LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Your Probiotic Choices & Dosing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Probiotic Choices & Dosing
j77
Member # 42716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested to hear some of the probiotic combos/brands and dosing regimens you currently use. Also, how much higher do you dose vs. bottle recommendations?

My GI has been stable for the most part, though I am starting to sense a need to up my probiotic intake with the recent addition of Bactrim to my abx schedule. Current abx regimen includes Mino, Azithromycin, pulsed Tindimax (7on/7off) and now Bactrim as well.

My current probiotics,
S. Boulardii:
- Alternate Florastor brand and Jarrow brand.
-Typically 2 pills upon waking and 2 before bed
-Take in the middle of the day as well when on Tindimax weeks

Probiotic blends:
-Alternate Dr. Ohirra Pro, Prescript Assist. Used to rotate Dr. Mercola's as well, but ran out.
-2 pills upon waking and 2 pills before bed
-I rarely take these in the middle of the day

Posts: 58 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently taking Prescript Assist too, but at 2 per day. Because it survives stomach acid, I did not see the need to take as many as with non-soil-organism probiotics. Also, I am not on antibiotics.

It may be helping a bit with ibs symptoms, but too early to be sure. I think it also may be more effective against candida than many.

How are you getting on with yours?

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here goes...

FloraBalance Powder-once daily (1 million bacillus laterosporus)

Flora 50-14-once to twice daily (lunch and before bed) (50 billion mixed culture CFU)

Ultimate Flora VS-once daily (before bed) (50 billion mixed culture CFU to restore female flora)

Ultimate Flora Ultra Potent (once to twice daily) (lunch and before bed) (100 billion mixed strain CFU)

Ultimate Flora Critical Care (once to twice daily) (50 billion mixed CFU)

Primadophillus (red box-don't have it here) (once daily when I can find it) (100 billion mixed cfu)

Kefir (effervescent plain) 1/2 cup twice daily

Plain Greek yogurt 1/2 cup daily at bedtime

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, i didn't mention that I also have organic sheep's milk yogurt and am fermenting vegetables.

My goodness, Greta, you ARE a probiotic junkie!!

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Custom Probiotics 50 billion CFU's twice a day. At least 1/2 cup of fermented vegetables per day. I eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup with breakfast and dinner.

I am not on antibiotics.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 2 Prescript Assist Pro pills at night when I was on lots of abx for several years. I am off abx now and don't take any probitiocs and seem to be ok.
Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
j77...

It sounds like you may have enough, but you are on alot of ABX. I would definitely not back down any; if anything, you might add something like homemade kefir if you don't have sensitivities, which it doesn't sound like you do.

It is better to take too many than not enough if you ask me.

From what I have heard, the usual recommendation is as much as 400 billion count daily.

Greta... It looks like you have it covered!!! How do you afford all of that?

I will add that it seems like I was taking too much several months ago, especially the saccromycees, so I backed down a little and it seems to have helped bowel consistency.

So, maybe there is a point when your body gets too much??

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
j77...

Just thought I'd add that the probiotics you are using are good brands. Just don't settle for the cheap ones-pure waste of money.

Refrigerated is always better, too. Dr. Ohirra is a good name, and shelf stable even though not refrigerated.

I think for new lyme patients there usually seems to be a learning curve in regards to probiotics (I know there was for me), but looks like you're well educated on this.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it costs a fortune! $170 everytime I stock up on probiotics.

But it is better than c diff.

When I stop abx, I still plan on keeping on with the probiotics, as in the past, the bacterial imbalances showed up a year after stopping abx.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got ANY help out of Dr Ohirra's though I loved the taste of them!

Greta .. I will never stop probiotics although I might be able to if I continue eating fermented veggies. It's like probiotics on steroids! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j77
Member # 42716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TNT:
j77...

Just thought I'd add that the probiotics you are using are good brands. Just don't settle for the cheap ones-pure waste of money.

Probiotics are definitely a supplement class where price is a good indicator of what you're getting. As a rule, I screen out the cheapest products. Beyond that I just aimed to have a mix of seemingly decent blend variations. Admittedly, I wasn't even aware of Saccharomyces Boulardii until this year. Granted that was a direct result of active research as a response to my Lyme/Bart/Fry Bug diagnosis after getting sick this summer.

The concept of being able to support my GI tract (and body) with a compound that shouldn't be killed off in the same manner as a traditional probiotics... is very appealing to me. Even when abx are in the rearview mirror for me, I think I will keep it in my supplement regimen.... albeit at lower doses.

Posts: 58 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by j77:
Even when abx are in the rearview mirror for me, I think I will keep it in my supplement regimen.... albeit at lower doses.

-

a VERY GOOD plan!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am now trying to figure out what to do about probiotics pronto.

I am doing abx and am ramping up on them again.

At the same time, my insurance company switched their Pharmacy Benefit Manager to Optum Rx. It's a disaster!!! They are not covering many, many of my meds, including my thyroid meds, which have been in existence since 1934 and are really cheap!!

They are no longer covering my DSL #3 DS, which worked great!! I've used it for years. I can't afford it out of pocket really. Well, maybe if I take 1/2 the dose, spend a whole lot, and shop around.

So, I'm trying to figure out what to get, and it isn't so easy. I do have Saccaromyces Boulardii, which I am taking.

Any recommendations? I want to take a total of about 100 billion per day at least with a good combo of strains. (I was taking 900 billion a day with the VSL #3 DS).

I'm looking at Theralac, but it's expensive. Also Ohira's Professional, however, that only includes the lactic acid strains, which are great, but I surely do need the traditional strains as well. I guess I need a couple of different ones. Or bite the bullet with VSL. Sigh. Thanks.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

I like RenewLife. They have a couple formulations in 50 billion cfu, and one in 100 billion cfu.
The 100 billion cfu bottle costs around $50. 00
Silver Box.

They also have a formula for vaginal health. (strains that help to colonize healthy flora in the vagina and urinary tract). 50 billion. Pink box.

I've tried Nature's Way Primadopholous (Red Box, 100 billion)

And also Inno-vite Pro Critical 50 billion.
Brown jar with white and green label.

All are refrigerated. As far as cost goes Renew Life is my favorite.

Also, for 5 bucks you can have 50 billion cfu of bacteria and good yeast if you buy the effervescant plain kefir.

There is also Bio-K. It costs about $3 per day.
They have non dairy formulations also.

Pushingthru
Member # 28734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pushingthru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like RenewLife too. I take Ultimate Flora Ultra Potent also (once to twice daily) (lunch and before bed) (100 billion mixed strain CFU)
Posts: 96 | From Missouri | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, guys!

It looks like Optum Rx will let me fill the rx for the VSL#3 DS after all!! This is after several intense weeks of speaking to umpteen supervisors, complaining to the state AG's office, communicating

with Oxford's Reglutatory Consumer Advocate, and on an on---all saying that it was not covered. (They weren't covering ANY of my meds!). Although it still needs to be clarified. Arghhh!

I'll take it!

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im surprised no one uses theralac

When i used it i only needed one every 2 or 3 days

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-adult-formula-cp-1.htm

90 capsules, 50 billion CFU's each... $45

kayak.. I don't use Theralac because it's not dairy free. I need that now. But the Custom works just as well, is dairy free and is cheaper.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Rumigirl:

It looks like Optum Rx will let me fill the rx for the VSL#3 DS after all!! This is after several intense weeks of speaking to umpteen supervisors, complaining to the state AG's office, communicating

-

Yea!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement