LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » portable FIR sauna

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: portable FIR sauna
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

After having liver issues and not being able to detox on my own EVER, I have sucked it up and am investing in a portable dome FAR sauna.

The natural food shop in my town offers use of their tent type sauna for $1/minute...which is a bit much.

Does this look like a decent detox sauna?

Any tips?

http://www.sunlighten.com/solo-system.html

[ 07-10-2013, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: lax mom ]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lax, try the one available for about a month. If you feel that it is beneficial and something you like to do more often?

A lyme friend of mine has one she uses at home. It's a tent like that she zips herself into, head out. I believe she said it was $200 range. Easily folds up and store away. More true tent looking than what's on this site.

She's uses it frequently and has had it for sometime. Might be worth the investment.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to let you know I had a TERRIBLE experience with Sunlighten!!

Bought one of their cedar sauna's ($$$)and had nothing but issues with it, the sauna would not heat up anywhere near the temp they said it would, door broken when delivered, even found a "strange huge spider" that came with the delivery ( luckily I killed it ).

They tried to blame my electrical system in my home for the sauna not getting to high enough temp then had me "install" PLASTIC reflecting material behind all the heater panels --when I took the heater panels apart I found ALOT of "glue" residue behind them ( just what you would want to be heating up and inhaling as you relax in your sauna!!!)

They are SO nice UNTIL you have a problem and want to return the defective product then WATCH OUT -- you would not believe the stress and harassment they put me through -- but in the end I prevailed.

I would NOT recommend dealing with them AT ALL !!!

Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had very good luck with the 2 person infrared sauna sold at Costco.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a roughly $200 one like what map described, for several months, thought it was well worth it.

I had some MCS at the time and did fine with it. I have heard that those with absolutely severe MCS would struggle with the $200 style as it is made of a plasticy kind of cloth.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I'm really second guessing the Sunlighten product.

LymeXtu: They are sooooooo nice! You are right.

I am now looking for a safe portable tent type. Anyone know a good brand?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I ordered this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Therasage-Ps2002-Portable-Infrared-Sauna/dp/B003Z6ZQQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370981574&sr=8-1&keywords=therasage+sauna

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

nitsuj1225
Member # 39866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitsuj1225     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually just bought the same Therasage sauna a couple weeks ago. One thing that I noticed that helped is to set the temperature on the highest setting and preheat it for about 5-10 minutes before you get in. I noticed I would sweat much quicker if I got in while it was already hot.

If I was in it from the beginning before it warmed up, my body would adjust as the temp rose so it would take about 40 minutes to start sweating.

If I preheat it for 5-10 minutes before getting in, I start sweating in less than 20 minutes. Heat and sweating helps my head pressure so I feel great while I'm in it and for the rest of the night so I've been happy with mine so far. Hopefully it helps you.

[ 06-11-2013, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 20 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbdq
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbdq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lax, I recently purchased the sunlighten dome sauna. I went with them because they acknowledged lyme in their support materials and had endorsements from Dr. K and Dr. Oz. I do feel the dome works well.

I have used a regular room/dry sauna before but wanted something I could use regularly at home and would increase body temp.

Unfortunately the solo pad I bought with it does not work (they are replacing it), some screws broke during assembly, the pieces were labeled wrong and the instructions for assembly were hardly in English.

That being said, I do feel like it works well and within the first week of using it, it sent me into such a herx/flare/tailspin I thought I herniated a disc in my neck but it was a huge symptom flare.

I am hopeful that this sauna will be an integral part of my full recovery. I have been treating 3.5+ years.

[ 06-13-2013, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 233 | From Hudson Valley | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BBinme
Member # 34131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BBinme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mbdq, I also recently purchased a sun lighten dome sauna, but I have not used it yet,scared of major flare reaction like you described.

You said you had a flare within the first week of using it, how often and for how long, and what temperature did you use it at if you don't mind me asking.

I want to start using it, but I heard so badly with everything, thanks for any help, dee

[ 06-13-2013, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 79 | From Maine | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

I got my portable sauna today and hopped in it for just 15 minutes. I started out low and slow. I did break a sweat pretty quickly.

I feel sooo calm now, just like I feel when I've been out in the sun for a bit.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lax mom
Member # 38743

For about 3 hours I felt great...then I needed a nap around 6:30 and had the deepest sleep ever for a nap. I think I need to do the sauna closer to bedtime.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lax mom
Member # 38743

...and then I did it for 15 minutes yesterday and had the worst neuro/brain/anxiety herx/flare/I don't know what to call it, of my entire life.

I don't know if it messed with my medication levels and/or electrolytes, or pulled out toxins from hiding places...or all of the above.

What is the deal??? I cannot tolerate any external detoxes (CSM, BW Detox 2, now this) AND my body can't genetically detox.

Is it hopeless?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer Lax. I was hoping this would work for you. I'm curious about saunas too. Have you tried clay baths?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Now my liver hurts again. It hasn't hurt in about a week.

Catgirl: I have only tried Epsom Salt baths, but can no longer take tub baths (only showers) due to the UTI risk.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll just share my experience with FIR sauna.

I bought one before my Lyme dx, because it always made me feel better. I used it intermittently.

After my dx, I used it more. During the first year of treatment, any amt of time in the sauna caused a herx. But then, in year one, anything caused a herx.

The sauna herxes diminished considerably after the first year of treatment. I can't remember when they went away entirely.

Sauna increases circulation and decreases blood coagulation, so you will get much better abx/herb delivery after a sauna.

Of course the sweating releases toxins, which generally allows more to mobilize out of storage sites.

FIR is used to detox things like exposures to metals and pesticides, so who knows what else is being mobilized.

You could also be getting die-off near the skin surface, as most microbes are temperature sensitive.

Sauna does way more than it seems like it should. I would not give up on this modality, but I would take it very slowly, with reduced session times at lower temps.

Sorry you're struggling. I hope this turns around for you.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lax, have you tried ondamed? It helps with detoxing. It pinpoints areas of inflammation in the body, and helps the cells work properly again.

http://www.ondamed.net/home.html

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Boxermom: Thanks for sharing your experience. I may try it 1x/week...on the lowest setting for about 10 minutes to start.

I know I have elevated lead and previous exposure to pesticides as a child.

Catgirl: No, I haven't tried Ondamed. I looked at that link. The closest practitioner is about 3 hrs away.

Also, last night a lymph node in my neck, along my jaw (where I always get burning pain if I'm not on an antibiotic) became swollen and sore.

[ 06-28-2013, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: lax mom ]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Lax, I felt much better after my first apt. It's like acupuncture only better. It pinpoints and helps to correct areas with inflammation as well as cell function in the body. It also shows whats flaring at the moment, and then the practitioner runs programs to correct the issues in the patient.

I know it's far, but I drive 3 hrs to see my doc. There is a good one about a half hour from your doc too. It might be worth trying.

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

Catgirl: how often do you have Ondamed treatments?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Catgirl
Member # 31149

About every ten days.

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

What temperature can lyme patients tolerate? Maybe lowering it?

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

My LLMD said to take the max Glut pills a half hour BEFORE going in, and not do it everyday. That my body reached it's limit on being able to detox the 1st day...then the 2nd day, I obviously killed of some bugs.

Catgirl: Mine doesn't have temperatures, only levels 1-5. The 2nd day, I immediately went up to level 5 and stayed there...BAD IDEA. I thought I was ok because I didn't break a big sweat, just a slight one.

I'm not giving up on it. I will try again next week.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thanks Lax. I'm going to try it at a low temp.

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

Ok, I tried it again today. I took the max of liposomal Glut pills half hour before.

I only stayed in 10 minutes on the lowest setting of "1". I also drank a quart of sugar free Powerade afterward. (I know fake sugar isn't ideal...but I want the electrolytes replenished).

I was actually surprised that I broke a sweat.

I'm not gonna do another session until next week. Hopefully, gradually weaning up will make this tolerable.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Right on Lax! Keep us posted! :)

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

I did the same last week, but moved up to level "2". I did fine.

Today, I'm going to do level "2" for 11 minutes.

Those of you who are scared of flaring too much, extremely slow is the way to go.

If I do ok with this level, I'm going to try using the sauna every 3rd day (since it corresponds with the days I can take the max Glut pills).

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor recommended that I alternate in the shower afterwards between warm and cool to support the detoxing, also that we take a scoop or two of Takesumi activated charcoal in a liquid of some kind afterwards, with a fatty meal. It also helps with internal bile detox.

[ 07-24-2013, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Robin: where do you get that type of activated charcoal?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lax mom
Member # 38743

Well, I pushed myself too much. Every 3 days was too much detoxing for my body. So, I will go back to 1x/week. Hopefully by next week I'll have the Takesumi charcoal and it will help.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement