LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tindamax and Alcohol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tindamax and Alcohol
Jessig627
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessig627     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, this is going to seem like a really stupid question to some but I'm going to ask anyway. :-)

I am on very low dose tindamax, 125mg per day building to 750mg per day. I also take herbs and a beta blocker to control my heart rate and anxiety.

I haven't taken my tindamax in 48 hours. I have an event to go to tonight with my husband. It' the first time in eons I will be out, dressed nice and in adult company.

Is it okay if I have 1 drink? Will this have some crazy effect on me? My husband is hosting the event and I would like to enjoy myself just a little bit!

That may sound selfish but I haven't had a drink in months! It would be nice just to forget about this stupid disease for a few hours!

Anyone that has any experience, I would greatly appreciate it! If it's too dangerous, of course I won't chance it, but I just want 1!!!! It'll be the first in 9 months!

Posts: 132 | From Central New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No no no!

Tindimax and flagyl, when mixed with even the smallest amount of alcohol are VERY damaging to the liver! Some docs go so far as to use the term, "pickle" when describing what happens to the liver when tindimax and flagyl are combined with alcohol.

Lyme damages the liver in so many ways. Even if one wasn't on a cyst-buster, alcohol overloads the liver.

If you decide to imbibe tonight, you may find yourself with an instant hangover, even before the drink is finished.

That would be a terrible way to spend the evening, especially as it's your hubby's event.

Ginger ale in champagne glasses looks like the real thing.

Cranberry juice and club soda with lime in a martini glass looks like an exotic drink.

You may also find you get totally tanked after half a drink; lyme just taxes our livers so much, it is hard to predict how our bodies will react to alcohol.

But with tindimax...alcohol is a very unhealthy choice to make.

I'm sorry to be a party pooper and I don't want to sound like a teotaller.

I miss a Kiwi-Tini as much as the next girl. Sigh.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides what Greta said. Tindamax and Flagyl can cause a antibuse type response when mixed with Alcohol and make you very ill (vomit). 48 hrs should be enough time to reduce the risk, but is it time to experiment?

Not all people have an antibuse type response to drinking while on Tini and Flagyl. Your mileage may differ.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessig627
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessig627     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Greta! I think I will heed your advice and steer clear of any alcohol this evening.

I guess it's just that small part of me stamping my feet and wanting to be "normal" again for just a little while.

Not to say that alcohol is necessary to have a good time, but it's not fun to be the one watching.

Just one night! lol

But I agree, the price isn't worth it! :-)

Posts: 132 | From Central New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessig627
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36240

Thanks gmb! I thought I might be able to sneak one in since it's been a little over 48 hours and my dose is so low.

Just wanted to live a little for once.

But I don't think I want to chance it. :-/

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Even one drink with lyme &/or during treatment is to be avoided. There is no "just one" or "just this time" - alcohol can have serious effects, immediately and for days later -- and bombard a treatment plan.

Lyme damages the liver, there is no way around that. Treatment stresses the liver. Even with the best liver support, a little alcohol can make one feel so - sooo - much sicker and put the liver in to a spin.

Alcohol damages the liver and, with lyme, your liver may not recover from even one drink enough to recover your treatment costs for a month or two. There is now way to know how long it would take the liver to bounce back from even one drink - but more than a day, or a week (for someone with lyme who is doing Rx treatment).

It can affect glucose levels worse in someone with lyme and also affect the nerve fibers in the brain (and elsewhere) in serious ways. It's just not worth it.

Don't even dance with any ideas that you can get away with it. Please. Don't let any thoughts about that play with your mind.

Once in remission for about 6 months, most find that the alcohol intolerance will let up and it's safe to proceed cautiously. The liver needs that time to heal after treatment. Until then, let the power of getting your body back to health be the driving force.

Just being able to dress up, go out with friends and be among the living will likely have you feeling good. One drink can ruin all that, big time. Be sure your body will have a clean chance at enjoying the full evening.
-

[ 11-15-2013, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://whatislyme.com/why-people-with-lyme-cannot-drink-alcohol/

Why people with Lyme cannot drink alcohol

In addition to points made in that blog entry above:

Clearance time for Tindamax out of YOUR body could be slower than what is typical. If trying to dance with the clock on this, it may not be so accurate. Those with lyme, due to the liver dysfunction, often have differences in Rx "clearance" metabolism times.

BALANCE. SPEECH. The ability to keep upright, walk, talk, make sense. The inner ear does all that and more.

It's important to remember that lyme can really affect balance & inner ear function. Even a little alcohol can further dismantle balance to toss you off the tracks and, quite literally, off your pretty feet.

Even a little bit can have us appearing like an out of control sloppy drunk when that internal balance control goes haywire, even from what for most might have been just the slightest nudge.
-

[ 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Now, I find when I know I can't or should not do something, I can become miffed about that and then go down hill in all kinds of ways with that thought process.

So . . . it can help to focus on what you can do by adhering to a commitment of eating and drinking delicious things that will nourish your body.

Key words: "delicious" & "nutritious"

Thinking ahead, know where you are going and study the choices you will have. If they have a website, check it out. Call them, even, at a less busy time and talk to someone who can help you plan in advance your choices in line with "dietary restrictions."

It helps to remember that such "restrictions" translate to "ways to be ABLE TO enjoy life better"

Dis-ci-pline, is best thought of as "tis-a-PLAN" - an "action plan" for our BENEFIT.

You may have to take some things with you to make this work. Even TEA BAGS, STEVIA.

Remember, there are choices and there will still be lots of flavor and fun for you, in ways that will keep you feeling good enough and able to walk out at the end of the evening under your own speed, and - if not feeling - at least looking nearly as fresh as when you entered.
-

[ 11-15-2013, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessi,
I am also on Tindamax and struggle with that decision as well. It feels like Lyme has stolen enough!

After my last LLMD appt, I got one little glass of wine because the appointment went so poorly. I got completely drunk. Not a fun drunk...I was passing out and had a worsening of my symptoms. I wasn't even on Tindamax when this happened.

Alcohol is soooo much more potent in most lyme patients. Just be careful! Although, I think you can drink 48 hours later.

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessig627
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36240

Thanks Keebler for all the info! Life+Lyme, I'm sorry that happened to you. I can completely sympathize with the strong desire just to partake in something so silly just to feel normal for a moment.

But thanks to all of you, I went to the event and drank club soda all night. The funniest part of it all is that I woke up feeling like I had a hangover. lol

But I'm happy to report I behaved and abstained. Thanks everyone for your support and reminders! Without them I may have caved. We all suffer enough with this stupid disease, so sense in adding to it.

Wishing you all health and a blessed weekend!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement