LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can't Lose Weight... related?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't Lose Weight... related?
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey folks,

Sorry for post blasting lately - I'm new to lyme and everyone here's been so helpful with all my questions! :-)

So I went from a very high grains, high carb, low meat diet to a paleo diet... no grains, no dairy, mostly healthy meats, veggies and fruit here and there.

I've also been exercising pretty regularly - even though I have been so tired! I do about 3 miles 2 or 3 times/week.

Which compared to the folks I work with is nothing - but for a sick person it's huge!

I'm a little (ok a lot) frustrated that I haven't lost anything in 2 months.

My scale does body fat percentage also, and that is what I am going by... it's EXACTLY the same.

My clothes fit exactly the same too.

Could a broken immune system or lyme cause this?

With all the health problems I've had going on, I've been tested up the yin yang - and I don't have a thyroid issue, nor lacking in most of my major vitamins and minerals.

The only thing wrong is a low CD57.

I have not had my hormones tested, but I have not been having any menstrual or hormonal symptoms.

Thanks so much!

S.

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you get your TSH and T3 thyroid levels tested?

Hey, I lose weight when I get a flu, so I know it is possible! Not recommending the flu, but, I can't eat then, and lose weight. Maybe you could get creative and do some juice fasting?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I know it's rough but just focus on good health habits - for someone with illness and adrenal limits (not for your coworkers, etc.)

Be sure you are getting ENOUGH food.

Very common to have weight changes that are "undeserved" tag along with lyme. So, forget the weight (it will work out if you have good habits and good treatment), focus on getting better.

Do you have a LLMD? If so, they should know what to look for regarding thyroid, etc.

Aerobic exercise can make lyme much worse. Not sure what you are doing with all those miles you clock each week but WALKING or strolling (only if no "payback" See the second link below.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/112235?#000000

Topic: Borrelia Weight Gain? And What Helps.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115275;p=0

Topic: "post-exertional exacerbation of symptoms"

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077325;p=0#000000

CARDIAC INFO & SUPPORT

Includes:

Dr. B's SAFE EXERCISE and PT Rehab guidelines,

EXERCISE INTOLERANCE is (partially) explained in the article: "when exercise doesn't work out" (and what we can do about that)

ADRENAL, CARDIAC, MITOCHONDRIA & MYELIN SUPPORT - that all helps movement better work for us

Styles discussed: Pilates; Qi Gong; Tai Chi; Yoga; water; strolling; etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info guys!

Well - I initially started paleo for health reasons, not weight loss (or so I thought!).

I wanted to help my arthritis. I think I just assumed that because I was making such drastic healthy changes that I'd lose weight as a side effect.

But clearly I was kidding myself a little teeny bit b/c having not lost weight has obviously disappointed me.

On the other hand - my stomach is great and my joints aren't as bad. So I am sticking with this regardless because obviously it's working for me in THAT regard!

Robin - yes, I had both TSH and T3 tested. :-)

Keebler! I'm tracking all of my food and I do think I'm eating enough. In fact, at first I wasn't....

I couldn't figure out why I felt so much worse than usual.... I started tracking my food on sparkpeople.com and I eat around 75 grams of protein, 100 grams of carbs, 1300-1600 calories.

Before the switch... I was very very high carb and probably about 2200-2500 calories.

Thank you so much for all the links, I'm gonna read them now! :-)

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have had the same problem. Bloodwork on everything's normal, aside from the Lyme.

Ate well, exercised consistently, didn't lose anything for months. I don't lose weight when I get sick and can't eat either. I feel like my metabolism is just stuck here.

Trying to focus on just being healthy, but I put on 50 pounds when I got sick, and they're just not going anywhere. It's a bummer.

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, it's not at all uncommon to gain with Lyme and co infections and it can be very difficult to lose.

Best to start out with a ACAM doc who will diagnose thyroid issues even if they are subclinical and also have your adrenals checked. Both play a role in weight gain among other things.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does typical days food look like for you. You may be eating something that is the cause. I blamed my weight gain on Lyme and surgical menopause but once I cut out dairy, soy, grains, sugar and starches the weight fell off.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See http://stopthethyrdoidmadness.com/ for reasons a "normal" thyroid panel may be meaningless...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beloved
Member # 37415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beloved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to overwhelm any one with this suggestion, but a while back I used a breathing with isometric positions program called Oxycise. It only took about 20 minutes a day. My metabolism point was frozen. While I was toning and tightening my scale point took 6 weeks to start moving, I think that is because it takes a while to catch on to the deep breathing, reps and abdominal tightening.hen I would lose about 10 pounds a month, about 2+1/2 to 3 pounds a week. At that time I lost 25 pounds over 3 months. Some people really enjoy it & really take to it like ducks to water. Others like me have to push themselves to do Any exercise. Anyway they have a website. You can go on it searching for fibromyalgia success stories and there are some real encouragements. In addition you can search on YouTube where some of the routines have been posted. And see if it is something that seems approachable.

--------------------
Lyme: 1991
DXed: 2008

'Do not go where the path may lead; go where there is no path and leave a trail.' Emerson

Posts: 45 | From Georgia | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if this is the same idea beloved, but found this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ15EB5YdpQ

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beloved
Member # 37415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beloved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Greta, sorry. What you are pointing to was a yoga exercise of single nostril breathing.

Look up specifically Oxycise on YouTube. I'm not seeing on there a full workout, but rather bits and pieces of workouts, and apparently lots of Russian listings that may be of Oxycise but the recording itself is in English.

I'm on my Kindle right now & can't cut and paste links. If I can then I have no idea how.

Ok: I just went on YouTube, on my Kindle then put Oxycise on the YouTube searcher. ( I don't know if Kindle results are different than laptop's.. I don't know if people with different zipcodes get different responses)

The second result brought up was in Russian/ Cyrillic, w/a 2 at the end of the Title. The recording' s length is 20:50. That is Oxycise Level 2. Level' s 1 & 2 are much the same level of exertion, I'm more comfy w/ Level 2, others like #1 better.
The 3rd result brought up, also in 'Cyrillic' has a 1 at it's end. It is 44:01 long. That is Level 1. It is longer because it teaches the basic breath, which is easy.
On the Oxycise message board search on fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.. I think there may be 4? pages of discussions. Honestly I got more from OXYCISE' s Success Stories' 2 pages of Fibromyalgia' s and Chronic Fatigue.

On just regular Online I could do a Search on Oxycise Fibromyalgia and bring up bits of discussion.

--------------------

'Do not go where the path may lead; go where there is no path and leave a trail.' Emerson

Posts: 45 | From Georgia | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beloved
Member # 37415

When I do the Oxycise routine, I sleep better, have less pain & joint stiffness, and my head seems clearer, and after a while start having a bit more energy. The theory is that FMSers & cfsers are lacking oxygen to the body and brain. But a gal at the Oxycise Fibromyalgia Success Stories put it a lot more succinctly than I.

So losing inches even if one only loses inches at first is great. Better sleep and less pain in 20 minutes a day is gravy. But very good gravy. [Wink] .

You don't have to do all the exercises at one time. Also you can start with just a few positions & breaths working up the full routine. Also if you can only do a few positions reps then start slow, working your way up. A lot of FMSers do either of those choices so they don't risk so much getting slammed, crash & burn.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPa3DU0KRgg&list=PL5A67CDFEC8D6C5BC

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ellen101:
I blamed my weight gain on Lyme and surgical menopause but once I cut out dairy, soy, grains, sugar and starches the weight fell off.

-
Indeed. That usually works.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beloved
Member # 37415

Yes, Lymetoo. I did not see a video on that recording. Perhaps the videos are being blacked out because of ownership. But I think there is enough on YouTube to introduce someone to what it is,such as an infomercial BIT on YouTube.

Anyhoo,Google Oxycise improvement Fibromyalgia. A link will come up to take you to Improvement in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue at the Oxycise site.

There are also some good reviews on it on Amazon. The VHS tapes for Levels 1 & 2 were not very much used. OXYCISE also has an Easy Does It set for level 1.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement