I wonder if I have infections that they can catch.

Sammi, yes...they were right next to me when we suspect I was bit. I know, they could have been bit too...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement