LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 41)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  56  57  58   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kgg,

I did decide to reduce my dive after all as my fatigue and weakness just wasn’t subsiding with time off. Thank you so much!!! I think it’s working!

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kaibyrd...I see you are from Northern VA. Just for your information, there is a chiropractor around Herndon, VA that has a Vitaeris chamber in his office. I believe it is very reasonable. If you are interested, you can PM me for more info. Plus I don't remember his name off the top of my head.
Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Digby, I really appreciate that, but I have a chamber. It’s a Summit to Sea so I’m just wondering what’s so bad about that company and if I should get the extended warrently.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kaibyrd, it is my understanding that the reason why people don't like them is the zippers breaking and window seals going. One person on the FB group that had a malfunction with the chamber said they were a great company as far as working with him to get it fixed. Meanwhile, it is not a speedy process.

My husband is one to not buy extended warranties. He is old school. Why should he buy it? Is it not going to last? But we did buy one on an electronic product for my son once and it was totally worth it. How much is the extended warranty? And what would it cover? Can you afford it?

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Thanks kgg that helps to know there have been those issues.

Do you know if the problems occurred when the chambers were relatively new?

--------------------
KB

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seemed like that was the case. But my total recall on these kind of things is sketchy. I did not think it was an older one or a used one.
Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Ok, I think I’ll get the extended warranty just to be safe. Thanks so much, kgg!

BTW how are you doing these days?

--------------------
KB

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

So...nightmares...is it normal to have very realistic ones? Is there some way I can stop them? If I never have another like last night’s, I may not loose my mind. It was bad.

--------------------
KB

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carbokitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew! I'm up to page 30 of this forum. Only 11 pages to go and be caught up. LOL

Carbokitty

Posts: 118 | From WI | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Carbokitty, are you going to read The Oxygen Revolution too? You’re getting there!

--------------------
KB

kgg
Member # 5867

Kaibyrd, I don't get nightmares. I can count on one hand how many I have had in my life. My son gets them a lot. Thankfully, they don't cause him angst. He finds them entertaining.

Are you using Benadryl to sleep by any chance? I know someone who used to get terrible nightmares and she narrowed it down to Benadryl.

Hopefully someone who gets them will chime in.

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carbokitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kaibyrd~

Yes, thanks for the reminder! I have The Oxygen Revolution but haven't started yet. (I will start as soon as I finish the book I'm reading for pleasure [Wink]

I figure actual users will educate me more about the pros, cons, and actually healing experienced.

Hopefully will get to the book this weekend.

Carbokitty

Posts: 118 | From WI | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Kaibyrd, I don't get nightmares. I can count on one hand how many I have had in my life. My son gets them a lot. Thankfully, they don't cause him angst. He finds them entertaining.

Are you using Benadryl to sleep by any chance? I know someone who used to get terrible nightmares and she narrowed it down to Benadryl.

Hopefully someone who gets them will chime in.

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Kgg no I haven’t taken a Benadryl in years. Thankfully the nightmares didn’t recur last night. I slept pretty good actually except for one wake up during the night. I really hope this type of nightmare never comes back. It was not entertaining at all! Stupid brain. 🤨

Carbokitty, I wish I had known about this thread before I started diving. Soo much info here!

--------------------
KB

Oaktree
Member # 51792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oaktree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI All,

I have been slowly increasing my time in chamber without wearing 02 mask, (o2 flowing in) am up to 35 mins now and seem to be tolerating it

I do have a Summit to Sea Shallow Dive. It is an older model, probably an '09. I got it used with about 600 dives on it. And the zipper is starting to leak. It is leaking at the seated position, and I have noticed some thread fraying and there is a slight blister at the top of the rubber seat. I still am reaching full pressure, but it hisses.

In this case:

How much does it cost to replace zipper?

Are there other people who do this, or best to send back to Summit to Sea?

Any idea of how common this is and if this can be used for a while longer without this becoming a more significant problem?

Posts: 8 | From East Coast | Registered: Jan 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Oaktree, I had a Vitaeris from OxyHealth that was a 2006 chamber. The zipper went when it was about 10 or 11 years old. They quoted me $1500 to replace the zipper. I forget now but some more to check and make sure the window seals were good while they had the chamber. Plus the shipping. My plan was to send them the chamber and they would repair it. All of that to say, please contact Summit to Sea.

Meanwhile, you really don't want to be using it. If it blows while inflated it could damage you ear drums. At least that is what I understand could happen.

I don't know if Phioph knows of someone who repairs chambers. Hopefully if she does she will be in contact with you.

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Kaibird~

Yes, its fascinating! Reading from 2013 to the present, its like reading a book. And now, for me, its like I'm really getting to the good part. In 2018, I am starting to read about more and more people getting well and getting on with their lives I'm so happy for so many of you and feel encouraged and inspired!

I arrived here in pretty good shape, having made great strides in my health since 2011. I'm generally pretty functional. My big remaining issue is my GI tract (diarrhea/loose stools) and food sensitivities that keep me from being able to be more social, travel more and in general live my best life That's what I'm looking at this therapy for. I've tried almost everything else (except having my dental implants removed and cavitation addressed).

Thanks so much for everyone on here who has shared their journeys for those of us coming up behind you. I am grateful!

Carbokitty

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Completely agree Carbokitty!

--------------------
KB

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Oaktree, I received a cleaning solution for the zipper and a lubrication oil for the seated area for my new Summit to Sea and was advised to zip in a careful way, never pulling out and making sure the teeth were aligned well before zipping so if the previous owner of your chamber didn’t know to do this, they may have damaged the zipper. Do contact Summit to Sea and let them know. I can give you the name and number of the lady I worked with while purchasing.

--------------------
KB

susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph - I sent you a PM.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
susank~

Thanks, I replied...

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

HW88~

I'm fairly new to this group and don't have a chamber yet. I've done 10 dives at a local clinic. I've just read the 40 pages of history (and its amazing and wonderful and such a wealth of information and trial and error and thank you everyone!).

I was struck and concerned about your struggles and how similar they are to mine, or some of mine in the past. I know one or two people mentioned mold and I just feel I wanted to bring that possibility up to you again if you haven't looked into it. I think you moved during your time in this forum and diving, right? And then you reduced your klonopin and then got off antibiotics.

It took me forever (years!) to identify mold as the true source of my health (mental and physical) issues. No one else in the house (my parents and then later ours) was having any sort of problem. And you couldn't smell it. It wasn't like there was a moldy/musty odor.

After a year of treating Lyme, I got sicker and sicker. First it was my parents condo in Florida. When I would go back home, I'd be ok. But then I wasn't. Suicidal and not sleeping AT ALL (like you), I eventually starting learning about mold. I hired an environmental engineer to come test (air and dust). He did his master's thesis on mold in wet damaged buildings. He explained that the levels in our basement and one room on the mail level would not bother "normal" people, but the 24% of us without the gene to identify and detox mold, it makes us very sick.

For 6 months I lived on the 3rd floor that he deemed "safe" for me, coming downstairs to use the bathroom and to leave the house. My husband remediated. I eventually detoxed with binders and fresh air.

I've wondered what happens when the oxygen concentrator is used in a house with mold. Does it concentrate the mold exposure to the person using it?

I am currently in southwest Florida where mold is rampant. For that reason, I am not getting any mHBOT at any local clinics because of my fear that there could be mold in the environment where the chamber is.

Anyway, this may or may not be your story. After reading everything, I just couldn't let it go without sharing my story and my concerns. I know one of the members of this forum also discovered after mHBOT that mold was part of his story too and pursued mold avoidance. the best remedy for mold sensitivity and exposure.

Please be well and consider this if you haven't already.

Carbokitty

kgg
Member # 5867

Good info Carbokitty. I was concerned about my concentrator. Because our last house had mold in the laundry room. Someone (I wish I had saved the post!) on the FB group had said that the filters should be enough to prevent that. What I recently did with mine, (since the warranty has long expired) is open it, dust it and change two filters in it. I wish that I had the $$ to buy a new concentrator, but I don't. It is working fine. So that will have to do for now. I still see improvements from diving, so I am assuming I am OK.
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

I want to add my symptoms when I'm in/exposed to mold: my "big" 4 are severe insomnia, diarrhea, anxiety and depression, which can be severe at times. Then crying, heart pounding, burning tongue, brain fog, head pressure, twitching, itching, blurred vision.

Again, in case this helps anyone.

Keep diving!

Carbokitty

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi all~
I'm reading the book now, The Oxygen Revolution. A couple things so far have stood out to me and have so far helped me understand how this therapy might have application to me.

"Accidents that result in oxygen deprivation including...exposure to neurotoxins" (mold and Lyme)

"the understanding is that we are simply using pressure and oxygen, two entities to which all living organisms are sensitive, to manipulate gene expression and suppression in or to prompt the body to heal itself"

"HBOT specifically treats inflammation, the common secondary injury process as a result of all acute and chronic conditions"

As i've struggled with "do I have Lyme/don't I have Lyme", so far these three lines have helped me understand that, with regard to using mHBOT, it doesn't matter. And it doesn't matter because, a) I know for sure I have been exposed to mold (neurotoxin) (and still have mold/mycotoxins in my system), b) I like the thought of manipulating gene expression to prompt the body to heal itself and c) it treats inflammation, as result of ALL chronic conditions.

I know we all read the book. Just wanted to reinforce for myself why I might want to do it and what it is doing.

Have a great day!
Carbokitty

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carbokitty, great quotes, we can all benefit from being reminded of the deeper processes that occur with mHBOT.
Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom f
Member # 51089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom f     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tom f:
I'm 5 months in with a 20% improvement. Great improvement, but I seem to have plateaued for almost 3 months - while treating at 5.2 psi and utilizing all 92%+ oxygen. I have decided to go on the Dr. Wheldon combination antibiotic protocol with Hbot to eliminate chlamydia pneumoniae, borrelia or borrelia-like organisms. I am no longer intolerant to antibiotics as I was previous to Hbot.

7 months 60% improvement. I'm having rapid improvement since adding the Wheldon antibiotic protocol. I'm having severe burning and pain when adding the bacterialcidal antibiotic in the protocol. I'm having zero immune response with improvement as if my immune system cannot see the pathogen.

There is no way I could tolerate the antibiotics without hyperbaric oxygen, sometimes I have to go the the chamber an additional 45 minutes to tolerate/relieve the pain/burning. I have been ill since the 90's

Posts: 16 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Tom F, I so happy for you that you are seeing improvements! Long may they continue. Since you have been sick so long, it must be incredibly encouraging.
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Question for Newtowne owners:

What chamber do you have?

I talked with Phoiph and was looking at the Seal 27. I just got off the phone with the owner and she was saying that for self use, owners are reporting that the Class 4 is easier to use.

My brain fog may be keeping me from understanding. Something about the silicon gasket being a problem with the Seal. But the Seal is more "handmade" and more labor intensive to make and is more expensive.

Just wondering what your experience is. (I will ask on the FB group too).

Thanks!

Carbokitty

kgg
Member # 5867

I think I answered this on FB. But I have the 34" Newtowne chamber. I have been told it is a Class 4. It has three zippers to close. I did not find it any more difficult than the Vitaeris chamber with the gaskets between the zippers.

I get in the chamber and pull all three zippers halfway closed. Then recline and finish zipping.

The hardest thing is getting the first/outside zipper closed. I have arthritis in my fingers and weak arms. Marie at Newtowne suggested using a paint stirrer stick to finish closing it where my fingers could not reach. Works like a charm.

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Thanks kgg.

Carbokitty

threeputt
Member # 10859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for threeputt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I am new to this forum. Been picking up a wealth of knowledge from it. Up to page 27 and hope to be finishing it up soon.
I am strongly considering purchasing a used OxyHealth chamber for use by my wife and myself. I will probably be purchasing a used chamber from a private party. Can anyone suggest what questions to ask of the buyer before making the purchase? He says that it is in good working order. The buyer has provided me with a description of the chamber that was included with it when he purchased it from Oxyhealth. He purchased it used from them. I have the serial number of it. Is there a way to tell the approximate age from the serial number? I want to purchase a chamber that is not too old. Thanks

Posts: 3 | From Northern California | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Threeputt, If you have the serial number, just call Oxyhealth and ask for Jeff. He will let you know the age and if it has been in for any repairs. Beyond that Phoiph is an awesome resource to help in buying a chamber. I would recommend that you PM her with your questions.
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi everybody~

I'm still in the process of sorting out the purchase of a chamber. I am currently leaning toward the Class 4, 34'.

I've never seen this mentioned here and wondered if anyone ever had any issues. We have 2 cats. Any issues with the chamber material puncturing from cat's claws?

I have just returned from almost 3 months in FL where I was exposed to mold in our condo and possibly red tide on the beach (because I would become very ill after walking on the beach in bare feet). It was so lovely, warm and sunny there but so toxic for me.

I found a place to get hyperbaric treatments while I was there and had a few, which helped me get through the last month.

Now that I have returned home, I started back at the local clinic. I will get treatments until I order and receive my at home chamber.

I am still unsure about how much my health will improve with treatments. My primary issue is diarrhea and food sensitivities. I have hope after reading all of your stories and The Oxygen Revolution. It makes sense to me that the mHBOT could have an impact and heal whatever isn't working-but I continue to read about others who "haven't yet healed" their digestive issues.

Any hope you can share with me with that regard would be helpful. I am otherwise physically active, working part time and was sleeping well before this recent mold and toxin exposure. My gut and digestive issues all started with mold exposure and then got worse with mold treatment. If the problem is because I am harboring mold in my system, I think mHBOT, by opening up the detoxification pathways, could help me heal beyond where I am. Thoughts?

Wishing you all well ~ and I'd love to hear updates! This forum has been so quiet lately!

carbokitty

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Hi Carbokitty,

I have a couple cats but they won’t come near the chamber because of the noise. I don’t think they would be able to scratch it even if they wanted to, It’s a very tough material but keep an eye on yours to see their reaction to it, just to be safe.

I can’t speak to the rest of your questions as I’m only a couple months in and in the middle of the “worst before better” phase.

--------------------
KB

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All: It has been awhile since I posted. I passed the 2 year mark of daily dives on Jan. 29th. I am doing overall- a lot better. This is something you have to be religious about with regard to just diving daily and trusting in time, you will heal.

I have a question. Does anyone know of any resources that would help a parent with regard to potentially using mhbot with PANDAS. She has three children and a husband with it. She is in the medical profession and feels she constantly exposes them to strep and she believes and her husband may also expose them. Thus, she feels they may be exposed a lot and would like something proactive. She was thrilled to see my experience with the chamber for Lyme and thought with the two discussed heavily in the research together from what she told me, it might be good for PANDAS. I just do not want her to be misguided. Thank you all -

[ 03-06-2019, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: willbeatthis ]

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Thanks Kaibyrd. I'll keep an eye on them!

Congratulations, willbeatthis! That's wonderful on your progress and getting past 2 years!

I cannot answer your question, however. Sorry.
Carbokitty

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bless you, Carbokitty! I cannot answer your questions about mold either. I can tell you that it has been a godsend all the way around for me. I do still have food sensitivities etc however, my gut is generally good. I followed the GAPS diet for quite sometime to heal my gut - do you know anything about that. It works to heal your gut and diminish sensitivities and the like. I would think in your situation, it could really help you. It would just strengthen your gut where the bulk of our immune system is housed. That combined with mhbot- I cannot imagine it could do anything but help. I would rather Digby or Phioph speak on any expertise they have with this question. Phioph also worked on gut healing. I think it is integral to success. God bless.
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi willbeatthis~

My response went into cyberspace. Argh!
Thank you for the suggestion of GAPS. I am so glad you have found benefit.
I did GAPS in 2014/15. I had gone all the way through to full GAPS and was thriving and enjoying a variety of foods. Then I saw a Shoemaker trained mold specialist and started on the binder to remove mold from my body. I crashed an *lost* a ton of foods, including all FODMAPS and ferments. I had been making that lovely 24 hour yogurt and sour cream and my own sauerkraut. I can no longer tolerate any of those.
I was hoping stopping the binder would cause everything to go back to the way it was, but sadly, that hasn't been the case.
Still searching, still trying. One step in front of the other.

My best to all,
Carbokitty

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Bless you, Carbokitty. Hang in there.... I think we have to refuse to give up and keep moving forward.

I have been having trouble of late too with foods and recently tried a carnivore (meat) heavy keto plan - way less to no veggies and that seems to do best for me. It is so weird how our bodies shift with all this. I plan to take juice plus for phyto nutrients. I tried recently to add veggies bag in and sweelling and back pain came right back on the scene. [Frown] Oh well. I don't love veggies that much!!

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

willbeatthis~

Sorry to hear about your challenges! I'm glad you've got an alternative to get your nutrients.

Thanks for the support.

Carbokitty

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

I'm kind of freaked out. I just had a treatment at the clinic where I've been getting mHBOT. My husband came to see what it looked like and to listen to the compressor and concentrator. I didn't realize it but the compressor was in the basement.

It's HUGE! Are they all that big? Like between a whole house AC unit and a refrigerator. We have to rethink getting a chamber for home. I don't think we could get it through the door way to the upstairs and up the stairs.

The other option in the basement-but we've had mold there and I wouldn't want to be using the basement air to compress the chamber.

Where do you have your's? Any issues with the size of the compressor? (in all the pictures I've seen on the company's site, there's not picture of the compressor. Just looks like all you have to do is fit the chamber and the concentrator in your room).

Thanks! Be well,

Carbokitty

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

No, mine is small. It is heavy, about 45 lbs, but it’s about half the size of a mini fridge.

--------------------
KB

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Great-thanks Kaibyrd.
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

You’re welcome Carbokitty. 😊

--------------------
KB

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Carbo: Mine is small too - just heavy - I have an oxyhealth solace and NewLife Intensity10 Air Sep. I was fortunate and found both used (with Phioph's approval). Both are heavy but take up little space in a spare bedroom. Best money I ever spent. Already have money saved for a new set up when I need it. Keep at this. You will be pleased. Now remember, much like phioph and other long-termers - I had my ups and downs -- this thing really works and now it all seems to have settled and I keep improving. I think you have to set in your mind that this is a daily routine and hang with it come what may. This board is great when you go through rough patches. Hang in there [Smile]
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

I’m in a very rough patch. 😕 I’m only 2 months in but it just keeps getting harder. Fatigue has been my worst symptom from the beginning but brain fog and trouble sleeping were not far behind. When I first started, my sleep actually improved as well as digestive issues but about a month in fatigue got worse. Now the fatigue is way worse! I’m talking not able to get out of bed some days and even missing a couple days of diving worse. I’m also in a lot more pain. To top that off, the sleep and digestive issues have gone back to where they were before I started HBOT. So it’s been more like one step forward and 4 steps back! I’m really getting down and I’m so tired I don’t even care if I’m eating right any more because I just don’t have the energy to cook anything. When will I start improving instead of getting worse?

--------------------
KB

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Shoot, KB. I am, of course, not an expert. And perhaps I am simply enjoying that honeymoon period. 3 days back to consecutive dives at the clinic I started with in late Dec, I am again sleeping well and my stools have become formed (sorry for TMI). I am/was hopeful that those are the things mHBOT would resolve.

I've read the whole forum but don't remember what you said about frequency and time in the chamber each time. However, I feel as if when these issues have come up before, others have asked those questions. And that the issue could be either too much oxygen (oxygen toxicity) or too much die off for the body to manage. So with both of those, I am wondering if the experts (Phoiph and others) might suggest taking a break for a few days, not using the mask for awhile, or reducing the length of your dives. If either of those is the issue, I would think those shifts might resolve it.

Because of my own person history with mold exposure, that's always my red flag. 2 months in, taking air in from your environment-is there any possibility there could be mold in that environment? There's a test called ERMI where you can collect dust samples around the house and send in for testing. We had an environmental engineer in who tested air and dust on all 3 floors of our home-indicating that there were high enough levels of mold in the basement and in one room on the main floor which required remediation to make it "safe" for me. The 3rd floor was already safe. That was 2014. I seem to be fine in our home today-however, I will be putting my chamber on the 3rd floor just to be extra safe. Again, my issue-and want to share because it can easily be overlooked. We never smelled any mold.

Be well everyone.

Carbokitty

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Kaibyrd, please detail your protocol with the HBOT.
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kaibyrd,
You are at the place all of us have crossed. My fist month was good and then the next 3 were pure hell. I just kept treating, detoxing, testing and try to eat as nutritious as possible. You are at the point your body is going through many adjustments with the new oxygen coming on board. Press on and one day things will shift and you will have a few good hours and then that will grow longer and more often. However, at 8 months in I had a 3-4 week setback where I was exhausted and in pain. I just kept treating and soon emerged even stronger.
You aren’t even a quarter through the recommended treatment of 2 years of daily treating. Stay positive, you will emerge.

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willbeatthis
Congratulations on making it past the ups and downs. Now it just keeps getting better and then one day you walk away from daily dives and start living life without being tired to treating. It’s so great to read that others are sticking with the treatments even though you hit the bumps.

I am still doing fantastic, in my 3rd year back at work and having so much fun.

I am flying my brother in to do treatments in 2 weeks. He has diabetic neuropathy and had a kidney removed in Nov2018. Many of you know I’m pretty hardcore when I treated and he feels the same about trying this therapy to help get feeling back in his legs and feet. He has not recovered like he thought he might after removing his cancer and kidney so I feel like it’s time for mHBOT. I will keep you all posted and would love to hear of others that have treated.

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Carbokitty, I think it really is just part of the process as Willbeatthis says. I’m just having a hard time dealing with it.

Digby I started diving Jan 7 and worked up to the full hour with O2 Feb 4. I’ve been at 1 hour a day since then except for missing 1 day last week and 1 day this week.

Thanks Peimomma. That is encouraging. I just have to get through the next few months. Yes please keep us posted on your brother.

--------------------
KB

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Kaibyrd, You might try cutting your time to 1/2 hour or alternatively, you could run the O2 in the chamber but not wear the mask. Either way it will be in your best interest to back off a bit. That is usually a better option than skipping days, though you could try every other day if the above doesn't help. Hang in there... it's worth it!
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Ok I’ll try the O2 option and see if that helps. Thanks Digby!

--------------------
KB

kgg
Member # 5867

I second Digby's advise, fwiw. That is what I would do. Hopefully, it will make it more tolerable. And truly, you are not missing any benefit.
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Thank you kgg. That’s reassuring. I don’t want to have to start over.

--------------------
KB

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hang in there Kaibyrd - Yes, Peimomma and I -- and all of us long-termers- went through this. Like Peimomma, I have treated this like a job - so much so that my two year mark passed and I didn't realize it. Diving is part of my day, period. I actually look forward to it. YOU WILL GET THERE. I remember being where you are and it is disheartening and sometimes even scary. Take a deep breath and you sure got expert advice from Digby and we all back it up.

If I haven't said it lately, THANK YOU! Thank you, Phoiph, Peimomma, Digby, KGG et al. You all are ANGELS on the Earth!! Thank you for helping to guide me. I will be checking in more frequently now as I am able as this is important to me to extend to others what was extended to me!

ROCK ON PEIMOMMA! You are a true ROCK STAR! I love that you are flying your brother in. I cannot wait to hear how he does. Please keep me/us posted.

So- I have one question - EARS! I have a cold now that went into a chest infection (on Augmentin right now), and for the last 3 days I could not dive. I am losing ground but I expected that. However, I really would like to be able to dive. I have tried musinex D -- but no Afrin as of yet. Do I need to just do it? My head is not clogged nor my nose- just these ears and it is keeping me from diving (very sad face). Any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Just to tell you what else I am doing - Musinex D, saline nasal spray (multiple times a day), nasocort (1 spray) (not ideal but I'm pretty desperate) and a non steroid script nasal spray (1 spray).

Now on Augmentin for heavy chest cough, sick a week and bad colored phlegm. (sorry TMI probably)

I am drinking my guts out of water - had a bladder infec. before the cold was on macrobid for that (that has resolved). Thankfully. I just want to be able to dive again soon.

When I get a sinus infection (did not go to the Allergist this time - went to primary care) he always had me use Afrin for 3-5 days with these other sprays until the abx kicked in. I usually have a headache but didn't with this- just a bunch of ear bubbles. I know Afrin can lead to rebound inflammation so I wanted to be careful on this.

I'll use it if it is wise. Thanks all!

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

I would not go in and I say this because I had a very scary incident when it was just my ears. I got myself through the compression and thought things were fine until the decompression. Holy cow, the chamber started spinning, my ears were hurting and I felt like I was going to pass out or puke. I finally got decompressed but I had to crawl out of the chamber and lay on the floor for 20-30 minutes as the room continued to spin.
I think it was the fluid in my ears that caused the vertigo so severely. If you are going to chance it, please make sure someone is near if you run into trouble like I did.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Willbeatthis... Please take a break from diving until you heal from this. You probably aren't losing ground but it sure could feel that way when you are so sick.

I firmly believe (this is just my opinion) that the effects of mHBOT are cumulative and after a certain point the healthy changes become part of your biochemistry (immune system, antioxidant production, neurogenesis, etc.).

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that, Digby!

Willbeatthis...as we discussed via email...you have been doing mHBOT for long enough now that the gains have been assimilated. It just feels like a relapse when you are sick with a "normal" illness like a cold or flu.

I would wager that you will come out of this even better than before you became ill with the congestion, etc.

I personally would not use nasal sprays, etc., and would just let the body clear itself at its own pace.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi All: You are amazing.... I have been taking a break! Thank you for making me feel much better about it.

I went to the allergist yesterday and he scoped me to see if I needed the abx and yes, I do unfortunately. He also said I had to get my passages open to get the stuff out for the antibiotics to work. So I have done what he said. I know have sinusitis and laryngitis. I have never had to be quiet like this.... Anything to heal [Smile]

It sure is good to hear that Mhbot is cumulative and we keep benefiting if we need to take a break.

Honestly, I am not sure what would do without this team!

Thanks for the email, Phioph, your sound advice Digby and Peimomma (glad you recovered from that scary experience [Frown] ) and sharing it so no one else (myself included tries). Thank you all for your support!!

XO

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Gang: Just to give you an update- I have stayed out of the chamber, still out. When I did go in thinking I was well - it set my sinuses back. So I think I have to be GOOD and well.

This is kind of good news I think... Well, so I am on my third abx for this sinus infection and (augmentin, ceftin and now doxy) I have had hardly no reaction to the doxy. I can tell you that when I was first bitten and given doxy - I could not take it I herxed so bad. I didn't know enough then and perhaps if I had pushed through it, would I be here now, who knows.

Positive here -- the chambers work. Just like Phoiph and everyone else that has gone before us say -- you have to treat it like a daily to do and I imagine if you have gotten this far you are easing into it as Phoiph advises.

On another note, I was told to do the afrin by by allergist so I did for a bit but pulled myself off. I was getting rebound congestion -- and to solve this I found this amazing little machine. It is called Mypurmist - a handheld steam inhaler . The thing is magic. All the drugs in the world couldn't get me this clear. If you have allergies and your sinuses get swollen and blocked -- this may well help you. They are out of Canada and you can find them at mypurmist.com. I have no financial ties in any way. They are around $150.00 but I had a gift card from Target and that is where I got it. Best gift ever next to the chamber!

Now there are two versions - the first version is one that you can load with water yourself. The other you are supposed to use their little water ampules to make it 99.99 germ, mold free. I tend to want to use their ampules - worth it to me but the expense is a good bit. I read a trick on a review and I will share it with anyone that maybe interested.

Thanks all ... for your support! Kaibird and Carbokitty - how is it going?

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Hi Willbeatthis! Thanks for asking about me.

Taking off the mask has helped some. I had a couple days of feeling better last week and almost felt like I had more mental clarity.

I’ve taken a bit of a step back this weekend though so still struggling.

I’ll give it a few more days to see if the clarity/feeling better comes back, if not I may need to reduce my time in dive as well.

I hope your sinuses heal completely very soon. I can feel popping in my sinuses at times when coming out of a dive so I can see where it’s important they be clear too.

--------------------
KB

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Kaibyrd~

It's great that you have experienced some "windows" of improvement.

Just a reminder though...this is a 2 step forward, 1 step back process, not a smooth upward trajectory.

Having fluctuations in how you feel is part of the process. I wouldn't reduce time in the chamber if the only reason is because you don't see that window in a few days, because that may or may not happen again for awhile.

To put it in perspective, you have to look at progress over the course of several months, not days or weeks.

You have reduced your dosage by taking off the mask and allowing the 02 to flow in, so if things are tolerable, I personally would stay at that level for awhile, then try to move forward again as soon as you are able.

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Hi Phoiph,

I’ll keep at it then. I just feel like it’s been too much of a decline with the small window this week allowing me to function enough that I was eating right again but now I’m back to where I was before I took the mask off.

--------------------
KB

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi willbeatthis, kaibyrd and everyone!
Thanks for asking about me willbeatthis!

First, I am getting a message that this site is not secure. Then I couldn't log on and my password had been changed. Anyone else?

I am doing well! I am still diving at a local clinic. At my husband's suggestion, I have delayed purchasing a chamber until I get back home from being gone for 2 weeks, the first 2 weeks of April.

Since my return from the mold-ridden and red tide laden southwest Florida, I have in general, felt better. I started diving 40 mins each about 3-4 days/week at the clinic (working around my part-time work schedule and their availability).

Very interesting that by the 2nd day back and 2nd day of dives, my stools started to form and my gut calmed down (not waking me at 2/3/4am). I am beyond thrilled!

I know I am still in the honeymoon period (and I am enjoying it and staying present to it to the max!). I am so grateful. And as I said to someone on Friday, I have hope again for the first time in 8 years.

I am planning to buy the 34" Class 4 Newtowne. My husband prefers getting a chamber with a warranty and the cost is attractive (vs what I might be able to get currently used). I will call her this week and set it up to arrive April 12 or later. I'm excited.

One question I had-everyone seems to track their dives. When did you start counting? First dive ever? Once you got up to 60 mins? Just curious.
I'll have to go back and count again but I'm probably around 26 if you count all dives.

Although I've been doing 40 min dives with oxygen, this week I am going to start 60 mins and see how that goes. I did 2 60 min dives in Florida and didn't think I felt good but I was still in a toxic environment and its hard to know if I got extra "hits" from toxins those days or if the dives were the issue.

Thanks so much for everyone in this community. You have given me such strength, courage and of course information to be able to possibly move forward and improve my health in a way I haven't been able to up until now.

My best to you,

carbokitty

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi carbokitty~

It's good to hear that you are already noticing improvements!

I would keep a log of all of your dives, including dates, duration, etc., but if you are trying to compare your progress to others, I would begin to count when both people began to dive daily at the full hour, at full pressure.

The other factor to consider is if someone is on antibiotics. In my experience, one should also keep a log of all dives, but for comparison purposes, begin to count after weaning off of antibiotics.

Congrats in advance on your chamber!

Also, I have not had the same experience logging in to the site.

[ 03-25-2019, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Phoiph ]

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Willbeatthis~

I vote "yes" for mHBOT for PANDAS, as it is an auto-immune type disorder.

I would caution them to proceeding very slowly in the beginning, and of course consider other factors, such as diet, limiting toxic exposures, etc.

kgg
Member # 5867

So good to read people's updates. Willbeathis, I have recently purchased just a facial steamer with a nose adapter from Amazon that I found was incredibly helpful to open up my sinuses. Now I just need to be regular in using it.
KarenLyme791
Member # 51861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenLyme791     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
I jsut got a Summit to Sea Grand Dive and am new to this. I have side effects from chronic Lyme disease and am hoping it will really help me. I was told about your forum and thought I would introduce myself.

I also have some questions. I was wondering if you have a busy day is it ok to miss a day or would it be better to get a session in and just get less sleep that night?

I also wondered if you dive 5 days a week or 7?

Right now I am doing 40 minutes sessions with the oxygen flowing into the mhbot machine but i do not keep the mask on the whole time. i put it on for 15 minute periods and then let it rest in there for 15 minutes.

Thanks,
Karen

Posts: 5 | From Villanova, Pa | Registered: Mar 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

HI, Karen! Phioph I am sure will be responding. Til then I can answer one of your questions. I find that the later in the day I dive the worse my insomnia is. So I dive first thing in the morning. If I did not get a dive in, then I wait until the next day.

For most of us, we attempt to dive daily. Phioph encourages the consistency of diving daily, except when we are first starting. Once you get up to a full hour with oxygen, you want to be regular.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Welcome to the group Karen. Ditto to what kgg said. Consistent daily diving and ramping your way up like you are doing is best.

If you have the time and mental clarity, I strongly suggest that you work your way through reading this very long thread. You will learn a lot, plus it's encouraging for those times you don't see the improvement. Happy Diving!

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Welcome Karen! I echo those above. I just started in January.

At first I felt the dive made me sleepy, then there was a time where I had to dive in the morning because diving late would keep me awake. Now it really doesn’t matter and I dive whenever I can get it in a busy day. I don’t have those very often so mostly I dive in the afternoons.

--------------------
KB

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Welcome Karen!
I too just started in January. I haven't purchased my chamber for home yet.
I was very energized at first with the dives and had to avoid evening dives. Now I'm sleepy afterwards and just want to nap! Now I can't imagine doing a dive in the morning. I'm sure it will switch again.

Wishing you much healing on your journey.

Carbokitty

This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  56  57  58   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement