LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Natural tooth whitening? Child

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Natural tooth whitening? Child
canadianmama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canadianmama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

Wondering about tooth whitening for my teenaged son.

Lyme did a number on his tooth enamel and he has been taking fermented cod liver oil/ butter combo.

His teeth look stronger and less see through, which is great.

My question: with all the greens powders, pomegranate juice, berry powders etc his teeth are quite stained. I don't want to use abrasives to get the stains off, as his enamel is still too thin. And I don't want chemical whiteners as the toxicity would be too much for him

Any ideas for natural tooth whitening? Small amounts of hydrogen peroxide? Maybe light therapy?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Posts: 372 | From british columbia | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try brushing with baking soda.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"with all the greens powders, pomegranate juice, berry powders . . . ." end quote.

No kidding, eh? I have the same concern. And I also do lots of green tea and some dark chocolate each day. My mushroom powder also very dark. It seems that all the best foods for us are dark. Still, I crave those kind of nutrients.

APPLES can help with their malic acid component. But I'd not put malic acid straight on teeth, although that question came to my mind.

Baking soda can take off enamel IF it's not dissolved enough. It can also scratch. Just be sure it's well dissolved on brush before using.

GSE can help. A few drops on the brush as the baking soda is dissolving.

Still, it can be very hard with so many others in the world now with super white teeth -- and to compare us to them can be crushing. Let him know that while the super food nutrients can cause teeth to darken a bit, they are so good for his cells.

And that with GSE and a little baking soda -- and then a good sea salt swish, hold, rinse. Rinse, more sea salt water to hold . . . to help remineralize the teeth, over time, it will help.

It's more about remineralizing the teeth than actually "whitening" them.

If sea salt is used for brushing, it MUST be very fine and fully dissolved so as not to scratch.

SEA SALT is the best way to remineralize teeth.

Web search: "remineralize teeth" and likely you will find the work of R. Nagel (most of his ideas are solid. A few are out there but most are quite good).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
After eating, taking any foods powders, rinse well with water but WAIT 30 minutes before brushing. This allow the enamel to get hard enough again as many foods (especially citrus, even lemons & limes) can soften enamel.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.curetoothdecay.com

Cure Tooth Decay: Remineralize Your Teeth Naturally with Good Food – by Ramiel Nagel

250 pages, about $30.

http://www.auromere.com/Dental_Care-Mouthwash.html

Auromere Ayurvedic Mouthwash

http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-GSE-Liquid-Concentrate-Grapefruit-Seed-Extract-2-fl-oz-59-ml/4211

NutriBiotic, GSE Liquid Concentrate, Grapefruit Seed Extract - DROPS

Start with just ONE drop on the brush and see how that goes first. Probably can do 3 - 4 drops. Rinse well, though. Do not leave on teeth.

Some brands of GSE can be VERY strong. I found that out the hard way.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Other products & suggestions mixed in here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119079;p=0

Topic: Burning Mouth - with LINKS
-

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brushing with a liquid papain (from papaya) may reduce tooth staining enzymatically, which is much safer than the toxic tooth whiteners commercially available...

Not sure if Bromelain would do the same thing, but that may be another option...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The toothpaste I like is a lemon flavoured redmond clay and salt paste.

Also, if you're feeling creative, you could mix a little xylitol and salt into a paste.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was warned not to use baking soda or any whitening toothpaste because any abrasion will wear down the enamel.

You can get your teeth polished when you get a routine teeth cleaning and that will whiten the teeth.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadianmama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canadianmama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the ideas!

We use a tooth paste called " Earth Paste" containing Redmond Clay, Xylitol, essential oils( flavouring) Redmond salt and tea tree. So I feel pretty good about his paste.

Keebler. YES, seriously, food colour is such a tell tale sign of nutrient content so the better it is the more it stains! Thanks so much for all the links and thoughts. I'm looking through them now.

Brussels, how interesting about the enzyme cleaners. I'm going to see what I can find.

My son is becoming aware of such things as white teeth and with how hard it has been to feel part of things with his peers while he has been recovering his teeth are bothering him. Really they aren't that bad, just not bright whitened white.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Posts: 372 | From british columbia | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could he rinse his teeth with hydrogen peroxide?

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if oil pulling would help? I know I've read about people doing this and one benefit is that their teeth are whiter.
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you taken him to the dentist? Dentists can usually scrape of staining. They had to allow extra time for me when I was sick.

My husband uses turmeric to whiten his teeth. Seems strange, but apparently works.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement