LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » FLU Season is coming! anyone getting the Flu Vaccine (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: FLU Season is coming! anyone getting the Flu Vaccine
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for me. I've been fortunate to only have the flu once *knock on wood* in my 37 years. So based on that and how I feel about the flu vaccine, I don't think it is worth the risk.
Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still want that shot???

GMO's in new vaccines....

http://www.naturalnews.com/039013_flu_vaccine_insect_virus_gmos.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I allways get the shot. I have not had trouble with it. Maybe till this year.

I was in a wreck and got the flu shot within a week of each other.

I have been worse than in years extreme joint pain everywhere.

Neck stif and poping ,back messed up , left shoulder like my arm will fall off, feet hurting and poping,left hand like a bone is broken in my rist,ect.

I just don't know why i am so bad off now!!!

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope! Did it one year and got very sick. I just have a really strong gut feeling it is not a good idea for chronic lyme patients. I know that going on "gut" isn't 'medical proof', but after 17 years I just have to listen to it sometimes.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carmen:

Another thing is to keep your vitamin D3 levels up.
I like to keep it around 70 to 80.

YES!
There is an article about a care facility whose patients were getting D3 supplements, and those patients did not get influenza.

But their other group of patients DID NOT get D supplements, and many of them got the flu.
I'll come back and add a link when I find the article.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also heard that nursing home patients receiving B12 shots have a much lower incidence of infections.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is mercury in the flu shot. Mercury, no matter how small, is the worse thing you could possibly give someone whose immune system is compromised. It's extremely toxic.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazyhavanese
Member # 42617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhavanese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD advised me not to get it for the last few years. Last year I was very sick with the flu and some Lyme symptoms reared their ugly head. it took me over month to be functional. I got it from my husband who felt better in a week!

So this year I had my flu shot in Sept.and I have had no problems and hopefully will be more guarded against that nasty flu.

I also take lots of Vit C,etc. but it doesn't aways help. I think the flu shot has gotten a bad reputation from the Lyme community. Believe me if you had a case of the flu like I did you might think twice abut getting the flu vaccinaton.

Posts: 17 | From Long island | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we all got the flu already. I slept one whole day, my husband 2 days, my daughter is starting now.

She still hasn't missed school and still riding her bike in freezing temperatures to go to school. Let's see.

None of us have lyme anymore.

During lyme, we never caught any flu, nor even colds, that I remember. Ever since lyme got dormant, we catch colds here and then, like other mortals.

Vit D3 is a big help, we are taking MMS homeopathic too (didn't prevent the flu, but so far not too bad), propolis.

I'd rather take the flu than any vaccine. I have no doubt about that. My parents keep taking this awful vaccine, they get the flu anyway.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mercury is only the tip of the iceburg of nasty stuff in the flu shot. Best to fully look into it.

Your best defense against the flu is having sufficiently high blood levels of vitamin D3 and vitamin c.

My mom got paralized from the waste down after the 1976 flu vaccine. She recovered but some remain paralized to this day.

Lyme compromises the immune system. Vaccines only comprimise it more as clearly seen in those cases of autism that are vaccine induced. I watched children die in hopsital after polio vaccines due to total paralysis and swelling of the brain.

Oh the things they don't tell you. Ive been there to see them first hand.

Working to build my system is my approach.

Cant tell you how many people I have seen get sick after getting the flu shot. Ive also seen many die from the complications of flu after having the shot, and these are generaly the elderly who get the flu even after getting the vaccine. I won't go near it with a 10 foot pole.

Flu Vaccine: What Else is In There?

The flu shot also contains the following ingredients: sodium phosphate – buffered isotonic sodium chloride solution, formaldehyde, octylphenol ethoxylate, and gelatin, according to the FDA. The influenza virus is grown in chicken eggs and scientists collect the virus and inactivate it by using formaldehyde. They then purify the influenza virus and suspend it in a sugar solution before splitting it with oxtylphenol ethoxylate. After splitting, the scientists purify the virus once more, then suspend it in a salt solution (sodium phosphate – buffered isotonic sodium chloride) and use gelatin to help keep the viruses stable and potent during storage.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Brussels:

I'd rather take the flu than any vaccine. I have no doubt about that.

-
Amen

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree about not getting the vaccine when you have any kind of illness. But there are good public health reasons for healthy people to get vaccinated.

Many of those vaccinated will still come down with the flu, but if it statistically reduces the number of carriers in a population, this will protect those who are more vulnerable to infection. (Good point about family members of cancer patients needing to avoid it, though.)

We agreed that my husband, who has TBI, wouldn't get it, but that I, as a healthy spouse, would. I was easily able to get the preservative-free (i.e., mercury free) vaccine.

Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crawgir1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crawgir1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read some articles lately about the flu vaccine; one says that last year's vaccine was largely ineffective, particularly in people over 65. Another one said that the flu vaccine has a very poor performance overall. I have always gotten the flu shot, but now that I'm in treatment for LD, I think I'll pass.
Posts: 123 | From Pawleys Island SC | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The flu knocks you down for a few days, if you take enough vitamins, propolis, etc.

The vaccine may knock you down forever.

Sorry to know, Carmen, that your mom got paralised... Did she recover after or was it permanent? That's a shame.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently at a new doc's office (not Lyme related). The nurse was asking me a bunch of questions.

She asked if I got the flu shot. I said I did not. Then she asked me if I believed in the flu shot!

I said "Is that an actual question on your form??" She said it was! I said that no, I did not believe in the flu shot as I had enough crap already floating around in my body and I didn't need more. I told her that I just try to keep my Vit D level up.

I didn't go into detail regarding DD having a horrendous reaction to the flu vaccine years ago. It was recommended for her b/c of her asthma. Never did it after that.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She recovered after about 3 or 4 weeks from the paralysis if I recall correctly. She didnt tell me about it till a few years after it happened.. thats my mom for ya. I think it had some stuff in it for the swine flu. Like I said, about 500 didnt recover. You can search it on the net for flu vaccine 1976.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Anthropologista, my parents take the vaccines every year, and almost every year suffer from awful flu. They are both more than 74 years old, in bad health.

The flu shot does not protect them, and I wonder why they keep taking it. They say it is free and their doc recommends it for them.

My father sometimes takes a month to get over the flu. And what is crazy, is that the symptoms may start DAYS after the flu shot, which makes me think that it is CAUSED by the shot!!!

They think docs are gods, so they believe they would be worst without the shots.

If you know how SMALL a virus is, in the limit of being just an organic molecule or alive, you will wonder how to 'kill' it or deactivate it.....

A bacteria is a HUGE being in comparison, a complete developed life more close to us with internal organized organs, than to a virus. It is much easier to kill a bacteria, that is alive, than a virus, that becomes 'alive' only in the presence of a host.

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An ND I used to see recommended

1 tablet Gripp-Heel (Blue snowflake on white box)

1 tablet Engystol (Orange swirl on yellow box)

Once weekly throughout the winter.

She said it was the natural version of the flu vaccine, it boosted and stimulated the immune system.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard some people already have the flu this year!!! I got a really bad cold about three weeks ago, it lasted 2-1/2 weeks.

After that sinus problems, (still)...

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see some people already have the (Flu):

Here's some things that may help a little>

Stay home and rest

•Drink plenty of liquids - this will help to replace the fluid lost from fever and sweating.

•Take medication for your symptoms - your pharmacist can help you choose the right over-the-counter medicine. (Make sure you mention if you have a chronic illness or are taking other medication.)

•Gargle - to help a sore throat, gargle with a glass of warm water mixed with a half-teaspoon of salt. Throat lozenges are also effective.

•Wash your hands often to protect others

Eat:

Chicken Soup
Popsicles
Vegetable Juice
Garlic
Honey
Yogurt
Ginger
Hot Tea
Bananas
Toast
Mushrooms
Selenium - Brazil nuts

Meal Replacement Drinks
If your appetite has returned, try one of these to make sure you're getting proper nutrients and calories. Look for lactose-free drinks with at least 6 grams of protein and that are low in sugar. Flavors like strawberry and chocolate may make getting essential vitamins, nutrients, and calories more attractive.

Orange juice with the pulp - vitamin C and folic acid, will help to boost immunity.

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the flu vaccine (preservative free, single dose version) right before Thanksgiving and did fine, no side effects.

My very well known LLMD and my immunologist recommended that I get it this year as I have a severe immune deficiency (CVID).

My immunologist is one of the top in the country so I trust her fully. She says that research on immune deficient people only has shown that can help protect me from the flu and reduce my chances of developing pneumonia this winter.

For me, a severe virus like flu or a pneumonia could easily be life threatening. These are the top reasons why people with immune deficiencies die.

So I got the shot and my family also got it to further protect me. None of us had a reaction.

When I was working, I always got the shot. The only time I got sick was my first year of college when I forgot to get the shot! I was so miserable, It almost set me back in school. I never forgot a shot again.

Last year I didn't get a shot and I got the flu. I was sick for over a month with high fevers, cough, body pain, could hardly eat, etc, and was bed ridden. I had to lean on my mom to care for me because I was totally helpless. It was horrible. I never want to repeat that or worse.

The flu is not something to mess around with when you are already sick with Lyme and co. and an immune deficiency.

I also took all the immune boosting herbs and supplements and it wasn't enough to protect me.

So for those on the fence about getting the shot. Don't be scared. Not everyone has reactions, if they did, no one would get the shot and it would be pulled off the market!!! Most people are fine.

It helps me so I'm grateful for it.

There's 2 pages of anti vaccine info here so please, no one attack my post. Thank you. Remember we are all here to help each other and share info and experiences EQUALLY. Thanks

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Sammy, If anyone attacks your reply, so be it. Remenber, everyone has an opinion on everything we discuess here.

Thank you for sharing! I'm glad no one in your family got sick from the shot.

Keep up the vit. C........

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Sammy, I think the difference is that you are severely immune-compromised. I rarely get anything communicable, so I am better off without the vaccines.

Some with Lyme are like me, and some are like you. So we must take care of ourselves in our own unique ways!

[Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement