LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 59 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  57  58  59   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't....it was mentioned on another thread, I think it was an informal observation noted in Dr JS's books....
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not on lymenet often so not seeing some of your posts, Poiph. Since it's nearly 2014 and my first hbot was in 2001 (January), I researched it very intensively. I was speaking with a researcher. I spoke with every major researcher in the country (not clinic owners) and did thorough investigation. I am not going to argue with you. After all my research, it's clear to me it is suppressive, even at 2.4 ata, and not borrelecidal (sp?). That doesn't mean it's not really useful. It's great adjunctive therapy. And in fact I think 2.4 ata is just too high, for the benefits. I'd do under 2.0 ata anyway.
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nonrebreather mask supposedly facilitates oxygen uptake but I don't like them. A typical plastic mask used in the Oxyhealth and other similar chambers leaks, so it provides about 50-60% oxygen. A cannula might work a little better, who knows, but probably similar.

You must contrast that with a professional chamber at 50 lpm with 100% oxygen from tanks.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Fife did one small study and later admitted it was not definitive. I don't put much truck in Fife's small study.
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Fife did one small study and later admitted it was not definitive. I don't put much truck in Fife's small study. As to the other study, were they on antibiotics at the time? Most people doing hyperbaric in clinics use it adjuntively, added on to antibiotics, both IV and oral. I didn't because I can't tolerate antibiotics.

Anyway, no point in arguing. Have said my view after 13 years. I like the mild chambers. I think they need to be used longterm and almost always are adjunctive. Of course everybody is individual in their immune system strength and in the strain(s) of borrelia. Some are mild. Some are self limiting. Some are really virulent. Miramatoi is known to be more virulent for instance. Etc.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oxygenbabe...

I'm not interested in arguing either...we are all here to learn from each other.

For that reason, I was just wondering if you had a reference for the study you mentioned (twice) or other research resources related to your viewpoint that hyperbaric is suppressive, only an adjunct, and does not kill Borrelia.

I am already well, and don't need any convincing about hyperbaric, but others might...and my goal for volunteering my time here is to provide as accurate a picture as possible so that people can make informed decisions...which I believe means backing up strong statements with resources whenever possible...

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD57, you are talking about this study?
http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/hyperbaricoxygenefficacy.html

If so, im not sure this study applies to mHBOT. The study uses greater pressure (2.0-2.85ATA) which is not necessarily beneficial for lyme treatment as Phoiph previously mentioned:
http://www.netnet.net/mums/Harch2.htm

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah I think that's it. Thanks!

Wait a second....question....if you buy a mHBOT chamber and O2 concentrator....do you still have to wear a mask inside the chamber???

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCarlhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes
Posts: 366 | From Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

OMG, so you are lying inside the chamber with a mask on? wow. Any way out of this? I did not have to wear a mask when I dove at a clinic at 2.4 ATA but they had a hard shelled chamber so perhaps that is why?
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCarlhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to wear a mask to breath a higher level of oxygen. It really isnt bad at all. Watch a football game and you will see players doing this on the sidelines after a long run. You are using an oygen concentrator. The air inside the chamber is not 100% oxygen.
Posts: 366 | From Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

oh i see. then how do you know you are getting up to 1.3 ATA inside the chamber? I thought that was the whole point, to have your whole body bathed in 1.3 ATA, not just breathing in the equivalent?
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

1.3 is the equivalent atmospheric pressure provided by the pressure equivalent to 11 feet under water. Even without the supplimental o2 provided by oxygen compressor the normal oxygen of ambient air is purported to increase. The compressor provides more o2 to chamber both through mask and by definition of supply. This is why it is important to get a compressor that delivers enough psi and lpm. At least 8 lpm. There are a number of them that are only at 5 lpm. Important spec if you buy a used unit albeit you can get a new concentrator meeting specs for around $1300.
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Phoiph, it's not a viewpoint, it's informed by research--and it's simply a fact imho. As to you're well, I assume you are doing ongoing treatments. If you stop for six months entirely and feel just as good, please report it here, that will be a novel report and interesting.

Borrelia are microaerophilic, not anaerobic. They also exist in several forms and some are pretty much inert metabolically. Those would be cysts and what seem to be granules/seeds (like syphilis, ketes have been seen throwing off these granules/seeds which might be comparable I suppose to eggs). In those forms they are more resistant to any killing or suppressing mechanism. Active borrelia can be slowed or suppressed by hbot, but there is no evidence they can be killed especially in the tissue reservoirs where they often nest, which even with hbot are low oxygen (bone, ligament, tendon, etc). Just as refractory osteomyletis usually requires hbot at 2.4 ata plus antibiotic therapy (and *those* bacteria are anaerobic generally, not microaerophilic), chronic lyme may be viewed in the same way.

You might say that you are in remission with continued treatment, and that you were one of the lucky ones, since a mild chamber alone with no other treatments doesn't generally lead to remission. However, your immune system might be strong and you might have a milder strain than some. There are a variety of strains and some are far more disabling than others--even though they all might make someone sick.

You need to do your own research, I don't have time and don't have references at the ready from 10 years ago, when I was in NY. You need to do your own research at hyperbaric medicine centers. You could call some, at universities with research facilities and doctors that specialize, to get a sense of what 1.3 ata with about 50% oxygen at about 8-10 lpm per minute would do in terms of saturation of which tissues to what extent.

'Nuff said. I've always said hbot is underutilized although because it's only suppressive, I don't like the higher pressures that only one small study by Fife set out. I think a month or two of 5-7 days at 1.5-2.0 ata is sufficient, with antibiotics if you can, and then maintenance with a mild hbot. I can't address this again I just don't have time.

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

I should add, the cysts will degrade over several years. Nobody knows how many but at some point they won't be viable. Cysts can give birth to multiple daughter spirochetes. And of course those spirochetes can encyst (by wrapping around themselves essentially) and those will be viable for several years etc. The granules have really not been studied in lyme, and not in depth in syphilis, but they are likely sources of spirochetes, too. Whether they stay latent and dormant really depends on a lot of factors including life stresses, immune system, reinfection, any kind of infection, surgery, anesthesia, stress etc
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

The mask is no big deal. It's a soft leaky plastic mask and not unpleasant. Rebreathers are kind of unpleasant. Cannulas tickle and may not be as effective, not sure. In a Vitaeris you can sit up, play with your ipad, or one guy I know rigged up a tv so he could watch movies while lying down with head on pillows.
mbdq
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbdq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, people are trying to debate "science and research" regarding hyperbaric that does not exist yet. There are no well-designed, properly controlled studies on the effects of hyperbaric oxygen on borrelia, co-infections etc. We do not know correct depths, time of treatment, mechanism of action, etc.

We can piece together ideas, look at work in other species and organisms, read blogs, listen to patient reports, etc but none will give us a definitive answer on how to cure this thing we call lyme.

This is an extremely complex illness, and especially when undiagnosed and given the opportunity to wreak havoc on multiple body systems with many forms of virulence, it can seem insurmountable.

To some degree, we are all taking risks and experimenting with and without Dr's. support with this illness. Whether its long-term antibiotics, herbs, rife, parasites, chelation, hyperbaric, you name it.

Every person and every person's illness is different. Unfortunately with long-term, chronic illness we must take our health into our own hands and CHOOSE what we feel is best for US.

Hyperbaric may help some or a lot of lyme patients, for others its strictly antibiotics, or rife or photons or ....

In the end, we each need to make our own decisions about our health, take a risk based on what we know to date and how we feel, and hope it helps in the end.

Posts: 233 | From Hudson Valley | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

Amen mbdq
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed mdbq!

Oxygenbabe...I have also done extensive research, and understand everything you are saying regarding cysts forms, and the tenacity of Borellia in general (by the way, far from a "mild" strain, I had the European, neurological Garinii strain, implicated in ALS, Alzheimers, Schizophrenia, etc.).

This is why I maintain that mHBOT must be done frequently, consistently, and long-term to be effective. I have been doing mHBOT for over 2-1/2 years, (800+ dives) and don't plan on quitting any time soon...that would be insane. I will likely use my chamber at some level indefinitely, as I believe it offers benefits above and beyond treating Lyme Disease.

(For the record, I was without my chamber recently for 5 weeks straight due to a repair issue...and felt fine...no symptoms of relapse whatsoever.)

I believe that eventually, cyst (and other) forms will periodically morph into forms that are vulnerable to mHBOT and a now-healthy immune system, or they will degrade over time.

My concern is that mHBOT is not always used this way (people often think of it as an "adjunct", and to be used infrequently and/or for a limited number of treatments), and I believe this results in treatment failures.

Meanwhile, I am happy to say that relaxing in a chamber for 1 hour per day is a small price to pay to have a full, active, med-free life back...even if it were to be a life-long commitment...

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Phoiph, you're an N of 1. I do know a Lymie who sells them and has done it daily for years. He has lots of health issues and thinks some are Lyme related and some are not.

It's definitely individual. Mostly hbot deep and mild are adjunctive for any condition whether stroke, osteomyelitis, Lyme, cerebral palsy, diabetic wounds, surgical recovery etc. it just is not seen as a curative therapy in the literature. And it makes sense your treatments are ongoing. The guinea pigs relapsed after three months. I agree an hour a day to have a life back is a small commitment.

Virulent strains-- I was thinking of the strains Luft wrote about and of b. mitamatoi

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

By the way, phoiph, why don't you go public with your real name and story? If you honestly are in this to pay it forward and not to earn commissions. If you think it's curative used daily long term. I admit to wondering why you are ardent bit anonymous.
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

This thread has become very disparaging. This is not a contest to see who is right and who is wrong. I think it has been said numerous times that everybody reacts differently and chooses their treatment. I for one appreciate both Phoiph and Oxyenbabe observations and advice. Both of you have been gracious to answer direct PM's for me as well as direct emails. Maybe we all need to come up for a little oxygen [Smile]
Phoiph
Member # 41238

quote:
Originally posted by oxygenbabe:
By the way, phoiph, why don't you go public with your real name and story? If you honestly are in this to pay it forward and not to earn commissions. If you think it's curative used daily long term. I admit to wondering why you are ardent bit anonymous.

Oxygenbabe...

It is inappropriate to attack someone's integrity because they disagree with you.

I am not sure what you mean by my being "anonymous"...aren't we all anonymous on Lymenet...or is your real name "Oxygenbabe"?

And yes, your right...maybe I should go public...write a book or something...I might make more than the imaginary "commissions" you suspect I am taking...

I think it would be best for us to agree to disagree, and refrain from any more contact...

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since i am now orienting on the mHBOT market, what is your opinion on "Summit to Sea" chambers?

http://www.hyperbaric-dives.com/

They are a bit cheaper than OxyHealth, and ive heard you can get an upgrade to 1.5bar for something like 1K$.

I believe some of their components are actually manufactured in Europe which means less import taxes if you live in a european country.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know opinions can get pretty strong about issues related to Lyme disease/treatment, but we cannot attack one another... because we need the valuable input from one another.

Everyone's experience is valid, and just because one person found this or that helpful and another didn't, doesn't mean it's not true.

I want to say that I really appreciate Phoiph coming to lymenet to share her amazing recovery and how that happened!

I also appreciate what Oxygenbabe has contributed on the subject, especially the input on some of the practical/technical details concerning mHBOT and her experience with higher pressures.

If we are going to get a good understanding of this treatment modality, we need everyone's respectful collaboration-otherwise we all will suffer!

I think mHBOT holds promise for each one, and hopefully in a few months we will have more feedback concerning this. Until then, please keep your friendly comments coming--personal updates, new info, studies, etc. And continue to lend that personal support.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Im curious TNT, how is your treatment coming along? Still a rough ride?
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi S13...
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi S13...

It is illegal to sell a pressure upgrade kit along with a chamber...FDA only approves soft chambers to 1.3 ATA.

Chamber dealers are also not allowed to sell oxygen concentrators along with chambers...as this puts them into a different medical class which is not FDA approved.

Oxyhealth voids their warranties on any chamber that is upgraded to a higher pressure.

The company you mentioned has had safety issues that you can research before you make a decision...

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Ok, perhaps the upgrade kit is non-FDA country only option then?

I will research the safety issues. This is an important consideration for sure!

TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing daily dives with a concentrator (20 psi, 10 lpm) in a soft chamber (1.3 ATA) for an hour each day. Today will be my 29th dive (consecutive days).

Yes, still a very tough time. But I don't think because of the hbot. I have been on low dose ABX for a few months now, and don't feel like we are getting the right combination.

Everytime I increase my protozoa treatment, or add something (even extremely low dose) for this, I get a major flare. And then I waste away a little more, and feel less and less human. More bone and joint deterioration and pain, more coordination deterioration, more muscle pain, twitching, and muscle wasting. And this is a weekly pattern.

I have lost 20 lbs. and an inch of height with a very gradual wasting and worsening of physical and mental condition since a "reaction" to Flagyl 2 years ago. I now face a weekly cycle flare, and a resulting deterioration each week.

I am not able to properly transcribe what has and is happening to me. My brain gets overloaded every time I try to describe this to someone. Suffice it to say that I am wasting fast for someone who is in their mid thirties.

I have suspected all along that treating my protozoan infections has allowed the bartonella to come out and that my symptoms for years have mainly been bartonella (looking back). My opinion is that it has gotten out of hand, and ripping me to shreds. It could be the lyme as well. But my feeling is mostly bartonella.

I have been taking low dose amoxicillin and bactrim for a few months now. I have also been taking low dose plaquenil for a couple months with that. The week before Thanksgiving, I upped my Plaquenil to 100mg daily, and have deteriorated quickly again. So, I stopped that and have added low dose Cipro to the mix, and honestly, for the first time in 2 years I feel like maybe this is helping.

(I have tried treating bart. with monotherapy zithromax, bactrim, and even a week of Rifampin-each one helped some, but didn't stop the slide. I also have not been able to come down off 20 drops 2x daily of A-Bart for many months).

With methylation issues, MCS, food sensitivies (now), and the lack of real help from any adjunct, and etc, etc, etc, my case is very difficult and extremely complex. But I feel like the main issue has probably been an out of control bartonella infection that we can't get on top of.

I'm sorry for the muddled, long post. Like I said, to try to understand all this and to put it into words is really beyond me at this point. And, I have been pretty much at the end of my rope for a couple years and the doctors have not known what to do, and I have all but given up, and friends and family don't know what's going on, don't understand me, and don't know how to help. That said, family and friends have been willing to carry me financially. But they honestly don't know how to relate--they think I'm some psychiatric case to a certain extent.

The mHBOT has been somewhat of a last ditch effort, but I honestly don't feel it has helped yet. But (and I hate to say this because of a let down, and for getting other's hopes up) I think that this Cipro may be helping. And I feel strongly enough about the potential of mHBOT (from what I have researched myself) that this will be a very synergistic adjunct to my healing and restoration if things start to turn around. If things do turn around at this point, I will have a hard rehabilitation and may not ever be able to get back to a normal life.

So, to answer your question more directly. I do not feel hyperbarics are helping at this point. But I will continue until I cannot get in and out any more. Time will tell....

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

I can relate with you TNT. I think my case is not as far advanced as yours, but i see the same pattern.
For me too it was bartonella that has been causing me most problems, but it wasnt until i started treating babesia that bartonella really flared up. Before babs treatment i was still able to work and drive in my car a bit. Now im at home and cannot even get my own groceries.

Bartonella sucks! Or is it BLO? No one knows. Good thing you are still tolerating cipro. I got tendon issues after 1 dose. Now im on rifampin for 4 weeks and it is very slow going. I hope the hbot can give the additional push i need to get the infections under control.

TNT
Member # 42349

I want to add that if mHBOT does help, I will attribute trying this treatment mainly to Phoiph coming back to lymenet and making this modality more visible to others because of her own experience.
TNT
Member # 42349

Hi S13,

I know some people can't handle the fluoroquinolones because of the tendon toxicity. I was previously on Levaquin (a few years ago) and didn't have any trouble then.

I probably would have some issues now if I would start out with a full dose like I did with the Levaquin, but I start everything at really minute doses now. I took 125mg of Cipro once a day for the first two days to begin with.

It's extremely weird, but my tendons really feel better since starting the Cipro. For months, the nodules were getting worse and worse (and WORSE!) until they became strings of little painful nodules tied together. I could (and still can) feel the nodules on the tendons move across the bones when I move my feet. But the pain is less!

Yea, Bartonella is a horror! I believe like Dr. S that it is a world epidemic. I have analyzed this to a fault, but I see a strong correlation of Parkinson's to bartonella infection.

And why else is road rage and psychiatric cases on an alarming increase? I don't say these things to very many people because they think I'm off my rocker saying things like this.

Well, I'm getting a little off the subject now....but hopefully mHBOT will prove to help with my bartonella and my healing.

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

My question was valid. If someone claims to be cured (actually in remission with ongoing sessions, and repeatedly questions input that borrelia is not killed in vivo even at 2.4 ata in a chronic Lyme patient, claims to receive no commissions and set aside half in a pay it forward fund (I received a commission two years ago for recommending the mhbot to a doctor who then bought it btw so I know commissions are routine) I'd like to know their real name. Generally even then I take cure stories with a grain of proverbial salt even if true because of how different we are.

I want to emphasize its an excellent underutilized therapy generally and I'm glad if it helps anybody here.

CD57
Member # 11749

TNT, possibly your bartonella is a problem because you have done mostly monotherapy for it. You really need to do double intracellulars for bart, Buhner says it, and all the LLMDs. I think Dr H in NY discovered this several yrs ago. So perhaps you should consider one of the Dr H combos for it:
Cipro/mino/Plaquenil
Cipro/doxy/Plaqenil
Bactrim/Rifampin/Zithromax

there are several listed in his new book. Please check it out. It could be very beneficial.

TNT
Member # 42349

Thanks, CD57, I have done triple ABX treatment for short periods, but had to stop because of all the gut issues.

But I now wish I had stayed the course somewhat longer the times I was treating more aggressively.

And... if I had not used Flagyl, I believe I would definitely be in better shape to hit things more aggressively.

According to some labs, it does appear that my fungal load is minimized at this point, so that is in my favor hopefully.

A local friend has a copy of his book, and I should be able to read through it soon. I will definitely check that out.

CD57
Member # 11749

Perhaps you can do low doses of triple combos?
CD57
Member # 11749

Perhaps you can do low doses of triple combos? I wonder what it was about the Flagyl that set things off, that is interesting.

And you notice a flare every time to try to do antiparasitics, which is also interesting. Maybe it's not bartonella?

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

So would a combo of Mino and Rifampin be considered double intracellular?
Or should i add bactrim/septra ds for example?

CD57
Member # 11749

mino and Rifampin is a double intracellular. Some docs add a third, or Plaquenil to alkalinize the intracellular compartment.
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

Another recently released interesting article.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0079995

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Ive decided also to take the "dive".
It will take a couple of weeks to get everything shipped here, but after that i should be good to go!
Fingers crossed [Smile]

CD57
Member # 11749

allright! keep us posted.
BBinme
Member # 34131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BBinme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phioph, I cannot seem to send you a pm until you respond to my last pm...not sure why it works that way and I cannot figure out another way. Can you pm me please? Thanksd
Posts: 79 | From Maine | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Okay...sent!
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

So, i already got the air concentrator, an intensity 10L model. Was just playing around with it since i have no mhbot chamber yet.

Wat an awful sound it makes! I thought it would be quiet since it is intended for home use, but no way... My ears are oversensitive because of neurological bart, so looking for ways to make it less noisy. Any ideas?

Phoiph
Member # 41238

S13...

The AirSep makes a "test alarm" sound for about 5 seconds when you start it up, then should just make a repetitive "whooshing" sound, with a low motor hum in the background.

Remember that you will not hear this as clearly when you are inside the chamber, and you can always wear headphones (after you are up to full pressure and have cleared your ears).

You can also move the concentrator farther from the chamber and use a longer hose, but the longer the hose, the harder the unit has to work, and you may lose a little flow/purity.

I had huge sound sensitivity issues as well, and was able to tolerate this (and the sound of the compressor) once I got inside the chamber. Just don't turn it on until you're ready to use it...

Also, a precaution...don't ever turn your concentrator off before the chamber is depressurized completely; the backflow from the chamber can damage it...

I wrote up some basic step-by step instructions/precautions on how to take a "dive", and care for your equipment that I can send you if you like...

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

quote:
Originally posted by Phoiph:

Also, a precaution...don't ever turn your concentrator off before the chamber is depressurized completely; the backflow from the chamber can damage it...

Ah yes that is good advice indeed!
Guess ill see how it goes when the chamber arrives, perhaps the sound isnt as annoying then.

And yes please send me the instructions! That would come in handy for sure.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Okay...sent!
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Thank you very much Phoiph!
Toni L
Member # 42785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toni L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph, Will you please send me the instructions too? My daughter starts mHbot next week and FIR Sauna to help detox. Thank you.
Posts: 20 | From Longmont, CO | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Toni...

I just PM'd you...

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I am not using it at present, I would appreciate a copy of your instructions. I have someone who may be start using out chamber.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I am not using it at present, I would appreciate a copy of your instructions. I have someone who may be start using our chamber.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Even though I am not using it at present, I would appreciate a copy of your instructions. I have someone who may start using our chamber.

Thanks in advance

Phoiph
Member # 41238

kgg...

I just PM'd you...

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

My chamber arrived today! [Smile]
I will start tonight, slowly for 30mins. Im very excited!

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

I found some research regarding mhbot and brain oxygen delivery:

http://www.drneubrander.com/Files/Brain%20Study-clinicalstudyimpaired%20brain%20function.pdf

They use SPECT imaging to show improvements with mHBOT after 10 treatements at 1.3ATA.

CD57
Member # 11749

yay S13! keep us posted.
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Great post S13!

Here's more SPECT scans...download PDF to view...

http://www.hbot.com/SPECT-imaging-PDF

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Ah yes, good find too Phoiph!
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph, great site. I will enjoy reading it. I saw My LLMD yesterday. She is not convinced in its effectiveness. She thinks hard shell and benefits are temporary.

I said so are the benefits of antibiotics for alot of people. When I can afford it, I am getting a chamber. I don't care if I have to do it every day. If it gets rid of my symptoms, it is a small price to pay.

Maybe it requires long term maintenance but if you can have two to three weeks before symptoms start back, that is enough time for a vaction etc.

Last year I maxed out both my in-network and out of network expenses to the tune of $10,000 that is what my insurance covered. Most of that money was spent on symptom relief and a hospital stay after an ER visit.

I had an additional, $1600 out of pocket for IV rocephin that did nothing for me which my insurance did not cover.

I haven't added up my other nonreimbursable expenses for supplements, medicines etc. that I paid. I have a pile of papers in a folder.

I am sick of spending money and not seeing any benefit.

My PCP thinks my infection is now gone and that most of what is left is damage to my system.

I have a new mhbot clinic 30 minutes from my house. They charge $100 dollars a treatment.

After I save some money, I am going to set up some treatments. If I experience symptom relief, then I have my answer. Not too much else is working.

All who are doing mHBOT, please keep us posted on your progress. Even in stops and starts, if progress is made, it is helpful to know.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Soccermomma...

In my opinion benefits are often only temporary as your doctor said...but this is often because people quit treating too soon with mHBOT, or don't treat consistently enough.

I may sound like a broken record, but this is not a sprint, it is a marathon. I treated daily for one whole year without taking a day off...and then it was a short vacation, and I resumed immediately when I returned.

I thought I was well at that point (I was actually traveling again, etc., after not having left the house for 5 years), but now that I have been using my chamber for 2-1/2 years, I realize how much further I have come since then. Healing takes time.

If I had quit treatments after the usual 40-day protocol (which I almost did, as I didn't notice benefit yet at that point), I am 100% positive I would have not become well.

So, although I'm very happy when I hear that people are considering mHBOT, my concern is that they will buy 40-60 treatments a clinic, and spend thousands, and regardless of whether or not they receive benefit in this short time, it is most likely not going to be enough time for the treatment to "stick"...and they are left with no ongoing treatment.

This is why I encourage people to consider a home chamber...which is an investment that can always be re-sold...

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I share your opinion. My plan is to get a chamber for home. What I was trying to say is that last year alone I spent the money that could have been used on a chamber and did not see any improvement.

I am not going to make that mistake this year. However, I will try some sessions at this clinic so that I will now what to do etc.

mHBOT works for alot of things. I think it will truly help with my remaining symptoms at the very least. If it provides a "cure, then I am blessed all the more.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Soccermama...

Great. I know I keep belaboring that point...but I just want to be clear and don't want to mislead anyone!

I agree about the money...I try not to think about how much I spent over 8 years trying to get well...I could have bought a fleet of chambers...:)

Ruwondering2
Member # 43108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruwondering2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, I've had my own chamber for a few months now. It's a used chamber and came with a 10L oxygen generator is that adequate.
Thanks

Posts: 5 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

If you mean 10 liters per minute, it should be. What is the maker? Has it helped?
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Make sure the oxygen concentrator provides enough pressure to compensate for the mhbot chamber. Otherwise you will have no flow.

If your concentrator has an airflow indicator you can verify this easily.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Yes, as S13 said...

There are 2 main things to consider when buying an oxygen concentrator to be used with a mHBOT chamber...

1. The PSI (pounds per square inch) must be high enough to compensate for the backpressure of the chamber. If it is too low, it will not only produce less 02 flow, but will damage the concentrator. The oxygen concentrator that I recommend is 20 PSI (well above the 4.2 PSI backpressure of the chamber).

2. The LPM (liters per minute) must be adequate. This is important, because when breathing 02 through a mask, the flow must be high enough to push the exhaled carbon dioxide out of the mask vents. The oxygen concentrator I recommend is 10 LPM.

A respiratory therapist I have spoken to recommends using a mask that covers both your nose and mouth, as both the nasal cannula and nose mask deliver less oxygen...

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Please remember, Phoiph's experience is rather unique. Many have done far more than 40 treatments, and not gotten seemingly completely well. Just because hbot both hardchamber and mild is a very helpful adjunct treatment, please don't take an N of 1 and Phoiph's "opinion" which can be stated in such a way it seems to be fact, that buying a chamber and using it daily will get you well over time. It is helpful, but it is extremely rare that on its own, it brings people to full functionality.
Phoiph
Member # 41238

I appreciate Oxygenbabe's point.

Again, I believe my success (and what makes me a "N of 1") was/is due to the length of time I have done mHBOT daily consistently (along with the diet and increasing activity).

As I have said, I have not found any mHBOT users yet who have also used mHBOT in this same way, as many have given up after 40 or so treatments (as I almost did), or have used it longer but only inconsistently over time.

All I can do is post my observation and "N of 1" experience, which I believe I am obligated to do.

In my opinion, what would be really helpful information for all, would be for someone who already has a chamber and is very knowledgeable (i.e., Oxygenbabe) to commit to a consistent, 1 hour daily protocol for at least 6 months, and give us a progress report at that time...

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

You're incorrect. I personally know someone who has done it daily for about 10 years. Is helpful--but hasn't stopped all kinds of health problems, surgeries, etc, due to lyme sequalae as well as other problems.

"I believe" is belief.
I think you are very lucky--and more power to you--and most people are not going to have your response just doing mild hbot.
It's a great adjunctive therapy, as I always say.

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

As to me, Phoiph, I got sicker and could not function when I tried to do it even 3-4 times a week. I cannot do a lot. I have a feeling it starts stimulating yeast, but I can't say that for sure. But it felt like yeast symptoms, including low grade fevers, itchy, foggy, etc. Very yeasty. No, not like a lyme herx which I know very well from doing deep dive. Deep dive was highly effective but it's prohibitively expensive and I do not think it's healthy to do longterm even though I know a few who have.

Whatever the reason, I was able to tolerate about twice a week mhbot without losing function--and that twice a week was very helpful. I had to find the happy medium. Then eventually I went to twice a month. I would never do it every day, I'd end up losing all my gains.

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Oh, and I should add, unlike you--I had an immediate (same day) response to both deep dive and mild hbot. Different--deep dive killed off a lot, caused herxes, and gave much more energy, and started healing some other problems (but after stopping slowly lost most of those gains tho I always credit deep dive for saving my life initially).

Mild...when I finally got to do it after 18 months of no doing any hbot, one hour, and my buzzing toxicity was gone. I felt much better. So I always had an immediate response. I'm very sensitive, though.

As I said, it's a nice and powerful adjunctive therapy. And it's good that chambers are fairly reaosnable now--with leasing programs, and craigslist--BUT it's very YMMV (your mileage may vary). So dont hold out too much hope for that single-approach magic cure, folks. Mostly, chronic tbd is not that way.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Oxygenbabe...

Thanks for sharing your information; it is really valuable. I believe the more we post details about our experience with mHBOT, the more realistic and accurate picture we can get about how it works across personal conditions, protocols, etc.

So, to recap:

-You felt better (less toxic "buzzy" feeling) with your first mHBOT dive after an 18 month break from HBOT, and felt benefit by doing dives twice a week, but couldn't tolerate more frequent sessions, or you would feel more ill.

-In my case, I felt no positive effect for over 50 daily mHBOT dives, but then with continual daily dives, experienced a gradual 2 step forward, one step back pattern that resulted in return of wellness over time.

-Variations in our experience/background include the fact that you had previously done HBOT but stopped 18 months before starting mHBOT, and I had previously done antibiotics, but stopped 5 years before starting mHBOT. Another variable, of course, is the different protocol we used (daily vs.twice/week).

-You also mention knowing someone who has done daily dives for 10 years, for whom it has been "helpful", but they still experience health issues.

-I am currently in contact with several people who have recently started regular mHBOT, and, although their early responses are up and down, they are reporting some very positive changes.

The truth is, nobody knows how many people will reach the level of wellness that I have with mHBOT, and I appreciate that you don't want people to believe that everyone will have the same results, or that this is a "magic cure" for everyone. I have never claimed that, or wanted to raise false hopes, either.

That said, I also don't believe I was just "very lucky", nor do I believe I am completely unique. I believe there is potential here for other people to get well also, and that potential needs to be explored.

We simply don't have enough data to draw conclusions, and unfortunately, with oxygen being un-patentable, we can't hold our collective breath waiting for more research from "Big Pharma". So, like everything else with Lyme, we're left to figure it out ourselves.

I trust that with more people committing to regular mHBOT treatments and reporting their results, a clearer picture will begin to emerge over time...

This topic comprises 59 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  57  58  59   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement