LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dry Eyes Dry-ving Me Nuts!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dry Eyes Dry-ving Me Nuts!!!
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why oh why have I stopped producing tears at night?!?

It is beyond uncomfortable and very unsightly when I wake up. It looks like I'm just off a 3-day bender!

It's like I have to gently open them because my lids are dried to my eyeballs.

Argh!

I've been using saline drops but they are only temporary.

What causes this and what can I use at bedtime to keep them moist thru the night?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use this:

http://www.ocusoft.com/Featured-Products-TEARS-AGAIN-ADVANCED-EYELID-SPRAY-15-ML-P5227.aspx

and this:

http://www.ocusoft.com/Featured-Products-OCUSOFT-LID-SCRUB-PLUS-PRE-MOISTENED-PADS-30-CTN-P4363.aspx

and Restasis AND sometimes Rx Freshkote:

http://www.freshkote.com/

My eyes feel like someone is drying them with a hairdryer. I completely sympathize. It's not fun.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL - I chuckled at "Dry-ving" you nuts!

I have the same problem, but only with my left eye!

It drives me crazy b/c having one eye feel different from the other is ANNOYING!!

I have to take my left contact out, wet it, put saline in my eye and put the contact back in, several times throughout the day. Annoying!

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dry eyes are the one symptom I have never been able to get over. The first year before I was diagnosed they were terrible. I was wearing sunglasses in the house!

With treatment, they have gotten better but never returned to normal. I wish I knew what would help you.

That was an "eye catching" title - very funny and so true.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont know if this is true but my opthal said restasis will make you worse in the long run

flax oil-1000mg 0nce a day helps me

also for a year i was on 100mg doxy and the dry eyes went away-my opthal says they are caused by a bacteria who clog up the tear ducts

i stopped cuz i felt my Bb were coming back...probably resistance

i had a work up at MERSI eye clinic in boston...they dx me with something that needed surgery but could not answer the dry eye problem

i also have spontaneous tears that burn very badly now too...and this is affecting my ability to read and see tv or computer screen

i wish i could find an answer

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't find article I found 2 years ago when I had a problem after being rebitten where it talked about lyme causing dry eye and testosterone helping. But found this:

http://www.healthiertalk.com/testosterone-dry-eye-syndrome-1643

I used a compounded testosterone cream for a while and it worked.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions all.

I will try all of them, to be quite honest, as I don't like this new symptom one bit.

When I yawn, I can produce tears, but during blinking or sleep especially, there doesn't seem to be any tears.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lpkayak:
i dont know if this is true but my opthal said restasis will make you worse in the long run

I believe it. I tried to go without for a few months and my eyes felt like sandpaper.

Greta,

For some immediate comfort, you can take a warm wet wash cloth and put a little vaseline on it. Lay it on your closed eyes until the warmth wears off. Then massage your eyes around your eyelashes.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may or may not be the cause of your dry eyes but for me mold is the culprit. I get almost instant relief with homeopathic mycosis nosode drops.

We had a leak in our bathroom and I knew before we found it because my eyes started to bother me. Also, at certain times of the year when the mold spore count is high I will have a reaction.

Hope you figure it out.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Systane eye ointment every night. Last night I forgot and my eyes were pretty awful this morning. On really bad days in the winter, I put just a little ointment in my eyes during the day.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have the same problem and need to try something stronger than the usual eye drops which don't do a heck of a lot, plus last not at all.

I need to try the ointment, esp at night.

Yes, Restasis is not supposed to be good when you have infections (immunosuppressant). I know that we are often between a rock and a hard place, however.

Contacts aren't good for us dry-eye people, sadly.

Interesting about the mold; shouldn't be surprised though.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone besides laxmom know about FreshKote? It looks like it could be good, but see that it has alcohol in it, which is usually drying, and I thought that wasn't good.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they also gave me a prescription steroids drop it starts with
F L O. U. R. I think when I first started using it LLMD told me a little bit of steroid topical like that was okay they are very expensive. I'll post the correct names later I'm out and don't have them with me

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

LP-last night while waiting to fall asleep-I was trying to make my eyes moist by yawning.

It worked but...the areas of my lids where my lashes are became very irritated and itchy.

Which made me wonder if

1) My tears are irritants to my eyes, which in turn gives me the dry feeling and red look.

OR

2) My eyes are so dry and the membranes are raw, so when tears are produced it gives a burning irritated feeling.

It felt like acid on my lash line to be honest.

2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Greta,

I have dry eyes to from chemicals I ingested. Not Lyme related. So, the profile is probably quite different, hence i didn't respond earlier.

But, I have had chronic sand throughout the day which the eye doctor said is dry eye, and my eye balls burned with rubbing my eyes so badly, it was like I poured acid in them.

Caused me to tear up more which only made it worse. Can't say I have really had sticky dry eye balls though.

I did once a couple nights ago. i woke up in the middleof the night and my lids were sticking to my eye balls as I blinked. it was short lived.

The dry hot sauna has significantly helped them.

My one eye got the chemical actually in it accidentally, while the other was just systemic. I don't know if the right eye will ever fully recover as it was very acidic and toxic.

But,both eyes are doing better. Much less sand, tears now when I yawn that don't burn as much. it's really great. Not sure if it would help you or not.

I think you have an IR sauna...no? Can you get your head into it?

I think the eyes need external heat as well as core body temp increase......atleast if it's chemical.

You might want to try and see if it crosses all lines.

You might have clogged tear ducts. They recommend hot compresses on the eyes, with a little bit of mild soap to massage the lids and lash line. Don't go to hot though.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

That is a good suggestion, 2Roads.

I will try my sauna today and see if it makes a difference tonight.

The IR makes a big difference with joint inflammation-maybe it could help with the dry eyes.

peonyprincess
Member # 38611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peonyprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too suffer from dry eyes they have been pretty stable until the last two weeks when they have been so painful again. I use the ointment at night, hot compresses and the only drops I find that help are Celluvisc they are very thick and hold my lashes together at night. I also sometimes sleep with a microwaveable lavender eye mask which is comforting plus helps me keep my eyes closed at night!

I will look into the Tears Again product anything that will help.

Posts: 68 | From NE | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH yes!! I use a sleep mask EVERY night. It REALLY HELPS keep the dry air from heaters or AC's from drying out my eyes.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Just read in the Alive magazine that increasing Omega 3's helps with dry eyes.

It says, "In a 90 day study comparing omega 3 supplementation to placebo, 70% of the omega 3 group experienced dry eye symptom relief compared to 37% of the placebo group".

So almost double.

I think Faithful recommended this also [Smile]

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I take 6000 fish oil a day and eyes get worse when i cut it back

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes to the fish oil.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Lyme Literate Neuro/Optho has me using Systane (now Systane Ultra) You can get it for a good price at Costco.

This stuff is great.

Also, I have had punctual plugs put in several times to keep the tears from draining so they stay more moist.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement