LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Caffeine / coffee question ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Caffeine / coffee question ?
big lenny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for big lenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that caffeine is no good with chronic lyme patients- I usually have 2 cups a day of caffeinated coffee for the past 10 yrs at least .. Was goin to quit all together for one month an see if I notice any change in my health .
Any one have any experience with this?
Am I only wasting my time ( because I'm really not sure I can survive without a cup a day!)
Thank you all for the continued support and helpful insight!

Posts: 259 | From new york | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are going to get all sorts of answers. I will tell you my experience. I quit drinking coffee for a year. I dragged my butt for a year. Then I decided I needed to function. And there were worse lifestyle habits than 2 cups of coffee a day.

I drink my coffee. I enjoy my coffee. I function (albeit tired) and I do not let others opinions influence me on this one. [Cool] FWIW.

Posts: 1684 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also enjoy one cup a day. I am not going to restrict every pleasure in my life. No adverse effects for me. Enjoy your cup o Joe! DW
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one cup of 1/2 caf, 1/2 decaf per day. I have eliminated almost all the other fun stuff, and I do enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning. Makes me feel almost normal for a little while each day.

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

Posts: 234 | From NY originally registered in 2008 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear it kind of whips the adrenals into functioning without providing any assistance to them. Some (many?) with chronic lyme have very worn down adrenals. Adding coffee is a short-term energy fix that ultimately leads to more wearing down of the adrenals.

A certain level of adrenal functioning will absolutely be required to get through treatment (process the bug-killers, take out the trash from the body, ...). Hydrocortisone can substitute for adrenal function. In that sense, perhaps anyone can get through treatment with poor adrenals as long as hydrocortisone is supplemented at the proper level.

To some extent it just matters whether you desire to heal your adrenals.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy coffee as well.

I am sure the caffeine is not good for my adrenals, but coffee is an antioxidant. (studies)

I have a cup or two with breakfast-black.

Pre lyme I was a 9-10 cups per day.

I'm not worried about 1 or 2 cups.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Try GREEN TEA instead when wanting to avoid the adrenal rush that coffee gives.

The antioxidants in green tea are far better, IMO. Green Tea has certain health properties above that of coffee.

Green Tea has less caffeine but, even better, it also contains THEANINE so it's not a rush to endocrine system (which is toppled on its head with lyme).

So, one can obtain some alertness with Green Tea but it's not going to zoom to the moon. Still, best to not consume too late in the afternoon as there is still enough caffeine to interfere with a proper bedtime.

But the later cups from a teabag or infuser have less than the first cup, so keep that in mind. I can usually get four 16-oz cups from 2 tsp. of loose tea.

But do not buy the teas that you find in markets as you never know what additives they have, the strength of the caffeine, are usually in plastic bottle that leech petro-chemicals, etc.

It's easy and less expensive to make at home,have some ready to go (keep a condensed batch in fridge to dilute as desired) and loose tea even a better bargain. Detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/32152#000000

GREEN TEA - Links Set
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happydaychick
Member # 37799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happydaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW... I am surprised to see how many people responded favorably to this!! I still drink a 12 oz cup of coffee every morning with xylitol and coconut (or soy) creamer. Gave it up for 10 days and it was AWFUL. It was harder to give up the caffeine than it was alcohol or sugar!

I asked my LLNP about coffee... she said she would prefer that I did not drink it at all, BUT as long as I limited it to one cup a day and use coconut creamer and no sugar, she was not gonna tell me to stop.

Thanks for posting this question!!

Posts: 80 | From New England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
In the self-care portion of Dr. B's guidelines it states: "No Caffeine"

If we "need" it, chances are our adrenals are trashed and we are calling upon "emergency crews" that really just continue to damage adrenal function. Although, with the Theanine in Green Tea, that adrenal stress factor is at diminished.

The acid in coffee is also really bad for many stomachs. The acid in Green Tea is much more kind yet that is also to be considered.

Still, if one is "on" coffee, I'd never suggest going cold turkey but very gradual shifts down, and for the flavor, substituting organic decaf, gradually.

I've had to stop coffee several times in my life. It was a very strong addiction but I'm thinking it was more that I just had no adrenal function to speak of and it was a spiral down in disguise of that short lift with each cup. It lied to me, basically. It was no help to my body or brain, really - and perpetuated an ulcer for longer than I had realized.

But I don't get any of those lies or drops or revs from Green Tea. I get a nice, solid support and lots of choice. The Green Earl Grey and Green Jasmine are especially nice.

Coffee can have benefits, of course, but I think many with lyme (in such a weakened state) just can't tolerate its strength.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If we crave caffeine, what our body may really be needing:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually can't make it without coffee. Just a fact for me at this point in time.

I remember way back when this was first starting for me, I took flower pollen tablets and I had all the energy I needed and didn't need coffee.

So you might consider playing around with options, including having your adrenals checked, and check in with a doctor about it.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porsche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The acid problem is solved easily. Just put 1/8 tsp baking soda per 8oz. This should make it just slightly alkaline. I do the same thing with diet soda. No more acid [Smile] I can't taste any difference at all either.

I don't drink a hole cup of coffee at one time. I like to put it in the fridge and then just drink sips throughout the day because I like the taste of it cold better than hot. I also add a little cinnamon, vanilla (tsp), and Kahlua (tsp) Yum!

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy 2 cups of half and half (half decaf and half real thing) every morning. I try to buy the organic coffee, but it is hard to find organic decaf around here.

When I switched to total decaf, it seemed to result in some constipation for me. I also have lots of green tea and herbal teas throughout the day.

Has anyone here heard of bulletproof coffee? It is supposed to be very good for you, but wow - it is pricey! My LLND wanted me to order some MCT oil from that company and I saw their section on coffee.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can make bullet proof coffee with coconut oil, it's a medium chain triglyceride oil, and grass fed butter such as Kerry Silver. You don't have to buy it from the bulletproof coffee site. Their prices are really overpriced.

Vitacost sells MCT oil for $9.19 and you can buy organic fair trade, decaf coffee online for less.

Why did your LLND think it would be good for you? It would seem to me that it would rev up your nervous system and, perhaps, stress it.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLND wanted me to use the bulletproof MCT oil (1 tsp 1 - 2 x day) I think it is a small dose. It is supposed to do a lot more than give you energy. It is very good for the brain and cells.

Hopefully, I will feel better when I start this. I guess it is an alternative to coconut oil. She said to use it in my soups, salad dressing, etc.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's true it does give you energy.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my research throughout the years I believe one cup of coffee is ok. But I would also add, you should drink it black (hot or cold).

In my opinion the benefits of a cup a day outweigh the negatives.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't live life in a virtual straight jacket. Enjoy a cup and see how you do!
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can try giving it up and see what happens.

It never really seemed to make much of a difference in how I felt.

In fact, I think the caffeine actually helps my headaches.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Michael. I wish I could drink it, but my adrenals have been shot for years, so it is no longer worth it for me. It has taken me a long time to get them to where they are now. Now coffee enemas, that's a different story (lol)!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to drink almost a pot each day. Loved the stuff. I stopped after reading Dr. B's guidleines a few years back.

After a while, I would take the occasional cup of coffee. At first it seemed like a normal coffee rush.

But a few weeks after my first cup while treating Lyme, it gave me intense sweats, chills,anxiety and then a bad crash. I was only having a cup here and there.

After a while, I find my own energy. It sucks sometimes, not having a nice cup of energy to get me going in the morning, but I have adjusted fairly well.

I love coffee. But I suspect I have adrenal issues, and I take too many abx to fill my stomach with acid.

I have been considering coffee enemas, alongside parasite TX. But that is not such a creature comfort now is it.... Unless you're a bit weird!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MichaelTampa wrote:
"Hydrocortisone can substitute for adrenal function. In that sense, perhaps anyone can get through treatment with poor adrenals as long as hydrocortisone is supplemented at the proper level."

Shouldn't hydrocortisone be avoided, as a steroid? Is it an exception, as a natural steroid?

Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your adrenals are supposed to make a certain amount of this each day, and your body should have that running through its system each day, and your immune system is made to function normally with that amount.

So, for those in the situation where adrenals aren't making the amount they should, just adding the difference, is not thought to be a problem, even in the "lyme literate" circles. It is an exception because it's supposed to be there in the amount you're using.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of my LLNP's have told me my one cup of organic low acid coffee in the morning is fine.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quit my 1 cup a day for a month and I felt awful. Dr. N says it constricts blood vessels and helps with POTS. I think that is what was going on with me.
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement