LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  56  57  58   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another weird point to consider for anyone interested in research.

Stephen Buhner mentions L-Arginine as being helpful for Babesia. If you research this, it does a lot the same as mHBOT as it increases oxidation.

If you look into this online, taking L-Arginine with hyperbaric was actually found to be beneficial...for example they thought it would provoke seizures in mice and here it helped!

Some scientific web pages went on to say that people who respond to hyperbarics are those who are naturally higher in oxidative species.

I don't have any links but it is definitely on the web. I personally am taking Arginine and feel like it gave me a small boost... and I do NOT respond to supplements or herbs.

My question is why would higher body oxidation increase protection from MORE oxidation?

I mentioned this to my Dr. and he said oxidation does so many things in the body...he said he was going to research it but never heard if he did. Maybe I will ask him today, as I have an appointment.

interesting stuff...

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
foxy loxy...

Hyperbaric stimulates more natural antioxidant production in the body, which may mitigate the effects of excessive free radicals...

(Remember, though that free radicals are an important part of keeping pathogens in check, and even stimulate healing in some ways...)

L-Arginine and mHBOT both increase nitric oxide (NO) levels which is linked with stem cell release and other beneficial effects.

(However, a diet high in L-Arginine,and low in Lysine, is contraindicated for people who have issues with Herpes viruses...)

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Phoiph... I really, really hope this works. I can tell my Dr. doesn't know what to do with me anymore, and today he was suggesting IVIG which kinda scares the socks off me as it seems like is carries a lot of side effects.

So far 104 dives in 22 of those being full one hour dives. My Dr. really wants me to go an hour and a half. He says other patients are doing this and getting good results!! He said one patient dives THREE hours... gracious!

Sigh... he also insists I use the nonrebreather mask. I told him what you said Phoiph, and he seemed stubborn about it. Now I don't know WHO to believe. [Frown] If you care to expound more on this Phoiph, I would appreciate it!

I still have teeny times when my head feels "good." This is definitely from mHBOT as I never felt this way since being sick. It is only little bits and certainly not everyday.

I still feel worse mentally though, not sure why. Dr. is quite confident hyperbarics isn't making it worse so I guess I tarry on...So glad your here Phoiph. This is really one of my last hopes..

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jolley
Member # 46454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't a medical article, but I was intrigued by the mention of SOD as I hadn't heard it before.

http://suzycohen.com/articles/babesia-testing-and-treatment/

Thanks for passing along the articles Phoiph.

Posts: 64 | From Washington | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I made an appt. for Monday the 22nd to try mHBOT for the first time.
I will see the naturopath doctor there for an hour - then hopefully do a dive.

This place has a mild chamber and also an infrared sauna - the latter I probably won't ever do. At least I might get to see one!

After the doctor's name (not an MD) are the letters: CNC, CNHP and MH.

Also this doctor has a Bio-Set for allergy testing. Not sure what this is.

I am so excited to do this - but so tired - I hope I can make it to the appointment.

I hope my ears will be OK. My right one always feels "stuffy" with a bit of pressure.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jolley
Member # 46454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay Susank! Hope your first dive goes well.
Posts: 64 | From Washington | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jolley
Member # 46454

I had 23 dives then got a cold and was out of my chamber for 5 days. The past three days I haven't been able to work up to full pressure and have had to camp out at 2.5-3. How long does it take for your ears to recover from a cold? Is it better to take a break from the chamber to let your ears totally heal or get it at a lower pressure? I was feeling really great the first three weeks of diving and seeing results but quickly wilted when I couldn't dive. I'm so ready to be back in at full pressure.
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to know about ears and mHBOT as well.

Is a doctor supposed to look in your ears?

Really - how does one know the ears are "good to go"?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
foxy loxy...

I understand in theory why he wants to use the non-rebreather mask, because with high enough flow, it can deliver more 02. The problem is, the flow we use is not high enough to keep the bag consistently inflated (I and others have tried), and this is not a safe situation.

If he is insisting you use a non-rebreather mask, I would ask him these questions:

1. My oxygen concentrator is set to 8-1/2 LPM (recommended optimal AirSep setting for use with chamber). I understand that the LPM flow is further reduced due to the backpressure of the chamber.

If the recommended flow to prevent a non-rebreather bag from collapsing (resulting in my breathing my own carbon dioxide) is 10-15 LPM, how can this be safe?

2. If I fall asleep in my chamber without supervision, and the bag collapses due to less than sufficient flow, what happens then?

My opinion is that the risks don't outweigh the benefits in this situation...(I became fully well using a simple Hudson mask...)

As you know, I also believe in "low and slow"...you are only 22 (full) dives in...and already getting some positive "glimpses"...why risk overdoing it with longer dives? More is not always better!

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Jolley...

Thanks for the article.

SNPs are complex and I don't think we fully understand the implications (there are so many variables, combinations, and external influences)in terms of how, when (or if) they will be expressed in an individual.

I have to go back to the empirical evidence that so many children with Autism have SOD SNPs...yet... this population also does remarkably well with mHBOT.

There must be more to the picture~

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24155217

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Jolley & susanK...

Regarding ears...

It is best to wait until a cold with congestion is over before you dive...if your Eustachian tube is blocked, you could cause trauma to the tissues/structures and this would prevent you from diving even longer...

If you don't have a cold and are just starting mHBOT, the practitioner will look in your ears for obvious blockage before you dive...

If they look clear (from what they can see), you will have to increase pressure slowly and continue to pop your ears (they will show you how via yawning, moving your jaw, etc.).

If you have any pain while pressurizing, you will need to tell the practitioner, and reduce the pressure in the chamber immediately...then stay at a lower pressure (below the pain level) for that dive. Some people have naturally narrow Eustachian tubes, or "hidden" congestion.

This doesn't necessarily preclude you from diving, it usually just means you will have to be patient, go slowly, and work up to full pressure over a number of dives.

susank
Member # 22150

Thanks. (asking self: where is the E. tube anyway?).

I have been researching and practicing.
I just can't tell about my ears.

I've lived with everything wrong with me for so long I can't tell what is normal anymore.

I can do the turn head left then right and swallow.

The Valsava method - don't think I can do that.
Have tried gently. If doing that correctly one should hear air moving - out of the ears?

I won't force this one - but gotta wonder....am I stopped up somewhere?

Phoiph- thanks again all your help.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Susank...

Just remember to pressurize very slowly (make sure they show you how to work the pressure valve yourself) and continue to pop your ears as needed as you feel the pressure building. Also, don't stay at pressure for long on your first dive...maybe 10 minutes or so...

Then see how you do in the next day or two before increasing your time...

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Phoiph, does a partial nonrebreather mask have the same problem?

And I am understanding that as long as the bag is inflated it would work right, but 8.5. isn't enough to keep the bag inflated?

Yeah, I am scared of overdoing it... I am going to keep it at an hour at least for now...

Thanks angel friend! [Smile]

Phoiph
Member # 41238

A partial rebreather mask allows some of the expired air to be retained in the bag, and likely doesn't raise the 02 much more than the simple Hudson mask.

It still requires a higher flow to keep the bag inflated, so again, in my opinion, not worth the risk...

This article explains how a non-rebreather mask works, and mentions the difference between this and a partial rebreather:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rebreather_mask

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the amount of clothing matter when diving? Does it inhibit the oxygen from being absorbed into the skin?

I seem to be the oddball because I actually get cold in the chamber so I usually wear thermal pants and long sleeve shirt. Sometimes, I use a blanket to stay warm.

Is that bad? I don't want to minimize the effects with a blanket and clothing.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

I am wondering some things also - preparing for my - hopefully - first dive on Monday. What to wear. No wool? Not even wool socks?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

With mild hyperbaric using a soft/home chamber that is pressurized with room air, and 02 is breathed through a mask, the majority of the oxygen delivery is via the lungs.

In this case, you can wear whatever you're comfortable in, or use blankets...there are no restrictions.

In commercial chambers where 100% medical grade oxygen is used, the majority of the oxygen delivery is still via the lungs, but you are not allowed to wear synthetics (100% cotton only), jewelry, cosmetics, perfumes, or take electronics or newsprint inside due to fire risk.

Susank...you will be using a Vitaeris (soft/home chamber) at your clinic, so unless they tell you otherwise, you can wear whatever.

Soccermama...my theory is that although the temperature in the chamber rises due to the pressure, some people get cool because mHBOT causes temporary constriction of the blood vessels. This is one way that it reduces inflammation, while the pressure allows for greater oxygenation of the tissues.

LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaniMo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all:

I just wanted to thank everyone for your detailed, honest experiences. I am inspired to rent a mHbot, and tried out a session at my doctor's office to see if I could tolerate it.

I have a silly question: How do you pass the time while you are diving?

I have pain in my neck and arms which would prevent me from holding anything up (like a book or phone) for a long stretch of time.

Thanks!

Posts: 118 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

How about audio books, guided meditation, or music?
Phoiph
Member # 41238

You can also use a wedge to prop up your head and shoulders so you can view a lap top without holding it up...
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaniMo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you all give me an idea of what it realistically costs to run the mHBOT for a month, assuming near-daily use?

I'm thinking electricity, oxygen, and other things I might not have considered in addition to rental fees for the unit and concentrator.

Thanks!

Posts: 118 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

foxy loxy: What brand of L-Arginine do you take? Supplements rarely help for me either.

FYI: Sounds like we have the same LLMD.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

LaniMo...

If you're using an oxygen concentrator, you wouldn't need to purchase oxygen.

I did some rough calculations on the electricity...using both the concentrator and compressor for 1-1/2 hours a day would come to around $5.00/month.

You would have to base it on the kilowatt charge in your area. Here's the formula:

For each machine, calculate:

Listed Voltage X Listed Amps divided by .001 (kilowatt) X number of hours used per month X local kilowatt hour charge = cost per month

toyswalk
Member # 45981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toyswalk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LaniMo, someone on Facebook posted a photo of how they use a lightweight board straddled across the wire supports, they set their iPad on the board so they didn't have to hold it in their hands.
Posts: 42 | From beautiful Texas Hill Country | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

Thanks, toyswalk -- that's a great idea!
susank
Member # 22150

Preparing for my first dive tomorrow.
I will believe it when/if I am actually in the chamber.
(that my transportation works out - ears OK etc).

I am feeling congested from allergies.
Normally I would do a saline nasal rinse after getting home from the barn - being around animals/barn dirt/dust.

Wondering if I should do a rinse tonight?
Or could liquid get in my E. tubes? And stay there? (sorry my dumb questions).

I also have made a mix of peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils to inhale throughout the night.

I am worried my right ear - or E. tube - might not clear. TIA any thoughts.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

susank
Member # 22150

I can do the "Toynbee" technique. Just tried it a few times. Pinch nostrils and swallow.

By being able to do so - does that mean anything?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

susank
Member # 22150

I did it. My first dive. Long day. More later.
------
To summarize:
I think it went fairly well.
I think I was in the chamber for about 45 minutes total.
Time to pressurize - stay at a pressure - then depressurize - (?).
I got uncomfortable with my right ear going from 1 to 2 - so we stayed for a few minutes at 1.
Not sure what the numbers mean - not sure what's with my ear.
The goal is to reach and hold at 4?
The most difficult part (ear-wise) is getting past 2?
I'm upset with myself for wimping out/staying right around 1.
My right ear kinda hurt for a few hours after - is getting better. So dunno.
Maybe to be safe I will try to see an ENT.
Anyway, since I only did half a dive - I will go back to finish and do another half dive.
I felt completely comfortable with the facility - loved the ND and her staff.
I have been given some hope.

[ 02-22-2016, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: susank ]

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Susank...

You did the right thing by staying at 1 PSI if you had ear discomfort when you went beyond that point.

The fact that your ear hurt afterward emphasizes that point and the need to go slowly. Don't push to reach 4 PSI quickly...take your time over multiple sessions to let your ears adjust gradually.

The ears have to do the most adjustment from 0 to 2 PSI; it actually gets easier from 2 to 4 PSI.

Nice work!

susank
Member # 22150

Thanks P.
Curious - the "1" level - does that do anything? Still some benefit?

I think I have a "deal" with my ears. Or maybe its "just" Lyme and Co's. Or allergies.

Many years ago I did have an eardrum rupture - don't remember which ear - but assume it has totally healed.

But again today - walking in - I felt like a kid in a candy store. I don't get out much - only read about things.

Opened the clinic door - and smelled peppermint essential oil. There were diffusers in most rooms. I could hear the chamber - someone was in it. FWIW also saw an infrared sauna.

Had an hour consult with the ND - and really really liked her. Out of all the doctors I have seen the past 20 years - I rank her in the top five of those who really care - and want to help.

Anyway, she treats Autism mostly (I think) but has Lyme patients.

I told her that I had mostly given up on any treatment - and she said - no - don't think that way at all.

So tired - pardon my rambling..

[ 02-23-2016, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: susank ]

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Good to hear...

Did they have an oxygen concentrator/mask hooked up to the chamber with you, or were they using it with pressure only?

Any increase in 02/pressure can be beneficial, but your goal would be to gradually work up to full pressure...

susank
Member # 22150

Pressure only. No mask. Thanks so much all your help. I'll need more of it - so thanks in advance.

To add: I don't think O concentration - we did not discuss it. So I don't think so.

Concentration is only with a mask, right?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

They could have been flowing 02 from the concentrator into the chamber without having you wear a mask, which is OK to start...

It sounds like they were careful to take it slowly with you... :)

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my Goodness, I just received the best news after one year of treating with mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy (mHBOT). My lab tests are back from 2 February 2016

Ehrlichiosis is now negative
Ca4 52,000 down from 64,000 May 2015
CD57 26 up from 23

I am over the moon about my progress and my labs confirm my improvement in my Lyme journey.💚

Phoiph I'm requesting copies of my lab tests and will email them to you when they arrive😊

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All those labs were last tested May 2015
Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toyswalk
Member # 45981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toyswalk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never tested for that top thing but Negative sounds AWESOME!! Great report!!
Posts: 42 | From beautiful Texas Hill Country | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

It's a Lyme co infection.

My C4a started at 68,000 and my CD57 was 19 for a reference point of how far I've come in a year.

The biggest gain being the negative result on the co infection 😊

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Peimomma...

Congratulations!!!

And...thank you for providing such great documentation, both with your labs and videos...it is invaluable...

What does your doctor say about your progress?

susank
Member # 22150

I called and I did receive concentrated O2 while in the chamber. Via a tube in the chamber - not a mask. ???

I have been very tired/sleepy since my dive.
That may have nothing to do with the dive itself - just getting there etc tiring for me.

I still have concerns about my ears. Have made an appt. with an ENT to have E. tubes, etc checked out. If all OK I will schedule more dive/s.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susank...

I used to get very tired after my dives. It would last hours or longer. Now I may be tired for a few minutes but that's it. Sometimes I don't get tired at all. I think it's a very good sign [Smile]

Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peimomma...

I'm so happy for you!

Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivorgirl1
Member # 44031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Survivorgirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Thanks all for posting!

My update:
I'm diving for 20 months now in my Summit to sea shallow dive.

Before I started mhbot I was getting sicker and sicker for over 15 years. Not any of the hundreds kinds of therapy I did and doctors I consulted helped to stop this ongoing deterioration. I got diagnosed with lyme and co a few years ago.

I’m still 80% bedridden, in wheelchair and very sick. But my daily mhbot is the first treatment that has made my situation more stable and is giving me improvements! I love it!

Symptoms such as migraines and severe pain-attacks have disappeared. Symptoms such as vomiting, trembling/shaking, exhaustion and digestive problems have improved. My energy-level and overall tolerance is a little bit better.

I feel no improvement in brainfog nor in my daily nerve, muscle and joint pain (yet). Although I still have severe mcs, abx and herxing are no problem anymore to tolerate. Cholestyramine does also help me with that. I’m on IV ceftriaxone with azithromycin and pulsing tinidazole and I feel this helps too.

I’m so happy I’m feeling a little bit better and my body is getting stronger!!

Some of my earlier updates:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/125201/7#000483
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/125201/7#000494
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/125201/8#000542
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/125201/9#000687

@Phoiph or someone else who might know, if I may ask, can you help me find an article about tinnitus and mhbot? It’s Lyme-induced without hearing loss. I’m asking for a friend who’s considering mhbot.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on mhbot!
Wish you all the best and hold on!

Survivorgirl1

Posts: 16 | From Europe | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jolley
Member # 46454

Has anyone had an increase in allergies after treating? I began having anaphylaxis in response to foods this summer which was why I discontinued antibiotics to take time to restore my gut and consider other treatment options.I have experienced anaphylactic reactions from food (twice in the last two weeks) and am wondering if it has something to do with treating and my body being overloaded. The first month I felt really great and now I am feeling more fatigued in general. Probably need to detox more, but am just disheartened because I don't want to cut more and more foods out of my diet. I drink bone broth everyday and am avoiding all foods I know I am allergic or sensitive to, which feels like a long list.
susank
Member # 22150

Researching - hoping my ears "vet" to be OK for mHBOT.

Questions about the Oxyhealth Solace.
There is one about an hour from me - listed on eBay. Great price. Bolsters included as well an Invacare LPM concentrator. One year old.

I think the Solace is considered too small for most adults? I was not giving the Solace or eBay any thought until I stumbled upon the ad.

I am 5'2" 100 lbs. Not claustrophic at all.

I just measured my couch - where I spend a lot of my time.....If the Solace inflated is 21" - that is a few inches more height and width than my couch/cushion area.

I've heard a few people say the Solace (even the Respiro?) is so tight that one's face would be right up against the ceiling. ???

Does the Solace face window protrude out a bit - maybe giving an inch or two more face area?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Survivorgirl1...

Great to hear of your improvements...!!!

Here is one article on tinnitus and mHBOT. It would seem that the outlook would be even more favorable without hearing loss...

http://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-for-tinnitus/#.VtKQUv3Sk5s

Phoiph
Member # 41238

SusanK...

There are definitely some crucial questions to ask the seller if you are thinking of buying a chamber and concentrator from a private party.

There are also more than a few scams going on out there, so beware! You can email me with the link and I can help you check it out if you like.

Some people are just fine with a Solace...and it is more affordable, but others find it much too tight, particularly for long term use. You would definitely need to see it.

Survivorgirl1
Member # 44031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Survivorgirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much Phoiph!
I can't find the pressure that they used in the cited study. What does 2.5 times normal mean? Is it 2.5 ATA?

Would 1.3 ATA show similar results? Maybe even better if it's chronic tinnitus instead of acute tinnitus?

SusanK, cheapest new one from Summit to sea is 4000 dollars (excl. concentrator) and 24" diameter. It's a bit less luxury and less quality then Oxyhealth's. But to me it works perfect, it's nice and bright from the inside.

Survivorgirl1

[ 02-28-2016, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Survivorgirl1 ]

Posts: 16 | From Europe | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

I know. At the beginning of the article, it seems they were just describing how HBOT is used in general (i.e., 2.5 ATA), and not in relation to the specific studies.

I would wager that lower pressure over time would be safer and more effective, especially if it is chronic-Lyme induced.

I had screaming tinnitus when I was very ill, which has resolved to pre-Lyme levels. Torturous "brain static", auditory hallucinations (always music I hated) and severe hyperacusis also resolved, thanks to mHBOT.

susank
Member # 22150

P - thanks again. I'll try to send you the link.

I was looking at Oxyhealth's website and tried to click on "see chambers near you" or something like that. Link wouldn't work - so I googled my city and Oxyhealth and ended up seeing a Hyper-Oxy on Craigslist (cheap) and the Solace on eBay.

I had never heard of the Hyper-Oxy before - wonder what year they were last made?

Anyway - interesting - on FB there was an article
posted past days about HBOT and fibro. Photo of a gal in a large clear chamber. My friends "shared" that info - there is lots of interest. Folks don't know the treatment is available - where to get it - or that they could even get a home chamber.

I'll try to send you that link as well.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Survivorgirl1
Member # 44031

quote:
Originally posted by Phoiph:

I would wager that lower pressure over time would be safer and more effective, especially if it is chronic-Lyme induced.

Yes thanks I totally agree. Also in Harch's book The Oxygen Revolution mild hbot for chronic problems seems to be the best in multiple ways.

quote:
Originally posted by Phoiph:

I had screaming tinnitus when I was very ill, which has resolved to pre-Lyme levels. Torturous "brain static", auditory hallucinations (always music I hated) and severe hyperacusis also resolved, thanks to mHBOT.

I'm sorry that you've gone through all that. And it's always good to hear how mhbot helped you tremendously. I'm also so glad I've started it. Thanks for helping out.

quote:
Originally posted by Susank:

Folks don't know the treatment is available - where to get it - or that they could even get a home chamber.

Yes good point susan, we have to change that...

Survivorgirl1

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Thanks, Survivorgirl...

I'm so sorry you have gone through so much as well...but it is so encouraging to hear that mHBOT is helping you... :)

As I've said many times, it helps me to believe that my 8 years in hell had some purpose...and life is definitely sweeter on the other side...

Looking forward to seeing everyone get there!

susank
Member # 22150

Hope this URL works re: HBOT and Fibro:

Feb 2016: (scroll way down to see the clear chamber - which looks rather comfortable - and probably very expensive to use).

http://newsforamerica.co/break-through-hyperbaric-oxygen-tanks-found-to-treat-and-cure-fibromyalgia

Re: The Solace

Realistically - what size person would not fit in a Solace? I would fit - but I am thinking of others that might want to use it. Ugh - am tempting providence/whatever to discuss getting one.
I should stop thinking about it until I get info about my ears. (what if its fluid?)

The FB article took me out of "just wait a few more days" mode.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

toyswalk
Member # 45981

Please help me understand the relationship between mHBOT, oxidative stress and taking antioxidants.
susank
Member # 22150

Curious about something.
My one dive - I made it to just past "1" - went back to "1" and stayed there a few minutes.

The levels are 1-4, right?
Level 4 =~10 ft deep/under water?

What would "1" be? Two feet?

[ 02-29-2016, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: susank ]

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

toyswalk...

It is really a matter of balance.

Free radicals are a natural part of our metabolism and play a crucial role in health. Too many, and we have "oxidative stress". Too few, and we have less defenses against pathogens, for example.

mHBOT creates free radicals, and also stimulates the body to produce more of its natural antioxidants to compensate.

Taking too many "artificial" antioxidants (i.e., in isolation; not from food) is now being shown to be detrimental for a number of reasons. In theory, taking too many antioxidants while doing mHBOT could thwart the beneficial action of free radicals.

On the flip side, doing TOO much mHBOT (i.e., multiple times per day...just like too much of any good thing) could surpass the body's ability to keep up with antioxidant production, creating oxidative stress.

Here are some good articles on the subject:

Oxidative stress is fundamental to hyperbaric oxygen therapy, by Stephen R. Thom. Journal of Applied Physi9ology 106:988-995, 2009: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2660252/

Interview with Dr. Dan A. Rossignol: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy may improve symptoms in autistic children in Medical Hypothesis: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drneubrander.com%2FFiles%2FRossignol%2520Medical%2520Veritas.pdf&ei=VM JAVJmqOc_koAS12oLADQ&usg=AFQjCNFhj2W68J1Gxz_TDqfBAJ7oNPIqDw

The Effects of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy on Oxidative Stress, Inflammation, and Symptoms in Children with Autism: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18005455

Antioxidant Supplements – Not So Good! http://www.greenpasture.org/fermented-cod-liver-oil-butter-oil-vitamin-d-vitamin-a/antioxidant-
supplements—not-so-good/

Note: That last link appears to have been removed from the internet. Here's a couple more:

http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2013/10/01/3859751.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19433800

[ 03-01-2016, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Phoiph ]

Phoiph
Member # 41238

SusanK...

1 PSI would convert to about 2.31' depth.

To calculate, first convert PSI (pounds per square inch) to Atmospheres (ATM), then depth equivalent using a conversion table:

1 PSI = 0.0680459639 ATM
0.0680459639 ATM = 2.31' depth.

For comparison, full pressure (in a home chamber) is 4.2 PSI:

4.2 PSI = 0.28579304838 ATM, rounded to .3 ATM
Add 1 ATM for existing pressure at sea level = 1.3 ATA (atmospheres absolute)
4.2 PSI = 1.3 ATA = ~10' depth

susank
Member # 22150

Good news from ENT today.
My ears are normal acc. to the tests they did.
The very nice doctor said that some folks experience pain with HBOT and get tubes put in their ears. Glad to know that would be an option.

I saw my eye doctor right after the ENT - right across the hall.

My eyes are a wreck (Meibomian glands)and I asked him about eyes and mHBOT. (eyes and pressure..).

Get this: he said he had just gotten off the phone - right before he walked in to see me - with a charitable group he is associated with. They are in the process of buying a chamber.
It would be too far away for me to use - but still........!!!

Anyway, he said he thought mHBOT would be good for my eyes.

I am seriously considering purchasing a Solace i/o of a Respiro.

So tired............but what a relief..

[ 03-03-2016, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: susank ]

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

MoniLuv
Member # 47603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoniLuv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am considering purchasing a Hyperbaric chamber for home use in treating chronic Lyme. Is there any sugestions on which company is best to use, also which machine and what is the correct pressure should it go to? Thank you
Posts: 1 | From Albuquerque | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi MoniLuv...

I just sent you some information via PM...

toyswalk
Member # 45981

You are working so hard and being so proactive with all this, I wish you luck (my Texas neighbor!).

Phoiph, thank you for info and links on subject of antioxidants and oxidative stress

susank
Member # 22150

I am now the proud owner of a chamber.
The purchase took a few interesting twists and turns........but I got one.
It's sitting just a few feet from me - as I type. I still don't believe it.

In fact I'm going to have a peek and make sure it's really there...

It is! It looks like a blue canoe - deflated.

I don't have the foggiest idea what to do with it. I need to let this whole thing sink in - then study - and of course ask questions.

I can think of one right now: once inside the chamber one cannot see the gauge? (that's kinda strange..). Thats why I've seen photos of chambers with mirrors?

How does one afix a mirror on the outside?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susan, my husband found an app for my phone. While it doesn't correspond with the psi on the gauge on the outside, it does tell me how many pounds it goes up and I know when I hit 4.2.

The sad thing is I had to factory reset my phone and I lost the app so I have to wait until my husband comes back from out of town work so I can get back on my phone.

When I do, I'll post the link so you can use it.
Other people get a gauge extender so they can see it.

Right now, I just wait til the hisses and then start counting my time then.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would i be able to dive if i got a chest port put in? Do people do abx and dive ?

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bluelyme, I had a Groshong catheter in my chest when I started diving (in hard chambers) but had stopped doing IV abx by then and was only doing orals. Anyway, I would think that it is definitely ok to dive in a soft chamber with a chest port in.
Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

My plan to put the chamber on twin bed mattresses on the floor will not work.
Right now the chamber (with bolsters) is on the floor. Will be too hard on my back.

I don't think I want to put anything inside the chamber with me. (like a foam mattress).

Wondering - what could I use to put under the chamber- between it and the floor.

Pillows - end to end - the length of the chamber?

Today I had help moving furniture/dusting etc.

Eventually (soon I hope) I'll study how to set everything up - and might actually do a dive.

Still don't believe this.........

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
susank, did your chamber not come with a mattress pad? Or is that not enough?
Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toyswalk
Member # 45981

susank, my chamber came with a mattress pad. I believe I've even seen them for sale on eBay (I know I've seen the covers, believe I've seen the pads also).
susank
Member # 22150

The chamber did not come with a mattress pad.

The seller said he used something different - not something from Oxyhealth.

What are other ideas?

I am very chemical sensitive and need things to be off-gassed already.

Can one put something between the chamber and the floor?

Or is it really better to have a pad in the chamber? That would obviously make more sense - especially in the larger chambers.

For the Solace - dunno - how much space a pad would take up - and if that would even matter.

FWIW - I sleep on a "Shepherd's Dream" wool mattress on a slat frame. Most folks that buy those also buy the latex strips to go between the slats and the mattress. Whatever latex that is - has not bothered me. Will research that.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Hi susank
I use a different brand chamber then you so my understanding may be off a little but I would think you would want to put something inside since these chambers harden up once under full pressure. If the pad is outside I'm not sure you would be benefit much from it.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Susank...

You could use a comfortable cotton blanket folded to fit inside.

Once I was able to, I built a padded platform on locking casters for my chamber. It adds a little extra cushion, and allows it to be moved easily, even if someone is inside.

It is not difficult to make, if anyone is interested. Have a home store cut MDF or thick plywood to size (a couple of inches wider and longer than the chamber on bolsters). Cut (to span width) and attach three 2x4 cross braces underneath the platform with wood screws, spaced evenly. Attach a caster to the ends of each 2x4 (6 casters total). Cut padding slightly larger than platform (so it will pad edges) and attach lightly. Cover padding with fabric, stretch and wrap underneath platform, and staple gun in place...

fatjack
Member # 47532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone. I want to thank you all for keeping this thread alive. It convinced me to try a low pressure Hyperbaric Chamber for 5 dives. I then bought my own, assembled it and had my first dive with it last night.

I was diagnosed with Babesia Duncani (WA1)and Lyme Disease almost 3 years ago. I have had the disease since July 2010. My main issue is Babesia. I realize this is a slow process to see results from the Hyperbaric Chamber, but I will post any updates to this thread.

Posts: 2 | From United States | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toyswalk
Member # 45981

Hi Fatjack, good luck and please do keep us posted!
toyswalk
Member # 45981

I'm still diving using just pressure (about 90 dives). Regarding material for your cushioning, any material you do not react to seems reasonable to me. Also, something substantial because whatever you use will shift around as you get in and out and get settled.
Phoiph
Member # 41238

SusanK...

You can purchase a gauge extender so you can see your gauge through the window.

Let's talk soon via phone, so we can go over all these questions/concerns in more detail and get you started...

This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  56  57  58   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement