LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Muscle twitches steadily getting worse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muscle twitches steadily getting worse
Boxermom2
Member # 38974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boxermom2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me what causes the muscle twitching? I've been in treatment for Lyme for over a year and now I'm being treated for Bartonella with Minocycline 50mg 2x/day, Rifampin 300mg/day and Zithromax 300mg every other day.

This has been my treatment protocol for the past 6 wks. I started getting muscle twitches about 2 wks ago and they seem to be getting far worse each day. I take 250mg magnesium 2x/day. What can I do to calm the twitches?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 50 | From Maryland | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boxermom-I'm sorry you've got worsening twitches.

I had those also on the mino, but they got better with time.

I also had to increase my magnesium to 4000 mg mag malate per day (which is 1000 mg elemental).

I asked my doc about this amount and he said that is very reasonable, considering IV magnesium doses are much higher.

Anyways, I hope you catch a break with the twitching.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxermom2
Member # 38974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boxermom2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what frustrates me the most. At my last visit I told my doc, who is a well respected and highly recommended LLMD, about the muscle twitches and he told me not to assume that it is Lyme/Bart/Babs. He said if it's a new symptom it's probably unrelated.

Yet I am reading all over the place that it is a very common symptom of BART! So frustrated!!

Posts: 50 | From Maryland | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticktox
Member # 6739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticktox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is a Bart symptom and a sign you are getting to it. It is not fun to deal with but it is a good sign. Perseverance is such a big part of successful treatment. Good luck!
Posts: 57 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for didogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry you are having these twitches boxer mom. For me, I get them when I am treating bart. They have gotten better-alot. Now I only feel like I;m twitching inside but they aren't visible-if that makes sense?

Hang in there! It does go away

Posts: 238 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Epsom salt bath with 3-4 cups of the Epsom salts, body brush beforehand,

always makes my muscles feel better- feels like the magnesium gets right to them.

When I was on Levaquin or Cipro, I forced myself to take one every single night.

Don't really enjoy them because I sweat, but they really do help (me).

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxermom2
Member # 38974

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do the epsom baths. I was wondering if buying a detox supplement would help.

It is a little reassuring to know that it's a bart herx. At least I know the meds must be hitting bart!!

Rob_h
Member # 38104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob_h     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Boxermom2,

I started a new lyme and babasia treatment about 2 mos ago. Started with 2 weeks "flare" treatment, 8 limes in water a day, 8 alka selzer, some supps. Then mepron, zithro, something for cysts, and a shot of bacillin. The next day I started shaking for most the day; all over but mostly upper body. Stopped the Rx, but continued the flare items. Continued shaking for three weeks. Stopped everything; the shaking stopped. But I was also better on dizziness, balance, thinking. So was it a herx or a med/supps reaction? Just my story, not a recommendation. BTW I have both gene mutations and one kidney, 62 years old, all of which could be factors. best, Rob

Posts: 18 | From NH | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob_h
Member # 38104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob_h     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Boxermom2,

I started a new lyme and babasia treatment about 2 mos ago. Started with 2 weeks "flare" treatment, 8 limes in water a day, 8 alka selzer, some supps. Then mepron, zithro, something for cysts, and a shot of bacillin. The next day I started shaking for most the day; all over but mostly upper body. Stopped the Rx, but continued the flare items. Continued shaking for three weeks. Stopped everything; the shaking stopped. But I was also better on dizziness, balance, thinking. So was it a herx or a med/supps reaction? Just my story, not a recommendation. BTW I have both gene mutations and one kidney, 62 years old, all of which could be factors. best, Rob

Posts: 18 | From NH | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob_h
Member # 38104

Error correction,

I also was on Plakwellnell, horribly misspelled.

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boxermom,

Twitches can be very indicative of a parasite infection. They love muscle tissue. I would look into antiparasitics asap. Dr. K. treats parasites FIRST and Lyme SECOND.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twitches may also be due to adrenal and thyroid issues.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxermom2
Member # 38974

Rob, that's an interesting detox treatment. I haven't heard of the lime and alka-seltzer treatment before, although Dr. H does recommend Alka-seltzer I'm not sure how much.

GLM1111 I have been thinking about doing a parasite treatment. I guess I'll get that started. My LLMD didn't recommend it at all.

[ 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: faithful777 ]

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barontella is infamous for causing muscle twitching and when you are hitting it, they can increase. I remember I had them in my face on the 500 mile drive to see the first LLMD.

Don't isolate your symptoms. If it is bartonella you will have A LOT of other symptoms - like sore feet or burning aching shins; pea size brown spots on your skin, crusty moles; swelling that looks like edema but does not leave a dent when pressed; nodules under the skin on the outer thighs and arms, that hurt when pressed (otherwise unnoticed); depersonalization, irritation/rage, vicious insomnia. . . .

Protomyxzoa Rheumatica also causes severe muscle twitching. If your other bart symptoms are reducing with treatment but muscle twitching and insomnia are increasing, it could be PR coming out. Other symptoms of it are horse voice, dry cough (both of these are very intermittent); pain in joints, muscles or tendons; stabbing nerve pain; pain in teeth or jaw, headaches behind the eyes, insomnia, profound fatigue, anxiety, depression, inability to concentrate, loss of memory, air hunger, loss of stamina. . .

Obviously symptoms overlap making things confusing so testing helps figure things out. PR and bart both cause twitching and insomnia. PR is similar to babesia too.

Magnesium is a really bad idea because if you have PR it will be used to build massive amounts of biofilm. Once you get this *&%^ established in your blood it is very difficult to reduce it. I took magnesium and got worse, not better.

I believe the PCR test is less than $300. More than likely you have babesia too and those symptoms also overlap. Mepron costs $1000 a bottle and less than 50% of it is utilized WHEN you take large amounts of fat. But if you have PR, the fat will send it into overdrive. This is another reason why you need to know if you have PR. If you don't have it, great, take the fat when you do mepron etc. If you do have PR, and you take the fat, you are slowly killing yourself. Same goes for magnesium.

I see the same people on here for years treating babesia and/or bart but not getting better. You need to know what is causing your symptoms - stop guessing and get tested.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried increasing your magnesium? You are not taking all that much. Increase to bowel tolerance and then back off one tablet.

I had to take 1250 mg magnesium twice a day to stop the twitching.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Gael (parasites) and Nefferdun (proto). Proto is a parasite and responds to parasite treatment.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff-I had a chucle at your Bart symptom list...

As I'm reading it, my mind is going, "Yes" "check", "oh, that's what those bumps are from"...
"check", "yes, have that" etc etc.

It was like going off a shopping list at the store...

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt read all but i recently found a mag supp called calm worked real good on bad restless legs and arms

It must absorb real well-cuz worked better than mag tab sr i have used for almost 20 yrs

I ended up needing half packet in morning and half 12 hrs later

Good luck

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxermom2
Member # 38974

nefferdun, I have not been tested for Proto, but have been through treatment for babesia, which is the same from what I've read. My symptoms for bart are: Sore soles of feet, muscle aches, pain in cheek bone, muscle twitching, severe muscle spasms in feet/toes, burning skin sensation.

I don't sleep 100%, but I don't have insomnia. I do have restless leg syndrome, so I will try the CALM supplement (thanks lpkayak). I take lorazepam & melatonin at bedtime.

The problem I'm having with this disease is that there are so many treatments I've read about and I just don't know which ones to try. I'm considering doing yeast cleanse, detox cleanse, and parasite cleanse, but don't know which one to start first.

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My muscle cramps and twitching was resolved with branched chain amino acids.

I used muscle testing to figure out what would work and that is the only reason I figured it out because it sure would not have been my first thought.

A defeciency of one of them (Isoleucine) can cause muscle twitching.
http://nutritionreview.org/2013/10/isoleucine/

I've tried going off numerous times but the twitching and cramping comes back. BCAA's are deranged in diabetes and a few years after I got relief with BCAA's I developed diabetes. I don't think anyone knows exactly what the connection is but there is ongoing research into it when I looked a few years ago.

Hope you get it solved.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxermom2
Member # 38974

Very interesting, Terry. Who tested for this? I would think it would be a good idea to get tested rather than to just start taking the BCAAs.
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I muscle tested. We've been doing it for over 15 years with good results.

The BCAA's worked almost immediately to stop the cramping and twitching. When I tried to go off they came back. I've tried going off repeatedly but cannot without major muscle problems. Last time it took me weeks to recover. I probably won't be doing that again.

If I waited for a doctor to tell me what to take I'd likely be dead like my sister.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuluBelle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuluBelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What BCAA product do you use ?

--------------------
You won't know how sick I was until you see me when I'm well !

Posts: 123 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting about the BCAA's, my H and I use it before we work out (he at gym and me at home)

and we *think* (he swears) it helps endurance working out, and is suppose to help muscle recovery.

Right now we have Pure Encapsulations BCAA powder, which does not mix well- I prefer a capsule.

I'm pretty sensitive, and derive no negative effects whatsoever from it.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

lulu- I've been using BCAA 4 hour sustained release for about 4 years.It is made by SNI.

I just found this study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23385611

A high intake of BCAAs in terms of percentage of total protein was significantly associated with a decreased risk of diabetes in women after controlling for covariates; the hazard ratio for the highest tertile versus the lowest was 0.57 (95% confidence interval: 0.36, 0.90; P-trend = 0.02).

In men, leucine intake was significantly marginally associated with the risk of diabetes; the hazard ratio for the highest tertile versus the lowest was 0.70 (95% confidence interval: 0.48, 1.02; P-trend = 0.06).

Data suggest that a high intake of BCAAs may be associated with a decrease in the risk of diabetes.

TerryK
Member # 8552

I want to post this last comment about BCAA's in case it is useful.

http://www.cisaa.ibibiosolutions.com/property%20description/Isoleucine.htm

"Use of isoleucine:
1. It helps in the production of energy in the body and has been found experimentally to reduce twitching and tremors in animals."

I don't know if BCAA's will help you but I've heard people with lyme complain about muscle wasting and I've had muscle wasting myself. Perhaps that plays some part in the twitching and spasms. BCAA's help build muscle and help us use protein.

I hope you find something that helps.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement