LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Appearance of Lyme/co arthritis on Xrays

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Appearance of Lyme/co arthritis on Xrays
peets
Member # 41289

Icon 5 posted      Profile for peets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the arthritic feeling that one can feel with Lyme and/or co-infections, is actual damage being done to the joints or is this just pain?

If there is damage, would it appear as such on an x-ray of the affected area?

--------------------
Lyme: Igenex positive on IGG WB, borderline Igenex positive on IGM WB; Babesia: Igenex indeterminate

Posts: 25 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would only appear on an MRI, not regular X-rays. Lyme can damage cartilage.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FamilyFive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FamilyFive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is at the point is shows on x-rays, but my ortho told me I came to him at the late stage. He said most with lyme come in much earlier, before you can see damage on x-ray.

I'd recommend you get an MRI instead of an x-ray. It provides more detail.

--------------------
FamilyFive

Posts: 218 | From Maryland | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been having incredible pain, cracking, ache all around my lower back and hips...if it's lyme arthritis, what's a good treatment plan? anyone had success with herbs, spices, pain killers? i'm seeing the regular MD today about this....ibuprofen and tramadol are the only things that lately take the ache/pain away for short periods of time....
Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine showed up on MRI only, except for an old sports injury, which shows up on regular xray and MRI.
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine shows up on MRI and xray -- that is what started my doctors taking my complaints seriously! Prior to that, they just told me I was hurting b/c I was overweight.

Anyway - Celebrex really helps me a lot. Neither motrin nor naproxen do anything for me at all.

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what did it show up as? what are the words in the report?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DanP .. try curcumin, MSM and glucosamine.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do essential oils, try the young living raindrop therapy, valor, lavender oils, etc

Works great for me!

Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the cartilage has been damaged sufficiently it will show as irregularity and narrowing of space between the bones on an x-ray and sometimes you can see shadows of bulges of cartliage that are abnormal in shape.

DanP, Ive had arthritis, its what drove me to the doc, then Lyme was found.

Ive developed very sharp pain in the tendons around one of my fingers. I started on MSM and took 10grams a day, 5 in the am and 5 in the pm and took all the pain away and reduced swelling.

Yesterday I ran out of msm and I ordered more. The pain returned this afternoon so it seems like it was working for me. I was advised to use this by one of the health consultants at the MMS Bulgaria clinic who treats lots of lyme folks with MMS. (dont' confuse MMS and MSM) She says that 10grams and often more a day is required. Its kind of expensive so I purchased the powder form and I will stuff my own capsules. I already had a capsule machine.Some people just mix it in juice or smoothies, or water. It tastes yuck.

Before this I had good results with the NSAID drug Diclofenac 50mg, its a prescription drug, typically used for arthritic patients. I gave some to my friend who tried it but it didnt work for him. Everyone is different. Id rather take MSM than a drug. Look into it. MSM is good for a lot of things.

also I had a lot of hip and lower back pain but that pretty much gone now. It was always worse at night and it was hard to sleep because of it. My protocol seems to be working after being on it for 5 weeks, i really dont have it anymore

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LP-I will see if I can dig up the MRI report. It's around here somewhere.
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine shows up as L5-S1 disc space narrowing and the impression is L5-S1 Severe Spondylosis.

I also have damage in my toes of my right foot, but I can't find that report, so I don't know exactly what it said.

I read that Lyme can particularly damage knees, but I have no problems at all with my knees.

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k84
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It showed up on my knee x-ray back in 2007-ish after complaining to my family doctor that my knees were swollen and hurt.

The x-ray report said something along the lines of:
"shows a slight effusion (swelling) of the cartilage".

Family doc had no clue what to do with this info and told me I just likely had an old injury or arthritis starting (I was only 23 at the time).

Posts: 106 | From Rural Michigan | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement