LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » birth control question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control question
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting ready to get my birth control filled. This is the first time I have taken it in a long time.

My cycle is due in about two weeks. I am planning on starting it right away and hold my period off for two weeks. They make seasonale which you can take for three months, so it doesn't seem like it should be a big deal to postpone my period for two weeks.

My cycles are hell and the bc will keep me from feeling like i am dying.

Anyway, can anyone see a problem with this?

I am going to ask my doc too, as soon as I can get hold of her.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Good point about it helping to relieve symptoms. Just be sure your LLMD or LL ND can guide you.

The hormones in birth control pills can be tricky with lyme.

A LL ND may be able to help with all that, though. A regular ND actually got me where periods were not killers - after decades of that being the case.

Best if you can find a LL ND, though, so they have a full picture.

Liver stress is a huge contributor to menstrual pain, by the way. But the herbs that a ND prescribed, over many months, totally cured that trouble for me. And I used to have to go to the ER for pain shots, it had been that bad at times.

For a start, Google: Tori+Hudson, ND, women's+health

You might call her office and see if she can recommend a ND near you. She is a national speaker on this topic so will likley know NDs from the entire continent.

She does not treat lyme but does know that it can be serious.

Amazon carries her book and you can see reader comments there, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone who got severe acne and other problems from Zaz. She got severe acne, complete with scars. I think she got severe candida also. She had to stop the drug.

I think taking those that are not monthly, but quarterly are stronger and probably have more side effects.

I personally would stay with the monthly meds .. the old way!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Corydalis, a good herb to help relieve pain.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Systemic enzymes are supposed to work too. They thin the blood a bit and relieve pain. (less clotting) I wish I had known about them way back when!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be aware that antibiotics may interfere with the effectiveness of birth control pills.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BC + Bart./Lyme = Disaster...at least, for me it was...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also estrogen increases the risk of blood clots. I got a DVT while on hormone replacement therapy. Not fun!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took bc before while sick with lyme and i didn't feel worse from it, in fact, my pms induced lyme flares went away.

I am hesitant to be on bc because of health effects but the pms is getting so bad it is starting to seem worth the risk.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Ask about the low dose monthly meds.

[group hug]

PS .. Candida/yeast causes bad PMS.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sutherngrl:
Also estrogen increases the risk of blood clots. I got a DVT while on hormone replacement therapy. Not fun!

Yup. I got a DVT on BC for painful periods, too. Turned out that I had an MTHFR 677T & prothrombin gene mutation. Oh, and Lyme disease, too.

I'd seek out herbals before messing with the hormones.

Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement