LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can stress trigger or increase neuropathy symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can stress trigger or increase neuropathy symptoms?
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some kind of neuropathy in my hands and lower legs. It is undiagnosed. Can stress trigger burning or worsening of symptoms?

Thanks.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say yes..........

Here's a good site to read:
https://www.foundationforpn.org/NewsletterFall09.pdf

Tips for Managing Chronic Pain Pain can alter
your life and relationships. But, it doesn’t have
to. Learn how to manage the day-to-day stress
that can make the pain feel worse by adopting a
healthy lifestyle.

• Proper Nutrition—Eat a balanced diet to feel
and function better. Drink plenty of water.
Reduce sugar, salt, and fat.
• Stop smoking—By constricting blood
vessels, your symptoms may worsen.
• Reduce/avoid alcohol—Alcohol can induce,
and aggravate, neuropathic pain.
• Sleep—Plan to get at least 6 hours each
night. The body restores many of the
hormones it needs to function.
• Exercise—It can reduce cramps and improve
muscle strength. Make sure to find an option
that works with your abilities. “Consider an
indoor pool; water exercises are often less
painful,” McTaggart suggests.
• Relaxation techniques—Consider
meditation, yoga, tai chi, biofeedback, and
deep breathing techniques. “It’s hard to
think of anything that stress helps, so stress
management can be helpful,” Smith says.
• Journal your pain—Keep a daily journal to
see what triggers or alleviates your pain.
Acknowledge how your pain affects you. You may
feel overcome by sadness and anger or anxious
about how pain has upset your life.

Share your
feelings and frustrations with family, friends and
your health care team. Accept their support and
find new ways to cope. Regain control of your life!

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, in my experience.
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it can trigger a flare or worsen symptoms, but I don't think stress is the cause of neuropathy.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry that you are going through this right now. Stress makes my symptoms flare, including neuropathy.

Hope things will calm down for you soon. Try to take care

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Stress always makes my neuropathy worse ... I get skin burning and the swaying (while walking) also gets much worse.

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Steve that list helped me

And nula too...i have had bad balance for a long time but this week i am having many close calls of going down-i didnt know it was related

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does for me. Hands and feet plus weakness.

Treating adrenal fatigue with hydrocortisone helps a LOT. I had been down to only having to take it on an as needed basis until I got hit with a high stress load.

I didn't realize what was happening as my biggest symptom was trembling recently. I contacted my doc and he put me on a fairly high regimen of HC.

Once the trembling was under control, I then noticed the neuropathy which is now abating.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lpkayak,

So sorry to hear that. I know how horrible balance issues can be.

Swaying/disquilibrium (while walking) is my worst symptom, and yes it can be related to neuropathy. If you google "balance" and "neuropathy" lots of links should come up.

Stress always makes my swaying worse. Always. Sometimes it worsens on the days AFTER the stressful event, sometimes on the same day.

Hope you'll feel better soon!!!

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me too> stress = much worse neuropathy. It's better now than years ago, but it's still a big problem.

We have to learn to manage our stress levels.

I listed some examples above, here's a few more>

Put it in perspective.
Maybe you're disappointed that you didn't get a promotion you were up for or concerned that money is a little tight this month because of an unexpected medical bill.

Feeling stressed is a natural reaction. But try to take a step back and ask yourself: will this issue still matter in a year? In five years? If the answer is no, take a deep breath and try to move forward. Keeping things in perspective is crucial to managing stress.

Come up with a plan.
If there's a specific problem you need to fix, make a list of all possible solutions and pick the best one for your situation.

Realizing that you have options and coming up with a concrete plan will have a direct effect on stress reduction.

Accept what you can't control.
Some circumstances are simply beyond our control, and we have to learn to cope with and accept them. Fortunately, you do have control over how you react to stressful situations. Staying calm and being willing to accept emotional support from others can help in managing stress.

Managing Stress: When It’s at a Slow, Steady Boil
Sometimes it’s not one specific problem, but rather nagging concerns about your job, health, finances, or family members that create a steady build-up of stress. Try these tips to help you with stress reduction:

Give yourself a break.
Daily stressors can creep up on you before you realize it, so treat yourself to at least one relaxing activity every day. Listening to music, meditating, writing in a journal, or enjoying a soothing bubble bath are all great ways to relax and relieve stress.

Taking time for yourself is important for both preventing and managing stress.

Get regular exercise.
Exercise is one of the best methods for managing stress because it can relieve both the physical and emotional effects of stress. Consider fitness choices that also deliver specific stress-reducing effects like yoga, tai chi, Pilates, or one of the martial arts, all great ways to get rid of pent-up stress and negativity.

Express your feelings.
If something's bothering you, don't keep it to yourself. Talk to people you trust, like friends, family, or co-workers, about what's on your mind. Even if you're not looking for specific advice, it usually feels good just to get your feelings out into the open.

Managing Stress: Keeping Stressful Situations to a Minimum.
Being prepared for difficult situations, managing your time well, and solving problems quickly can help you avoid unnecessary stress:

Set reasonable expectations.
Being busy is sometimes inevitable, but regularly taking on more than you can manage can cause unwanted and unwelcome stress. Tell yourself that it's okay to say no to activities at your child's school or to extra projects at work — you are not obligated to accept every request made of you.

Additionally, don't take on more financial responsibilities — such as a new car or a bigger house — if you think they'll be a stretch. Being realistic about your finances is an important strategy for managing stress.

Resolve issues before they become crises.
It’s human nature to avoid unpleasant topics and circumstances, but if you're concerned about a brewing situation, whether it's at work or at home, address it early to keep it from becoming more serious, harder to solve, and more stressful for you. Problems are always easier to handle before they develop into full-blown calamities. Everyone feels stress — it's impossible to avoid it all the time.

But it is possible to keep stress under control by setting realistic expectations of yourself, learning how to keep problems in perspective, and enjoying relaxing breaks from the daily demands of life.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pocono Lyme, how interesting re the upped dose of HC, can you talk more abot that? I think that is exactly what is happening to me.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stress whether physical, situational or emotional will reek havoc on most chronic lyme patients.

There is only one sure fire way I know that helps me deal with any of these, prayer. Yes, do all these other things, but pray for peace first...not last. We may be sick, but we are never alone.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stress whether physical, situational or emotional will reek havoc on most chronic lyme patients.

There is only one sure fire way I know that helps me deal with any of these, prayer. Yes, do all these other things, but pray for peace first...not last. We may be sick, but we are never alone.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EWT1638 - I totally agree as prayer for peace has worked for me. Thank you for the reminder that that should be first... not last.

CD57 - I've had neuropathy for a long long time with Lyme. My current LLMD started me on IVIG on my first visit due to low labs regarding my immune system.

After about 6 or so months I noticed the neuropathy was improving. I'll be starting my fourth year of IVIG in January.

The neuropathy wasn't much of a problem at all until the past six weeks. That symptom was the least troublesome on my list so I didn't give it much thought if any.

The trembling, internal and external and the heart pounding took top shelf with anxiety and the inability to tolerate stress close behind.
I was also waking up again at 2 am.

I didn't know which doctor to call. I was so stressed out I couldn't think straight at all.

I began thinking one of my meds or supps was maybe responsible so began skipping a dose or two of each one at a time.

When I skipped a half dose of Armour Thyroid, of course the last med on the list lol, I felt some relief.

I contacted my BHRT doctor and he is getting me back on track. He said waaay too much stress and waaay too little HC.

It's taking me a while to recover but I know he's right as I saw much improvement in days. I then realized when I stepped into the bath tub, it didn't feel like I was stepping into boiling hot water like it was again over the past 6 or so weeks.

I saw my LLMD this week and now he realizes how important the HC is though he doesn't understand how to treat it properly.

It takes so many adjustments I truly don't believe it's something to rely on our very busy LLMDs to treat. Especially if thyroid is also a factor.

On a side note, I slept 8 hours straight through the last two nights. [Smile]

--------------------

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC490673/

Abstract

A 50 year old man with Addison's disease suffered two episodes of hyperkalaemic paralysis, with delayed muscular relaxation and persistent motor neuron discharges at rest resembling the Isaacs-Mertens syndrome. Sural nerve biopsy shows a demyelinating neuropathy. The symptoms ceased after corticosteroid therapy.

Addison's disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addison%27s_disease

Addison’s disease (also Addison disease, chronic adrenal insufficiency, hypocortisolism, and hypoadrenalism) is a rare, chronic endocrine disorder in which the ...

--------------------

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad I asked the question because it has turned into a very informative thread.

Can you have neuropathy in the stomach either in the intestines or in the abdominal wall?

I have the burning or tingling in my feet and hands often. It is just a minor annoyance. Then, when I encounter stress whether physical like changes in temperature or emotional the tingling and burning inceases and my stomach will start burning with abdominal pain.

If I don't get on top of it, then I am in a full blown flare which requires lots of meds and rest.

When I was at Cleveland Clinic, the neurologist wanted to test for small fiber neuropathy. She ordered a skin biopsy, a qstart and a tilt table test. We had to wait on authorization from my insurance.

By the time the insurance approval came, I was already home. I did not follow-up on scheduling because I figured it was just lyme and I was treating.

Now, I am beginning to wonder if it is just a result of the lyme infection as opposed to the infection itself and maybe I should get tested and see.

What is the opinions here?

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

I would get a saliva stress test. Labcorp has it available. Are you on any thyroid med?

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/IBMS/gistress.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15740474

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement