LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Very upset - may NEED to put daughter on prednisone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very upset - may NEED to put daughter on prednisone
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter,

(you know, the one that had "Crohn's Disease and asthma for 6-7 years and was cured of these things after 1 1/2 years of Lyme treatment but was beginning Babesia treatment)

was doing so very well until the end of the school year. She was not getting her rest because of studying for finals, end of year parties and such.

She developed her 1st cold in a long time. It progressed into a cough. Then she started needing her "rescue" inhaler the last day of school. (Hadn't needed that for 2 yrs.)

It's been downhill ever since and 4-6 doc appointments and phone calls.

We moved her to adding a steroid inhaler. Improved a day or two and then worsened.

Then we moved her to add in atrovent inhaler (lung "muscle relaxer").
Improved a day or two and then worsened.

Her oxygen level has been 94-96% range. Doc gave her oral dose of pred one time which brought her up to 100%. Didn't last.

So now we have ANOTHER appt for today and I KNOW they are going to want to give her the prednisone 5-7 day pack. I KNOW it will help her in the short run.

I DREAD the potential longer term consequences. I am a wreak :-(

Sometimes I just want to run away from it all. ALL I DO IS TAKE CARE OF SICK PEOPLE AND WORRY ALL THE TIME. So afraid her crohn's symptoms may return and the "asthma" may stay.

Any suggestions? Is there something homeopathic or less harmful that prednisone?

-LAXlover
75% or more with Lyme/coinfections
waiting for hubby's CD-57 test to come back

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is she still treating for babesia?

Obviously her prior asthma complicates things, but the cough could be a babesia symptom. For several years hubby had a mild unproductive cough until he treated his babesia more aggressively.

Buhner suggests cryptolepis for shortness of breath and air hunger so that might be worth a try.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An essential oils blend called RC rubbed on the feet (especially on the lung area - can look up a foot reflexology chart online) can help reduce airway constriction.

Also, some find relief with a salt pipe inhaler. Apparently, breathing salty air can reduce the airway irritation in those with Asthma.

And what about Singulair (it is generic now) - would that help any?

Homeopathy: Bryonia is for Asthma & bronchitis. May need to take it every hour initially, and then can reduce to every 4 hours or 4x/day until symptoms improve.

Nebulizers are also more effective than inhalers. Might discuss trying something non-steroidal in a nebulizer to see if that helps...

Acupuncture is another option to try, if you know of a very skilled practitioner...

I also agree with Bea that treating with Babesia herbs may help.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got rid of my SEVERE rush me to the hospital asthma using antiparasitic herbs and salt/c. Also had many bouts of bronchitis and pneumonia. Coughing can be from lungworms. Antiparasitics is something you might want to condsider asap.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There are so many choices besides steroids. Here's a very promising one (in addition to addressing the full spectrum of infections, of course, including BABESIA and parasites that often travel with lyme - as Bea and Gael suggest above):

http://www.amazon.com/Promise-Dose-Naltrexone-Therapy-ebook/dp/B002MUAEOS

The Promise of Low Dose Naltrexone Therapy:

Potential Benefits in Cancer, Autoimmune, Neurological and Infectious Disorders

- by Elaine A. Moore & Samantha Wilkinson

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If steroids are required in a life-saving emergency, be sure to contact her LLMD for the safest way to do this - and for other ideas.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/100984?#000000

Topic: what do STEROIDS actually do to those with lyme?

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123939;p=0

Topic: Minor surgery and steriods - complications from steroids that were not supposed to be administered.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Not sure if she is gluten-free &/or diary-free. If not, either (or both) can make a wonderful difference.

Gluten and Dairy can really affect lungs, too. Some detail here. Especially see Mark Bittman's NYT articles - and reader comments about DAIRY. Amazing recovery many made by leaving that behind.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors;

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Carol in PA has shared detail about this fabulous method.

Web search: HIMALYAN SALT PIPE, asthma

------------------------------

A LL ND (naturopathic doctor) or LL acupuncturist to guide her would be a very good idea.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

-----------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy);

D.C. (Doctor of Chiropractic);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc.

(Be aware that those in some categories can have zero or various levels of formal herbal &/or nutritional education, perhaps even just a short course. Do ask first.)

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches.

BASIC HERBAL EDUCATIONAL & SAFETY links,

BODY WORK links with safety tailored to lyme patients, etc.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Is she taking anything with acetaminophen in it? If so, that can CAUSE lung trouble.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/health/evidence-mounts-linking-acetaminophen-and-asthma.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

December 2011

Studies Suggest an Acetaminophen-Asthma Link

Excerpt:

. . . Even a single dose of acetaminophen can reduce the body�s levels of glutathione, a peptide that helps repair oxidative damage that can drive inflammation in the airways, researchers have found. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Powders, sprays, scents . . . fluffy rugs . . . fluffy decorations . . . are usually all best avoided.

You may also want to consider changing out any showerheads.

Web Search: bacteria, shower+head

---------

And, with your signature, loving LAX, if she has recently been in S. California or the SW U.S., you should consider VALLEY FEVER, too (a fungal infection spread by winds).

One of the top PBS News Hour just had a special report on that last week.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/124955

Valley Fever (fungal infection, SW U.S.)

Articles, video and audio clips, recent (just last week on PBS NewsHour)
-

LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions, I hope to be able to go through everything soon.

UPDATE: Just returned back from the pediatrician and he thinks he now hears MYCOPLASMA in the lungs.

He prescribed zithro and

a five day course of prednisone;-(

I will start her immediately on the zithro and of course I'm very hesitant on the pred. My mind is numb from feeling overwhelmed and frantic.

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Unless she is in a life-threatening situation, I hope you will hold off on the steroids. Please read articles in that steroid thread and consider other ways to reduce inflammation, starting with MAGNESIUM.

Does she have a LLMD?

If she has mycoplasma, that could be chronic. See Garth Nicolson's work. I'll be back with a link.

Most LLMDs know about mycoplasma, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Prof. Garth Nicholson's research in Mycoplasma is to be commended. He does not treat. Still, he is THE expert researcher in this field. Here is his main site:

http://www.immed.org/

MYCOPLASMA

------------

He also spoke a the 2011 ILADS Conference in Toronto. You can view the first ten minutes of that - and purchase the DVD here:

http://www.ilads.org/media/videos/videos_nicolson.php

Garth Nicolson, PhD Video

New Research on Lipid Replacement Therapy to improve mitochondrial and membrane function in complex infections.

As I recall, he may have also spoken at ILADS 2012 conference. Be sure to search ILADS site for all his links.

--------------------------------

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1402210

Pro Heatlh�s ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia Message Board

Dr Nicolson - 9/13/10 (consider that there may be newer information now, go back to his website)

Q & A about mycoplasma testing
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
To help lessen inflammation:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM LINKS sets

Pulling out just a few of the posts from that fuller set:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1725934/

The role of magnesium in the emergency department

http://magnesiumforlife.com/medical-application/magnesium-in-neurological-diseases-and-emotions/

Magnesium in Neurological Diseases and Emotions

. . . Natural Emergency Medicine when used in emergency situations. . . .

More detail at main thread link.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You could probably find a SALT PIPE today, too. It really would not even have to be a "pipe" that you purchase. You can get the right kind of salt and devise a breathing tube from clean paper for now.

Salt Therapy has made huge improvements for many, world-wide. Some kids with lung illnesses have actually even lived for weeks in a salt cave, with great success. Somewhere in Europe, I think. Easily searched. For a start:

http://www.salttherapy.ca/whatissalttherapy.php

SALT THERAPY
-

OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a person with severe asthma, in the long term you can look at parasite treatment including

babs, but in the short term, your daughter can't breathe. The zith should keep the lyme in check.

The doctor is weighing the lesser of two evils. How far is the hospital from your house if your daughter goes into stat asthma? Some herbs can

cause allergic reactions, beware of this such as echinacea which is a relative of ragweed. Hyssop

and thyme are touted as lung herbs, but you probably want to consult with a naturopath.

Get her lungs stable and her airways less reactive. Some infections I have had as an

asthmatic do nothing but irritate the lungs. Others create copious amounts of sputum, but do

not cause airway reactivity. There has been some kind of respiratory thing going around, maybe she

has this on top of a developing mycoplasma.

Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

I've given her the zithro, magnesium and she's watching TV with the salt pipe for now......

LLMD said to do the 5 day pred because this has been going on far too long.

Any other suggestions for supplements for the inflammation?

I have a ton of things in my "Dr. bag"!!!!! or my "bag of tricks" as my entire family calls it/them. Yes, I have several bags full of supps and herbs, etc, which I "hoard"!

--------------------
LAXlover

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, glad the LLMD (who knows her well) weighed in on this and that abx on are board.

You likely keep them apart and just listed them together but, just to be sure, magnesium is best taken away from antibiotics. As can calcium, magnesium can lower the therapeutic dose in the body when taken too close together.

Hope she finds some good relief.
-

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through a similar situation last winter. When I went to my docs office I sounded so bad they told me I had to go on prednisone. I told them I really needed an alternative. They agreed to let me try Qvar. Its a steroid inhaler. I made an appt with my pulmonologist for the next day. He took a listen and reiterated the need for prednisone and then lectured me how dangerous it was not to go on it. I went home and tried the Qvar as well as kept up with the nebulizer treatments telling myself if things got any worse I would have to go on it. Fortunately the Qvar helped alot. It is different than other steroid inhalers as it can be used more often, not like advair. BUT it is not a rescue inhaler. You should call and see if they would let her try it.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Keebler, darn it, I gave her the mag-tab SL (slow release) about 1/2 hour after the zith. I will keep them apart in the future. Thanks!

Ellen101, she did the QVAR (80 mcg)for the last week to no avail :-( ...... her primary REALLY tried hard not to do the pred but she is just not getting better.

I just got off the telephone with my Mom. I was telling her that I don't know what I would do or where I would be without all of my LymeNet friends and my LLMD, sniffle.......

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

-LAXlover
75% or more of family with Lyme & crap
Waiting for hubby's CD-57 results etc.

--------------------
LAXlover

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need Vitamin D for Prednisone to work, so she doesn't have to be on it for as long...and Vit. D also prevents steroid resistance with Asthma (I've read research on pubmed about this...).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of great advice above. But I wouldn't give her anymore steroids. Steroids drive lyme deeper. You can never undo the damage they cause. Treat her babs and most of all parasites and ditch the steroids.

Gael got rid of her severe asthma with parasite treatment. And I breathe SO MUCH BETTER since treating for parasites (profound difference). It took a while for me to grasp this parasite thing, but I'm so glad I did. My sinus issues/allergies are even gone.

Run from the docs who want her on steroids. It's a bad move, IMO.

Listen to Gael. Parasites are THE number one co infection with lyme (ILADS). Humaworm, parastroy, salt/C, etc are great alternatives.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

I'm sorry, but I disagree with the statement that one can never undo steroid damage. There are nutritional and other things one can do to undo the damage.

--------------------
-Razzle

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know people who only got worse on steroids, and their lives were never the same. It's just not worth the risk, IMO.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both of my LLNP's told me if I need prednisone due to my asthma to do it. Breathing comes first they said. People who sit here and tell you not to do it have never experienced what its like not to be able to breathe. She has to be able to breathe and if she needs the prednisone to do so then you do it.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

quote:
Originally posted by Ellen101:
People who sit here and tell you not to do it have never experienced what its like not to be able to breathe.

Not so (assumption).

--------------------

LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

My HOPE is that her Lyme is "gone" or at a very, very, very low level and will not have a negative affect on my daughter. She has not had her symptoms of crohn's for about a year now. We treated a long time after the "D", blood, and gut-pain went away. She was on the SCDiet for 5-6 years. she now can eat everything again.

I think that if her CD-57 wasn't so low, she would have been finished her treatment awhile ago. It's the CD-57 that is having our LLMD treat for potential babs. She has not tested positive for it (yet).

She is now age 15, has walking pneumonia and it makes her labor to breathe. She has been sick now for over a month and a half. The doctor could hear yesterday that her lungs were getting worse.

Last night my daughter told me that she NEEDS the prednisone and I felt a little guilty for not yet filling the script. So at 12:30 in the morning I found an all night pharmacy and filled the 5 day dose of pred. Couldn't wake her up to take the 1st dose.

She took her first dose just now.

As Otter said, hopefully the zith will keep whatever Lyme she has left "in check". She needs to be able to breathe. She is also still on the 3 different inhalers.

Razzle, thank you for the info on Vit D (D3 I hope) and I will put her back on that.

I DO plan on getting her back on the coartem and clindy asap this week for babs.

Being the parent of a sick child is IMO the hardest job there is. I have been doing it since she initially got sick when she was 7 years old. It has taken a toll on me. I am NOT the happy, go-lucky person I used to be. Making decisions about my healthcare is so much easier.

-LAXlover
75%+? of family with Lyme & crap

--------------------
LAXlover

Catgirl
Member # 31149

I feel for you Lax (hang in there). I hope she feels better soon.

--------------------

Ellen101
Member # 35432

I think you made the best and safest decision for your daughter. I hope she starts to feel better soon. Keep us posted.
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are an amazing Mother. You have worked so hard, God bless.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement