LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » finally got my cardiac results....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: finally got my cardiac results....
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they finally called. I was going to call them today. She said the doctor had been exceptionally busy and goes over every patient's exam in detail. Good news...

Pumping action throughout heart is good. No blockages. And no enlarged heart either. Everything is normal.

Said doctor feels its my weight. I'm now 208 and 5 feet. Waaayy too much.

They are going to send me a paper copy of the results.

However I am still very sore from the echo and tender to touch. I'm nauseous and dont want to eat and if I do I get stomach pain and diahrrea. I'm really sore.

My breast still hurt.

This may take awhile to heal. She really was way too rough.

At least now I can relax.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's good news, right? if you are still reallyl sore, maybe you should call and complain.
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news that your heart is pumping good.

But I wonder if the nurse bruised your ribs when you had that test. It sounded like it was really painful.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha...painful aint the word. By the time she finished I walked out doubled over and could barely sit in the car on the half hour drive home. I couldn't lay on that side and had to take a vicodin!!!

She was abusive thats what.

I told my sister about it and she said complaining would do no good.

I'm wondering tho if she could have done Internal damage. Ya think??

And I know, I know, another thing randi is worrying about. Mom always said I would worry if the sun was going to come up tomorrow or the seas would still roll.....

[ 09-24-2013, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: randibear ]

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt she could have permanently damaged anything. You prob have costochonditis.

Any plans on how to change your diet and LIVE?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

He said to exercise and keep my mouth shut..

Oh yeah that will work....uh huh

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
That is terrible advice, on its face. Just terrible, in so many ways.

Like exercise has never come to your mind. But the RIGHT kind that will be enjoyable, not taxing and will work in light of lyme, etc. THAT is the key.

[For new readers here, aerobic exercise can be dangerous for those with lyme for several reasons. There are safer methods, though.]

As for keeping your mouth shut, that's the worst advice ever for food is our FOOD. We must eat. He might have better handed you a copy of one of Stephen Sinatra's books or the South Beach Diet as examples of good advice for living.

He should have been sure you are clear as to why / how gluten is so dangerous for many in our situation (inflammation, etc.). But I doubt he understands the inflammation connection to weight gain. Same with GMO foods, the inflammation they can cause certainly can add many pounds.

He could have suggested cooking classes for certain cuisines that are healthful, with local chefs or instructors who have particularly fine tuned recipes to be the most healthful reincarnations.

You could have given you a list of all the Tai Chi, Restorative Yoga &/or (moderate) Pilates classes around. A list of the walking trails, folk dances, etc. He could have had some fun with this and offered something of inspiration.

A good doctor should be inspiring, for crying out loud. Not mouth off ignorant judgemental statements. He has no concept of all the factors involved in weight for those with certain chronic infections that derail endocrine function.

But you can choose to take his scolding or keep your head up high and proceed in a brighter wisdom.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
While I think he should have suggested a couple specific books for delicious foods - and fun movement therapy options, you might have given him a copy of this book (lyme is featured, by the way):

Site: http://www.potbellysyndrome.com/

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, and Heart Disease.

Book link, you can look inside the book and read readers' reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159120058x/ref=nosim/httpwwwpotbel-20

This book uncovers some connections but does not offer suggestions such as ADRENAL SUPPORT, which is absolutely essential for anyone with lyme regarding weight control.

Also would have been nice had the authors discussed Mitochondria support through certain foods, so that energy will be our friend.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Change WHAT you are eating.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

If I change anymore I won't be eating anything!!!! I eat meat vegetables and a few bites of yogurt...

I have gotten back to walking the mile around the lake.

I told him this and he said well obviously you're still eating too much and not exercising enough.

Not much else I can do...

What can I do? Starve...

--------------------

daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Randi- I'm in no real position to give anyone weight advice since now I'm struggling to put weight on and was struggling to lose it before this year!

But if there's one thing I would tell you to do- it's switch to all organic versions of what you are already eating and see if that helps. You might be able to find a farmer's market near you or a CSA- or maybe you have a good natural store nearby?

This processed, GMO, pesticide laden stuff they sell us as "food" in the regular grocery stores cause so much damage- including weight gain and severe gut problems.

Plus our infections cause inflammation, metabolism/thyroid problems, and obviously constant pain and fatigue don't help us be able to exercise the way we could if our bodies weren't fighting infections all the time.

So that's my two cents- maybe it would be less headache to just make one switch from conventional to all organic and eat what you have been eating and what you like to eat (only the organic versions of it)- maybe give it a month and see how you feel?

Glad your test was ok though and sorry you are hurting from it

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by randibear:

I told him this and he said well obviously you're still eating too much and not exercising enough.

That's dumb.
Physicians should know that thyroid problems can make weight loss just about impossible.

Or was it your husband who was saying this?

I lost ten pounds in two months without even trying, when I took coconut cream concentrate and green tea capsules.
Both of those seem to help the thyroid and increase metabolism.

Coconut cream concentrate is about 70% coconut oil.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Some vegetables are starches... so watch for that. Carol and daynise have some good ideas there.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

I eat carrots and other stuff. Love beets. Dont eat potatoes rice or white things.

I'd kill somebody for a.hamburger. hate those veggie. Burgers.

I do eat some eggs and drink a little almond milk.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Sounds good.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

Blech....

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I meant "healthy!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'd kill somebody for a.hamburger. hate those veggie. Burgers."

There's nothing wrong with red meat.
It's not going to affect your cholesterol much, and it has some things that you need, like carnitine.

Benefits of Carnitine
http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/vitamin-supplements/carnitine.htm

"...carnitine is involved with energy production in the cell.

"The major benefits of supplementation are those to the heart.
Research has shown that carnitine benefits patients with heart failure and chest pain, and protects patients from further heart damage following a heart attack."

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The CLA from free range, grass-grazed cattle is also very important. (CLA is conjugated linoleic acid). It is not present in the stock yard, factory raised (GMO corn fed) cattle.

The key is to find organically raised beef and get from a butcher's counter where they grind the meat right there. All good markets will be able to grind their own, it would be back in the meat department / butcher's station.

Or deal with a reputable certified organic cattle rancher who can ship to places where grocers may not carry it. There are several good ones.

Avoid buy pre-ground packaged meats as they can contain all kinds of chemicals.

BUFFALO is also very good.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

randi.. you're not eating bread?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I never even think of bread when I think of hamburgers. LymeToo brings up a point I forgot.

I assume you are gluten-free. You can still enjoy a hamburger, just without the bun . . . or find a certified gluten-free bun. Some are better than others but I find them not worth it, really because they USUALLY turn into simple sugars in the process of becoming any kind of bun.
-

randibear
Member # 11290

nope, no bread...waffles, pancakes, cookies, pies, you know....the good stuff...

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

It's hard for me to imagine gaining weight on proteins and non-starchy vegetables.

At one time, I weighed 45 lbs more than I do right now. When I went to strictly vegetables and proteins, my weigh fell off.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It is possible to gain weight even below calorie requirements. The POTBELLY book explains how that happens for many with lyme. It's really fascinating to see their work.

Still, there are things that can help.

I don't think of "good stuff" as "bread...waffles, pancakes, cookies, pies," though as that I cringe.

It took me a while years ago to gradually trade what I then considered good stuff to what delights me now with cuisine - bursting with variety and flavor. There is plenty and it's delicious - all gluten and processed-free. Free of gluten, dairy, GMOs, etc. Real food.

It was a wonderful lesson to look beyond the typical US diet / food industry. Our diets can be rich in flavor and variety and still be fabulous.

And, forget about diet to loose weight. Just focus on the quality, the right quantity to fuel you in moderate action - and it will work out. It's not all about weight. When the detail in the PotBelly book and adrenal support -- and attention to infections are all involved, it will work out over time.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

True, keebler! I feel much better when I eat a healthy diet.

I haven't read Wheat Belly, but I have read parts of it. I would think it's quite an eye-opener.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Books:

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER

and

http://www.glutenfreecat.com/category/healthy-living/

Very nice photos and descriptions in this Book Review of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936608677/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1936608677&linkCode=as2&tag=glufrecat-20

LADLED: NOURISHING SOUPS FOR ALL SEASONS

- by Kimberly Harris (December 18, 2012)

over 50 reader reviews, a near perfect composite 5 star rating.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Throw away (okay, well, recycle) your scale. Unless you have an issue with the heart or lungs carrying water and need to weigh everyday, I suggest NOT getting on a scale every day or even every week or even every month.

The best thing I ever did to come to view food as my friend was get rid of my scale - and just carry on in a healthful manner. It has worked out beautifully (in so many ways) over at least 15 years now. Should have done that as a teenager.

There are still plenty of opportunities to jump on a scale here and there just for an idea. But we know when we are taking care of our cells and when we are not. That is the goal. Take care of our cells the best we can, in the most flavorful and healthful manner so that food can be a blessing.

Getting to know all the spices and garden herbs of the world's cuisines also important. I can't tolerate spicy-hot but there are still so many work, in the right combinations.
-

randibear
Member # 11290

Well I'm tired of getting on that scale and it says "one at a time" or it starts playing "I love a parade".......

Hate it when it does that.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

[lol] Randi

Only you are in charge of that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad yours came back good. I had an echo the other day and mine was very painful too on my ribs. I told my technician that it was hurting me and I was near tears. She was pushing the transducer so hard on straight bone.

It wasn't necessary for my person to be so rough either. I don't even have any chest to get in the way. LOL.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Whew summer thank you. I was beginning to think there was somethjng else going on.

Course my husband called me a wimp...but I swear I thought she was going to rupture something. That was on tbe 16th and I still cant sleep on that side and still have pain.

When I told my sister about it cause her being a radiologist and all she informed me that it wouldnt do to complain. She said they would say I'm so overweight that she had to work around large breasts and fat. Truth....

But I still say I aint having it done again...

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'm sure that is part of the story, randi. But I'm also sure that techs can get too rough sometimes.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Next time, request a technician who is skilled at working with "fibromyalgia" patients. There are times when that term can help us.

Although many/most of us long ago were misdiagnosed as having the umbrella / trash basket diagnosis of "FM",

and we know that "FM" is very often caused by lyme or other stealth infections, there are many technicians who do understand the kinds of pain involved with "FM" and that extra care or slight differences in technique of various procedures can help.

When "FM" is used as a descriptor to access better care, that term can be very helpful. Many (if not most, or even all) with lyme have "FM" as a symptom / descriptor.
-

[ 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I use the FM term when needed, yep, sure do!

-
randi.. Have you tried apple cider vinegar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpVkTNI_b9Q

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

I cant imagine drinking straight acv

I would think it would tear my stomach up something fierce.

And right before bed?? Ackkkk the reflux would be horrible wouldnt it?

--------------------

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since going gluten, dairy and starch free I have lost over 20 lbs. You are probably eating the wrong types of "healthy " foods. What does a typical day of meals look like for you?
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

No, randi. I think it says 1 or 2 tbsp in a 16 oz glass of water. (I would begin with 1 tsp.)

Watch the video again!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement