LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Light sensitivity? Anyone severely light sensitive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Light sensitivity? Anyone severely light sensitive?
tia
Member # 41134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have developed severe light sensitivity this year and read it could be a side effect of Lyme. Has anyone else had this problem? Florescent lighting is the worst. I wear the FL41 glasses full time now. I originally thought this was just migraines. Love to chat with anyone else in this situation.
Posts: 2 | From ct | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tia, hi! I see you are new here. welcome. yes, I have extreme sensitivity; light leads to migraines. do the fl41 glasses help?
Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have pretty major light sensitivity. Have never heard of FL41 glasses - what are they?

Thanks,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I developed light sensitivity within three years after the tick bite and continued to have it for the next 25 years, wearing sun glasses usually.

After I found out I had Lyme, my chiropractor suggested I try drinking mangosteen juice, an anti-inflammatory juice. Within 24 hours, all Lyme eye symptoms disappeared!

You can find mangosteen juices in healthfood stores and online. If you want to try it, I recommend the Mango-Xan version, as it is the most tart.

I recommend going slowly, to see how you do, and drink water too. I currently drink around 3/4 oz 2x/day.

We're all different in how we respond to remedies.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Tia!

I was very light sensitive last year. I don't know what reduced it though. I still have it, but no where near where the level it was last year.

I have worked on parasites and heavy metals this past year. Maybe one of those did it. I've heard mangosteen reduces eye floaters. Eye floaters turned out to be parasites for me (treatment helped rid me of floaters).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, me too. Never heard of FL41 glasses, though. Maybe you can tell us about them.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have extreme light sensitivity. My doctor said to wear shooting (yellowish) glasses around the house for it but I didn't like wearing them. I THINK that is what FL41 glasses are. My doc also said that you can have your regular glasses tinted with it.

My sound sensitivity has diminished.

-LAXlover
75% of family or more with TBD

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
My computer is in a closet (door is removed so it's really more of an alcove) but I would prefer it in a nice bright open room, my eyes just can't handle that. And the closet helps my ears by buffering some of the leaf blowers that seem to be so prevalent.

Just as with sound senstivity (hyperacusis) MAGNESIUM can help.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM LINKS sets

----------------

INNER EAR issues, often from lyme can cause all kinds of problems with vision, including trouble tolerating FlUORESCENT LIGHTS, and sensitivity. If you have ANY balance or ear issues, especially, see detail below.

Things that help hyperacusis can also often help light sensitivity:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

-------------

While lyme & other tick-borne and chronic stealth infections, and nutrient deficiencies can cause light sensitivity and hyperacusis, certain food additives can make that much worse:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors.

----------------

The antioxidants in many of the liver support options can help calm light sensitivity and hyperacusis.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

[ 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This holistic doctor's site and his book are excellent:

http://eyeadvisory.com/

Book & website: THE EYE CARE REVOLUTION - by Robert Abel, Jr. M.D. (Ophthalmologist)

-
Though not at all about lyme, this is one of the best reference resources on my bookshelf that has wonderful chapters, many graciously available through their website.

Home: http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/

The ONE EARTH HERBAL SOURCEBOOK (Tilltoson, et.al.)

He is a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine; She a doctor of Oriental Medicine and Acupuncturist. The third co-author is a doctor of optometry.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115258?

ASTAXANTHIN - an antioxidant that has great promise for the eyes

Also be sure to get your FISH OIL - Many here really like OmegaBrite - just Google.

TAURINE is an essential amino acid for the eyes. Be sure your diet includes plenty. Vegetarians MUST supplement as it's primarily in muscle meat, fish and eggs.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Since I've been taking Berberine, my eyes seem much better, not in the normal range yet but I do notice improvement with being able to be in a room bathed in sunlight.

I also no longer need my glasses to watch TV. I had a mild to moderate prescription but it's been amazing to no longer need those. Still need reading glasses, though.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE � LINKS SET
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Even with all the options that can HELP, addressing lyme is of utmost importance, utmost. Other tick-borne infections should also be assessed.

Do you have an ILADS educated lyme literate doctor and are you getting proper treatment?

Oh, I just checked and see that you posted just yesterday for a LLMD. Good luck.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Tia,

As for fluorescent lights, when possible, avoid them. When you can't these seem to help but best to just not be around fluorescents at all if you can help it.

Thanks for the name of these glasses. Seem promising as another support tool. They may be a big help DURING lyme treatment, with other support that addresses the cellular level of things, too. These will not correct the issues but can help ease torment along the way for some.

I had some of these with nearly the exact specifications (if I recall correctly) years ago (when I thought I might start the Marshall Protocol) and had trouble with the wrap-around style heating up and steaming up (no air circulation) but also I just can't handle frames of any kind on my face unless I'm sitting still.

Still, for others, sure worth a look, and,

TIA, do you have advice for those who may want to order, regarding the fit so there is some air flow?

http://www.theraspecs.com/fl-41-glasses/

TheraSpecs FL41 glasses
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Tia,

Do you notice these helping to calm FLASHES when unexpected photos are snapped around you?
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A different kind of glasses to consider that help many with specifically COLORED LENSES:

http://irlen.com/index.php

IRLEN lenses
-

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Irlen lenses. The ones that I ended up getting were primarily yellow, with some blue and some brown mixed in. Interesting it turned out quite different than the color of the FL41 lenses.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gagamooppop
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gagamooppop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was one of my first symptoms and was super intense! Wore sunglasses when I could but went away with treatment.
Posts: 183 | From ... | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very sensitive to light and use Transitions XTRActive lenses. They have a slight tint indoors and are very dark outside.

http://en-us.transitions.com/Products/Transitions-XTRActive/

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Light sensitivity and dryness was the worst problem I had the first year after I was bitten. I had to wear sunglasses in the house.

It has gotten better with treatment but my eyes are still dry. I would advise you not to take magnesium because 80% of us are testing positive for protomyxzoa, which uses magnesium to build biofilm. Everyone I know of with PR has dry irritated eyes.

I was surprised when I was diagnosed with cataracts a couple of months ago. I read that infections can cause them. The doctor told me cataracts can cause light sensitivity and glare. They also make it hard to see at night.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SusanH
Member # 40582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SusanH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I failed my eye exam for my driver's license even with my contacts in because my eyes had gotten so bad during the past six months.

I went for another prescription and my eye script went from +1.25 to +2.75 in just six months with lyme.

My eyes were so sensitive to light six months ago, nobody could turn on a light without me wincing and closing my eyes. I wore sunglasses at work to help.

Eye sensitivity, a swollen knee, and a rash on my palms and soles were the initial symptoms I had that I noticed. Which all means lyme & co. have had some time to travel.

Susan H.

Posts: 83 | From Sarasota, Fla | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SusanH
Member # 40582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SusanH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading Buhner's book and understanding lyme's love of viscous fluid, I now understand why the eyes are so heavily affected.

I'm looking forward to something that might treat the eyes as a topical perhaps.

Posts: 83 | From Sarasota, Fla | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement