LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PROTANDIM Supplement???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PROTANDIM Supplement???
shadow13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadow13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys. Has anyone heard of this PROTANDIM supplement? The only info I can find about it is how rich you can get by selling it. Someone gave me a pamphlet about it and said it is widely known in the Lyme community. I did a search and didn't find a thing. Thanks for your help.

shadow13

--------------------
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 830 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatriotM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatriotM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently taking Protandim for my Lyme (and Parkinson's Disease). My LLMD thinks it has a lot of promise and has had good success with it.
Posts: 177 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rowingmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowingmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use all these herbs as separate supplements, except bacopa. Just checked Wikipedia and found this:

"Protandim consists mainly of a blend of 5 herbal ingredients (amounts per caplet listed in parentheses):

Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) extract (225 mg)
Bacopa (Bacopa monniera) extract (150 mg)
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) root (150 mg)
Green tea (Camellia sinensis) extract (75 mg)
Turmeric (Curcuma Ionga) extract (75 mg)"

Milk thistle, ashwagandha and green tea are some of Stephen Buhner's recommended herbs and tumeric is a good anti-inflammatory.

--------------------
13 yo DX PANS/Tourette's/Asperger's/ADHD treated for Igenex positive bartonella/IND lyme with 2 years of abx treatment. Weaned off abx April 2013 at 80% improvement. Continuing with Buhner bartonella/babesia protocols. Aug 2014 99% improvement.

Posts: 265 | From Canada, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who is taking it. I may try it next month.

From what I've read about it, I would not buy the ones that are not from the MLM because the other ones are made in China. No thanks on that!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Nrf2 Activator by Xymogen, which is very similar. I currently don't need it but I know for a couple years it was pretty useful for me. I always energy tested good for the Xymogen product and not so much for the Protandim.

The MLM and marketing coming from this company seems a bit slimy to me, just as a comment which could be separate from the quality of the product itself.

Both products are expensive, by the way.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Protandim is about $50 a month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45VyAHrZ8I

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Protandim and NRF2.

It's suppose to boost glutathione.

I had problems with NRF2 (I don't do well with black pepper, be sure to read the ingredients).

Protandim may have made a small difference (I probably took it for a year, it wasn't a miracle, but it wasn't bad either).

My current doc says whey protein and alpha lipoic acid is best for raising glutathione. They are cheaper, so I'm using those now.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Be sure of that bottle, check the lot number against detail from the parent site after reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protandim

Protandim (Wikipedia)

Excerpt:

Voluntary recall

In December 2012, LifeVantage issued a voluntary recall of select lots (10 lots in total comprising 247,896 bottles) of Protandim due to potential health risks arising from the possible inclusion of small metal fragments in the final product.[20][21]

In February 2013, the company announced that it was extending the recall to include additional lots of the product, estimating the total cost of the recall at $5.9 million.[22]

- Full article at link above.

----------------

The parent link and others should also be consulted.

There are many similar adrenal formulas by various manufacturers.

This one does seem to be a nice formula (minus the manufacturing problems), although, the Bacopa monniera could be too stimulating for some with the adrenal exhaustion from lyme. It is similar to Gotu Kola (which is not as stimulating).

Best guided by a LL ND or LL L.Ac.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
**edited off-topic post**

[ 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The Wilson adrenal book here is very valuable for anyone addressing any kind of adrenal support:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

shadow13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadow13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all of you for the info. Keebler, after reading about the recalls for metal fragments, it makes me leery of using this stuff. I can see my next MRI ..... little pieces of metal trying to escape my body. MichaelTampa, what is "MLM?"

--------------------
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 830 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Multi-Level Marketing. In brief, it is a marketing scheme where you charge a lot and then try to convince people who want to buy the stuff that they want to sell it to others (in exchange for a kick-back), who in turn might also be convinced they want to sell it to others (kickbacks all up the line), and so on.

It is used for various health and other products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelTampa:

Multi-Level Marketing. In brief, it is a marketing scheme where you charge a lot and then try to convince people who want to buy the stuff that they want to sell it to others (in exchange for a kick-back), who in turn might also be convinced they want to sell it to others (kickbacks all up the line), and so on.

It is used for various health and other products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing

-
Mike, I can think of a few MLM products I cannot live without. Protandim is not on that list.. yet. But I think it's unfair to call all MLM's "schemes." They often have the best products out there. The ones that everyone else tries and tries to copy.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading awhile back that there was something off on the the protandim research.

Here's the info:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/brief-update-protandim/

I've done protandim for an extended period of time and NRF2 and didn't notice much difference.

Protandim DID agree with me better and I didn't notice any bad side effects at least.

What's helped me most is Whey protein (much cheaper), and taking supplements that target MTHFR problems. It's much cheaper and I do notice a benefit.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I never did try the product, but I can say that every product has naysayers.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MFRphysicaltherapist
Member # 43598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MFRphysicaltherapist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re sciencebasedmedicine.org, if you investigate the writer who has written about Protandim, Harriet Hall, you will find that she writes for several skeptic magazine/websites. She is opposed to ALL alternative approaches to healing.

So, an unbiased source? Completely skewed info. All you need to to do is research Nrf2 and oxidative stress on pubmed.gov.

Protandim is already proven to be a Nrf2 activator. Biogen used it as a comparison in their preliminary studies as a comparison and actually published that Protandim was more powerful than anything else. Blood doesn't lie.

See if your product brand is on pubmed. Probably not. Not even your multivitamins.

BUT, if there WERE alot of people invesitigating these things like they do protandim, you better believe there will be skeptic bloggers drawing you to thei website.

In a few years there will be more Nrf2 activator products and your doc will be prescribing you a synthetic one likely.

Just go with one that has research claiming how well it works. As a publicy traded company, LV cannot make claims they cannot prove.

Try it or don't try it, but get all the facts from valid sources.

In Health,
K

[ 04-29-2014, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

--------------------
www.tavototalhealth.com

Posts: 3 | From Silver Spring, MD | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

I just read the second study. Here it is (these subjects had double the daily dose):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22268125/

"...Additionally, among those with AUDs, no significant changes in BAL oxidative stress indexes, epithelial growth factor, fibroblast growth factor, interleukin-1β, or interleukin-10 were observed regardless of drug type received.

Plasma thiobarbituric acid reactive substances, a marker of lipid peroxidation, decreased significantly over time among AUD subjects randomized to placebo (P < 0.01).

These results suggest that Protandim for 7 days in individuals with AUDs who are newly abstinent does not alter alveolar epithelial permeability..."

[ 04-29-2014, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

MFRphysicaltherapist
Member # 43598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MFRphysicaltherapist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie, yes. you'll see that the study was a 7 day study. meaning that in 7 days, this product did not reduce OS. In 30 days, it reduces it average 40% in 30 days. (first study)

The placebo group, who were alcoholics and had to stop drinking, had a reduction in OS bc they stopped drinking. There is a note in the paper that says some of the subjects could not abstain therefore couldn't finish the study.

If you Youtube Dr, Joe Mccord, there is an hour long segment in which he goes through every study and explains the results and what they mean. Helps people see things in full context. Gotta keep digging.

[ 04-29-2014, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

--------------------
www.tavototalhealth.com

Posts: 3 | From Silver Spring, MD | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone posting - please break up posts into 2-3 lines max so everyone who wants to can read them here - thx -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Here's some more info on the studies. I think there's very good critical analysis going on here by a person who studies supplements:

Protandim Does it Work? Critical Review of Research
http://supplement-geek.com/protandim-research-review-lifevantage/

The comment section has a lot of good, thoughtful discussions in it too.

I took protandim for several months. For me, it was just another expensive supplement and I didn't notice much difference on it. It didn't seem to hurt anything either. I just found my money better spent elsewhere.

auntieree65
Member # 49694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for auntieree65     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Protandim for 3 years and noticed a huge improvement because of the increase in glutathione. I was even able to go off of Prozac after 23 years and 4 previous failed attempts. Much lower inflammation and am off all synthetic medications.

There have been more studies on PubMed published. I am a geek and the science is important to me. Just go to pubmed.gov and type in Protandim in the search field. I have done a lot of reading about NrF2 protein so shoot me a PM.

(breaking up the post for easier reading for many here)

[ 01-19-2017, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 1 | From Wakefield, NH | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Welcome.. but be aware that you cannot sell anything on this site.

Just a heads up.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

smileynot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smileynot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo.. Are you saying that Protandim is made in China? I've been approached and several lymr sufferers are being targetd by folks selling this MLM product.. what is the REAL scoop??
Posts: 120 | From nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement