LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I've been bitten AGAIN!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've been bitten AGAIN!
pammypim
Member # 42609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pammypim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a tick on my thigh this morning. I don't know what kind it is but it is the second bite in 10 days! Last weekend I was on a 3 day course of Doxy for the first one, which was on my neck! I didn't keep the tick for that one, but I have the recent one. It was not engorged that I could tell but there is a roundish red spot where I pulled it out & a dark red spot where it was attached. The tick itself is small & flat & round, about the size of a small lentil.

Considering this is Saturday I'm not sure what to do about it at this point. Go to Urgent Care tomorrow with the tick & see what kind of tick it is & what they want me to do? Would the 3 days of Doxy that I finished last weekend help me at all now with this one?

I am really getting paranoid!

Posts: 8 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay the heck out of where you have been walking on.

My family stopped walking on grass & this year 3 of my family members still got bit from just being on the deck & on the pavement.

Another family member let the dog out 2 weeks ago for 10 min & it came back with 11 ticks.

I will PM you with what you can do to get your meds.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to take doxy again if you want to do it as a preventative after this second bite (I would).

*(I just deleted dosage that the doc told me, I don't want people to get confused and think it's correct).*

I'm sure you'll hear different things though.

Also, they're finding diseases that were thought to only be in one kind of tick to be in multiple kinds of ticks.

Good luck!

[ 11-02-2013, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Judie ]

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, three to five days of treatment is never long enough for Lyme. I believe the the minimum treatment time for a new infection is six to eight weeks, but knowing what I know now I would treat longer. The dose of Doxy should be 300-600 mg daily with 400 mg daily often prescribed.

Where do think you are picking up the ticks from?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, there are conflicting dosages for right after a tick bite without knowing what infections you might have (it could be lyme along with some friends or nothing).

To be on the safe side, I'd do 6 weeks. This will at least cover you and give you less to worry about.

Good luck.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THREE DAYS???? FIVE DAYS????? [shake]

I would want no less than 6-8 wks of 200mg doxy twice a day.

Doesn't matter what KIND of tick. They all carry diseases.

www.TreatTheBite.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a tick on me last week. My llmd put me on Doxy 300 mg.s for 3 weeks. If symptoms emerge then we will go longer but that was his initial dosing.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pammypim
Member # 42609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pammypim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I run a cat rescue in southern Wisconsin. I have 14 cats in the house. They have access to a screened porch & from there to what I call a "catiary" - like an aviary. It goes from cement floor on the ground to the roofline & is fenced with PVC coated 14 gauge wire but the yard is right beyond. There is a clematis vine growing up the outside door of the catiary & over the wire roof. It is entirely possible that there are ticks in there that get on the cats. One cat is my loverboy & we sleep together every night. If he has ticks on him - I have not found any - then I could be getting them from him.

I also go out to a barn outside of the village to feed a cat colony there. There are a few bare shrubs just outside the barn door, but I have been walking around them. How the heck could one from there get on my neck which is where the original bite was!!

When I was bitten back in 2007, I did not take any abx because I was just getting over Cdiff. I was treated with herbals & the Rife machine & have had no troubles until now with these 2 damn bites.

I sprayed my bed with Raid & pulled the covers up. May sleep on top of the bed with a comforter or else on the couch & then change all the bedding tomorrow.

Right now I am so paranoid I feel creepy crawly things all over me!

Posts: 8 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is awesome that you are rescuing cats. The catiary itself sounds like it may be low-risk, but maybe as you said the vines attract ticks. Maybe cutting the vines down and treating your yard will help.

When you go to the barn maybe you should tuck your pants into your socks and wear sprayed clothes. When you get home immediately throw your clothes into a hot dryer for at least 15 minutes, and do a tick check.

I don't think you or your cat should sleep in a bed you sprayed Raid on. It is very toxic. Please wash it all before sleeping on it!

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

I heard diatomaceous earth is suppose to cut down on ticks. I've never used it. It's waaaaaaay less toxic than raid.

My friend used it to get rid of fleas in her yard.

Here's some info on it:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_fleas.html

There's a part on how to deal with an infestation (if you've gotten bitten twice in a week, I think I'd do that one).

My friend also used these (it says it's for ticks):

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/nematodes-hb-backyard/1220300

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking Amoxycillin twice a day for a recent bite but my lyme doc actually called in Ceftin. I can't tolerate Doxy anymore.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement