LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 24)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  56  57  58   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Haley. I'm so sorry that food seems to not be helpful right now. I thought I was eating really healthy paleo type diet, only to have my IBS symptoms flare on me. Eggs for breakfast. A big salad for lunch. Dinner was meat and veggies. Snacks were nuts and fresh berries. Both my naturopath and PCP mentioned the FODMAP diet. It is not an easy diet. It eliminates onions and garlic right off. (Of course my homemade bone broth had both onion and garlic in it!!). Almost everything I ate that was savory had those in it! Plus the type of nuts I was eating were high FODMAP. I found out my "healthy" diet was not healthy for me!

Now, my constant nausea is gone. My IBS-D is much improved. I can leave the house without my immodium. ;-) It helps people with chronic constipation and reflux. The low FODMAP diet is from the Monash University of Australia. FODMAP stands for Fermentable Oligo- Di- and Monosaccharides and Polyols. Examples of FODMAPs are lactose, fructose, sorbitol, mannitol, fructooligosaccharides, and galactooligosaccharides.

It is not a diet to embark on lightly. Many people see a dietitian that is FODMAP certified to navigate. But it has been very helpful for me. I like this website/blog for info: https://www.alittlebityummy.com/

I am concerned about you diving while eating very little food. What are the symptoms you are dealing with?

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willbeatthis, I had a bit of a set back after getting a virus over the New Year Holiday. So, I've been tanking for well over 2 years and I can still have flares.

However, I am a bit unusual in that I've struggled with this in some form or another since 1974. Now, I know that I've said I've been sick since 1991 but that was relevant to this forum. Prior to that I was Dxed with CFIDS/FM.

So what I am trying to say is that even after all this time I had a 2 month flare but I am now back to where I was the end of last year.

And even during the flare I was able to walk and work around the yard. Things I couldn't do at all prior to HBOT.

The healing continues!

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haley, I have been on a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting, since just before starting HBOT.

I coach people on the diet and I am convinced that the combination of keto adaptation and fasting can significantly improve the symptom picture for people with Lyme. It improves immune function and reduces inflammation systemically.

I have tried many diets over the years from raw food vegan to FODMAP, including macrobiotic and adjustments based on food allergy/sensitivity testing and this is the only diet that helped my condition. Plus I no longer have pre-diabetes or hypercholesteremia, all with no drugs.

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your concern kgg. I appreciate it and am so happy that you are feeling better. I am familiar with most eating plans, including FODMAPs. It is important to stick with small portions with FODMAPS, which supports my theory that small portions may be better. This is just a theory for now. http://blog.katescarlata.com/2015/04/28/portion-size-matters-on-the-low-fodmap-diet/

Digby, I am familiar with that plan also. I have not done the intermittent fasting. For how long do you fast? I really do want to try it, but don't have much fat on my body, so will probably get very skinny.

[ 03-06-2017, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Haley ]

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Haley, I lost ~ 20 lbs of fat and then stabilized. I've since put on some muscle, now that I can exercise if I am careful.

I was water fasting for 2 consecutive days every couple of months. Now I do a 24 hour fast (these are very easy when you are keto adapted) once every week or a bone broth fast for 2 days every couple of months.

I want to do longer fasts but I think it is important to respect the hair trigger stress response that is so common in Lyme Disease.

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting Digby, do you think you were less symptomatic on your water fast days? What is hair trigger stress response?
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Water fast days vary wildly. Sometimes I feel wonderful and other times very sick. I don't know if it is due to a herx or a "cleansing" response.

By hair trigger stress response I mean the Amygdala/Adrenal/Cortisol system is often easily triggered in PWL, regardless of the stimulus.

For example it can be a scent, a food intolerance, too much noise or an emotional issue that would be annoying in the average person but becomes a major stress response in a PWL.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodness! Thank you all for your posts! I'd buy stock in this thread if I could. It sure helps to hear how everyone is doing and the tweaks that can be made with diets.

This information is super! Kgg-so glad you have found a diet that works for you!

Haley, I look forward to how your new tweak works out... you have always inspired me to never give up! I am thinking of you!

And, Digby- wow- you are an amazing source of information! I am glad even with flares you are much improved. I basically do a protein heavy diet but have been interested in going ketogenic. Wouldn't be that much of a leap.

Kudos, Bryan! I'm honored to be starting at about the same time as you! I know you have to be excited about your Respiro!

Thinking of this whole team! And to Phoiph and Peimomma... Thank you as always! [group hug]

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BryanRosner1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone notice that it is easier to equalize their ears when their head is in an upright position compared to laying down? Maybe it's because I've been a bit congested, but I find it much easier and less painful to be upright.

This presents a bit of a challenge in the Respiro, though it is doable.

Posts: 123 | From Tahoe | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of our mHBOT friends here, who has ear issues, posted that the "Cobra" yoga pose helps her clear her ears while inflating.

Just an important reminder that if ear pain is experienced during inflation (pressure is normal as long as it can be cleared), then the pressure valve should immediately be turned toward "deflation" to a point where there is no pain or discomfort...

Never push through ear pain!

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainboworiver
Member # 45562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainboworiver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went for the hyperbaric treatment today for the first time at 2x ATA for 90 minutes 100% oxygen. I am not experiencing any herx, instead I feel better. Much less pain, more energy, and clearer brain.

As matter of fact, every time I used oxygen mask, I felt better.

What does it mean? What organisms does oxygen suppress?

Has anybody experienced immediate relief of symptoms? Like within hours?

Posts: 41 | From NJ | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainboworiver
Member # 45562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainboworiver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haley,

On fasting/eating little, I once was so sick no matter what I did, I just decided to stop eating. Everyday, I drank some organic veggie juicy, like two glasses per day for 3 days. I also did a liver flush at the end.

I felt like a new person, like I have never been sick before.

As a result, I try to do a 2-3 fasting every month or two.

Posts: 41 | From NJ | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainboworiver
Member # 45562

correcting some typos here:

Haley,

On fasting/eating little, I once was so sick no matter what I did, I just decided to stop eating. Everyday, I drank some organic veggie juicy, like two glasses per day for 3 days. I also did a liver flush at the end.

I felt like a new person, like I have never been sick before. It didn't last more than a week as I started eating more.

As a result, I try to do a 2-3 day fasting every month or two.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rainboworiver I am one of the few that started treatment at full pressure with O2 for a full hour since my first treatment 785 dives ago. I began feeling relief and thought if one dive is good, 2 must be better so for 3 weeks I dove 2 times per day for 1 hour until I hit the wall at about 60 dives and then it was herx for 3-4 months.

I had a good detox protocol set up that worked for me to clear toxins and press on each day with one hour treatments but it is pretty intense. I'm a person that pushes the limits to see how much my body can handle (probably the years in the military that warped my thinking😏) I wouldn't recommend it if you have children, a job or other commitments because you will hit the wall and your symptoms will intensify. I had none of the above and a husband that was very supportive and did a great job of helping when I was going through the worst part of the treating.

Phoiph's famous quote "one step forward and 2 steps back". It's a long journey, 2 years and counting for me but worth all the ups and downs along the way.

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of you know I'm back to work and unfortunately they are pushing me to get immunizations. I have sent in a letter from my doctor for an exemption but it doesn't seem to be enough to satisfy the GOV standards.

I'm hoping someone might have some good links to articles or studies on vaccines and immune compromised patients or supporting documentation that LD and vaccines are not recommended.

I'm present my labs today with my H&P but you all know how it is trying to educate the uneducated medical community about LD and all our issues.

Thank you in advance

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rainboworiver...

I know we are going to try to connect by phone this coming week, but after reading your post I wanted to make sure you are aware that if you are diving at 2.0 ATA at 90 minutes with 100% medical grade 02, you are doing HBOT, not mHBOT.

IMO, that is a very high pressure and length of session, especially to start, when you are dealing a with chronic neurological illness like Lyme.

My suggestion is to ask your doctor and the clinic if you can dive at 1.3-1.5 ATA, starting with less time in the chamber, working up slowly.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Peimomma...

Sorry to hear you're being pressured about immunizations at work.

I would contact/Google D.A.N.(Defeat Autism Now) for research and back-up literature on vaccinations.

I will also try to find some for you.

(P.S...Hopefully the journey is "TWO steps forward..." [Smile] )

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peimomma, I have a nurse friend who may be able to give you medical articles. She is on FB. If you are willing to PM me your email, I may be able to connect you two.
Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Thanks for the feedback rainbow 🌈 I'm going to give it a try
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peimomma- I am sure thinking of you! Some great suggestions have been given here. I know what you are dealing with is stressful but I am confident you will get the information you need. I will look around for you as well!

Welcome Rainbow!

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Digby, Do you know of a good book on ketogenic dieting\fasting in terms of boosting the immune system? I would love to read it-seems I feel better too with less food when I'm not ravenous from mhbot. I've never been so hungry. Thank you!
kah419
Member # 31572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kah419   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if mHBOT is ok to use if you have a CBS mutation/upregulation (plus BHMT mutations) that has led to sulfur intolerance and sluggish phase II liver detox?

IV Glutathione (also Bactrim, milk thistle, DSMO, DMPS, high sulfur foods) made me feel much worse, so at least now I know why (CBS). Doesn’t mHBOT increase glutathione production? If so, shouldn’t I hold off on trying mHBOT until I am further along in treating CBS mutation (just started molybdenum glycinate) and liver detox (starting castor oil for now)?

A little history --

Bullseye 2010, diagnosed lyme/bart 2011 by PCP (although most likely bitten 1st time 30 yrs ago), diagnosed clinically w/babesia by LLMD 2014.

I’ve been on combination Rx abx as well as few natural ones for much of the last 6 years (one year break), initially w/PCP then with LLMD, both attempting to follow Burrascano/ILADS guidelines, but having to try other combos/alternatives because of my inability to tolerate so many abx. I also refuse IV abx as well as some orals with serious potential side effects (like Levaquin/Cipro).

To this day I have not been able to tolerate the “right” combination of antibiotics at the right doses for the right length of time, so although I have treated for a long time, I have essentially undertreated in my opinion. Just did Advanced Labs lyme culture test, waiting on results.

I finally gave up on using long term Rx abx last year once my GI symptoms got worse--have SIBO/dysbiosis, now leaky gut (starting L-Glutamine powder), possibly gastroparesis—thanks lyme/bart (having GI workup). No doubt all the Rx abx are partly to blame.

May have ANS testing for vagus nerve. Cardiologist I saw last year for chest pain, palps, SOB felt vagus nerve could be reason for heart and GI symptoms. Now seeing GI doc who thinks probable motility issue (so vagus nerve).

My diet is so limited there are barely any foods left: gluten-free & dairy-free (both pre-lyme diagnosis), now egg-free, sugar-free, low histamine (mast cell activation), low FODMAP (SIBO), now low sulfur…it’s ridiculous! How I’ve gained 30 pounds in the last 6 years I do not know ☹ I know many of you can relate.

I’ve been working w/excellent lyme literate herbalist to help get on core Buhner protocol for all 3 infections. But unfortunately I’m also having trouble even tolerating many of the detox/support herbs needed before getting to core protocols/killing infections (other than cryptolepis which I seem to tolerate and have been on since 2015).

My gut just can’t tolerate so many things. And I’m fed up with so many pills, tinctures, etc. making me feel so much worse (way more than just GI symptoms). I need to simplify my treatment plan.

So I’m stuck…..Needing to heal my gut and address CBS and liver detox, but also treat infections as naturally as possible. I’m considering one or more of the following: mHBOT, UBI/UVLRx, RIFE, hopefully some more herbs eventually.

Can someone tell me whether or not it’s ok to use mHBOT with CBS upregulation since increasing glutathione has made me feel worse? Should I treat the CBS mutation/liver detox for a certain length of time first? How long?

I’m trying to decide whether or not I should try my first mHBOT session yet (20 minutes max with no supplemental 02). I’m claustrophobic but need to just get over it. My PCP has an Oxyhealth Vitaeris 320 that I can try for $100/session, or can rent for $1,200/month, which is better than buying my own right away.

PCP also offers UBI treatments, and has one chronic lyme/bart patient who improved a lot with a combo of mHBOT and UBI. There is also a local doctor (not mine) who has the new UVLRx but don’t really want to add yet another doctor to the list.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Posts: 26 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

In this pdf (http://www.drhirani.com/Assets/HBOTIntro.pdf) it states that mHBO increases glutathione by 15% for 24 hours. I bet any IV or oral supplementation of glutathione is higher than that level, but I cant find documentation to verify that. But I would think that mHBO would be a gentler introduction of glutathione to your system. I bet Phioph has those stats. I do know that when I tried IV glutathione push. I did not feel better afterwards. So much so that I did not pursue that treatment again. mHBO did not do that to me.

I hear you about being fed up with pills, tinctures etc. That is why I bought our chamber. I knew that I could not take antibiotics for the rest of my life. It has proved to be invaluable to my health. It has been as beneficial as IV antibiotics (that I have done twice for months at a time).

But as far as your specific question about the CBS mutation and how mHBO impacts that. I am not sure it can be answered. MTHFR science is in its infancy. To know how it affects mHBO treatment has probably not been studied.

The mantra here is with mHBO treatment is to start low, go slow. That way it is tolerated better. Some us started that way. Inflating the chamber for 10 minutes, 20 minutes without oxygen, then 10 minutes for decompression/deflating. Not increasing the time until it is tolerated. There is no extra points earned for pushing too hard.

I definitely think that this mode of treatment worth consideration.

rainboworiver
Member # 45562

Peimomma,

Thanks for sharing. Is there a single place where you documented your treatment journey so I can read it?

Has anyone done a combination of mHbot and bee venom therapy? And how did that go? Did it speed up the treatment?

Also I have a brain aneurysm of greater than 5mm? Is it safe to do the dives?

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Rainboworiver,

Here's the link to my 2 year journey documented in 9 videos.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCq8tswWaaBy6qZwCbXRMKnw

I wanted to be as transparent as possible so I did videos as I was treating over the last 24 months. I also kept a journal to refer back to as I went day by day and it definitely helped me see the gains I made over time.

Kgg I sent you a message....or maybe not? Trying to forgive out who's who on FB and this page.

Thanks to those for the good leads. I took my lab reports in and an explosive of what they mean to Lyme patients. I look as this as an opportunity to educate the medical community that is still oblivious to what we endure. I'm very thankful that both of my bosses are extremely supportive of the exemption for me so they are willing to plead my case. Regardless I won't take the 4 vaccines they are requiring.

I'll keep you posted💚☀️🌵

rainboworiver
Member # 45562

Peimomma, I watched your videos. Very encouraging!

I am very eager to get started. Can someone recommend where to buy used chamfer and tank?

kgg
Member # 5867

Rainboworiver, this is Phioph's website with purchase/rental info on it: http://freeradicalshyperbaric.com/free-radicals-cooperative-project/purchaserental-options/
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

willbeatthis, I don't know of any books that are specifically about immune function and fasting/ketosis but there are lots of studies on it. You can find them on Pubmed.com
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks, Digby! Appreciate that very much. I'll get on pubmed!

Rainbow- you may want to get an all clear from your neurologist before purchasing etc. Phoiph may
know the most about this but I'm afraid I know nothing on that. Godspeed!

Peimomma- Continue to be a rock star please! You're amazing! Hugs!

Phoiph- hope you are doing great - thanks for ALL you do! [group hug]

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Question- does diving make you more hungry? I've been ravenous and really can only say diving has been the only change. I'm worried I'll gain weight at this rate- any hints! Thank you!!
BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BryanRosner1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone I got my chamber and did my first dive today. I do have a few questions.

1) Is it normal for the compressor to get pretty hot to the touch during use? This seems like a big deal.

2) Have any of you replaced your stock mattress in the unit with something thinner to gain a bit more room?

3) Is it normal for the o2 concentrator to make a pumping sound approximately every few seconds? I know Phoiph has mentioned the concentrators sometimes go into "conserve" mode or "on demand" mode but mine was set at 7 LPM at the time, so hopefully that isn't happening... on another note, I spent hours researching oxygen sensors and even talked to the CEO of this company, so I am picking up this unit to monitor my o2 concentrator. A lot easier than sending it in to be checked. And I am glad for the peace of mind this will bring.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SX86X5C/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=biomed-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00SX86X5C&linkId=340bce7a80a282e786 44cf2bac1795a2

4) Any advice on how best to care for the zippers? I've heard they can break first.

5) Any problem with a pretty long o2 cord from the concentrator? Mine is about 10 or 15 feet long, it's kind of gerry-rigged. Maybe I should get a shorter one.

Thanks!

Posts: 123 | From Tahoe | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

"...Can someone tell me whether or not it’s ok to use mHBOT with CBS upregulation since increasing glutathione has made me feel worse? Should I treat the CBS mutation/liver detox for a certain length of time first? How long?

I’m trying to decide whether or not I should try my first mHBOT session yet (20 minutes max with no supplemental 02). I’m claustrophobic but need to just get over it. My PCP has an Oxyhealth Vitaeris 320 that I can try for $100/session, or can rent for $1,200/month, which is better than buying my own right away..."

Kah419~

mHBOT improves mitochondrial function, which helps the body assimilate nutrients and detox at the cellular level. It also supports all the organs of detoxification.

This is very beneficial to people with genetic detox difficulties, but you will have to go very slowly. IMO, I would not do other detox methods at the same time as starting mHBOT, as you may release more toxins than your body can keep up with. You would also have difficulty discerning what might be causing a reaction.

I wouldn't worry about the glutathione. This is a natural, compensatory reaction of the body to the increased oxidants (which are necessary to fight pathogens, etc.), and is not produced in excess with mHBOT.

Regarding rentals, I have a contact that will rent for less than half of what you have been quoted, with 50% of that rental cost credited toward a purchase if you decide to buy.

You can PM me for the contact info, and we can discuss different options.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

rainboworiver...

As we talked about today, I definitely agree with willbeatthis about having clearance from your neurologist before treating with mHBOT due to the aneurysm.

Once you are cleared, I'm looking forward to helping you get started...

Phoiph
Member # 41238

willbeatthis...

mHBOT will increase metabolism...much like exercise...so it can also increase appetite.

I think this is a good sign that your body is requesting fuel for recovery and repair.

I know you are conscientious about your diet. Are you eating lots of good fats (e.g., coconut oil and avocados) and protein (e.g., eggs and oily fish)? Another filling food would be prepared nuts and nut butters (must be pre-soaked and dried to remove tannins).

Although these are higher calorie foods, they are satisfying so you eat less, and are building blocks for nerve and gut repair.

Eating a little bit of protein before going in the chamber will also help with any low blood sugar issues that some people experience after a dive.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Bryan...

1. Yes, the compressor does get hot.

2. No, I haven't tried a thinner mattress; not sure it would be as comfortable, but maybe others have.

3. Yes, it is normal for the concentrator to make a pumping sound every few seconds. This is the way it removes nitrogen from the air to concentrate oxygen.

Also, I would set your LPM at 8.0-8.5. You need to have enough flow to flush the C02 from the mask, but not so high that you sacrifice 02 purity.

My understanding of oxygen meters is that they need frequent calibration (and are expensive), which is why I have chosen not to buy one. Have you spoken to the 02 concentrator contact I sent you to get another opinion on this unit before you buy?

4. To take care of the zipper, you must not open it when there is pressure in the chamber (wait until there is "slack" before unzipping). Also, always unzip it (using the tab) completely to the stop; (i.e., don't spread it apart to open it while exiting). Of course, be gentle with it, and never force it. Lifting the zipper up to straighten it out while zipping in helps.

5. The longer the 02 tubing, the more resistance to flow (plus there is backpressure from the chamber to consider), but anything under 20 feet with your unit should be OK. I would use the shortest length that is reasonable for your room set-up.

BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Thanks for the useful info Phoiph.

Your concentrator contact did offer me a sensor option for around $700. However, it has two other measurements which I don't care about -- flow rate and flow pressure. These may be useful measurements for some situations, but not mine.

Actually in my research I've discovered that this thing we are trying to do -- measure o2 purity -- isn't really complicated or exotic at all. It is done all the time. Scuba divers "spray" a bit of air across a sensor before they jump in the water to make sure it is the right level of o2. In other words, this isn't like a controversial topic -- "how easy is it to buy these and do they need to be calibrated." It is very easy and very commonplace.

The one I purchased (yes, I did just place my order) can easily be calibrated for different elevations and has a sensor life of about 3 years, after which it is about $70 to replace.

To me, this represents a very good purchase. Not only will it allow me to have peace of mind regarding the o2 purity, it will also allow me to do so on a more frequent basis than taking my unit in every year, and it will save me the time and money and hassle of doing that. A win-win-win in my mind...

However, before anyone else buys one let me use this one for a while and I'll report my results. I should have it by Thursday.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Yes, Bless you, Phoiph! Your answers and guidance are so helpful. I'm going to try your food suggestions- I think I'm missing out on good fats and over doing protein. The snack before diving sounds great. I've been somewhat baffled by this as I've never been so hungry in my whole life and with as much laying down between rife and diving- this really answers my question. Thank you...

Thanks also for the suggestion on the zipper by lifting it up- I worry to about my zipper!

Sounds like Bryan you are getting all squared away! Do keep us posted on your concentrator gadget that measures purity. I'm interested to hear!

Thanks, Phoiph! You're the best! Go team go!

kah419
Member # 31572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kah419   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kgg - thank you for the info/advice. That's good to know that even though you didn't do well with IV glutathione, mHBOT did not have that same effect.

Phoiph - thank you for your response. I will PM you.

Posts: 26 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Many people don't do well with supplemental stuff that increases glutathione or moves around metals and toxins. This is quite common.

It is believed, though, that stimulating the body to increase its own production, whether by mHBOT or by amino acid supplementation, etc., will not have the same negative effects.

In fact, it is probably impossible to get well without doing so!

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

That makes good sense Bryan. I've never been as sick as when Dr. H did a glutithione push on me in his office. We never did that again.

Thanks, All!

BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Check out the work of Andrew Cutler PhD with regard to glutathione. Specifically his book Amalgam illness.
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Mhbot helpful with fighting cancer?
Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

"...However, it has two other measurements which I don't care about -- flow rate and flow pressure. These may be useful measurements for some situations, but not mine..."

Actually, these three measurements are inter-related, which is why they test all 3.

If a concentrator is not putting out adequate flow pressure (PSI), the flow rate (LPM) may be affected (especially considering the additional backpressure of the chamber).

Flow rate and oxygen purity are inversely related. In other words, the higher the flow rate setting, the harder the machine has to work, sacrificing some 02 purity. If a machine is not working properly, a symptom might be that the flow rate may have to be set lower than it should to reach or maintain adequate oxygen purity.

That said, your Air Sep oxygen concentrator is almost brand new, so you should be fine.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks, Bryan, will do!

And Phoiph- for all you do!

Monti- good to see you! Seems I've read it is but don't know of a study to point you to. Maybe others will chime in!

BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

A couple questions for people. How long does it generally take you to go down, and come up? I've been at about 20 minutes for each. Is this normal, or long, or just right?

My right ear has been giving me some grief, also. It does seem to equalize OK, it just gets irritated from all the activity. I've always had problems with my right side sinuses, this is the side I get sinus infections in, etc. Any tips? Maybe ibuprofin to calm it down?

Yes Phoiph those other measurements are useful but my purpose is basically just to shove the sensor in front of the concentrator and make sure it's putting out a reasonable o2 level. I'm not looking for precision, just a ballpark.

Haley
Member # 22008

Go down and come up?! I'm guessing you mean to be fully pressurized. It takes a few minutes for me; I'll have to time it next time I'm in the chamber. I would say 3 to 4 minutes.

I had severe pain in my right ear the first time I tried the chamber. I actually thought my eardrum had ruptured because it was so painful. I too had some mild isssues on the right side of my throat and sinus area before I started. I still have problems on the right side and may have done some permanent damage. I have no regrets and feel that the benefits far outweigh the cost .

Ibuprofen or Afrin would probably help .

BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Are the ears more likely to be damaged when pressurizing or depressuring?
Phoiph
Member # 41238

I know I sound like a broken record here, but it is best to take at least 10 minutes to pressurize, and 10 minutes to depressurize, not only for your ears, but for you whole body.

This is not just my opinion, but also that of my neuro/HBOT specialist friend.

Pressure in the ears is normal if it can be cleared, but pain or discomfort is not; if this occurs then depressurize immediately to a PSI level where there is no ear pain. Stay at that level for the remainder of the dive; and try again to move up slowly during the next dive.

It pays to allow your ears the time they need to adjust. Many people have narrow Eustachian tubes, scar tissue, congestion, and/or inflammation, which requires more patience during the adjustment period.

If you push past pain, there can be irritation or damage to the delicate tissues (as Haley mentioned), and this can take time to heal and an interruption of diving for an extended period of time. Not worth it!

BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Have people noticed a honey moon phase? My first few dives, I felt fantastic. Now, that feeling is gone. I'm not really herxing, just back to baseline.
kgg
Member # 5867

Yes. Phioph has discussed/warns about this. It's that wonderful two step forward one back dance. But don't get discouraged. The fantastic feeling will return.
kgg
Member # 5867

I concur with the 10 minutes inflating, 10 minutes decompressing. I have been diving over a year and still take that long.

Like others here, my right ear is my problem ear. Had it not equalize during a flight years ago. Very painful. And I have a cryptic tonsil on the same side that flares and causes ear pain. I either take Aleve or if my sinuses feel full will take a decongestant. There are trigger points around the ears that if massaged with help with that ear pain. Heat helps as well.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

I take 10 to 12 minutes each to pressurize/depressurize. I had problems with my right ear due to an airline flight where it wouldn't clear and it bled.

Going slow and frequently clearing during the pressure changes helped a lot.

I also used an old "swimmer's ear" remedy in the beginning to reduce inflammation. Simply a combination of Mullein Oil and Grapefruit Seed Extract, dropped in the ear canal and blocked with cotton, twice a day. It helped within 24 hours each time I needed it.

After the first 6 months of diving I no longer had any discomfort in my ears.

BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Reporting the results of my purchase of the Analox o2 eii pro nitrox oxygen analyzer for $260 on eBay.

I have some pure 100% bottled oxygen laying around, so I used this as the "control" test to compare to my concentrator. I set the calibration to 16.9% ambient oxygen since that's about what it is where I live at 6500 feet.

First I tested the bottled oxygen which read: 85%

Then I tested air from my concentrator which, after the concentrator had time to warm up, came in at about 78%.

So that means my concentrator lags the o2 bottles by only 7%, which I think is fantastic.

Now I realize this is a very unscientific test. I'm not a professional and I don't play one on TV. But this to me is definitely worth doing. The peace of mind is very worth $260 when I am spending 2 hours a day PLUS $10,000 on a treatment. Why not spend 2% more to know it's working correctly.

Theoretically this should save me from ever having to get my concentrator checked out. Now, granted, it helps to have some bottled o2 around as a "control" for the study but I don't think it's necessary, or at least not mandatory.

Anyway, I consider it a good use of $260 and I'll keep the thing around and do periodic tests.

By the way, I'm also very excited to see what the ambient air o2 levels are INSIDE the chamber but away from the mask. Phoiph and others always say to lay the mask down during the adjustment phase, which is good advice, but soon I'll have some solid data on exactly what that means -- how much o2 a person is breathing in the chamber when the mask is off.

Also, I'm going to bring the meter into the chamber next time and I expect the o2 levels to be higher all around because of the increased pressure.

I'll report back with my results...

In the meantime here's the meter I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SX86X5C/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=biomed-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00SX86X5C&linkId=340bce7a80a282e786 44cf2bac1795a2

Super user friendly, took me less than 5 minutes to set it up. The sensor says it will last 3 to 5 years per the instructions, and it is only $75 to replace, so that's a cost of about $15-20 per year for peace of mind.

PS- By the way, this thing is actually very accurate. It is used in scuba diving and peoples' lives literally depend on it. For us, if the concentrator is broken we are still breathing room air in the chamber and won't die. For divers, it is a much bigger deal. So I think it is plenty good enough for my purposes.

BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

In the past I've noticed that the netti pot may increase inflammation. Do people find netti pot is good or bad for diving?
kgg
Member # 5867

I have used a netti pot sporadically. I am not convinced it helps me. But what I do, is prior to diving I use Simply Saline. Between the woods stoves this winter and the drying effect of the oxygen, I find saline helpful.
Haley
Member # 22008

So Bryan... how does that device work? Can I test the oxygen anywhere? For example if I go to the beach could I test the oxygen or does it need to be connected to something.
BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Haley, you can test the air anywhere. When you turn it on, it just shows the ambient air o2 level. It has an in-line hookup if you want to hook it up to your concentrator, and it also has a little hole on it that detects ambient air.

So... I was in my chamber and when not breathing from the mask, but with the mask on, the ambient o2 was consistently around 30%. Might be useful info for those who don't use the mask. Probably more like 35% if you live at sea level.

And in the mask, it was around 90% pure oxygen...so my concentrator is functioning well.

I still am very glad I bought the gadget. It annoys me that the concentrators don't have a gauge on them. Sure maybe they have an alarm that is "supposed" to go off, but I prefer a real measurement of something this important. FYI.

Kristine001
Member # 47901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristine001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool experiments with the O2 meter Bryan, thanks!

Regarding Peimomma’s vaccine issue, for anyone who has a 23andme report, you can get a free “increased adverse event risk from vaccines” report at www.livewello.com by Dr Stoller (the HBOT doctor). Perhaps it could provide additional validation that you and vaccines don’t mix. There are other vaccine reports too but I haven’t run them. Type in “vaccines” under Gene Library, which is under Genetics.

I was having lots of PVCs and PACs, but they stopped, just in time to see my cardiologist. That was a few weeks ago and I’m diving again with no symptoms. I hesitantly attribute the problem to perimenopause, or just my crazy body.

Dive 263 today and I’m so much stronger than when I began. Since I don’t tolerate meds HBOT has been a Godsend. My only remaining complaints are my gut and chemical sensitivity. I am looking into the mast-cell/histamine thing for my gut, since all the obvious stuff makes it worse.

Posts: 22 | From HI | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Great information Bryan and at least gives us an option to monitor our concentrators ourselves if we choose. One thing I've noticed about living in AZ with the elderly population is that anything medical is overpriced. I called about service for my concentrator and asked how much they sell an Airsep 10L for and the lady told me $2400, that's twice the amount we paid.

I've already put in an order for the O2 analyzer to test the O2 level on my unit. I like the way you think and it is a small investment to ensure optimal levels of treatment in an expensive chamber.

Thanks for the vaccine info Kristine. I'm still waiting for another ruling by the higher ups and have passed my lab work along to educate the misinformed if nothing else.

I've added swimming to my exercise routine and cut back on the walking with the temps in the 90's now. WOW is that a workout. 10 laps, weights 3 times a week, working full time and socializing. Still diving daily as my body continues to adjust and condition to my new more demanding life. Tomorrow we head to a NASCAR race and I will see how I do with the heat and loud cars😳 Last time that mixture gave me a seizure so this should be a good test. Luckily the 2 others I'm going with are willing to leave if it's uncomfortable.

Finally had my 2 year labs drawn this week so now the waiting begins. Video to come in the next six weeks with updates.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Yes, thanks, Bryan for the link and great description of the O2 meter. My Airsep is so heavy and upstairs- to try to carry it somewhere to be tested is virtually impossible. I'll likely invest in one of these at some point in the near future.

Kristine- It is wonderful to hear the pvcs havr resolved and you are only dealing with gut issues and Chem. Sensitivity. Not to down play those issues but it sounds like you have made great gains!

Well, Peimomma- you are something! It's great that you can swim now and do weights. I bet you'll handle the AZ spring well this way- summer too! I bet the sunshine is a real blessing!

Glad that you have so much support on your vaccine issue- do keep us posted! I'm praying for you today at the race- good you can leave if you need to but it sounds like you will be a okay! What a monumental thing really!

Yay for your blood work! We cannot wait to hear.

Bryan, hope all is going well for you- Kgg and Haley too!

I'm still diligent about my daily dives, hungry as ever(fats and protein have helped-thank you all- but man- wowser!), feeling herxing a good bit of the time- mainly pain deep in hips right now- not awful, but good to experience it goes deep!

Wishing everyone a great weekend! Thanks, Phoiph, for being there every step of this journey- it means more than you know!

BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Do people fire up their concentrators for a while before going in chamber, since it takes them a while to max out o2 level?

Also, does your concentrator lpm flow drop a bit when you are at max pressure?

Lastly, is it safe to exercise right after diving, or is the body too "whacked out" from the dive?

kgg
Member # 5867

I just start it as I am getting into the chamber. It is my understanding that it does drop in lpm which is why there are specific oxygen concentrators that are used with mHBO chambers.

As far as the timing of exercising, I don't know. I think Phioph probably has some good info on that.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hey Bryan- I let mine go until the yellow light goes off and then I turn on the compressor and climb in. Kgg answered your other question and I agree Phoiph needs to shed light on your question re: exercise right after. Interesting- how long do you see that it takes your concentrator to get to max capacity? Thanks!
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Bryan~

Depending on conditions, it can take 5 to 15 minutes for a concentrator to reach max 02 purity. That's why it makes sense to turn the concentrator on in advance of getting into the chamber.

With an Airsep concentrator that is 20 psi, the LPM should not drop when using your chamber at the full pressure of 4.2 psi.

If you were using a SeQual concentrator, that is 7.5 psi, for example, you would expect the LPM to drop slightly when using the chamber at the full pressure of 4.2 psi. Anything lower than 7.5 psi wouldn't be recommended for use with a chamber, as it can't counteract the backpressure.

How much is your LPM dropping when using the chamber? Are you sure there are no kinks in the tubing? (Be sure to check the port where it enters the chamber on the inside.) How long is your tubing, and are you using any connectors to join lengths of tubing?

Regarding exercise and mHBOT, IMO you should space your mHBOT and exercise sessions as far apart as possible.

Exercise requires a lot of oxygen...and you want your mHBOT therapy to go toward healing, not filling an exercise-related oxygen deficit.

Since Both exercise and mHBOT are similar in that they raise metabolism, generate free radicals, and promote antioxidant production, it is best to spread the two out as much as possible as to let your body process, rest and recover in between.

BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Thanks for the input Phoiph and everyone.....

Another quick question. I know sinus congestion is a reason not to dive, but what are some other reasons to stay out of the chamber?

How about a headache? Or a non-sinus related flu?

I am in my chamber now and I got in with a headache... I hope that is ok. It's not a Lyme headache, I think it may be a cold the kids passed on to me. My sinuses and ears are fine, but will the headache cause problems?

Phoiph
Member # 41238

mHBOT (and sometimes oxygen alone)is used to treat migraines and cluster headaches.

If it is the flu, it is not recommended to dive if you have a fever.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Is it beneficial to dive if you have a cold\flu but no fever and congestion but not in ears etc(or marked let's say). I've gotten something and my body's trying to fight - seems like this would help it fight. Thanks, All!
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been working through this thread (IT'S LONG),I've heard lots of good things. I am not too far into it, but I was wondering if people could give me a 'this worked' or this worked ___%. Or didn't work at all. It's a big investment and I'm just trying to do my homework.

Simply the size of this thread says it's something to think about. [Smile]

Also a question for phoiph... do you still use your chamber daily? I noticed in 2013 you were about 2 years into your dives. Wondering what your regime is now.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

HW88- I've just started about the same time as Bryan so I think it's too early for me to tell you.

Reading through the thread is an education in and of itself and then Phoiph has a website you can look at as well. Reading the book Oxygen Revolution may also help.

I'm sorry but I cannot find the link to her website but I know it is posted here in the thread.

I did my homework and it is the treatment at this time that makes the most sense to me. It allows your immune system to take the helm again. Until this happens with chronic lyme- I think you are symptomatic plain and simple. Godspeed!

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Phoiph can help you too in terms of ways to do it that are more affordable. With guidance, thank you, Phoiph, I found my system on Let Go of all places. I am thankful every day!
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Here you go HW88:
http://freeradicalshyperbaric.com/

This is packed with info! Let us know how we can help further.... I know you are waiting on some percentages and such. Good for you that you are doing your homework!

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

HW88 I didn't come on scene in the thread until the end of 2014 and began treatment in Feb 2015. I only treated with mHBOT after declining on all other therapies and finding myself unable to work or function.

I documented my 2 year journey using mHBOT in 9 videos to date. I have completed my 800th dive this morning 😊 I just started full time work in January so I still treat daily while my body adjust to my very busy schedule of work, weight lifting, swimming and walking as well as carrying on a normal social life.

Here's the link to my videos, they are between 3-4 minutes each.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCq8tswWaaBy6qZwCbXRMKnw

Welcome to the thread

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi All: Due to congestion, I have to stop for a bit. I tried to dive tonight and honestly it hurt- didn't realize I had so much congestion in my ears. So I decompressed and called it a day. Thanks all for your support!
kgg
Member # 5867

Willbeatthis, I see you are in the South. Perhaps Spring allergies? Have you tried a decongestant? Not sure what Phioph thinks of using them to help dive. I have done it a couple of times. You are smart not to push through the pain. Hang in there!
kah419
Member # 31572

Anyone with chronic sinusitis using mHBOT long-term without any major problems?

I’ve had sinus issues my whole life, but worsened significantly with lyme in 2010. I believe one of the infections directly affected my sinuses because it was one of my first (of many) symptoms along with bullseye. And I have definitely had increased sinus symptoms at times as part of a herx.

Had sinus surgery and home mold remediation in 2015. Since then symptoms well controlled, as long as I do my daily saline rinses and homeopathic nasal spray (has decongestant in it). Also on antihistamines for mast cell activation. I do not take a daily oral decongestant and have only needed one this January with my first and only sinus infection since surgery.

So sinuses doing well and cleared by ENT to try mHBOT as long as no acute flare, which he would want me to temporarily stop mHBOT then.

Can mHBOT cause a flare in sinus symptoms?

This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  56  57  58   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement