LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 49)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  56  57  58   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be careful about using Ozone to disinfect the chamber. At higher concentrations it will rapidly crosslink (degrade) the materials including the foam in the mattress. As Phoiph said, diluted H2O2 is your best bet.
Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by Bruce at Summit to Sea that the material they use will not allow mold to grow on it. Contact your chamber manufacturer and ask them if that’s the case with yours.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hominahomina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is everyone cleaning their masks and is there a way to disinfect the tubing
Thanks

Posts: 261 | From California | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carbokitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all~

I used hydrogen peroxide. Not sure about the tubing, whether there might be anything in there. Waiting for the filter to the concentrator to dry and then I will start diving.

I don't have an ozone generator so I wasn't going to try that anyway.

I appreciate your input and support.

Carbokitty

Posts: 118 | From WI | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hominahomina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an informative podcast on Covid-19 with Dr Leo Galland
Parts 1 and 2
https://drhoffman.com/podcast-2/
The best I have heard so far

Posts: 261 | From California | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carbokitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all~

I just wanted to give an update (as well as say hi to everyone as we shelter in place/practice social distancing)

I've done 3 dives now back in my home and I am fine. I'm not having any of the symptoms I was having at the Airbnb while I was in California. So it appears that the chamber and accessories are not contaminated. I am grateful!

In the meantime, however, I did experience one bad night since I've been back. Insomnia, waking up during the night with my heart pounding and being awake for usually 2 hours is common for me with mold exposure. This one night occurred the 2nd night my husband was home (he drove, I flew and I arrived home 2 nights before he did). On the 2nd night, I had moved "my" pillow (that he brought back in the car) and a throw I had used daily while I was in CA into the bedroom where I was sleeping. I wasn't sleeping on either one but they were close to me. During the night I woke up with my heart racing and wide awake. I finally got up and moved both of those, the pillow and the throw into the closet. I haven't had a reoccurance since. Could it be that I was reacting to my own pillow or this throw the whole time (2 months)? I'm scared to expose myself again but I think I have to to learn the truth.

I have now done 243 1 hr dives in the last year. I know I still have a long way to go and because of a few 4-5 day breaks when traveling, I likely need to extend my healing time beyond the recommended 2 years. Although I work daily on acceptance of my condition (all these sensitivities), I have my moments (now?) when I feel frustrated and a bit hopeless. I do have hope. Those of you who have achieved wellness with this modality do give me hope to persevere and carry on. And I do intend to carry on with mHBOT for sure.

I do wonder sometimes, though, if this whole mold sensitivity is like some theories that some of us lack the genetics to identify molds from wet damaged buildings. And If that is "the whole thing in a nutshell", boosting one's immune system will not allow us to do anything different to identify mold and get rid of it. We'll still have this sensitivity-with all the constraints it causes ("I can't go here, I can't be near this thing, I can't eat that food"). And I'm aware I'm in the wrong group to be talking about this. There's really not a good mold group to talk about using mHBOT. One can really only use a chamber once they are out of mold. Not good to use while in a moldy house and concentrating that moldy air. And it's really not a modality that's accepted for discussion among those who are avoiding mold. Only mold avoiding behaviors are tolerated for discussion. So thank you for tolerating my ramblings. This group has been a life-line to me. (At the same time, please let me know if it's preferred that I not bring up non-Lyme topics).

Anyway. That's my story. Happy the chamber doesn't seem to be contaminated. Still diving and remaining hopeful. Occasionally frustrated about my reactions to "stuff".

I'm sending good thoughts to everyone for good health and good immune response to this virus.

Carbokitty

Posts: 118 | From WI | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carbokitty~

Here are my thoughts on it.

You may have the genetic predisposition, but those genes were "turned on" sometime in your life (i.e., you weren't sensitive when you were born).

Therefore, they can be "turned off", or at least, "turned down".

A lot of chemical sensitivities come from the gut, and will improve when that is fully healed.

8 months of diving is not long enough to judge, so please remain hopeful! This is a gradual process, with many layers to be traversed. Your body knows what it is doing, and in what order. (That may not always seem like "progress" to the "analyzing brain".)

I was chemically sensitive to mold and many, many substances in the environment when I was ill, all of which I no longer even notice.

I do think that reducing the toxic burden by limiting exposures while you are healing is critical though, to prevent setbacks. That was easy for me since I was homebound, but more difficult if you are traveling, etc.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hominahomina:
How is everyone cleaning their masks and is there a way to disinfect the tubing
Thanks

Just use the same 50/50 solution of water and hydrogen peroxide on your mask.

The tubing doesn't need cleaning, as the oxygen flowing through it is anti-bacterial, and the flow is toward you, rather than back through the tubing.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carbokitty...One of the big benefits I got from diving is that I no longer have the food and airborne sensitivities that plagued me before. I can now have a glass of wine on occasion. In the past 2 sips would make me feel miserable. I can also go to a toxic place like Walmart and not feel sick. Just stick with it.
Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

I use alcohol wipes to clean my mask. It is easier than mixing up the H2O2 solution. Phoiph, do you see any problem with that?
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Not if it's Tequila, Digby... [Smile]
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Thanks Digby and Phoiph~

I appreciate the hopeful and positive messages from those who have journey-ed before me. I do intend to continue on ~ never had any thoughts of quitting. Sometimes I just have to get these fearful/negative/hopeless thoughts out of my head.

Glad to not be traveling this road all alone.

My best to all,
Carbokitty

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Originally posted by Digby:
Carbokitty...One of the big benefits I got from diving is that I no longer have the food and airborne sensitivities that plagued me before. I can now have a glass of wine on occasion. In the past 2 sips would make me feel miserable. I can also go to a toxic place like Walmart and not feel sick. Just stick with it.

Hello Digby

How long did you dive when you noticed the difference ? Did you have co infections and if so what were they?

Thanks

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Phoiph~

I want to circle back around to the gene thing. Once I learned about mold sensitivity and the genetic component in 2014/15, I suddenly understood my whole life in a way I didn't understand it before. I had my tonsils out at 4 years old. I now know it was likely because there was mold in our house (with a basement). We then moved to another house, which had flooding in the basement from time to time. And I was sick frequently. And on and on with other mold exposures from wet damaged buildings. This more recent exposure that started in 2011 in my parents condo (and then I was treated with antibiotics for a Lyme diagnosis) has resulted in "lasting" gut issues and food sensitivities. While many of my past exposures landed me in various hospitals for what appeared to be mental illness (extreme anxiety and depression), none of the other included the use of long term antibiotics. I would say those genes were turned on very early on in my life. And turned on often. I remain hopeful that this will make a long term difference for me. This combined with FMTs has made a big improvement ~ FMTs seem to be the only way I can boost my intestinal flora. I am, of course, unable to obtain more at the moment and will need to try and feed what I've got going and also continue to dive.

Carbokitty

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Hominahomina...I was about a year and a half in when I started to notice these benefits.

I'm not sure about co-infections. I had Bart but I stopped being positive on tests (for what that's worth) before I started diving. I also had very high EBV titers.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Carbokitty~

Thanks for the background info.

As you explained, it is usually not "just one thing", but a cumulation of many "insults" in our lives, combined with a predisposition that results in a chronic illness. Many of us are unsure of what those contributing factors might have been in our lives, but you are more aware.

The doctor that I mentioned to you before is brilliant at finding and working around the genetic snps that might exist...just in case you wanted to explore that route.

I'm glad you're committed to continuing to dive, as you've already improved, and it can be a rocky road, but I know you're going to get there.

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Thanks Phoiph!

Maybe it's time to do that telemedicine consult with that doctor. Or hold out to experience the miracle that Digby experienced. Fingers crossed.
For today, at home, all is well.

Happy diving!
Carbokitty

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's everyone doing? I am so grateful to have my chamber during these difficult times. I've been using it daily except I recently had to take a couple of days off due to a mild cold.

I'm doing better and ready to dive back in today, but will be sure and take it very slow to build up to 1.3 ATA.

I can't help but wonder if (and hope) MHBOT is protecting us in some way, from COVID-19.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi dbpei~

Agreed!

Glad you're doing better. In my experience, getting a cold after recently beginning mHBOT can be a good sign that your immune system is kicking in.

I posted this earlier, but just in case it was missed:

Hyperbaric Application to Corvid19

https://hbot.com/hyperbaric-application-to-covid-19-pulmonary-infection/

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m actually more worried about my family getting it than myself. They are nearly 1000 miles away but their state leader doesn’t seem to be taking it seriously enough so neither are many of its people, to include my aunt. I’m so scared she’s going to give it to my mother. We, her children had to do some serious talking to her before she started taking it seriously. She’s 80 and has many health issues. But even the younger members of my family all have health issues and most of them smoke. This could wipe out my whole family but I’m working on not dwelling on that with lots of prayers and trusting in God to help us through this. I pray everyone here is safe and staying calm.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry Kaibyrd. I have similar issues with my family too. I seem to be the only one who wants the social distancing to go beyond Easter. Most are being careful distancing themselves for now, but think as long as they pray and read the Bible, it will be safe to go to services on Easter and go back to our old way of life. I hope I don't offend anyone here by this, but I just don't believe that.

It's hard enough being so afraid, but to be wasting energy on arguing your point to relatives is not good when we need our reserves to keep our immune system strong! I thank God every day for my chamber. When I get inside, it helps to calm me in so many ways.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Phoiph, I forgot to thank you for that article! It is very encouraging!
Phoiph
Member # 41238

In addition to the article, another thing I find encouraging, is that mHBOT is immune strengthing and modulating.

The drugs and herbs that are being suggested for COVID19 are also immune modulating, which assists in keeping the immune system from overreacting and creating an inflammatory "cytokine storm".

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Phoiph, what herbs are being suggested? I’ve seen probiotics mentioned as well as melatonin and vitamin C.

Dbpei, I agree about family. I’ve tried for many years to get them to eat better and stop smoking but they just don’t care so I’ve given it to God. As for Easter, I’m waiting on God there too.

--------------------
KB

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Thanks Phoiph for that tip on keeping tubes clean

Here is an article on supplements to improve immunity by Dr Hoffman

https://drhoffman.com/article/coronavirus-treatment-and-prevention-strategies/

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

I just want to chime in here on the supplements. I’ll paste a link to the Integrative Medicine school in Arizona (Andrew Weil). He cautions not to take Vitamin D during the infection because it could contribute to cytokine storm. Before and as a preventive is fine.

https://integrativemedicine.arizona.edu/file/72354/Integrative+Considerations+during+the+COVID+3.18.20.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0ufv_ZkcvWfrun7szsbpZxIl0r4iwhoJrFNT5nW64LFUONtPuFsovAEKk

Carbokitty

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Kaibyrd~

Here's an interview with Dr. Klinghardt that mentions supplements. There may be a more recent interview out now, which you can google:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=yIL2FVlaZu4&feature=emb_title

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Phoiph, thank you!

--------------------
KB

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Homina and Carbokitty, thank you!

--------------------
KB

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

FYI Kalbyrd and others for what it's worth I asked Dr Hoffman on facebook about high doses of vitamin D causing a cytokine storm he did not think that was valid in regard to high doses of vit d while sick Dr Hoffman believes increasing your intake of Vitamin D is warranted

Please listen to part 2 of this podcast to confirm from March 28 about 3 minutes and 45 seconds from the beginning

https://drhoffman.com/podcast-2/

Thanks

[ 03-30-2020, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Hominahomina ]

dbpei
Member # 33574

Here's another study showing that HBOT (and even Mild HBOT!) can help in recovery of COVID-19. This is very good news! But PLEASE keep following all precautions to avoid getting or spreading this dreadful virus.

https://www.ihausa.org/covid19-hyperbaric-therapy/?fbclid=IwAR0afnGI9fE91B6ubFLtkv5jyojKs07awLt5NdoeEJVdMGrY948PutEN8aw

Phoiph
Member # 41238

NYC ICU doctor voices strong concerns re current ventilator treatment and Covid19; Dr. Mercola suggests greater benefits of hyperbaric oxygen for Covid19:

https://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2020/04/05/ny-icu-physician-believes-respirators-may-be-making-covid19-worse.aspx

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Thanks everyone for the interesting links!
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Does anyone have any suggestions for checking the level of O2 from a concentrator? I use a pulse oximeter in the chamber occasionally and with my old Sequal concentrator my pO2 was always at 100% but with my new (to me) Newlife Intensity unit my O2 runs from 97 to 99. Plus the O2 doesn't smell the same as with the old unit.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to figure this out without spending hundreds of dollars for a sensor. I don't have a company that works on them anywhere nearby.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Digby,

I will PM you the number of an oxygen concentrator technician here who may have an idea.

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is amusing, but it's something I've noticed over the last year.

Mhbot turns my hair grey.

I assume it's the oxidative stress, but I'll get patches of grey hair when I dive.

On the other hand, my skin looks younger when I dive consistently.

Posts: 146 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Originally posted by Charles12:
This is amusing, but it's something I've noticed over the last year.

Mhbot turns my hair grey.

I assume it's the oxidative stress, but I'll get patches of grey hair when I dive.

On the other hand, my skin looks younger when I dive consistently.

Ha

What do you mean by dive consistently?
Thanks

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Friends and Fellow Divers,

I want to thank you all for your contributions to this thread! By going through the whole thing and getting the book by Dr. Harsh, I decided to get onboard!

Thanks to Phoiph, who helped me procure my set-up and has consistently answered my questions!!!

And, thanks to Digby for his personal help, also.

I've done 21 dives now, and am just composing a list of symptoms I relate to Lyme at this point, so I can do a "comparison chart" over time.

I already do a daily diary of symptoms, meds, activities, etc., and have since 2007. I use one of those daily office type two-page calendars so I can note things in the same place, making changes easier to see.

I have quite the encyclopedia of medical tests, and get some of the same ones every few months: some of them were started as far back as 2005.

LymeNet has been my go-to resource for many years! I made a donation today, and I hope others will, too.

Anyway, glad to be in on the conversation.

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Cass A, that's great news! May the Gods of mHBOT smile upon you.
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Originally posted by Cass A:
Hi, Friends and Fellow Divers,

I want to thank you all for your contributions to this thread! By going through the whole thing and getting the book by Dr. Harsh, I decided to get onboard!

Thanks to Phoiph, who helped me procure my set-up and has consistently answered my questions!!!

And, thanks to Digby for his personal help, also.

I've done 21 dives now, and am just composing a list of symptoms I relate to Lyme at this point, so I can do a "comparison chart" over time.

I already do a daily diary of symptoms, meds, activities, etc., and have since 2007. I use one of those daily office type two-page calendars so I can note things in the same place, making changes easier to see.

I have quite the encyclopedia of medical tests, and get some of the same ones every few months: some of them were started as far back as 2005.

LymeNet has been my go-to resource for many years! I made a donation today, and I hope others will, too.

Anyway, glad to be in on the conversation.

Welcome
You mentioned you had a list of Lyme symptoms
Can you share that list? I am curious Thanks

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Hello All

I was wondering what you set your oxygen concentrator on 8.5 9? etc

If possible could you say what concetrator you use and why that setting?

Just doing a little research Thanks

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Homina,

If you have an AirSep New Life Intensity 10, and are using it with a home chamber, you should set it at 8LPM.

In general, the higher the LPM setting, the lower the oxygen purity can be, so you want to set it at the "sweet spot".

Remember that when oxygen concentrators are used with a hyperbaric chamber (which they are not originally designed to do), there is a constant backpressure coming from the chamber, and flowing back into the concentrator. This makes it work harder, but it isn't a problem for this model, because it has 20psi of pressure which can counteract.

This particular model also has a built in feature (which most vendors don't know about, but this comes directly from technicians), where if the LPM are set too high (and the backpressure too great) it may go into an "on demand/pulse" mode to preserve oxygen purity. This is not an ideal mode for use with a chamber, as you want the flow to be steady.

It has been determined/recommended that 8LPM is the "sweet spot" for this model.

Other models, such as the SeQual, differ. The SeQual should be set at 10LPM and left that way. It will come down to about 8LPM during the dive due to back pressure.

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

☝🏻 What Phoiph said. I have the airsep.

--------------------
KB

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Thanks Phoiph and Kalbyrd makes sense
You say the sweet spot is 8LPM is this your observation or did you get this information somewhere else?

Phoiph
Member # 41238

No, as I mentioned, it comes directly from AirSep technicians I have spoken to over the years.
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Has anyone taken their pets in? I have a kitty who likes to go in with me every now and then. She’s rather hard headed and when she wants to join me, there’s no keeping her out. She jumps back in before I can zip up. I’m just wondering how long is safe for her?

--------------------
KB

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK--as requested, here's a list of CURRENT symptoms:

leg cramps overnight that wake me up 1-4 times a night (for the last 7 years or so) (chronic sleep deprivation)

blank spots in memory. thinking
can't find words for things or remember names
short-term memory poor

mis-perceiveing
thinking instead of perceiving, then do the wrong thing

knees achy
fatigue

Temperature sub-normal (since at least 2000)

ears itchy
hearing loss

study retention very poor
food sensitivities

losing things
sweaty at night

I have had very bad brain fog, was sleeping almost constantly for 1-3 years, had seizures from 2007 to 2019, have brain damage that shows up on an MRI, whole areas of my past are completely gone, could not persist at doing anything, could no longer do any task requiring concentration when I used to handle state legislation for a non-profit!

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Originally posted by Cass A:
OK--as requested, here's a list of CURRENT symptoms:

leg cramps overnight that wake me up 1-4 times a night (for the last 7 years or so) (chronic sleep deprivation)

blank spots in memory. thinking
can't find words for things or remember names
short-term memory poor

mis-perceiveing
thinking instead of perceiving, then do the wrong thing

knees achy
fatigue

Temperature sub-normal (since at least 2000)

ears itchy
hearing loss

study retention very poor
food sensitivities

losing things
sweaty at night

I have had very bad brain fog, was sleeping almost constantly for 1-3 years, had seizures from 2007 to 2019, have brain damage that shows up on an MRI, whole areas of my past are completely gone, could not persist at doing anything, could no longer do any task requiring concentration when I used to handle state legislation for a non-profit!

Thanks it sounds pretty serious I am hoping mHbot will help you You say you have done 21 dives so far .. can you say how long each dive and are you experiencing dieoff?
Cass A
Member # 11134

I am using Phoiph's gradient schedule. I'm now up to 1 hour at full pressure with mask--as of today.

Can't say that I'm experiencing die-off.

The one thing so far is that my awful leg cramps start later overnight (6:30 am instead of 4:30 am, so I get a bit more sleep, and the cramps are sometimes less intense.

Forgot to include tinnitus in my symptoms list! I've had it so long that it seems normal to me! LOL!!

Anyway, I'm pretty functional currently, can do gardening and some administrative work and can keep most of the housework done. My files are a mess, though. I do like having someone come in and clean once or twice a month!

This wasn't the case in 2008. At this point, my recovery had plateaued, and it is time for a BOOST!!

Phoiph
Member # 41238

While researching the use of mHBOT for Covid19 on the web, I was delighted to come across an article with an encouraging comment from "mbdq", one of the earliest mHBOT users on this thread (last LymeNet post 2015):

(Name Omitted) on April 10, 2020 at 8:22 pm:

"I am in NY and shortly after starting to have symptoms of covid-19, I started mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy via a soft home chamber, with an attached oxygen concentrator that was providing 100% oxygen that I breathed through a mask during each dive. I had previously used this setup to treat a recalcitrant case of lyme disease. The pressure in the chamber reaches 1.3 atm. I was able to get tested for covid-19 on day 9 of my symptoms and the test came back negative. My flu test was also negative. I had all symptoms of covid – fatigue, dry cough, shortness of breath, muscle pain, GI symptoms, loss of smell, etc. I definitely felt the hbot treatments helped. Perhaps they made my test negative as well. Awaiting antibody testing to confirm I had it. After two weeks of illness, I now feel well."

https://carolinefifemd.com/2020/04/04/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-for-severe-covid-19-pneumonia/

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Current clinical trials on HBOT and Covid19:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04332081

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Wonderful!

--------------------
KB

dbpei
Member # 33574

I am so grateful to have the mHBOT chamber during these difficult times. It is so good to hear that mHBOT may have helped someone with COVID19. I wish I could find a recent study that showed 1.3 ATA was the best atmospheric pressure to be used for COVID patients, but I am unable to find it. I believe it was a Russian study.
dbpei
Member # 33574

Here is some info on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iGZUA9NT_k&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0i8aqIazd3WiFBYjRL2Kp8FG-9_bWkH6IvL3tdvN__j94Y8k0ZC_6XMUM
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Brilliant idea (not the first time proposed) to use idle passenger and military jets as mass hyperbaric units:

https://youtu.be/SWCHDuUQHSM

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Cass A
mHBOT increases my tinnitus
Not sure why and even if it is really tinnitus
It's not a ringing of the ears but more of a rush sound (Not the band Rush)

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Homina,

Here's a theory for you:

Taking in supplemental oxygen (even without being used with HBOT) is temporarily vaso-constrictive Vaso-constriction has been linked to tinnitus. (I have experienced this temporarily on a few occasions when I have stayed in the chamber too long due to sleeping through my alarm).

It sounds counterintuitive, but when oxygen is used with mHBOT, it is still vaso-constrictive (which is one of the reasons it reduces inflammation), but even so, more oxygen will reach the tissues better due to the pressure. In fact, HBOT has been successful in treating tinnitus over the long term.

So, it may be that even though you might experience heightened tinnitus temporarily after a dive, it may be helping the overall condition over the long term.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Originally posted by Phoiph:
Homina,

Here's a theory for you:

Taking in supplemental oxygen (even without being used with HBOT) is temporarily vaso-constrictive Vaso-constriction has been linked to tinnitus. (I have experienced this temporarily on a few occasions when I have stayed in the chamber too long due to sleeping through my alarm).

It sounds counterintuitive, but when oxygen is used with mHBOT, it is still vaso-constrictive (which is one of the reasons it reduces inflammation), but even so, more oxygen will reach the tissues better due to the pressure. In fact, HBOT has been successful in treating tinnitus over the long term.

So, it may be that even though you might experience heightened tinnitus temporarily after a dive, it may be helping the overall condition over the long term.

Thanks
Cure it over the long run? Possibly

I don't know what you mean by temporary but my tinnitus or whatever it is doesn't go away after an hour or two If I dive regularly it sticks around 24/7 and it's loud
If I stop diving for a week or two it will turn down gradually slowly

I am going from memory

Cass A
Member # 11134

Hi, fellow divers!

I'm checking in at this point. I've done about 35 dives total. I had some improvement early on, but then the leg cramps started getting worse and my tinnitus really got bad.

So, looking at when things were improving, it was when I was at full pressure for an hour, but no mask. So, I've backed down to that.

I've decided now to increase the gradient when I'm no longer seeing an improvement instead of pushing until things get worse.

Two other notes: I've found using a saline nasal spray about 30 minutes before the dive to really clean out the sinuses and then putting a bit of olive oil in my ears helps to make the pressure transition smoother and faster.

I appreciate the data on tinnitus just posted here, too!

I found an internet program that supposedly fixes tinnitus, so I'm doing that, also. We'll see how that goes. If it helps, I'll post that data, and then anyone wishing to try it can PM me.

dbpei
Member # 33574

Hi Cass A, I tend to change things up a bit like you when mHBOT is no longer helping the way it had been or when I am developing new symptoms. Sometimes I skip a day as well.

I hadn't tried the olive oil, but do sometimes use a nasal spray such as Clear X to clear my sinuses before diving too. A half hour or more before my dive is probably best.

I know if I don't give myself enough time building up to pressure (or down) that my T is definitely worse following my dive. When I am trying to adjust to the air pressure changes, I tend to do a lot of wide, deep yawning. I notice that some of the yawns result in my hearing the compressor and concentrator noise much louder, so I can tell I opened up the Eustachian tubes!

Cass A
Member # 11134

Hi, dbpei,

Thanks for the notes and the advice.

Holding at full pressure and no mask for now.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

https://carolinefifemd.com/2020/05/04/keeping-it-real-hbot-in-a-tyson-covid-19-outbreak/

Physician treats Covid19 patient (Tyson employee) with HBOT

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Cass A,

Remind me, are you taking supplemental magnesium for the leg cramping? What kind?

How about liquid minerals added to water?

Also, you must remember to increase your water intake with mHBOT.

Gabbysson
Member # 52061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabbysson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checking in. I began diving in January this year and have now completed 108 dives begining at 60 minutes and working up to 80 minutes now.

My lyme symptoms have been primarily severe joint pain for which no drug or supplement has been effective at treating.

My experience with hbot has been all positive, not dramatically so, in fact frustratingly slow but nevertheless positive.

My first encouragement came in the first couple of weeks. My CRP blood test which had been in the 60's (normal is less than 1) plummeted to about 4. I was ready to be completely healed in a month.

Of course it didn't work out that way. I began what has been a slow slog where I gain a little better range of motion or a slight but definitely noticeable reduction in pain from week to week.

I regularly think I've recovered more than I have and overdue my exercise or regular life activity. Thankfully it only takes a couple days to recover and get back on the lymie slog.

I'm grateful for God's grace in teaching me patience and appreciation for true value in life.

Posts: 5 | From Virginia | Registered: Dec 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Gabbysson,

This sounds like a very positive report for 3.5 months in; 2 steps forward, 1 step back, but gaining ground slowly.

True healing takes time...and it sounds like you have the patience to be in it for the duration. Good for you!

dbpei
Member # 33574

Good luck Gabbyson! I started around the same time as you and am also on my 108th dive! I only dive for 60 minutes at 1.3 pressure but take about another half hour compressing and decompressing due to sensitive ears.

My symptoms are more neurological (mostly my neck up) than yours, and like you, progress has been slow, but in the right direction for the most part. There is nothing else that I have tried that has helped as much as mHBOT over the last decade.

I have had a setback recently with Covid creating a lot of anxiety that may have resulted in a flare of my symptoms, but I am thankful to have my chamber! I was tested for the Covid virus and happy to report that my test was negative. So I think it was likely a flare for me.

Best of luck to you and I'm glad you shared your story!

Gabbysson
Member # 52061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabbysson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently reading about exercise with oxygen therapy (ewot). Once one is healthy enough to exercise normally, it sounds like a good option to continue to use oxygen therapeutically.

Does anyone have experience with ewot?

Posts: 5 | From Virginia | Registered: Dec 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Originally posted by Gabbysson:
I was recently reading about exercise with oxygen therapy (ewot). Once one is healthy enough to exercise normally, it sounds like a good option to continue to use oxygen therapeutically.

Does anyone have experience with ewot?

I do not but my understanding is it is not as good as HBOT because it does not saturate the body with oxygen as well.

Couple questions
Do you have any bad reactions with 80 minute dives what is CRP and what does it have to do with Lyme? Thanks

Gabbysson
Member # 52061

CRP is a blood test for general body inflammation. Often used to assist in diagnosing autoimmune diseases. It doesn’t indicate any specific body location of the inflammation.

It was the only indication other than my Lyme WB that suggested I had any health problem. It’s elevated level for me kept the doctors from declaring me nuts when they found no reason for my joint pain.

I have read that CRP is commonly high with Lyme, something like 80%, but not necessarily and of course a high CRP is not necessarily an indication of Lyme.

After I did the ramp up to 60 minutes with full oxygen at the beginning, I did that level for 30 days with only positive response.

Then I began increasing 5 minutes at a time for a couple weeks to assess the effects of that dosage. I felt fine until I went passed 75 minutes when I had a little difficulty sleeping.

I went back to 75 minutes and stayed there comfortably for about 2 months. I only recently moved up to 80 minutes which seems fine for now.

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Congratulations on your progressive (slow) positive improvements, gabbysson!
Interesting to read about your initial issues with 75 plus minutes and now being able to increase again.
I'm right at 290 dives. Last year, in July, I tried to bump it up to 90 minutes but after a week, develop pain on my right side, around the liver/gallbladder. Taking a 4 day break resolved that and I've stuck with 60 minutes. Maybe I can slowly increase a bit.

Carbokitty

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gabbysson. thanks for the encouraging report! CRP in the 60's! I thought my son's was high at 27. Thank you for including that info. Long may your improvement continue!!
Posts: 1684 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well, staying well and safe during cover-19.
I have just reached 302 dives. I've been diving just over a year at 1.3 ATA and with oxygen. I initially started due to acute mold exposure (it helped dramatically!) and quickly discovered that it resolved my chronic diarrhea to completely formed stools after 3 dives.
My stools have been up and down over the last year but mostly good.

Last week, I started having tenesmus (spasming of my anus mostly). When it occurred, it would occur for awhile about every 30 seconds. I noticed it mostly when I laid down to sleep. It got a little more intense and further up my large intestine. It can be quite distracting and distressing.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had this as a herx? I'm trying to decide if this is part of the disease process or part of the healing process.

Thanks for reading and any experience you may have in this area.

Carbokitty

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Carbokitty. I have not had that. It is hard sometimes to tell between a herx and the disease process. I don't want to sound cliche-ish. But sometimes time will tell. For me that has been the case.
Posts: 1684 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi all~
Me again. The spasming resolved this week-finally and gratefully.
I know this has been discussed many times but it's my first time with a plugged ear. Just the right side. I would say it's been at least a week, although it was on and off before that for at least another week.
I have finally given in and stopped diving. I'm wondering if others have had a similar issue, how long it took to resolve and how you knew it was safe to dive again.
I started with some homeopathic drops for ear wax and that did very little. Then I started using a combo drops of mullein and garlic that is used commonly for ear infections (Friday I woke with pain that radiated down my jaw so I figured there was something brewing. That has resolved since starting the drops).
I have earplanes ordered and will try that once I start back up. Again, this was during over 300 dives that these symptoms started.

dbpei
Member # 33574

Are you sure it is not some wax clogging your ear? The only way to know for sure would be to go to the doc (I prefer ENT for this) and have him/her look inside and clean it out. Plus if it is something more serious, the doc could advise about treatment, as well as when it is safe to resume mHBOT.

This must be so frustrating after having done so many dives without this problem. It is one of my worst fears that ear problems would get in the way of diving. Good luck to you and please keep us posted!

This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  56  57  58   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement