LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What thyroid tests mean

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What thyroid tests mean
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was some discussion of hypothyroid when Maddog got diagnosed with that.

I saw something today that said that high cholesterol could also be a sign of hypothyroid problems. I will get the link for that.

Meantime, I found this about interpreting thyroid tests.

http://thyroid.about.com/library/howto/htthyroid-test.htm

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are symptoms of hypothyroidism.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/thyroid-conditions/surprising-signs-of-hypothyroidism.aspx?xid=aol_eh-hypo_3_20130902_&aolcat=AJA&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D 370375

When your thyroid is low, bodily functions can slow down. Here are nine signs you may have hypothyroidism, according to David Borenstein, MD, of Manhattan Integrative Medicine.

1. Elevated Cholesterol
Many patients with hypothyroidism have elevated cholesterol. In many cases, thyroid medication lowers cholesterol to the point that heart medications like statins aren't needed.

2. Poor Concentration
Hypothyroidism patients suffer from brain fog, resulting in poor short-term memory. Thyroid treatment often reduces brain fog and improve memory issues.

3. A horase Voice
Low thyroid causes patients to retain water, which can lead to swelling of the vocal chords. Treating the thyroid reduces swelling and horaseness.

4. Muscle or Joint Pain
Hypothyroidism often brings on bilateral joint pain, meaning pain in both knees, both elbows, both shoulders, etc. This pain, felt deep in the bone, is not associated with arthritis.

5. Constipation
Lack of thyroid hormone in the gastrointestinal tract slows the motility of the colon, leading to constipation, ranging from mild to severe.

6. Menstrual Problems
Many hypothyroidism patients' menstrual cycles come to a halt for months at a time. Treating the thyroid can bring periods back within two to three months.

7. Increased Sensitivity to Cold
When your thyroid is low, less blood flows to your cells, which causes a feeling of coldness in the body.

8. Dry Skin and Hair
Hypothyroidism can result in dry skin in patches or all over the body. Patients may also lose hair from the scalp and eyebrows. Or, their hair may get thinner overall, with minimal or no hair loss.

9. Depression
Many people who suffer from depression have low thyroid function and are often lacking a particular hormone called T3.

Ann-OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Pardon my misspelling of the word for scratchy throat. The real spelling has a British word for donkey in it and I was not allowed to post that.

Got a good laugh out of that.

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Pocono Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this Ann-OH.

It amazes me how the reference ranges for various lab tests have changed.

When the original reference ranges were established, they were obtained by testing healthy people and averaging the results.

Now each lab averages the results they get from sick people, healthy people, and people under treatment.
[shake]

I've tried to find the "old" reference ranges but haven't been successful.

I'd bet we could find the cause of so many symptoms with more accurate ways to measure.

Thyroid is a prime example.
My labs were "normal". I'm hypothyroid! Armour has made a huge difference.

ho****ness had to try it [Big Grin]

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's hysterical - let me try p**** and ****nic and rehe****.

Ha - giggling can at least raise endorphin levels!

Oh, and by the way, Armour thyroid has caused me to be present again, so thanks for the post. I did test low thyroid.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ho****

h-o-a-r-s-e

Oh my, a-r-s-e isn't a bad word!

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If TSH is 2.5 (in normal range but considered hypothyroid by those in the know), but Free T3 & Free T4 are normal and have only one symptom that could be linked to hypothyroid, what does it mean?

Thanks,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this pdf states that it is subclinical hypothyroidism. In most cases associated with anti TPO antibodies

subclinical hypothyroidism is caused by autoimmune hypothyroidism that hasnot progressed to severe thyroid impairment.anyway, read where it says Raised TSH normal free t4 or free t3.

http://keck.usc.edu/en/Education/Academic_Department_and_Divisions/Department_of_Medicine/Education_and_Training/Internal_Medicine_Residency/Resources/Articles/~/media/Docs/Departm ents/Medicine/Chief%20Resident/Articles/Endocrinology/TFTs.pdf

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I consider a TSH over 2 is high. I know I feel awful when mine is over 2. Still don't understand why "they" raised the end of the range to 5.
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My TSH was 1.2 6 months ago, and I've never had positive antibodies to thyroid.

Is it possible that Lyme/coinfections have caused my pituitary to secrete varying amounts of TSH?

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to Medical....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement