LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia Notes -- Buhner Conference 6/15/13

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia Notes -- Buhner Conference 6/15/13
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to start by making a few general comments.

Stephen Buhner graciously gave permission for attendees at the workshop to record the conference. He made a statement that he does not like people to make lots of money from treating tickborne patients.

He also believes that patients know their own bodies best and suggested that herbalists spend at least one hour per appointment and that they obtain a complete list of symptoms from patients -- physical, mental and spiritual. He also does not think it matters in what order the infections are treated. His general approach is to treat the most bothersome acute symptoms first.

I also want to mention that Buhner feels that tickborne diseases are so serious that he would advise treatment with antibiotics and prescription meds FIRST or in conjunction with herbs. His original protocol came about because as we all know antibiotics do not work for everyone and for financial reasons many can't afford IV meds or have difficulty locating physicians who are willing to treat chronic infections. He says that all of his protocols can be combined with meds.

The presentation on babesia was in the afternoon and was actually one of the shorter segments of the workshop. But it is the topic I was most interested in for personal reasons (as many of you know my husband,Steve Seibert, died from complications of babesia on 10/9/12 after a 12 year illness with multiple tickborne infections).

Some of these notes have been previously posted by other conference attendees but I am reposting them in a separate thread for ease in locating them later.

Babesia is only transmitted by a tick or to the fetus by the mother or even more rarely by blood transfusion.

There are 110 species of babesia and 10 infect humans. He did not list those. I did a quick literature search and could only come up with 6 or 7 species listed below.

Babesia microti (animal reservoir is rodents)

Babesia duncani or WA-1 or CA5 (animal reservoir unknown) -- discovered in Washington state and California but NOT limited to those states -- actually may be more prevelant than babesia microti in the US

Babesia divergens (animal reservoir is bovines -- cattle) -- most common species in Europe

Babesia KO1 (animal reservoir is ovines -- sheep) -- discovered in Korea

Babesia MO1 -- discovered in Missouri

Babesia CA6 or WA2 clone -- discovered in California and Washington state

Babesia EU1 -- discovered in Europe

I also want to make the comment that Buhner says he reads every medical journal article that he can access that has been published on a topic when researching his books. He is currently about half way thru writing a book on babesia. He also mentioned that there is a new Chinese database which has links to lots of herbal info not published elsewhere.

Supposedly 10 percent of the U.S. population is infected with babesia although many are unsymptomatic.

Buhner praised the Chinese herbalist Dr Z for being the first to use artemesia to treat babesia in the U.S.

Babesia attacks the lungs, lymph, liver and spleen.

Buhner thinks it is the easiest infection to treat -- obviously I would disagree with this.

According to Buhner 30 days of herbs often clears a babesia infection although it can be relapsing.

Just as with lyme and all the other coinfections Buhner believes that the immune system is key to keeping the infection under control.

A lot of the info below is new and updated and NOT what was in his original Healing Lyme book.

Buhner believes that artemisinin is a good treatment for babesia. He does not generally prescribe standardized extracts of herbs but feels that artemesinin works better than the whole plant.

But for long term use (I think he meant in excess of a year or two) he would advise using the whole herb. His book Herbal Antibiotics, 2nd edition covers artemesia annua in depth. The top 1/3 above ground part of the plant is the most potent.

Buhner mentioned 2 different tinctures that can be used for babesia. I think he meant that you should use one or the other combo and not both together. But the tinctures can be used concurrently with artemesia or artemisinin and also combined with malaria meds and anti-parasitic meds.

The first babesia tincture combo is equal parts -- bidens pilosa (actually any bidens species will do), sida acuta, and alchornea. Dose is 1/4 teaspoon 3 times daily for 30 days.

The source -- check with Woodland Essence or Julie.

Note: Hubby did this for a month or two while he was on other babesia meds including malarone, doxy, and lariam. I am pretty sure we used a higher dose and unfortunately for Steve I don't think this tincture did much.

The 2nd babesia tincture is equal parts cryptolepis and bursea javonica. The dose is 1/2 teaspoon 3 times daily for 30 days.

The bursea javonica is a new herb and currently only available from Sage Woman Herbs. About 10 years or so ago there was a journal article where they tested a number of Indonesian herbs against malaria and babesia which included this herb. If I remember correctly the Byron White A-bab formula includes most of the herbs from that list. Two or 3 years ago I tried to locate a source of the bursea javonica and could not find one.

Since Woodland Essence has been importing the cryptolepis the African village that supplies them has been able to build schools and other improvements to infrastructure. According to Buhner, in Africa many drink cryptolepis tea on a regular daily basis to prevent or treat malaria.

Note: I have posted numerous times in the past that the first time hubby took cryptolepis was when we knew that babesia and/or bartonella were his worst infections. For the first time in 8 years his Parkinsonian tremors and multiple times daily seizure-like spells stopped.

But he had to take a very high dose of crytolepis to get results -- he took 1 tablespoon 3 times daily -- the suggested dose used to be 1 teaspoon 3 times daily. Unfortunately at that time the herb was in short supply and then it became unavailable for about 6 months. Hubby's symptoms started returning in about 2 weeks when we started decreasing the dose. He was only on the maximum dose for about 2 weeks but was on the lower dose for probably 4 months -- took about a month to build up to the high dose

At that time he was not on aggressive babesia meds -- just alinia and Bactrim plus rifampin and low dose minocycline and low dose Zithromax I think.

Anyway Buhner still considers cryptolepis the number one systemic antibacterial herb. He does not feel that there are contraindications to long term use.

A homeopathic remedy called SEPIA is supposedly useful for recalcitrant babesia -- meaning infections that will not go away. Hubby never tried this. -- 30c -- follow directions on package

Also Buhner mentioned a nutritional supplement which he said counteracts babesia symptoms. He did not say which symptoms. PROTRYPSIN -- only available from MetaGenics. Dose 4 tablets 3 times daily. The chymotrypsin is the active ingredient. That ingredient is also in chlorella at a lower concentration.

Note VitaCost carries this product -- 120 tablets PROTRYPSIN costs 45.25

2 tablets of MetaGenics brand protrypsin contains 6000 USP units (3000 USP units per tablet) of chymotrypsin compared to Wobenzym which contains 900 FIP units or 3 mg per 3 tablets (300 FIP units per tablet). If USP units and FIP units are the same -- don't know if they are or not??? -- then the protrysin has 10 times as much chymotrypsin as wobenzym.

Hubby took 5 wobenzyme 1 or 2 times daily for several years.

Other symptom control herbs for babesia include Chinese (Baikal) skullcap and kudzu -- will discuss those more in future posts on the rest of the workshop.

For low platelets -- the herb salvia miltiorrhiza also called Dan Shen. Steve took this herb for a while on the advice of an herbalist and felt it was good for liver detox.

Angelica sinensis tincture -- turns off septic shock -- 1 tablespoon every 30 minutes

Also according to Buhner cryptolepis works on shortness of breath and air hunger from babesia. Those were never major symptoms for hubby so I can't say if it helps with those symptoms or not.

Red root tincture is good for spleen issues. Hubby took 2 or 3 droppers at least 2 times daily for several years.

That is about all the notes I took on babesia.

Please research any herb for potential side effects and drug interactions before taking.

Bea Seibert

Editing to add -- When hubby tried the cryptolepis again he could not tolerate the side effects and never got to the high dose.

During the audience questions I asked Buhner if he felt babesia could develop tolerance/resistance to the herbs and he said no. I am not sure what my opinion is on that -- pretty sure I have read that malaria is developing tolerance/resistance for artemesia and the various derivatives of that herb.

Edit #2 -- Wanted to mention that Buhner stated that the doses are only suggestions -- with all his protocols. Some people just need a few drops and others need the maximum dose. Every person is unique and their responses will be unique as well.

Also wanted to add that Buhner suggests taking all herbs with pomegranate juice. Says it is synergistic -- makes the herbs more effective.

Edit #3 -- I accidentally left out mention of Chinese (Baikal) skullcap to lower anxiety and kudzu to shut down cytokine storms. These actually seem to be some of Buhner's new favorite herbs. More details will be included with lyme notes.

Also Buhner still suggests boneset tea for use with babesia.

[ 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: seibertneurolyme ]

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for posting this.

I'm a little surprised, he made no mention of quinine (cinchona tree bark)?

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael,

Pretty sure he did not mention quinine. That herb has more side effects than the other herbs he listed.

Hubby did the IV clindamycin and oral quinine combo at full IDSA dosing. I think he did 4 rounds of 10 day cycles and 2 rounds of 21 day cycles -- he took breaks of 10 days in between where he continued the clindamycin at lower doses and stayed on the other 3 meds.

After the first 4 rounds which were combined with high dose malarone, high dose doxycycline and high dose lariam his babesia duncani titer (WA1) decreased from 1:2048 to 1:512

Then about 6 months later his titer had gone negative, but he had a positive bloodslide from Clongen for babesia like blood borne parasites. He had been on the 3 prescription meds I listed above the entire time.

That is when we got more aggressive and added oral flagyl and oral ivermectin to the other 3 meds. Also added back artemisinin (had done that in the past for a couple of years continuously). After about 4 months on that combo he stopped all antiparasitics, antimalarials, antibiotics and killing herbs for the first time in 3 years. Symptoms of sweats and headaches were coming back but the Parkinsonian tremors and myoclonus and seizure-like episodes stayed away until after the 2nd tickbite when only the seizure-like episodes returned.

Note: Hubby's Parkinsonian tremors and myoclonus and dystonia and seizure-like episodes went away when he started back on IV Rocephin. At that time he had finally gotten a clean bloodslide from Clongen which did not show gram negative coccobacilli for the first time in several years.

Hubby treated bart aggressively for about 1 1/2 years with minocycline and low dose Zithromax and rifampin and arginine. Then he treated lyme aggressively with IV rocephin and Zithromax for 6 months. Then we treated babesia aggressively for about 1 1/2 years before he took the couple of months off. He died 6 months after resuming meds.

Then Steve got the 2 new tickbites and even though he resumed pretty much the same combo of meds he still had a positive blood slide from Clongen while in the hospital and PCR test from Fry showed 3 different babesia like blood borne parasites after death.

I think it is very much trial and error to see what if anything will work on your particular strain of babesia.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said

quote:
Babesia attacks the lungs, lymph, liver and spleen.
Does this mean it is more than bloodborne?

And you said cryptoleptis best antibacterial. But the discussion was about its use with a protozoan. Was this a typo, or was he saying it would be used with lyme too?

And Angelica for septic shock? Some people think a herx is something like septic shock because it involves excess inflammation. Does this suggest it would work for herx?

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for posting this. Great info
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poppy - Babesia does remain in the vessels. The infected RBC stick to the endothelial layers of the smallest capillaries, inhibiting circulation and movement of oxygen, nutrients, immune and inflammatory cells, etc.

(EGCG from green tea inhibits the formation of the material that adheres the RBC to the vessels.)

This happens systemically, but is especially problematic in the organs/systems mentioned, plus the brain. I believe the organism has affinity for these areas, and the resulting blockages and inflammation can result in significant dysfunction and damage.

We hear a lot about Bart making a fibrin layer in the capillaries, and lots of patients report neuropathies and numbness due to poor circulation.

This also happens with Babesia. (The clogging not the fibrin.) My cold hands and feet have always been associated with Babs in my peripheral capillaries. I've also experienced numbness that resolved with Babs' treatment.

I don't know about the rest.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bea
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Poppy -- Boxermom did a good job of explaining how babesia sequesters itself. I am not sure if it is proven or just assumed that it has adhesive factors which are very similar to those found in malaria.

As for the cryptolepis -- Buhner has been suggesting that for bart and babs for several years. It is not part of the lyme protocol but works on many other infections. Will have more about that in my other posts.

I will be posting a thread on the things Buhner suggested would help with herxes later tonight.

He talked a lot about cytokine cascades and how he picks herbs which are supposed to stop the cytokine cascade specific to whatever organism he is treating.

A cytokine storm is actually the same as sepsis I think he said. Cytokine cascades are less severe reactions and what most people would call a herx I think.

I think the mention of angelica sinensis may have been in response to a question, but need to listen to my recording to confirm that.

What I posted above is from my notes. I may have a little more to add after listening to my recording.

Bea Seibert

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Boxermom,

I think Buhner did mention ECGC briefly but in some other part of the workshop. I know hubby did try that a time or two and I think it resulted in at least one ER visit if I remember correctly. There is a journal article on that somewhere and it should come up in a search of LymeNet.

Bea Seibert

Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for sharing Bea [Smile]
Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this Bea!

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post all of those details from Buhner's talk, plus other info you provided.

I'm sure this info will be helpful to many people.

I appreciate your very detailed notes and your willingness to share them.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the great info, Bea.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much, Bea. My heart goes out to you for what you and hubby went through in your battle to get him well. It is so discouraging...
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very helpful Bea. Thanks for attending and taking notes for us [Smile]

Looking forward to the herxing thread as well!

--------------------
Just a catepillar, full of imaginal buds.

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn Bea, I'm only 15 minutes from Sturbridge, wish I'd known you were going. You could have stayed with me or at least we could have met up.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,

First, I'm sorry about your loss. Thank you for paving a way and helping all of us. Thank you so much for your post. I think we are all here to learn and help each other. I believe Dr.K is now saying that one of the main problems is parasites in the bile ducts. According to my LLMD who took notes from him he is having good success doing an MMS enema following his directions. He said it goes and kills the parasites in the bile ducts and it doesn't change the intestinal flora. I hope to try this soon as my LLMD recommended it.

Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Tracy9,

Sorry I missed you. I had planned to connect up with Rumigirl but then she was unable to attend.

The seminar was definitely worth the drive.

Bea Seibert

riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Bea,

Your kindness and determination to help others is so heart-opening for me. Thank you for sharing your notes, your experience and for being an ongoing support for so many who suffer from tick-born illness.

Thank you with all my heart.....

One question I have, that others may have as well: Did Steve have testing for genetic mutations? My sense is that some of us cannot handle some of the herbs because of difficulty with detox pathways.

When i took 9 drops of artemesia annua tincture, I had the most severe case of vertigo I've ever had. It was scary and not anything I'd want to have again. This is not your daily dizziness (which I experience already)....this was not being able to move even slightly in bed.

As soon as I stopped the artemesia annua it went away, so that one was clear.

Much appreciation again for your ongoing support!

Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bea,

This thread has been a wonderful source of info for me.

Thank you so much for posting the babesia info from Buhner.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good info. Thanks.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great notes. Thanks very much.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question: how does Dr K know that these things are happening, ie; parasites in the bile ducts, when no one else knows this? Curious.

"Dr.K is now saying that one of the main problems is parasites in the bile ducts. "

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement