LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  56  57  58   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
Phoiph
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fabric content is not an issue with home chambers, as it is with commercial chambers that are pressurized with and/or using 100% medical grade 02.

I mentioned cotton, as it is a natural fiber and people are generally less reactive to it. You can use whatever is most comfortable for you.

The gauge extender is purchased through Oxyhealth...

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez Phoiph, there you go being bossy and controlling again. [tsk]

Welcome Fatjack, keep us posted!

SusanK, I'm excited for you even though I know it's pretty complicated getting set up.

I'm rather chemically sensitive and just got myself a new mask for the oxygen concentrator, and whew! it gives me a bit of a headache. Just a heads up for when you get it, susank, let the mask air out a bit before you start using it!

Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just did a trial non-dive.
I got in the chamber. Sheesh.
It does not have a frame.
(I did not think I wanted one anyway).
Deflated - it was like wrestling with an alligator.
I am so weak - and my muscles/joints hurt so badly - doing the zippers was a bit rough.
Of course I did not zip them all the way.
I def. wish it could be a foot or two off the floor.

Interesting - when I was unzipping - preparing to get in - I saw something inside. At first I thought it was a dead scorpion. ??? So of course I reached in and picked up the "object".

It's some kind of gemstone. A pink opal I think - mounted on what looks like silver..

I will let the prior owner know about this in case he wants it back. (I hope he doesn't!).

Pink opals are said to have healing powers?

The guy I got this chamber from is pretty special. That he would perhaps be holding an opal in the chamber would not surprise me.
Hoping that would also not be an "in chamber" no-no?

Sorry - tired - rambling.........

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spinning123...just my nature, I guess...LOL!

SusanK...the reasons for using a frame, is that it takes MUCH less time to fill the chamber, makes it easier to get in and out, and keeps it from resting on you while its being inflated.

I know of someone who built their own frame out of PVC for their Solace. I can put you in contact with them if you like.

Otherwise, a frame and mattress from Oxyhealth cost $300. each.

Please contact me about the gauge...I will give you info.

The chamber would not be fully inflated until it reaches 4.2 PSI on the gauge.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jolley
Member # 46454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susank, I have the frame from Oxyhealth inside of my Solace and it can inflate in 3-4 minutes, although I typically take longer than that to go easier on my ears. The frame keeps it off of my face when I get inside, which is nice, although it still falls down on top of my legs.

Update, I am 45 dives in. I had a lot of symptom relief for my first 3 weeks (less brain fog, better energy), then have had a lot of herxing over the past three weeks. Am hoping that it is just a temporary cloud before I get a few more sunbeams.

Posts: 64 | From Washington | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jolley
Member # 46454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi fatjack. Glad you are sharing your story.
Posts: 64 | From Washington | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Jolley...

It becomes a 2 step forward, 1 step back pattern after an initial "honeymoon" period (for some).

In my experience, when I would go through a flare, I would think I was regressing, but then would come out a little better than before each time.

Keep the faith!

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Welcome, Fatjack...

What kind of chamber/oxygen concentrator are you using?

toyswalk
Member # 45981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toyswalk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think tossing a sheet over an unzipped chamber sounds like a great idea. I leave mine unzipped after use because humidity often builds up during dives. I have my chamber in an unused extra room so I just usually close the door.
Posts: 42 | From beautiful Texas Hill Country | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatjack
Member # 47532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone.

Phoiph - I purchased a Summit to Sea Shallow Dive E-Series Chamber and an Airsep 10L oxygen concentrator. Getting my (open) mask soon. I have had 5 dives so far. Almost fell asleep in it yesterday. I have an alarm to wake me up now.

Posts: 2 | From United States | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi fatjack...

Great!

FYI...I'm sounding like a broken record again, but you've probably already read that when using with a chamber, it is important to keep the LPM setting on an AirSep no higher than 8-8.5 LPM. (Otherwise, it may go into an "on demand" mode rather than continuous flow...)

Also, you may already know to be sure to always have your concentrator "ON" when there is pressure in the chamber, otherwise backflow could damage it...

Are you going to be using the open OxyMask from Southmedic?

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph-

How would you know if the concentrator went into On Denand mode?

Thanks!

Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Monti...

I'm not sure if you could tell when you're inside the chamber and the concentrator is on the outside, but the unit will pulse the 02 instead of continuously flowing.

The vendor has told me that it is not something the reps or the manufacturer mention in their manual, but the engineers have informed him, and so he puts a warning in every unit he sells for use with a chamber.

It is of particular concern when in use with a hyperbaric chamber, as the unit has more demand placed on it due to backpressure from the chamber. It is not a design flaw, but a conservative measure to preserve oxygen purity and flow/LPM.

Other brands without this feature, such as the SeQual, will automatically drop the flow/LPM to compensate for the backpressure.

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph,

Thanks for the info. So could it be damaging to the concentrator or is the concern more that you wouldn't receive as much 02?

I set mine at 8.5 and occasionally think maybe it's not producing as much air. Then it seems to produce plenty again. Almost like it goes into in demand mode and then out of it again. I wonder how much of it is my imagination. Maybe I could have my wife come down and look at the lpm meter when I am suspicious of it happening? Would she see the level fluctuate if it was in that mode?

Thanks,
Monti

Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

I don't think you'd see it fluctuate, because that is the whole point...to keep the 02 and the LPM consistent.

There could be other factors at play that cause the unit to work harder, such as temperature and humidity, so you could set it at 8.0 if you have doubts.

The concern would be that there is no need to make the machine work harder, it could affect its longevity...and also it is better to get a consistent flow of oxygen for our purposes.

Remember that these machines weren't created to be used with a hyperbaric chamber. The AirSep has 20PSI, however (one of the highest for home use), and is a great unit and may or may not ever have to go into this mode (even over 8.5 LPM)...it is just a precaution, since people usually want to set it at 10, thinking "more is better".

The SeQual (7.2 PSI) works differently; it should be set at 10LPM and allowed to drop down during the dive (without someone turning the LPM back up on the outside). It will rise to 10 again once the chamber deflates.

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Ok thank you Poiph!

You have an email by the way [Smile]

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi fellow mHBOTers

I posted up my new video with my updates. Wow, what a difference a year makes😊👍

Phoiph, I haven't talked with Dr B about my results, someone else from her office called with my results. I plan to meet up with her soon to chat and see what she thinks and what's next.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ggakqjon8M

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcarlnew
Member # 45378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcarlnew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How often do you clean, swap out your oxygen mask. I use the Oxymask
http://www.medlifeequipment.com/respiratory/oxygen-supplies/masks/oxymask/

For those who clean them, what do you use to clean.

Posts: 98 | From Kalamamazoo,Michigan | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jolley
Member # 46454

Peimomma, congratulations, that is awesome. Thanks for making the videos, they are so exciting to see. You look great.
Jolley
Member # 46454

How do you clean the filters on the air compressor? How often do they need to be cleaned?
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Peimomma...

Thanks for the awesome update! Very happy for you...I know how great life can be on the "other side", and glad you are experiencing that! FYI...I improved a lot between year 1 and 2...even though at the time I didn't realize there was still much healing to be done...it more subtle ways.

Jcarlnew...I was advised to clean the chamber with a solution of 1/2 hydrogen peroxide (over the counter strength), mixed with 1/2 water. You could also use this to clean your mask.

Jolley...It depends on your situation...I was told that the compressor filters (not oxygen concentrator) don't need to be cleaned very often (maybe every few months), but if you have pets, you will need to clean them more frequently.

With the Oxyhealth compressor, you would unscrew the 2 round black filters from the compressor, then (this can be difficult), twist the halves apart. There is a paper filter inside that you can carefully dust off.

The filter on the oxygen concentrator, on the other hand, should be cleaned more frequently. Remove the square mesh filter from the back of the unit, clap between your hands outside, wash with soapy water and rinse well, dry overnight.

SusanK...

The tubing is not sterile...the ends should be left open.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Susan...

The frame is metal, not plastic.

A mask is more effective than a cannula. It off-gasses in a few days by putting it outside in the shade.

If you absolutely can't tolerate a Simple Hudson Mask, an "open mask" is an alternative. They are more comfortable, but I personally find them more difficult to off-gas.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Susan,

You asked how do those of us that don't use extenders see the gauge? I don't, we timed how long it took me to pressurize the chamber in the beginning and we used that plus however many minutes you are treating that day. For me it's always been 60 minutes plus pressurize time from the beginning, but I'm an exception to the rule.

Thanks Monti,

How goes your treatment after nearly a year? I hope you are getting to the point you are noticing some improvements.

Phoiph,

Thanks for the reality check concerning continued improvements over the next 10 months. It's hard to believe life will get better than what it is today, but I certainly look forward to total restoration and healing.

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Peimomma,

Thanks for asking [Smile] Progress has been hard to see. Phoiph and I were talking and long story short we discovered my original used oxygen concentrator was not working properly. I do not know how much 02 it was delivering, how long it began to malfunction, and if the malfunction was consitent or not.

So I purchased a new unit about 3 weeks ago and promptly experienced sever fatigue from using it. I'm pretty sure it was a good old fashion herx which was a great sign. It lasted almost 10 days.

So let's see what the next year brings me. I believe it will be helpful. I really do.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Wow Monti

I had a herx flashback 😱. I remember those days as it was a year ago I was on the herx roller coaster.

Happy to hear it may have been faulty gear and not your body refusing to heal👍

Keep the faith!! The journey is long but the reward is amazing

toyswalk
Member # 45981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toyswalk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monti, what happened on the other side of your 10 day herx? I've tried to add supplemental oxygen a couple of times but have gotten discouraged by the overwhelming exhaustion. I wasn't convinced it was something I should just try to push through.
Posts: 42 | From beautiful Texas Hill Country | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Toyswalk,

The herx basically went away as fast as it came on.

It's recommended (as im sure you know) that you build up to the full hour dive with 02. The way I originally did it was I started doing only 20 minutes dives with 02. After a couple weeks and once I felt like my body had adjusted to it I increased to 25 minutes. I kept making increases as I felt I was able (roughly every 2 weeks).

That required me to push myself some. I was anxious to get to the full hour and as soon as I felt my herx symptoms relaxing I would increase by just 5 minutes.

So jumping forward almost a year, once I discovered my used 02 concentrator wasn't working at full potential I decided to start off at the full hour as a test to see if it gave me a herx. I was hopeful it would since that would suggest my lack of improvement was due to a faulty 02 concentrator.

Once it became apparent that I was herxing I almost backed down since the fatigue was significant. But I decided to ride it out since I felt I could deal with it and wanted to really be sure it was a true herx and not something else. This was proof to me that my old 02 unit wasn't delivering 02 as it should have been.

The faulty unit was not one that has been encouraged to use on this thread. It just happen to come with my used chamber.

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the frame not come with allen screws or set screws? Mine are little black ones that are used in my frame.

The filter and O2 tubing sit inside the circle of the frame in my chamber.

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working to get the frame in.
Was not sent an Allen wrench.....the little black thing..............to connect the pieces.
Should that have come with the frame?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been so long since I put mine together I don't remember if it came with it or I had it already.
Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Got it done. Sheesh - that was not easy. It took my engineer neighbor about an hour. Thankfully he had an Allen wrench - so now I know what that little thing is. You would think that little 20 cent item would come with the frame.........
Getting closer to testing everything.....

PS - Yes came with "set" screws. Again - thank goodness my neighbor knew how to do all this - as the Respiro vid. makes everything look easy. Again - mine is a Solace.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

kgg
Member # 5867

Kudos for getting it done!
toyswalk
Member # 45981

Monti, thanks for the input. Today was my dive #100. Instead of my usual hour with pressure only, we hooked up the O2 concentrator again. I did 25 minutes with mask just laying aside. Think I'll see how this goes for a few days and get in touch with Phoiph to discuss how to proceed. I got out today feeling ok but I sort of missed having my whole hour in the chamber and the routine I've developed of meditating, stretches and arm exercises.

Susank, good on you for getting chamber together!

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I just got a low CO2 result which means I am low in carbon dioxide.

At first, I thought it was because of my oxygen, but did a little research and doesn't have anything to do with it.

Sounds like the lower your CO2 the lower your oxygen is... so I hope what I am doing is helping. I am not sure how to fix this, but thought I would post that it is important to have the right level of CO2 in your blood!

I am at 142 dive with 57 of those being full one hour dives.

I still get lovely short times of feeling good, but I can't say anything substantial.

I definitely am more brain foggy, and forgetful. [Frown] not sure if it is oxygen caused or disease progression.

Phoiph, (or any other dear oxygen breathing soul)

my oxygen concentrator, for a little bit wasn't giving me oxygen. Then it would sort of work again... a few times it shrieked at me so I got out and made sure there were no kinks in the hose.

It stopped yelling, but I sometimes wonder if it is giving me the full amount of air I should be getting? I sometimes think the air isn't blowing as strongly as it was through my mask. I turned it up a leeeetle bit (not much phoiph) and it helped a leeeetle bit I THINK.

Monti's experience made me say something about it. I would hate to waste time... so precious!

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foxy Lady,

Does your doctor think low CO2 could be caused by your diving? This site has alot of good info on HBOT. Maybe you can contact them and ask that question?

It would be helpful information to have.

http://www.hbot.com/

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Foxy loxy...

You should have your concentrator checked. Contact an oxygen supply/equipment company that services concentrators, and they can use a meter to check purity, output, etc. Sometimes they will do this for no charge if you bring the unit to them. Remind me...what model do you have?

About your low C02 blood levels...what was your PH reading?

SusanK...The compressor switch is on the cord. Where did you get your frame? If from Oxyhealth, you can let them know it didn't come with a tool, and they will send you one.

Also...Please give me a call or email so we can set up a time...

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soccermama, I don't know. I haven't seen my Dr. yet. I tried to research it and all I found is that low CO2 is NOT good.

I couldn't find anywhere that oxygen makes it worse though only that if you are low in carbon dioxide you aren't using the oxygen right that you breathe etc.! [Frown]

Phoiph, I don't know what my PH reading is. I guess that wasn't checked, but I imagine I will.
Do you know if extra oxygen can cause this?

My concentrator is an Airsep brand... the good one. It is supposed to be new too. Maybe, I am just anxious for nothing...

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toyswalk
Member # 45981

Foxy, how do you test CO2? Blood pH stays very, very constant or we would die. Saliva and urine ph fluctuate but I do not believe blood ph will?
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Foxyloxy...

The relationship between the carbon dioxide and the PH levels of the blood can indicate different conditions.

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/co2/tab/test/

I don't think your low C02 levels are related to mHBOT...but do let us know what your doctor says.

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Thanks Phoiph for that info. I have been on tetracycline for a while and that may be the cause as it can lower bicarbonate levels.

Toyswalk, the test was a blood test. I must say that is sounds pretty important to have be normal!

Last night I again really thought about my concentrator. I just don't think it is giving my enough air. It used to blow into my eyes and bother me, and it doesn't anymore.

I think I will try to get someone to look at it! Sigh... I HATE equipment problems...oh and if I crank it to max... it suddenly puts out a LOT... but only when it is maxxed out does it seem to make a difference in a lot more oxygen output.

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Foxy loxy,

That sounds similar to what started happening with my concentrator. What really clued me in on the problem was that the lpm would start off at a good level and by the end of the dive when I climbed out of the chamber it was about 2 lpm less. It shouldn't do that.

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Monti, thanks for chipping in here. SO what ended up being the problem?

The guy I am borrowing this from stared at it this morning and peeked at its guts. He couldn't find anything wrong, but thinks too It might not be giving as much air.

I called the company, and she said they would bill me if nothing is wrong. [Frown]

I do have someone that said they would check it and see what is wrong but won't repair it. I think I will get it checked, but it is quite a hassle to find someone to fix it/look it over.

One lady thought it might be a fan problem?

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Foxy loxy...

The next logical step to repair my unit would be to replace the media that helps filter the 02. I can't remember what it's called now but is was close to $500 to get it replaced and assuming it fixed it I still would own a concentrator that provided 7 lpm instead of 8lpm and around 90% O2 instead of 93% O2 like the Air SEP. So I decided to just buy a brand new Air Sep and be done with it all.

I don't think the problem is a fan. What they had me do is get a spray bottle of soapy water and spray all the internal parts along the air line where connections were to check and see if air was leaking. It wasn't.

Then they had me take apart a fitting and clean a diaphragm. That didn't help either.

Then they said the next thing to do was change that expensive media. That's when I decided to get a better unit.

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

oh deeear Monti... that wasn't good. I don't know enough to try soapy water tricks, and I am afraid I will ruin it:(

My concentrator is supposed to be new, so assume it is under warranty. But I could tell the company didn't want to fix it.

The lady said "as long as it isn't smoking..."
I thought, gracious! does it have to be smoking in order not to work??

I did have it tucked in a corner and the lady said it does NOT like to be next to walls. So maybe I will try this first. before lugging it around to get checked. grrrrrrr

spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foxy and Monti, now you two have got me all worried about my concentrator... [dizzy]

I'm going to check the lpm when I climb out of the chamber tomorrow, thanks Monti for your input.

Foxy, sometimes I have the same feeling about how the air flow used to bother my eyes but now it doesn't so much... I wonder if it's my mind playing tricks on me. I'm not good with assembling and disassembling equipment..

Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Foxy loxy...

If your AirSep is new, it should have a 3 year warranty.

As I mentioned, an oxygen supply/repair company will usually pick it up from you for a fee...but likely will not charge you if you bring it in if they are just checking PSI and 02 output.

I'm not sure why your alarm went off (possible kinked hose, lack of clearance around the unit, or power fluctuation). The alarm warns you that the 02 purity has fallen below 80%.

What do you have the LPM set at? Are you keeping the filter clean?

AirSeps are very reliable units; it is probably fine...checking it is just a precaution.

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

I have the LPM set at the 8.5 like you suggest, and the filter is whistling clean.

because it has quit working a few times, I feel like I should get it checked. When I say not working, I mean the airflow ceased, for a bit.

spinning, I am sorry to make you feel insecure! I am blaming Monti!! [Smile]

spinning122
Member # 42223

Lol foxy, no I'm glad it was brought up. Good to be aware of possible problems.. I think mine is good! I hope you get your concentrator sorted out soon. Gotta get that O2! [Wink]
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Lol Foxy Loxy
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monti, What brand concentrator do you own?

Phoiph, why is the amount of LPM important? Monti mentioned that his concentrator puts off 7 LPM as opposed to 8. Why is that concerning?

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

soccermama...

Both volume/flow (measured in Liters Per Minute) and purity (percentage of 02 in the air that is flowing) are important. In particular, when using a concentrator with a chamber, there is a relationship between the two that must be in balance.

Too low of flow (LPM) setting = not enough air
Too high of flow (LPM) setting causes machine to work harder against backpressure of chamber = lower oxygen purity

The PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) that the concentrator is equipped with determines how capable it is of working against the backpressure of the chamber, and maintaining both LPM and purity.

Monti had a concentrator that wasn't flowing properly, and it also didn't have a built in monitor alarm to warn him if the oxygen purity dropped below 80%.

Even if he made expensive repairs, his point was that it still wouldn't perform as well in terms of LPM, and without a monitor/alarm, there was no way to know if there were issues with the purity.

So...it wasn't so much a problem with receiving 7LPM vs. 8LPM per se...it was the overall functioning of the machine that was of concern.

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Thanks for clearing that up for me Phoiph!

Soccermama...
I replaced my used OG-15 with a new Airsep New Life Intensity which gives me greater LPM, O2 purity, and that built in alarm for O2 purity. I would not have replaced my OG-15 but it clearly began to have issues.

toyswalk
Member # 45981

When I purchased my used Respiro it did not come with a plug for the hole where the oxygen hose feeds through. Anyone know if Oxyhealth might sell that part? My husband has rigged something up but I'd like to dive with supp oxygen one day and without the next. It's sort of a hassle to change out, I'm thinking a plug might be easier.

Otherwise, Dive 117, 60 minutes, just pressure. Feeling good. Have made many subtle but significant improvements that feel real. New moons are usually my Achilles heel, this one has been a piece of cake!

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Toyswalk,

That is really nice to hear [Smile]

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Toyswalk...

The plug is actually a threaded screw.

I need to call Oxyhealth about another issue anyway, so will ask them about this part as well.

Glad to hear you're doing better!

I will answer your email soon...been very busy!

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Toyswalk...

Here's what you need from the hardware store.

It is a threaded brass pipe screw:

1/8 - 27 NPT (national pipe thread)

toyswalk
Member # 45981

Thank you, Phoiph. I suspected I overwhelmed you [Wink] . All is good here, plugging along.
toyswalk
Member # 45981

Is anyone doing bee venom therapy? Dare I even consider doing mHBOT (pressure only, no supplemental oxygen) and BVT? I'm asking before I even start to research BVT, I'd only be able to do it two weeks out of a month (if I did it).

Btw, I started diving in Dec. The last two weeks I've enjoyed better quality of life than I have in years. I did have a lousy day but my lousy day wasn't as lousy as many of my previous days that I considered good days. I'm very inspired and optimistic. The mHBOT hasn't fixed what I wanted it to fix the most which is my mobility. But it's obviously busy working on some other things that I wasn't aware of.

One concern is my last blood work showed some high inflammatory markers and a high liver enzyme. These numbers shocked me. Absolutely no history of problem in these areas?

Jolley
Member # 46454

Just completed dive 70 last week. Overall am excited about my progress, although the first three months have been up and down. I have had two extended herx periods where I've had a lot of fatigue and sore/stiff spine, and then later chest pain, but overall have had much less brain fog and better energy. Went to my doctor today about the chest pain and she thought it was likely a herx so I'm excited to get back in the chamber after a week long break; it's funny how you start to crave being in there everyday and hate to miss.
jcarlnew
Member # 45378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcarlnew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O2 finger measurement proves efficacy for me. I have had bronchitis up until a week ago and during that time my O2 measurements were sometimes as low as 91-92, finally had to have an inhaler for a couple days. After I got over it or pretty much so, readings have been 95-96 with anything over 95 normal. So I took the fingertip measurement in the chamber tonight. Sure enough it jumped to 98-99 with most of the time at 99. I have not had these high of reading outside the chamber. To me, this verifies the increased blood saturation with MBOT.
Posts: 98 | From Kalamamazoo,Michigan | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

toyswalk...

That is amazing progress in 4 months!

I would say "hold the BVT" for now...you're making good progress now with mHBOT...why not see where that takes you without taking the chance of doing something that could interfere?

toyswalk
Member # 45981

Phoiph, I hear you. I was hoping maybe with experience would give it a bad review so it would be easier to get the idea out of my mind. Things are good. A person at a lyme luncheon the other day is doing BVT, three months and she is walking, of course hearing that caught my ear.

But, yes, my progress is good. I went from being pretty much home bound to getting out 6 of the last 8 days. Four of those days I went completely on my own, today I drove into town (I don't remember the last time I ventured that far on my own). I
even got a compliment from a complete stranger on my healthy, glowing skin (thank you HBOT, I've NEVER gotten a compliment on my SKIN!)

jcarlnew
Member # 45378

When my wife did deep dives and their was any question of congestion they had her take a Claritan in advance.

In addition some people have had some success with Ear Planes the silicone inserts they sell at must drugstores for air travel. Pholph would know more though.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi everyone...

Not sure how many of you follow Lymeboy's "Pericardial Effusion" thread, but we're trying to gather support there for him in his effort to obtain mHBOT treatment:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=133186;p=2#000130

Many of you are on Facebook (I am not), and other social media sites...so if everyone could please spread his twitter page, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is one of the latest updates from his thread:

"...Thanks to everyone's generosity, he has finally received his chamber, and we are going to get things set up and started via phone in the next few days.

As I have mentioned, his concern now is that although he has enough raised funds to cover 3 months, there is still the major issue of ongoing financial support that will be necessary to provide uninterrupted treatment after the 3 month budget runs out. This needs to be planned for now...

I am not allowed to provide a direct link to a "GoFundMe" account here on LymeNet, as that is considered "solicitation".

Instead, I will share with you John's twitter page, on which you can find related information and links:

https://twitter.com/JohnnyLyme

I am hoping that if this method of acquiring funding for mHBOT works for him, it may also work for others who can't afford their treatment...

susank
Member # 22150

I guess one does not dive during a thunderstorm with risk of losing power.

That would cause rapid depressurizing, right?
Not good?

Bad storms here this evening. Pooh.

I won't even think about losing power w/o a storm. (where do I come up with these lulu questions?)

IF that should happen - loss of power - what would one do?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

This has happened to me several times. Mostly, it is not good for the concentrator.

The concentrator will likely sound an alarm (as it does when it loses power or the 02 purity drops).

The chamber will start to deflate, since the compressor is no longer pumping air in, but it will not be immediate deflation.

You will then just deflate as usual (although it will happen more quickly) and end your dive.

Be sure to turn the compressor and concentrator switches off after you get out of the chamber.

Jolley
Member # 46454

susank, my husband was in the chamber when the power went out and the chamber still took about 4-5 minutes to depressurize; although scary, his ears were ok.
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoiph:
Hi everyone...

Not sure how many of you follow Lymeboy's "Pericardial Effusion" thread, but we're trying to gather support there for him in his effort to obtain mHBOT treatment:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=133186;p=2#000130

Many of you are on Facebook (I am not), and other social media sites...so if everyone could please spread his twitter page, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is one of the latest updates from his thread:

"...Thanks to everyone's generosity, he has finally received his chamber, and we are going to get things set up and started via phone in the next few days.

As I have mentioned, his concern now is that although he has enough raised funds to cover 3 months, there is still the major issue of ongoing financial support that will be necessary to provide uninterrupted treatment after the 3 month budget runs out. This needs to be planned for now...

I am not allowed to provide a direct link to a "GoFundMe" account here on LymeNet, as that is considered "solicitation".

Instead, I will share with you John's twitter page, on which you can find related information and links:

https://twitter.com/JohnnyLyme

I am hoping that if this method of acquiring funding for mHBOT works for him, it may also work for others who can't afford their treatment...

up
Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karenthebeetlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone! I am new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Arizona and my son who is 21, has been sick for 8 years. We only received a diagnosis of lyme in August. Lots of history, too much to post, but he just began diving two weeks ago and I believe is herxing already. He says his body hurts all over, nerve endings feel sore. Had some chest pressure too and mild coughing. Have any of you experienced these symptoms as well?

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Posts: 21 | From arizona | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karenthebeetlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Facebook a lot and started a Healing Lyme with mHBOT group. I am looking for stories of healing lyme through the use of this therapy, so if anyone has a story to share, please join the group and share your healing journey. Thank you! https://www.facebook.com/groups/LymeHealingWithHBOT/?ref=bookmarks

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Posts: 21 | From arizona | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Have done four dives in my chamber.
1st max 1 PSI
2nd max .8
3rd max 1
4th max 1.5

Before dives 3 and 4 I breathed in a steamed mix of essential oils. (Peppermint and Eucalyptus).

I had read to also "steam" one's ears - so I did that, too. I held my uncooperative right ear over a mug of steamy essential oils. I think it helped. Don't understand how it could, tho.

I also chewed gum furiously during dives 3 and 4 - as well pulled on my earlobes - anything I could think of.

I was so happy to get to 1.5 PSI - which I know is not much - but I consider it a milestone for me. Strange, tho, how I felt a bit more panicky ear-wise at around 1 PSI - moreso than 1.5 PSI.

1.5 seemed less bothersome????

Also - I inhaled a bit of the O2 directly from the tubing. Still not using a mask.

Dive 3 was 30 minutes and 4 was 45.

Hoping to gradually increase the PSI and time spent under pressure.

Baby steps........

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

kgg
Member # 5867

Good job, SusanK! I find for my ears that after about 2 the pressure feels less intense. I plug my nose and blow one more time, but sometimes I don't have to. So it doesn't surprise me that 1.5 felt less bothersome.
me
Member # 45475

Icon 10 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] yay, SusanK! Happy for ya!!!
Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

I feel pretty dreadful today.

Not sure if from dive #4. (a bit higher PSI and longer time in the chamber).

I never know what causes my truly awful days.

Next dive will aim for 1.5 PSI again and stay there only ten minutes. No O2 tube at my nose.
(maybe no essential oils either).

Did I read somewhere about hydration/dehydration in regards to mHBOT?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Welcome, Karen! Keep us posted!

SusanK...yes...as kgg said, the most intense time to clear the ears is usually below 2.0 PSI. It gets easier for most people from 2.0 to 4.2 PSI.

Good idea to go more slowly while you're working up to the full protocol. Also, for now, I would just let the 02 flow in (not breath it directly).

And yes...stay hydrated. O2 can be drying, and the water helps to flush toxins from your system.

This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  56  57  58   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement