LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Adrenal support..I"m confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adrenal support..I"m confused
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have high cortisol and low DHEA. I am supposed to take dhea alonge with pregnenolone and an adrenal support. My doc suggested, Adrene all, adapten all, and adrene vive.

I believe these all have licorice and doesn't that increase cortisol?? mine is already high so don't want to increase it any more.

I"m not sure what to take. Any suggestions?

ps my doc says this is stage 2 adrenal fatigue. I want to keep this from progressing.

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It can be confusing. Licorice IS helpful for adrenal support (and also to help negate the toxic damage of lyme), earlier in the day and it can keep your body from cranking out too much when you are under physical stress (as just existing can cause stress with lyme), depleting your own reserves.

It's what is called an adaptogen.

Sorry for that run on sentence . . . I added in stuff but can't edit it clearly. I can't explain it in detail. Links below can, though.

I would start with MAGNESIUM, FISH OIL and the less stimulation adrenal support herbs first (cordyceps, ashwagandha) and then slowly add licorice and then slowly add rhodiola.

But neither licorice or rhodiola at a full dose alone should be taken after early afternoon until you see how they work for you. Each of them can be a bit too stimulating for some folks.

IF in a good combined formula, they can all work fine together. Just start with one a day, with breakfast. Then add one at lunch after a couple days. Don't do any later in the afternoon until you get a sense of how you do with them. Soon, though, you should be able to take adrenal support in divided doses throughout the day.

At night, HOLY BASIL may be best. It's calming and nourishing to adrenals. See Wilson's book:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just be certain the DHEA dose does no exceed recommended dosage for your gender. And the pregnenolone can be very nice but start slow. Both are needed.

I'm not familiar with the herbal products you listed. If you could post a link to the ingredients maybe some of us could take a look and add any thoughts.

If you've not yet purchased them, my only suggestion is to not get a lot of supplements of alcohol tincture. Reserve those for the ones that work best that way and use powdered extracts (capsules) for others.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, thank you for your reply. Here's a few links to the supplements I posted about.

http://www.vitacost.com/ortho-molecular-product-adren-all-60-capsules

http://www.vitacost.com/ortho-molecular-product-adapten-all

http://www.vitacost.com/ortho-molecular-product-adrenevive-60-capsules

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I could only get so far as to look at one. Back later for the other two.

ADREN-ALL

Vitamin E -- could contail gluten if from a wheat source (as is often the case)

It contains glandulars -- Adrenal Concentrate (Bovine)

I could never tolerate those in any form, far too stimulating and stomach upset for me, on repeated tries. But others can and they can help in ways that herbs don't always.. If you have any issues with tolerating this, I would suggest it could be either gluten (vit. E?) or the glandulars.

I like to see anything I take state that it's gluten-free. Too bad this can't say that. But try to find out their source for the Vitamin E.

The other things all look good but this looks to be an overall more energizing formula than I could handle. YOu may have these in your others but I'd want ashwagandha and cordyceps as they are much more grounding.

I'd also feel better if all the herbs were guaranteed grown organically, though.

And, with glandulars, you have no way of knowing how the cows were tended. Are the glands from cattle that grew up in confinement and lived a lot of their last months in a stockyard, covered in manure? Very likely. You would need to find out more about where the company GETS the glandular materials.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
#2 - Adapten-All

I like this one much better and would like do very well with this for myself. The schizandra is an excellent addition, too.

The only concern I have is if the Vitamin E is from wheat germ oil. If so, that would be off limits for anyone gluten-free (as those with lyme are best being).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
#3. AdreneVive

The skullcap in this is not in the best form for use, according to Tillotson (One Earth). Only in tincture form will scullcap / skullcap work, he says.

Overall, looks good. However, they do not say that the soy is organic or non-GMO. I would not take anything with soy without those stipulations.

---------

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/scullcap-skullcap-scutellaria-laterifolia.html

SCULLCAP (Skullcap / Scutellaria laterifolia) [From The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook, Tillotson, et.al.]

. . . It must be given in a tincture, as much of dried scullcap, commonly found in over-the-counter herbal preparations, is basically inert, and therefore useless. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I think you should be able to get ONE product that does it all - and organically grown. Certified gluten-free and GMO free.

Maybe SeriPhos or the like would have to come from somewhere but once you can figure out the individual herbs that work nicely for you, all in one formula would be more cost effective.

- other than if you want glandulars. For glandulars, STANDARD PROCESS is a good source but even they don't use organically fed, free grazing cattle. It's been years since I last asked them this and they said at that time it would just be too expensive and the supply would be so limited.

That's the only way I want any beef product. I'm just more particular.

But you really do need to know the cattle are better tended than just from any stockyard. I'm not sure who can guarantee that.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Did you already buy these?
-

BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

thanks for all the info, no, I haven't bought anything yet.
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold everything, I've got the answer you are looking for! The NP I am seeing gave me Cortisol Manager. I take two tablets every night and it has completely changed my sleeping pattern. I no longer wake up at 2-3 AM unable to fall back asleep. I forgot to take it last night and woke up.

She also gave me lavender oil to take for sleep. Two of them make me so groggy it is almost like a sleeping pill. I really needed the sleep.

I am taking pregnenalone too. My blood levels were very low normal. She told me to take 25 mg of DHEA but I quit it after reading bart can make those level high. My blood work showed normal levels so I don't think I need it - and it makes my face break out.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

I bought a low dose of DHEA and pregnenolone, just 10 mg. I finally decided to buy Adrenevive to try and see how it does.

Here's my question: the Adrenevive capsule is rather large and I do have swallowing issues due to scarring on my esophagus

do you think opening the capsule and putting in applesauce would be all right?

what time of day would be best to take it? I have no idea!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement