LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 50)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 59 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  57  58  59   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carbokitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks dbpei. Almost even as I wrote that, I started getting some relief. It's not 100% and I definitely feels some draining as I sleep (and stay with that ear down).
As I mentioned, I had tried some homeopathic drops that are to work on ear wax with no noticeable benefit.
The combination now of the mullein and garlic drops and I used a little hydrogen peroxide as well and not diving seems to be making the difference. I guess I will keep paying attention and stay out of the chamber until I feel clear (meaning the right feels as clear as the left).
My Earplanes arrived, so I will use those when I dive again.
Yes, frustrating! And so unexpected, having not had issues previously. But one never knows whether this is part of the healing process or what. Helps me work on my patience-lol.

Have a good day and good dive everyone!
Carbokitty

Posts: 118 | From WI | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you are getting some relief, carbokitty! It will be good to know if the Earplanes work. I used to listen to head phones during my entire dive and then read somewhere not to put anything in your ears to obstruct them during your dive, especially when compressing and decompressing, so it is confusing to know what is safe to use!

It is good to trust your instincts for this stuff, I am sure! Happy diving!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carbokitty, so glad that you have had some relief of the previous symptom! I have found this chiropractor really helpful with some techniques that he uses for clearing Eustachian tubes. I will post a search on his youtube site for his list of Eustachian tube videos. If these techniques don't work I would consider having someone look into your ears.

https://www.youtube.com/user/motivationaldoc/search?query=Eustacian+tubes

Posts: 1687 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding ears, I was having trouble getting one ear to completely come back to "normal" after a dive. Phoiph recommended acupressure points that are easy to find on the Internet.

Here's a link: https://www.modernreflexology.com/ear-acupressure-points-to-treat-earache-and-tinnitus/

These worked for me.

To get my ears to go through the compression and decompression more rapidly and with less problems, I have used some ear drops that are mainly olive oil with small amounts of essential oils. I think the olive oil is the key---just lubricates the inside of the ears.

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reporting in!

I'm now at just over 50 dives, an hour at pressure and now with oxygen added into the chamber but no mask.

I had a very bad flare up of 40-year-old back problems that I thought had fully resolved. I could hardly walk at all and was crying in pain. Sitting or standing weren't much better.

I didn't dive for a few days---I wouldn't have been able to get in or out of the chamber due to pain.

Phoiph talked to me on the phone after I emailed her, and convinced me to continue. Well, the pain has backed off and I can now walk OK, just not sit or stand for very long.

Hope this is over soon!!! When I had it from injuries decades ago, it took 6 months to be able to be out of bed and back to work!

Thanks again to Phoiph.

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cass A - so sorry to hear about your back problems returning after all of that time. I wonder if an old injury reactivating is a common occurrence for those who do mHBOT. I have had a few old pains return, but nothing as bad as you are describing.

I hope you continue to improve and will get past this. I wonder if you could try repositioning your chamber if there is a way to get in and out that does not cause so much pain for you. (maybe try zipper on side instead of top?) Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carbokitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cass: Thanks for the ear unplugging suggestions. (Ironically, I'm an acupuncturist! I've been needling myself, but not as a preventive-only after the fact). I use a combination of mullein and garlic oil-since this has happened.
I think the earplanes are working. That right ear still doesn't completely open up right away but it never did. It just didn't plug up like it did 2 weeks ago.

I'm so sorry, Cass to hear about your back! A few years prior to even knowing about mHBOT, I had a bad flare up of back pain. Very odd situation, it seemed to be due to taking a probiotic which caused hugh die off and leaky gut-which they resulting in adhesions. I couldn't sit or stand. Mostly just lay down on a mattress that was on the floor. It was an amazing physical therapist that helped me recover from that. I've never had a problem since.

I agree with dbpei's suggestion to turn your chamber sideways. Simple enough if you're not alone and someone can do that for you. When I broke my foot this winter, the clinic I went to had their chamber on the side. With help, I could get in and out.
At the Airbnb we were staying at, there were 2 bedrooms. We positioned the chamber next to the bed in the spare bedroom so that I could enter from the side of the bed. (zipper on top). That was helpful. It's all hard when you're in pain though.

Hope you are feeling better very soon!

Carbokitty

Posts: 118 | From WI | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow this topic is still alive! [Smile]
Havent read the last years of it, so please excuse me... I was one of the ealier ones in 2013 that started the MHBOT therapy.

Gosh it has been almost 7 years now and im still using it on an almost daily basis. Thats like over 2000 hours i suppose!?

I guess a lot of you would like to know if this has been the magic bullet for me? And to that I would say that's a difficult question to answer! It has been very instrumental in my healing process, but mostly because its doing a fair job in keeping the lyme suppressed, or at least operating at a lower level. At the same time it isnt as much of a trigger for my MCAS, which in hindsight seems to be a very important factor. Many drugs (antibiotics) were big triggers for my MCAS and because of that werent helping very much.
However i would say that MHBOT is not as powerful in killing lyme as antibiotics. But if you are sensitive like me, those antibiotics can often do more harm than good. I learned that the hard way.

Getting MCAS under control while having lyme obviously took more than just MHBOT. Too much to write about here. And im still struggling with some of it. Especially now during the whole pandemic where i had to switch medication and that resulted in a few bad reactions. So my healing path is now again somewhat compromised.

However i didnt want to withhold this from you. I do feel ive reached a lot in the last few years, more than i was dreaming of.
I guess you could say this was my victory moment last year where i was able to do a 3000ft climb on my MTB:

-

And no, that isnt an ebike! [Smile]
This is in Spain near Gerona (Santuari de la Mare de Déu del Mont).
Took a lot of hard work and im hoping i will be able to continue doing things like this. But there are no guarantees with lyme and MCAS sadly so we will just have to wait and see what the future brings.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you. Good luck to all of you!

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome post S13! I’m so happy to see you accomplish something so amazing. Awesome job!

What is MCAS?

Abx only made things worse for me too. I’ve actually had to stop diving as well since it was also making me worse but I’m working with a doctor Phoiph referred me to, to find out what’s going on at a metabolic and DNA level. The test are back and I have a Skype meeting with him tomorrow. Emotions are high but there’s hope now.

I have improved since stopping mHBOT but it was basically an effort of will. My PMC told me that the recent increase in symptoms could be from menopause and since hormone therapy didn’t work, exercise is the only alternative. So I’ve been pushing myself to get moving. My husband has a Nordictrack with iFit that allows you to immerse yourself in the workout video you choose. I love hiking and found several low impact walks that I can actually do. I think the motivation of going on a hike in my own home has helped tremendously.

I will be going back to diving but right now I just feel as if my body can’t detox correctly, (among other issues). Hopefully I will find out why and how to fix that tomorrow.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Kaibyrd! Thank you very much [Smile]

MCAS is short for Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Its where certain cells of your immune system go haywire with only the slightest of disturbance. Mast cells are basically the gatekeepers of your body. They guard your body for foreign things or anything unusual. Its a lot to explain, but know that many hypersensitive lyme patients actually also suffer from MCAS. And lyme is known to trigger mast cells anyway, so even if you dont have a genetic disposition towards MCAS you could still be suffering from the same symptoms caused by your mast cells if you have lyme.

Anyway, if you are interested, ive learned a lot from the low histamine chef Yasmina: https://healinghistamine.com/about-me/
I know she didnt have lyme disease, so her healing strategy was obviously a bit different, but its still very informative.

If there is one thing ive learned from MHBOT, its that even oxidative stress can trigger mast cells and make you feel worse. An excess of oxidative stress is never a good thing. MHBOT should be a short burst of stress while your own cells & proteins are protected by antioxidants.

Ive learned the hard way that too much isnt a good thing. And with MHBOT pushing it to the max isnt necessary anyway. I find that pressures higher than 1.3ATA are counterproductive. Also, more than 40 minutes per day is counterproductive in my case.
I take a TON of antioxidants nowadays and they dont make the therapy less effective. In fact because they minimize the side effects, the therapy becomes more effective.
I would say that there is a lower limit though. Too little pressure and the lyme isnt being suppressed any more. I noticed that when traveling to elevation. Above 3000ft elevation the 1.3ATA wasnt sufficient any more and i got some of my typical lyme symptoms back (joint pain). I had to increase to 1.4ATA and things calmed down again.

At 1.3ATA the MHBOT doesnt seem to kill lyme right away. It suppresses it only. But for sensitive people that could be the better approach. Perhaps if you would be able to handle 2.5ATA (like in hospital) you could actually kill the lyme, but for many that is too much to handle.

BTW, when i talk about antioxidants i obviously mean Vitamin C (good for mast cell stabilization anyway) and Ascorbyl Palmitate. But even more so NADH and SOD.
-> NADH converts to NADPH and helps to recycle glutathione.
-> SOD, or Super-Oxide Dismutase, is the other master antioxidant in your body that deals with superoxide.
I know these antioxidant supplements are not that widely used by lyme patients, but they made all the difference for me by reducing the side effects of my mhbot treatment and keeping my mast cells happy [Smile]
And when your mast cells are happy your immune system will function a lot more effective thus helping to combat the lyme bacteria.

I sure hope you can get your excercise regime on track. Again dont overdo it. Low impact is they way to go!
Also im not sure what type of detoxing you are doing right now? Cholestyramine has been a lifesaver for me (though recently i have been having issues with different manufacturers and reacting to excipients badly).

I wish you good luck with your skype meeting tomorrow. Hope the tests reveal something.

Btw is Phoiph still hanging around here?

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info S13.

I remember my Lyme doctor being concerned about mast cells and putting me on an antihistamine while I was on abx in 2015. Funny thing was, the antihistamines made my sinus issues much worse. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ll try to remember to ask my doc tomorrow about what you’ve mentioned above if I get the chance. He likes to talk though. I was exhausted after our last Skype meeting.

I’ve tried many types of detox but most often it was far infrared sauna, Epsom salt baths and watching my diet, eating foods that support detox. Nothing seemed to help. I have a lot of inflammation in the gut that needs to be addressed after all the abx so we’ll see what he’s found the cause could be. I’m off dairy but I’m sure I’ll be taking lots more foods out of my diet. That’s always the hardest part for me. He will be recommending supplements based on my tests results. I’m interested to see what those are.

Yes Phoiph is still here and still helping lots of people. 😊

Take care!

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

I never went the antihistamine route. Learning from Yasmina (the low histamine chef), antihistamines can actually be detrimental to your mast cells, eventually making the situation worse. Ive learned that there are more natural ways to combat histamine and prevent mast cells from activating. Its not an easy process though... A lot of trial and error to find your individual needs (eliminating things you are sensitive to, and including things that make your immune system more stable).

The gut is probably where most problems are for many. Mine as well. Mast cells are highly concentrated in the gut. Getting the gut under control has been my main priority over the last years. Nalcrom is the only medication i use right now, other than cholestyramine. They are both helpful in getting the gut inflammation down. Once the gut is functioning better, your entire body will work better. But its easier said than done if you have lyme obviously.

Ah the infrared sauna! I had one of those! Always felt horrible in and after it [Wink]
Eventually i gave up on the idea that it was detoxing me. I now know im just sensitive to heat and it triggers a mast cell flare. So i just avoid extreme temperatures.

Its actually nothing new for me, even before i got my lyme 8 years a go i remember being sensitive to lots of things. As a young kid i would get attacks of nausea and weakness from just being out in the sun. And parfums would almost choke me. Then again there is a clear genetic trail from my mothers side of the family that shows these problems, so for me there are definitely genes that add to the whole MCAS situation. But im not assuming thats true for everyone, or at least every sensitive lyme patient out there. We are all different in that way.

Well, im interested in what your doc recommends, so please let us know!

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi S13! Thank you for your post and update. Congratulations on the climb! Very exciting to be able to live life again and go to that length. I really appreciate you sharing your joy and triumph.

Interesting that you settled on 40 min dives vs 60. What were your symptoms at 60 min that you don't have at 40 min?

When I first started at a clinic (now 315 dives in since April 2019), the first was 20 min. Then I did 40 min dives for at least the first 3 months (did my first in Jan 2019 but didn't get up to 60 min until sometime in March or April and only then started recording my dive #). And only since I've had my chamber do I dive daily. Previously was constrained by my schedule and the clinic's schedule. Of course cost was a factor also.

I don't tolerate Vit C (except lemon juice) due to gut issues. I do take SOD and catalase as part of my B12/tolate supplement.

Thanks for jumping back into the conversation! Always good to learn from others.

Kaibyrd, have a good appointment today. Will also be interested to hear what you learn further!

All the best,
Carbokitty

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

So 40 minutes basically gave me the same lyme suppressing results as 60 minutes. And i dont even use supplemental oxygen any more.
More than 40 minutes and it would aggrevate some of my mast cell symptoms, such as restless legs, fatigue, heart palpitations/rhythm and depression.

So at a certain point i realized that more isnt better and the less i can trigger my mast cells while still keeping lyme suppressing effects, the better.

Right now with my mast cells better under control by diet and supplements i could actually do longer dives without too much problems, but i just feel it isnt necessary.

For vitamin C i only use pure powder ascorbic acid. I think some mcas patients report difficulties with vitamin c derived from corn, but im not sure if that is the problem for you?

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hominahomina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All

Couple questions

How many here use Nicotinamide Riboside do you like it?

Also

How many use an Air Purifier how do you like it and what brand do you use?

Thanks

Posts: 261 | From California | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Homina:

I don't use Nicotinamide Riboside so I can't comment.

I have purchased a number of Honeywell air purifiers from Target over the years and I've been happy with them. The 2 filters can be pricey and there's that ongoing cost-but the cost of the purifier itself wasn't bad. (don't remember now but less than $200 for sure). I currently have 3 in different rooms. One of the things I actually like about it that other's may not is it creates a bit of white noise and masks some of the noise of my husband coming to bed or his TV watching on another floor when I've gone to bed already.

We have 2 cats and we've had mold issues and I feel these have helped.

There has been a lot of recent discussion within my profession about air purifiers with uv light to help get rid of covid. I've considered but have not purchased.

Carbokitty

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homina, I have used NR as well as doing NAD infusions. Neither has been worth the cost for me.

I use a Healthmate air purifier. They are expensive but mine has lasted 15 years with cartridge replacement ~ every 4 years. It is on 24/7 and is still going strong!

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hominahomina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Carbo and Digby
Digby do you dive with purified air ?
If so how do you do it?

Posts: 261 | From California | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a local doctor that uses IV cord blood stem cell therapy combined with NAD IV therapy, these both for 5 days. Anyone know how effective this might be? I have to wonder whether cord blood cells taken from another might have infectious problems.
Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homina, my chamber is in the room where the Healthmate is, so indirectly, yes.
Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S13~

Hi, yes, I'm still here...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It looks like you've made amazing progress!

I'm very happy for you :)

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Thank you Phoiph!
Good to see you are still providing support and help after all these years [Smile]

How is your tank holding up? Still doing the therapy?

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

S13
Can you answer a question or two
Do you think longer dives earlier in your mhbot protocol benefited you and now 40 minutes per dive maintains?

How much NADH what brand do you use what time of day and with or without food?
Does NADH affect your ability to sleep?

Coffee Enemas increase glutathione quite a bit but the glutathione levels drop pretty fast it seems due to stresses on the body so I am wondering if using NADH would help keep levels high during the day
Thanks

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Well no, i actually didnt start to improve until i lowered my oxidative stress. Which meant reducing mhbot time and increasing antioxidants. Early on when i was doing 1.5ATA i was actually doing worse.
And i still get that, if i overdo oxidative stress i get worse. Just finding that minimum suppressing effect of the mhbot and not any more gave me the best results. This has a lot to do with triggering my MCAS, so this might not apply to everyone.

For NADH I use the Enada Mojo twice a day. Sometimes the NOW foods NADH if i cant get the Enada.
No it doesnt affect my sleep at all. In fact i take it in the evening as well. But your mileage may vary.
I did not have much success with coffee enemas or glutathione in the past. Well, liposomal glutathione gave some positive effects, but it was just too damn expensive for the benefits. NADH and SOD while also not very cheap were much more helpful. Im sure this wont be the case for everyone however.
Oh yeah i forgot to mention i also use the gamma-tocopherol form of vitamin E. Gamma tocopherol can neutralize reactive nitrogen species. Nitrosative stress and oxidative stress often go hand in hand.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Thanks S13 This is good to know I could try the NADH and SOD
NAD followed by a CE have provided me temporary relief from symptoms

Here is a question for the group

Have any of you tried cryotherapy for lyme and co infectiona or more specifically Bartonella ?

elsworth
Member # 51880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elsworth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S13,

I definitely have MCAS like you also. Symptoms since 1991, and some family history too. Thank you for the post and advice on management.

Hominahomina,

Why are you asking about cryotherapy ? I do the Wim Hof Method, which has cold exposure as a component of the method. I never considered cold exposure as therapeutic for lyme. Do you have information that would suggest that ? Or would the cryotherapy just be a pallative treatment for joint issues/pain ? TY (*The cold exposure did help my joint issues markedly in my hands.)

Posts: 15 | From Tennessee USA | Registered: Apr 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Elsworth

I ask because a local cryotherapy office here tells me they have lyme patients that have gotten relief from cryo I don't know if it kills the infection or helps with the symptoms
I will know more later

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Digby
Thanks for the feedback
I assume you have a Austin Healthmate I hope that is correct
Could you tell me what model it is, what type of filters it has , and if it is good at removing ozone and smog? I live in a heavily congested urban area that has a lot of smog and ozone

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Homina, Yes the Austin Healthmate. The model is the HM400, which is the basic unit. It is very good at removing small particulates and VOCs. So smog would be filtered out. I don't know about the ozone but it typically degrades very rapidly as it oxidizes the particles in the smog.
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by S13:
So 40 minutes basically gave me the same lyme suppressing results as 60 minutes. And i dont even use supplemental oxygen any more.
More than 40 minutes and it would aggrevate some of my mast cell symptoms, such as restless legs, fatigue, heart palpitations/rhythm and depression.

So at a certain point i realized that more isnt better and the less i can trigger my mast cells while still keeping lyme suppressing effects, the better.

Right now with my mast cells better under control by diet and supplements i could actually do longer dives without too much problems, but i just feel it isnt necessary.

For vitamin C i only use pure powder ascorbic acid. I think some mcas patients report difficulties with vitamin c derived from corn, but im not sure if that is the problem for you?

The O2 always makes my Babesia come back.
Posts: 146 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Thanks Digby
Why did you choose the HM400 ?

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles 12~

It is common to have "flares" of symptoms with mHBOT, as your immune system improves and begins to fight pathogens, including Babesia.

It doesn't mean that the 02 is making your Babesia "come back". It is more likely that Babesia (and/or other pathogens) are still latent in your system, and when your immune system begins to fight, you have a flare.

In my case, consistency over time with mHBOT got me through this phase, and took care of my severe Babesia.

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Homina: I honestly don't remember, it was a long time ago. All I can say is I'm happy I did. It is a very well made unit.
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoiph:
Charles 12~

It is common to have "flares" of symptoms with mHBOT, as your immune system improves and begins to fight pathogens, including Babesia.

It doesn't mean that the 02 is making your Babesia "come back". It is more likely that Babesia (and/or other pathogens) are still latent in your system, and when your immune system begins to fight, you have a flare.

In my case, consistency over time with mHBOT got me through this phase, and took care of my severe Babesia.

It happens if I just use the concentrator separately too. I also begin to react to Babesia medications again if I use it for a sustained period.
Posts: 146 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Charles12~

Not quite sure I am clear on your last post.

Are you saying that if you use just oxygen from the concentrator (not with the chamber) you have a flare of symptoms?

And, if you use "it" (the chamber, or just oxygen?) for a sustained period, you begin to "react" (how?) to the Babesia medications you are on?

Just trying to understand...

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by Phoiph:
Charles12~

Not quite sure I am clear on your last post.

Are you saying that if you use just oxygen from the concentrator (not with the chamber) you have a flare of symptoms?

And, if you use "it" (the chamber, or just oxygen?) for a sustained period, you begin to "react" (how?) to the Babesia medications you are on?

Just trying to understand...

If I supplement with O2 by using the concentrator by itself, my Babesia symptoms return, and grow worse.

I regularly take anti-malarials, but I don't normally show any herx reaction. The infection is normally suppressed, if not dormant. If I use my chamber for a few weeks, I'll start to herx again. This corresponds with the flare.

If my immune system was just waking up - then I would be herxing on the anti-malarials regardless.

My gut says the O2 does feed the infection.

[ 06-21-2020, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Charles12 ]

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

This whole idea of things feeding microbes in the body is becoming a bit ridiculous if you ask me.
In the case of Babesia, its not like oxygen is the limiting growth factor. In fact it can also thrive without oxygen in an anaerobic state.

So if you say babesia symptoms, what symptoms are we talking about?

Getting worse from a therapy is usually because your body cant handle the toxic side effects of that therapy. And yes, oxygen can be considered toxic to the body if not properly bound by things like hemoglobin and if byproducts arent neutralized by antioxidants. Which is exactly what happens when you do hyperbaric oxygen therapy or when you supplement with pure O2.

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Oh just to be clear, im not saying you should continue with the therapy if you feel worse from it. No, in fact if you only feel worse you should definitely stop or change it so that you dont feel worse. You should feel better from a therapy, never worse.
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Charles 12~

I just wanted to give you another perspective on your concerns re oxygen worsening Babesia:

Dr. J, who uses mHBOT in his practice, wrote this in his LymeMD blog in response to a similar question/concern about oxygen “feeding” Babesia/Bartonella:

Question: October 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM
“Great to know mild hyper chambers work too, but I am concerned about co-infection, whether or not they will thrive in an oxygen rich body?...like babesa, bart?

A couple of patients report of babesa, bart symptoms increased, pre hyperbaric chamber babesa negative, but post hbot babesa positive and severe fatigue and pain in legs...
I am anxious to know your views on this."

Lyme report: Montgomery County, MD said...
Answer: “I know this answer is a bit long-winded. This question keeps coming up over and over again. I do not know here this myth came from. But is absolutely false. I fear it may be keeping a lot of patients away from a treatment which might be very helpful.

If this were true nobody would get better since virtually every Lyme patient has co-infections. People do Herx with HBOT so getting worse for a while is part of the process. Oxygen does not act like a fertilizer to promote the growth of various aerobic pathogens/parasites. What is important to hear is that HBOT creates a milieu of: a natural antibiotic, decreased swelling, improved immune function overall, healing of diseased tissues, increased glutathione and improved mitochondrial function. HBOT is used to heal severe non-healing wounds in diabetics, patients with gangrene and other non-healing surgical wounds. All of these infections have a combination of anaerobic and aerobic bacteria. The treatment kills both. And very importantly, HBOT helps break down biofilms”
http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2013/10/immune-hyperstimulation-lyme-disease.html

I also want to share an excerpt from a veterinary research study of Babesia in dogs. It is suggestive of how Babesia and other parasites are damaged by oxidative stress...similar to the description of how oxidative stress damages the membrane of the Lyme spirochete.

Oxidative stress is one of the many therapeutic mechanisms in hyperbaric, and, fortunately, with mild hyperbaric, does not cause damage to the body due to a compensatory increase in natural antioxidant production.

Here's the quote from the research article:

“...Many parasites including protozoa are sensitive to oxidative stress. Sensitivity to oxidative stress has been reported in malaria (Rockett et al., 1991), hepatozoonosis (Kiral et al., 2005), tropical theileriosis (Visser et al., 1995) and babesiosis (Stich et al., 1998). Reactive oxygen species (ROS) and Reactive Nitrogen Species (RNS) are powerful oxidants and nitrating species that can inactivate enzymes and initiate the process of lipid peroxidation and nitration, which leads to radical chain reactions that further damage membranes, nucleic acids and proteins (Muller et al., 2003). These processes may ultimately lead to the killing of parasitic organisms (Rockett et al., 1991; Kiral et al., 2005)...”

Another article on the importance of Oxidative Stress (free radicals) in relation to HBOT:

Oxidative stress is fundamental to hyperbaric oxygen therapy, by Stephen R. Thom. Journal of Applied Physi9ology 106:988-995, 2009: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2660252/

My concern is that you may stop, or only intermittently use a therapy that may potentially benefit you for fear that it is worsening your Babesia. In my opinion, what might help is if you proceed more slowly (but consistently) with mHBOT, so you don't overwhelm your body when your immune system begins to fight the infections.

I am very glad I continued to dive and move through the flares I experienced, as I would have never become well otherwise.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,

I wanted to pop in for two reasons

1. I’m continue to feel excellent, and live a normal and productive life now at 51 y/o. Rarely enter the chamber, maybe 10-20 times a year.

2. This is a video of one of the moms in the FB mhbot group that has used the soft chamber to treat her daughter and Dr Sonners (author of Oxygen Under Pressure). I really appreciate the conversation and answers he gives that seem to linger around soft chambers. He also has a YouTube channel for those interested HBOT USA.

https://youtu.be/rvBwZVxbYxI

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

So happy to hear this and thanks Peimomma!

--------------------
KB

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Peimomma~

Great to hear that you're continuing to do so well!

The fact that you are doing mHBOT infrequently now while maintaining great health supports my belief that mHBOT is not merely "suppressing" pathogens or temporarily masking symptoms, but is truly healing and normalizing the immune and other systems.

I continue to use my chamber 2-3 times per week if I can...not out of need anymore, but because I find it restorative.

Thanks for the video link, and for your continued dedication to mHBOT awareness. I know you offer a lot of information and support on other forums.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Good information from Montgomery County MD
Thanks Phoiph

Phoiph
Member # 41238

You're welcome, Homina.

This and other related info and comments on the subject have been posted previously in the thread, so I encourage everyone, especially newcomers, to take the time to read it all.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

For those of you with Bartonella

Do you notice if you overwork or overexert yourself that it is hard to get to sleep that night?

Did mHBOT cure that?

Thanks

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

I did not get a response so let me ask a different way
For those of you that experience insomnia when you overexert yourself what do you do to speed recovery to get back to "normal"?

Thanks

dbpei
Member # 33574

Sleep issues are so hard. I don't usually experience insomnia as a result of over exerting myself. But I do often experience difficulty sleeping through the night with early awakening in the wee hours.

Two things that have helped me are slow release melatonin at 3 mg and edible marijuana. I am a medical marijuana patient so I have gotten advice from my doctor on this. The edible form of marijauna (should be Indica strain to relax you) takes a long time to get into your system, and also a long time to leave it. But you could try a tincture that gets into your system within 15 - 30 minutes, which might be good for your problem.

I don't like the psychogenic effects of MJ, so by taking it at bedtime, when I usually get right to sleep, I am not usually bothered by this. I wish I could offer more help, but maybe some others here will chime in on this. Good luck to you! I know how bad it is when we struggle with getting the healing sleep we so need.

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

I haven’t really found a consistent help for sleep. I never really over exert these days, I just don’t have enough energy, but I have realized I sleep better when I do a 30 minute walk or lift light weights. That being said, I still have trouble both falling asleep and waking up many days. I take Pharma GABA and magnesium before bed and I know if I run out of those, I won’t sleep at all. Just did that Monday night. Maybe I won’t let myself run out again after that experience!

About the only thing I can advise for recovery after overexertion is to be kind to your body, rest and give it nutrition with whole foods, no processed fake food.

Dbpei, I wish I could get access to MM!

--------------------
KB

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Homina,

mHBOT, diet, and graded movement/exercise (without overexertion) eventually cured my complete insomnia, but it was a gradual process, and it was one of the last symptoms to go.

My neurologist/HBOT specialist friend explained to me that sleep architecture is very complex, and requires many body systems to be in synch. This balance may not happen until the later stages of healing.

I also agree with Kaibyrd regarding nutrition and restoration of gut health being crucial. Many of our hormones and neurotransmitters, etc., reside there, and gut biome has a strong influence on sleep. You can google "gut biome and sleep" to read more about the connection.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Thanks all

I think my adrenals become exhausted which is part my fault and I think infection also puts a strain on them

I understand bartonella makes it hard to sleep too

I agree rest and good diet is important to restore the adrenals I find myself craving salt meat cheese raw meat expecially and pumpkin seeds
I am using extra vitamin C too which seems to help

Interestingly mHBOT if I am regular helps me sleep along with other things

I did not know all that about gut biome and sleep but it makes sense

I am hoping as I heal getting good sleep will be less of a problem

Thanks all for your feedback

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to share a quick story about Newtowne Hyperbarics. I have a 34" chamber from them and I had a problem with the zipper.

I emailed pictures of the problem to Marie at the company and 3 minutes after I hit send, my phone rang and it was Marie. She said she was sorry for the problem and would send out a new chamber to me.

I asked when I could expect it and she checked with her shipping dept and said it would go out that day! A few days later I received a brand new chamber. I swapped the hardware (she offered to do this for me but it would have slowed down the shipment) and I'm up and running again.

I am the first one to complain about poor customer service but I also think it's important to share amazing customer oriented service when it occurs. It's rare but this kind of service restores one's faith in humanity and I appreciate it.

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi all, Homina and Digby ~

Sleep can be such a challenge! It is one of my "symptoms" that occurs in conjunction with gut issues. If my gut is happy, frequently, my sleep is good. It is one of the symptoms I track.

As you all know, I have had mold exposure and am mold sensitive. Sleep is immediately disrupted when I've been exposed...and I often don't know I've been exposed until that night and then I wake up at 2, 3 4am, often with an elevated heart rate.

Throughout my journey with health issues (primarily the last 9 years), I have also developed or uncovered food sensitivities. I am now very very careful to track my foods and not change more than 1 thing at a time so that I know exactly what's affecting me, including supplements. Sometimes that's very hard but its gotten easier b/c my diet is so limited and I've accepted that I can just eat the same things over and over again.

But even this summer, I learned that organically grown lettuce from our garden affected my sleep and gut. I can eat non-organic red leaf or green leaf lettuce from the grocery store w/o a problem. I tried adding just a few leaves from our garden lettuce and I was back to not sleeping and having loose stools and/or diarrhea. I even planted 3 different kinds of lettuce and can't tolerate any of the 3. I discovered this winter that I had similar symptoms to boxed organic spring mix lettuce.

This is just my story. It may not be your's. Because I value good sleep so much ~ it makes all the difference in my day the next day, I work very hard to make it a priority. As I am sure most of us do.

Digby ~ Thank you so much for sharing this great story! I also have a Newtowne. I have not had problems with it so far. I had a problem with the oxygen concentrator early on, which I purchased elsewhere and had a similar experience. He shipped out a new one ASAP and I was only down/without extra oxygen for 2 days.

Stay cool.
Carbokitty

dbpei
Member # 33574

Great to hear about the good service at Newtowne, Digby! Thanks for sharing good news!

Gosh Carbokitty, that is amazing how you figured that out with the lettuce. I will have to start doing some better tracking of what I eat to see if I can find any relationships with regard to sleep! thanks for the tips!

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Carbo

That is interesting about lettuce
For me eating lettuce at night organic or otherwise helps me sleep it seems and the lettuce from the garden organic seems to work a little better that is a subjective observation

Digby
I am sending you a private message about your chamber I have a question
Thanks

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

I have not gotten a response on cryotherapy for lyme from the company that does it over here
I asked how cryotherapy could kill off a bacterial infection .. They did not respond as far as I can tell

Question
Have any of you tried Molecular Hydrogen or done some research on it?

Thanks

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Homina, I've done quite a bit of research on Molecular Hydrogen (MH) and got excited about it, especially because the antioxidant effect is rapid which works better with mHBOT vs. antioxidant supplements like CoQ10.

FWIW...I tried the tablets and purchased a hydrogen water machine which I used for ~ 6 months with no noticeable results.

Another one bites the dust!

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Bites the dust
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Team: Wow! It is great to hear you are doing so well Peimomma [Smile] . And S13!! That is awesome. I am still diving daily and I would say my bart, babs and Lyme is SO much better. Thank you to Phoiph, Digby, Peimomma etc on guiding me.

I wanted to share a little bit about Oxyhealth and how amazing they have been to me of late. For whatever reason, there was a manufacturing issue on my solace bladder exchange of late and because of the hassle they are upgrading me to a new Respiro. I run two businesses myself so I like to recognize when businesses that we are so dependent on with MHBOT, go the extra mile for their clients. I am SO GRATEFUL! Just wanted to share this in the event anyone was looking to buy a chamber from Oxy. They will partner with you to make sure you are happy!

Keep diving all.... XO

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Hello, Folks,

Checking in and reading the posts since my last visit.

As for air purifiers, I have three different kinds:

a Honeywell with washable filters for immediate results,

a Venta Airwasher that's primarily for humidifying and exposes the air to water so it also cleans the air,

and a BioGS (prefilter, HEPA filter, plus activated carbon). I use this when I'm sleeping.

I've been cleaning out a LOT of long-neglected things in my house, and needed the Honeywell to make the areas so I wouldn't have a sneezing fit just walking into them. For them, I ran it night and day.

On my chamber, I use a humidifier attached to the O2 concentrator, so all the O2 is filtered through water.

I use an older model Rainbow vacuum that filters everything through water.

These work for me.

Second, on customer service, I got GREAT service from Newtowne Hyperbarics when one of the inside zipper seams failed. I put the valves from the one I had on the new bladder and then shipped off the defective one. UPS picked it up today!

Third, I've had sleep problems for a long time---severe leg cramps that wake me up. I've come to the conclusion that these are a circulation problem.

I'm currently taking Veinesco for this issue---it is supposed to clean out the blood vessels by attacking the calcium-based biofilm surrounding a bacterium and then killing the bacterium.

I have no idea if this "bacterium" is Lyme or something else, but something that deals with biofilm and opens up the blood vessels is sure worth a good try!

I'm doing the mHBOT pretty much daily, and am consistently up to 1 hour with the oxygen mask on.
I seem to get better results if I do it early in the morning.

My back issue is pretty much fixed now--lots of chiropractor and physical therapy visits on top of keeping the mHBOT happening.

I'll check in more often, so I won't have such a long post......

Donna Campbell
Member # 52157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna Campbell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, thanks for sharing
Posts: 41 | From Newark | Registered: Jul 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Cass A
Could you clear something up ?
Are you filtering the air that comes into your chamber by two means? A humidifier and a Rainbow Vacuum cleaner? please clarify and I would like to see how you do this with a picture if possible
Thanks

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Would anyone be interested in buying a used chamber?

I believe I'm ready to let mine go. It's a Respiro 270.

Moderators, if this is against the rules, just let me know.

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homina, I believe CassA is saying when she vacuums that it is a unit that also filters the air through water. I did not get the impression that it is attached to the chamber.
Posts: 1687 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Charles12,

I always try to talk people out of selling their chamber unless they have been completely well for at least a couple of years, and even then it is good to keep it for less frequent use.

Bodies take a huge hit with this disease and can use the extra help over time as they age and face other challenges.

Just my opinion. If you are bent on selling it though, I will let people know. You can PM me with the details.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Even if I was not using my chamber anymore, I would not sell it during this Covid-19 issue. Great first line defense against the virus both prophylactically and if you were to get it.

JMHO

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Agreed, Digby!
dbpei
Member # 33574

I'm with you on that Digby! I am so glad I have my chamber during this pandemic!
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Digby I am assuming based on your previous posts That have recovered from the worst of lyme

So are you still maintenance diving and if so how often and for how long each time?

Thanks

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Homina, Kinda sorta. I went from home bound and using a wheelchair to traveling, hiking and biking from mHBOT and a Keto diet. I was feeling fantastic until I tried to do a mercury detox which set me back. I still hike on good days but no travel or serious, consistent exercise.

I find I do better using the chamber daily for 1 hour @ pressure ( I miss a few days a month) while I continue to figure out how to reverse the heavy metal redistribution that occured.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Digby
Okay Thanks
What did you do for a mercury detox that set you back and for how long?
Also maybe phoiph and others that have got back there lives could comment on what their maintenance program is like?
Thanks

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Homina, I did IV EDTA and pulsed, oral DMSA and Alpha Lipoic Acid. That was almost 2 years ago and I am still slowly getting over it.
carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Oh, Digby. That's so hard. I am sorry to hear it's been such a difficult journey ~ and especially when you were attempting to get better! Ugh.

I didn't have the same, but perhaps a similar experience. I was progressively getting better from my 18 months of antibiotics for Lyme and doing the GAPS diet. I ordered some Lactate free probiotics (bifidus only) and even though I took only a very small amount, it was the start of my SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth) starting in 2014. I have been dealing with that and extensive food sensitivities ever since. Getting better. Little by little ~ but yeah, its been a journey.

Mercury detox is a scary thing. And I'm assuming you were working with someone and not doing the IV EDTA by yourself.
Thinking of you.

Carbokitty

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Thanks Digby
What would you have done differently ?

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by Digby:
Even if I was not using my chamber anymore, I would not sell it during this Covid-19 issue. Great first line defense against the virus both prophylactically and if you were to get it.

JMHO

I actually had it back in April.

For me, it was like a mild case of the Flu. Rapid onset, which was interesting. I got over it very quickly, and I felt normal within a week.

Low fever.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Carbokitty, yes I was working with a chelation doc. It's sad that in the process of healing ourselves we sometimes get a nasty surprise. Who would guess that a probiotic could cause such trouble? Life is risky.

Homina, there was no way I could have known that I would have the reaction that I did to the detox. So I don't know other than with hindsight I wouldn't have done it at all.

Charles, did you continue with the chamber during the flu?

This topic comprises 59 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  57  58  59   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement