LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone Use Andrographis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone Use Andrographis?
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came upon this video the other day and this man was so terribly sick with Lyme and 12 co-infections! He says that this herb with the assist of coffee enemas has gotten him back on his feet and back to work! Has anyone used this herb?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Fyi0fSe-M

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems it is an herb that Stephen Buhner is familiar with. He does not consider it as important as knot weed, cat's claw, and eleutherococcus, in that order... but geesh, this above video is a strong testimonial.

Andrographis is a strong liver remedy. I think that many who have lyme get a very screwed up and congested liver that inhibits feeling better.. so maybe this is why this man is responding so well. It is also anti-microbial.

Those who take antibiotics without liver support are in dangerous waters, IMHO.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Yep, I see it for $10 for a 2 ounce bottle at I herb. Cheap if it helps.

Sickofthepain, the video I put in the first post, he said he didnt herx from it but felt better. Did you herx? What symptoms did it relieve?

Anyone else using it?

unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is a terrific immune support. I keep forgetting to add this back into the mix so thank you.

My kids ask for it if they think they are getting a cold. Nips it right in the bud. No symptoms the next day.

Worth a try.

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

I think next month when I run out of LDM-100 I will give it a try. One third the cost and its suppose to help with candida too, which has been an issue for me. All in all I think Nutrasilver has helped with the candida the most but its hard to say for sure.
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont think buhner thinks it isnt that good...its just that it tastes so bad its hard to get ppl to take it. i gave a bag of it away---i just couldnt deal with it. i wish it could cuz it is supposed to
hit all kinds of things. i dont think i could get the pills cut down small enough to not herx crazy.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Andrographis.

I started with 1 capsule/day and was up to 4/day before my stomach crashed earlier this year.

I miss it a lot - it helps my liver, helps keep gut bugs in balance, and fights Lyme (and possibly some of the other coinfections).

And it reduces colds/flu...(proven in a clinical trial).

See http://www.altcancer.com/andcan.htm for excellent info on Andrographis.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

thanks for that link Razzle. Its a really good one.

Ive been on LDM-100 for its immune building properties, but perhaps I should cycle off of it for a while and try this. Compared to what is known about LDM this AP is really well documented. LDM feels more like a hope and prayer to me and Ive felt that way about it from the start... And I can't seem to attribute anything Im experiencing to it, good or bad.

Regarding dosage for Andrographis from the above link:
"In some studies, 80 percent of the administered dose of andrographolide is removed from the body within eight hours, with excretion rates of more than 90 percent of the compound within forty-eight hours"

Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

regarding the taste... if it is in natural powdered herb form it could be put in capsules, no?

Ive even put tinctures in capsules before when hard pressed to do so.

Bitter means liver.. and I guess this remedy proves that out.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Andrographis dry herb can go in capsules to avoid the bitter taste.

But you want to get some bitter, or else the liver may not get the benefit...according to my OMD (LLMD), the taste of bitter on the tongue is what stimulates the liver benefit of "bitter" herbs.

I was opening the Andrographis capsules and mixing that with nettles, yucca and some other powdered supplements (digestive enzymes, zinc, etc.) and so I could taste the bitter of the Andrographis, but it was also muted by the other stuff mixed with it and was actually quite good (to my weird taste buds, anyhow).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some people get very strong reactions to andrographis. I know this is a potent herb, but never could reach even half of the dosage proposed by buhner.

But I improved with it. I do not believe though that andro will be useful very long. My favorite Buhner herbs that kept working long term were cats claw, astragalus, eleutherococcus, japanese knotweed.

I bought all of these in bulk or powder, from raintree company. I don't remember if they sell andrographis though...

it is a powerful herb, prepare for herxes. but some people improve amazingly fast with it. I remember reading posts about people that didn't improve with years of cocktails of abx, but almost crashed when they took bits of andrographis!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

As ususal this is evidence again that with anything that we try start with a very low dosage and creep up slowly... I really learned my lesson on that this past week with the Clarkia formula.

Yes, Buhner says that the herbs you mentioned, Brussels, he says are more important.

But I wonder, after all the herx are gone from from using Andrographis for a while, if its liver protective actions would be worth keeping up with it. No long term toxicity has been noted at recommended dosages.

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thougt if you were chronic you weren't suppose to take it??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

and what exactly is chronic?
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long term lyme.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is astragalus that is contraindicated for chronic lyme. I believe that advice is from Buhner.

I have never heard andrographis is not for chronic lyme.

For what it's worth, I learned that andrographis has antiprotozoan properties. I believe I read that from Buhner, too. (And found that out from my own experience)

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's me in that video. I was feeling great using these two in conjunction. Then..in normal lyme fashion, the benefits wore off slowly. I did learn one thing. How I feel is in direct correlation to my stomach.

I'm stopping for a while to see if I can make them work again if I stop for a few weeks.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Yes, sickofthepain, Vitamin C is a support in every single function of the body. I recently purchased some urine test strips for vitamin c.
I clearly shows me when I have been neglectful.

Recently wrote a post that largely got ignored about making lipsomal c at home. Although the intitial outlay of money is about $120 for the machine and ingredients in the long run it is much cheaper than purchasing vitamin c and you will also have a much better product.

Im taking 6 grams right now, 3 in the am and in 3 in the pm.. I'm suppose to add a mid day dose but the day doenst seem long enough and I forget. If my symptoms were really bad Id up to 12 to 20 grams a day and lipsomal c wont cause diarrhea. Vitamin c is essental for effective detox as well as immune boosting.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/33004#000002

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PICC line helps in the sense that if I don't use it, I get much sicker.

Sick, what kind of rifampin do you want, IV or pill? The pills are so cheap overseas. The IV rifampin is outrageously $$.

As far as the coffee enema, it's so easy if you want to spend 10 mins in the bathroom. I don't use all the buckets and tubes that I see people are using. Seems like overkill, plus it's not conducive to any living situation.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I used andrographis at top dose for a full 14 months. Some help but nothing like I had hoped. I get more help with Berberine.

Still, I can usually only afford one or two supplements at a time and it really does require a full complement. But we all do the best we can. I add this only to explain why I'm no poster child success.

Still, read ALL about anything you might try and best to have guidance from a fully ILADS educated LL ND regarding herb use - & to explore ALL options & modalities for an individualized treatment plan.

Some core sets:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119197?#000000

ALLICIN / Garlic links

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119089?#000000

ANDROGRAPHIS paniculata - LINKS SET

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030549;p=0

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT – LINKS
-

[ 12-03-2013, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117755;p=0

Topic: RIFE Machine - Reference LINKS

LL Naturopathic links here, too. With articles & books by holistic LLMDs and LL NDs. And Herbal "education" links.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andro can be used for chronic lyme.

And astragalus too, even though Buhner didn't write that in his first book. He changed his idea about astragalus though after he heard experiences from people using it all over the world.

Many people, who are chronic, benefit from astragalus. I found it more helpful than andrographis, that was excellent, but only shorter term. Astragalus made me much better, much milder to take, even children can take it as food. Not the case for andrographis, that is a potent herb.

I found other stuff like milk thistle and pure coffee better for my liver.

Homeopathics can work wonderfully well , if tested energetically EXACTLY for the liver. It works like a charm! Chlorella too has been a liver savior!

Another thing that helps the liver is tapping: find a point that affects the liver. As a last resource, I used reflex massage, quite painful though. I find it relieves the problem specially when the problem involves the gall bladder.

Even people who do not have gall bladder anymore benefit from foot reflex massage, as the gall bladder is still energetically there and the pain goes away with it (you need to drink a lot of water though). I think it may unblock the small ducts that get painful, even in the absence of gall bladder.

Anyway, another way to make the liver better is to let bitterness go (psychologically). Life cannot be felt as being bitter (semantically), or the liver may get in trouble. This can be quite easily tested with energy tests (psychokinesiology after dr. K. test it fast and finds a treatment also fast!).

I guess that if you can stand andro for long, you are the lucky one! I never seen anyone taking andro for very long, but there may be!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful you are not allergic. I had a bad reaction, hives etc.

http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/herbs/andrographis-allergic-reaction/

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking andrographis now, but haven't noticed any difference at all, good or bad. Oh, except that the capsules leave a horrible taste in my mouth, like I've just swallowed tree bark or something. It's nasty.

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brussels, I love what you wrote about the liver- not to get all
'woo woo', but I kid not, castor oil packs on my liver

release emotions later for me- some pent up ones about my daughter and what we've been through- and they also clear my bowels.
Part of me holds back on doing them regularly because of this-

but I take milk thistle every day, other liver support.
No experience with Andro., sorry-

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement