LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cinnamon Oil got rid of Lyme? Is Link True?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cinnamon Oil got rid of Lyme? Is Link True?
Robindeneen
Member # 32307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robindeneen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish each of you peace of mind, strength and improved health.

Found this site stating: "In March 2013, I completely eradicated Mycoplasma, Bartonella and the Lyme infection! After taking 2 drops of highly diluted oil for 65 days consecutive days I am now Lyme disease and coinfections free.

(The oil used is Steam distilled cinnamon verum from Sri Lanka and was very diluted in pure olive oil.)

http://www.lyme-symptoms.com/Essential.oil.html

http://www.lyme-symptoms.com/Essential.oil.html#Daily Drops

http://www.lyme-symptoms.com/

I must say it sounds too good to be true. Has anyone done this or knows about this link or who wrote it?

Also listed is "Basic Information for Planning a Healing Course of Action"
http://www.lyme-symptoms.com/LymeDiseaseInfo/Index.html

I'm suffering greatly with Neuro-Lyme, brain inflammation; vision and ears afflicted. Central Sensitivity. Can be online for a few minutes and then ears turn bright red and burn, eyes ache and turn black underneath, noise and pressure in my head increases.

I saw a LLMD for 2 years. No better. I posted here asking for advice and many of you said to switch doctors which I did last August.
Am on Omnicef, Mepron, Plaquenil. Also trying to take Biaxin but it causes fast heart rate which never slows below 100.

Am slowly increasing Buhner's basic protocol. Also Lion's Mane, Skullcap, Teasel, Turmeric and a few other of Buhner's recommendations.

Any comments are much appreciated.

[ 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Robindeneen ]

Posts: 9 | From Country Girl | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a book a while back given to me by the author regarding the treatment of infections with essential oils. I gave the book to an essential oil therapist.

What was notable in the book was the claims that oils could cure some very serious diseases. The prescriptions in it were exact and it was alost like it was written by a pharmacist.

The woman I gave the book to said she had helped to cure some serious infections with the oils. I dont know why Lyme should be excluded from this.

Just because antibiotics often can't readily cure it means nothing and should in no way reflect on the abilities of other treatments. Just because a ton of anitbiotics is requried does not mean that other simple treatments cant work.

Oils are a whole other paradigm in curing. In some cases it was essential to get specific oils from very specific geographical locations.

BTW, I met a woman this summer who said that almost everyone in her extended family had lyme and their main treatment was teasel. She claimed it worked. Other reports Ive heard that only about 10% respond well to it.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since testing for these infections cannot determine if an infection is "cured", the person has no way to know for sure if they are cured or not.

The claim that oils or any killing agent does not create cysts is not substantiated with anything other than their opinion and is likely incorrect. As far as I can tell, most if not all of the statements made are unproven and seem highly unlikely.

That said, I recall a woman on this forum who used oils as a big part of her treatment who went into remission. Many tried to get her recipe but as I recall, she could not remember it.

I've used oils for years. In fact, I have ~45 oils on hand and 2 diffusers. They can be powerful but I would never count on one thing to cure lyme disease.

Please be careful when ingesting oils. Purity matters. The only 2 manufacturers that I would trust are Young Living and Natures Sunshine. I would not ingest an oil without making sure it is OK to ingest and then starting with only small doses. Some oils can be poisonous.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep,,I've turned around using the young living essential oils, I do the lyme bomb capsules internally, raindrop therapy, and also rub on cinnamon and clove oil on any area that tries to flare up and it goes away! this has been a big part of eradicating the final vestiges of infections.
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2doggies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2doggies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was communicating with a woman on FB who got rid of all symptoms but ringing in eats with cinnamon bark oil in evoo and oil of oregano in 3.5 months. She was sick for 37 years and 8+ months ago was mostly bed bound. She also used an iMRS PEMF mat and got the information for EOs from the same site linked to above. Could it really be that easy?

Like robineneen i have been in treatment with a doctor (dr. K in wa) for two years and dont have much improvements, especially with gut issues.

Posts: 165 | From TN | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI Be careful with cinnamon oil if you have blood sugar issues. Cinnamon is known to bring blood sugar down and is used in many products for diabetics.

I gave some cinnamon essential oil to my brother to put on some pine cones and he put a LOT on the cones. His blood sugar crashed. I figure it was the cinnamon but of course it could have been something else.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pine cones?

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One tiny drop of cinnamon oil on my temple created a terrible burning rash over my entire face and neck. Not to be used on skin directly w/o a base. Be careful...
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Dan -
I gave him a Christmas basket with pine cones that had essential oil on them. They smelled like Christmas. I thought the oils might help with his depression.

The smell had dissipated so he asked me if I had more oil to sprinkle on the cones. I gave him a choice of various essential oils but didn't give him instructions or tell him that essential oils can be REALLY strong. I forgot. My bad!!

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cinnamon oil and cinnamon bark oil are very strong, and even diluted can burn and cause severe allergic reactions.

I have had some bad experiences with cinnamon oil causing 2nd degree burns on me.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone's different, but I had similar experiences to Greta.

I've had bad reactions with things like cinnamon and clove oil. Burning, allergies, irritation, etc...

I also took high doses of oregano oil for several months. Nystatin cleared up what oregano oil was suppose to do.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cinnamon gives me a terrible headache.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally advise AGAINST ingesting essential oils.

I took young living oils 2 years ago, put multiple drops in a capsule & ingested them, and woke up a NASTY deep rooted infection in my CNS & it hasn't gone away. That night (and the next 3 nights) I had to be admitted to the hospital for encephalitis type symptoms.

The #1 biggest mistake of my life has been using essential oils internally.

Let sleeping dogs lie!

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the complete site about 6 months ago and saw the essential oils statement. I also noticed that it looked like the author knocked the bacterial load down significantly using a Doug Coil, I was just beginning to use my Doug Coil. I could only handle the Bart Freq about 4 minutes per session twice a week back then.

I am wondering for the author if the essential oil was then able to kind of mop up because the bacterial load was reduced.

I have used Cinnamon Bark (Plant Therapy) for about 4 to 5 months during the day and during the week and have not noticed any big gains as a result of the oils. I use quite a bit more than was mentioned on the site (4 drops twice a day). It may now start doing more that my Bart load is reduced.

Note when I take MMS I do not take the oils for concern of a antioxidant conflict.

I am well over an hour now on the Bart Freq with the Doug Coil every other day. I feel better so I am starting Lyme Freq a couple times a week not on Bart treatment days. Using lots of Buhner herbs as well.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have at least a dozen essential oils. I do NOT ingest any at this time.

I do use some internally like tea tree on toothbrush when I have a tooth bothering me.
I use several different essential oils on my body, different oils for this and that. Love them.

I use all that I like inhaling in a diffuser in my home. Candles and plug in things went in the garbage along time ago.

A diffuser with water to dilute, a drop of soap and non-scented tea candles. During holidays I used peppermint.

My home smelled like Christmas all day everyday without baking.

Many folks that are trained in essential oils swear by them. We used to have a couple essential oil experts on this board. You can do a search and read many posts from them.

Many folks need to cut essential oil with something like Olive, almond or some other type oil to apply essentials.

They are quite powerful. I've learned my body can handle pure essential oils.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D Bergy:
Pine cones?

Dan

My reaction, too, before I read your explantion. I got a good laugh out of wondering how the heck you eat a pine cone??!! Ha!

I, also, have had an extreme reaction to ingested essential oils. You have to be REALLY careful. I also think it is way too good to be true that cinammon oil by itself will cure Lyme! Neuro-Lyme at that. Wish it were so easy.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish it had worked for me also. I have continued to improve but the memory issues are still a major concern. I am told it is one of the last to go away so clearly I am not there yet. My practitioner suggested more niacin. Just started this week by going to 200 mg from 100 mg in the morning. I take another 100 mg at lunch.

However my Bart load (much less lower leg and foot pain after 5 years) is much reduced so still I am staying after it.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried clove bud oil for bartonella. It didn't do much, if anything. I even mixed it in DMSO and applied it to my sore shins. It burned like the dickens but it did not penetrate the skin deep enough to kill the bart.

Lavender oil works well for sleep though. I take it every night now and it is amazing.

You might have bartonella with all your neuro symptoms, in which case you need bart abx instead of borellia.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cinammon can cause liver and other problems, it containes coumarin.

I read this a couple of days ago>
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-living/ci_24875816/why-cinnamon-rolls-could-be-dangerous-your-liver

Do your searching on the internet....

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Good find Steve.

It looks like Ceylon Cinnamon from Sri Lanka (I think that's the one the website recommends) does not have nearly the level of Coumadin as Cassia. Young living cinnamon is made from the kind that has less Coumadin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin
"Coumarin is found naturally in many plants, notably in high concentration in the tonka bean (Dipteryx odorata), vanilla grass (Anthoxanthum odoratum), sweet woodruff (Galium odoratum), mullein (Verbascum spp.), sweet grass (Hierochloe odorata), cassia cinnamon (Cinnamomum cassia) not to be confused with true cinnamon ("Ceylon cinnamon", Cinnamomum zeylanicum) which contain little coumarin,[13] sweet-clover (Melilotus ssp.), and deertongue (Dichanthelium clandestinum). Coumarin is also found in extracts of Justicia pectoralis.["

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Terry, I think it’s important to point out the negatives to all treatment we consider.

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there is only an increased risk of possible liver damage, and it is only for people that are sensitive to it.

Cinnamon has many health benefits, and it fights candida too.

If you look at the wording, it says that Cinnamon has been LINKED to an increased risk in liver damage. That's a word that gets thrown around a lot, and what it really means is that they can't be sure that it was the coumarin by itself that was the only factor.

I think that a more precise way to put it would be to say that coumarin is suspected of increasing the risk of liver damage......and only in certain people that are sensitive to it.

I've used it a lot in the last 4 years without the slightest problem, so I won't be making any changes in the future in regards to cinnamon.....no matter what variety it is.

Cinnamon Info

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

micu, Cinnamon does have many health benefits; no one here is saying it doesn’t. The reason for this post is to educate everyone on the negatives & positives of this spice.

There are many different types of cinnamon, so doing some of our own research will help determine if we are harming our livers, or helping other medical problems we may have.

Coumarin is a toxic, fragrant chemical compound commonly found in high concentration in Cassia Cinnamon the cheap hard Cinnamon sticks you find at your local grocery store. If you have liver disease, damage or failure, check to see if you have been consuming high levels of Cassia Cinnamon or Cassia Cinnamon based products.

And if you have been popping those popular Cinnamon tablets check to see if they have been made with Cassia Cinnamon. If they have been made with Cassia Cinnamon, you may have caused great harm to your liver.

Of course Coumarin is also contained in a number of other products, most notably in Tonka beans, Vanilla grass, Sweet Woodruss, Mullein, Sweet grass according to Wikepedia. The name Coumarin comes from the French for Tonka bean, which is coumarou.

Interestingly while Coumarin is banned in the United States as an additive or as constituent of Tonka beans, Coumarin in food from other natural sources such as Cassia Cinnamon is not regulated. Is this a huge error on the part of the US Health authorities?

When you consider the huge amount of Cassia Cinnamon consumed in the United States and the fact there are 30 million cases of liver disease you start to wonder. Have you been eating quite bit of Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Cinnamon Toast Waffles? Perhaps now is the time to switch to Ceylon Cinnamon, which has less than 0.04% Coumarin while Cassia Cinnamon has in the region of 4%.

The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) established a tolerable daily intake (TDI) of 0.1 mg/kg body weight according to this University of Mississippi study of April 2013. Partly funded by the FDA and efforts of Ananda Wickramasinghe, the former Sri Lankan consul general in Los Angeles, this latest research project has exposed the hidden dangers Coumarin.

The German government was actually the first to raise alarms about the level of Coumarin in Cassia Cinnamon in 2006. According to this opinion report piece by the German Bfr, published in September 2012, they say :-

“ If an average coumarin content in Cassia cinnamon of 3000 mg per kilogram of cinnamon is assumed, the TDI value can be exceeded by consumers who eat a great deal of Cassia cinnamon. For an adult with a body weight of 60 kg (132lb), the TDI value is reached, if 2 g of Cassia cinnamon are consumed per day.

For an infant with a body weight of 15 kg, this is the case if 0.5 of Cassia cinnamon are consumed per day. Overall exposure can be increased by other sources, for example coumarin-containing cosmetics. Consumers who frequently and regularly eat cinnamon-containing foods should be aware of this.

The BfR still recommends that Cassia cinnamon is consumed in moderation. Consumers frequently using large quantities of cinnamon as a condiment should therefore opt for the low-coumarin Ceylon cinnamon “.

The University of Mississippi report goes onto look at Coumarin content in various common food products available in the United States, and found high levels of Coumarin,. Of particular concern was the Coumarin levels in Cinnamon dietary supplements, which is astronomically high.

If you are taking Cinnamon on a daily basis, then there is the real possibility of Coumarin build up your system, even if your daily intake does not exceed the maximum levels. The chart below shows a brief extract of the research project, but take a closer look at the full report for detailed information.

Product Coumarin per serving (mg)
* cinnamon and apple sauce/local store 0.64
* cinnamon pecan/local store 0.48
* breakfast cereals/local store 0.37
* bread/local store 1.1
* granola bar/local store 1.4
* graham snack stick/local store 0.37
* dietary supplement/commercial source 2.5
* dietary supplement/commercial source 3.9

As expected the report shows that Ceylon Cinnamon has ultra low levels of Coumarin as to be totally insignificant, while all other types of Cinnamon exhibited high levels of Coumarin, especially Saigon Cinnamon. The chart below shows an extract of these findings.

Type of Cinnamon Coumarin Content
Ceylon Cinnamon, True Cinnamon. Mexican Cinnamon 0.017 g/kg
Indonesian Cinnamon, Korintje Cinnamon, Padang Cassia 2.15 g/kg
Saigon cinnamon, Vietnamese cassia. Vietnamese cinnamon 6.97 g/kg
Cassia Cinnamon or Chinese Cinnamon 0.31 g/kg

Even if you switch to Ceylon Cinnamon for your capsules, we feel that ingesting Cinnamon capsules does not represent a good choice because of the inherent danger of their production methods. (Click here for more information on the dangers of Cinnamon capsules).

If you are taking Ceylon Cinnamon for health benefits, then stick to good quality natural Ceylon Cinnamon Sticks or Ceylon Cinnamon Black Tea infused with Ceylon Cinnamon Bark Oil. It’s has a mild yet slightly sweeter taste. Ceylon Cinnamon is not overtly spicy and harsh like Cassia Cinnamon, but creates a more sophisticated flavor profile in fine desserts recipes and Asian curries.

Boiled Ceylon Cinnamon sticks made into a deep reddish tea is a fabulous taste treat, especially when iced and has many health benefits without the downside of Cassia Cinnamon.

http://cinnamonvogue.com/blog/coumarin-in-cassia-cinnamon/

Steve

--------------------

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the good info.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BryanRosner1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing this up. Very interesting.
Posts: 123 | From Tahoe | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lapis29
Member # 47626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lapis29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI Young Living brand EO contains the correct type of Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)

https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/cinnamon-bark-essential-oil

Posts: 90 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement