LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can Artemisinin cure Babesia by itself?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Artemisinin cure Babesia by itself?
baldone
Member # 43172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baldone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like most posting on here my Lymes journey is long and full of pot holes.

Positive WB in 2010 after 8 months of misery and been through 4 rounds of Doxy with much improved joint and muscle pain but can not kick dizzyness and other neurological symptom that I now think are Babs.

GP has tested for co-infections that were all negative and referred me to and ID who is very old school and refuses to consider Babs due to the false tests and would not even consider Igenix results if I foot the bill for the tests.

And due to being an HMO my options are very limited.

I was able to talk him into 3 months of doxy and it has helped eliminate the air hunger and I am now sleeping better but the dizziness will just not completely clear.

I am now self treating with a 1200mg(3x400) Artemisinin 4 days on 3 days off pulse.

Seems to be helping and it is only been 3 weeks.

Usually feel like hell about the 4th and 5th day of the pulse.

Artemisinin at this point is my best and only option but don't know if it will work long term.

Posts: 37 | From Midwest | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
No. Absolutely not. Not alone.

As with malaria, a similar intracellular protozoal infection, combination treatment is REQUIRED often employing rotation of antiprotozoal agents. This is to prevent . . . (lost the word, sorry).

Bottom line: no single agent (whether Rx or other) should ever be used alone to treat babesia. Combination required.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As you say you have no other options . . . there are some protocols that you might seek out.

You also need more for lyme. Much more. What you got (3 months of just doxycycline) was not enough and it can set the stage for chronic lyme, having been used alone, without a different agent to address the cyst form.

Please hear a gentle tone of voice here, I am so very sad to be the one to tell you these things. Still, there are things you can do to help correct.

Others will surely reply. I will be back but right now, I'm all out of steam and hands are screaming to stop typing.

I will post a few links now but cannot offer what I might in words to go with them. Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

Website passwords: clinic; clinic

http://www.sinomedresearch.org/ZCprotocols/index.htm

Zhang Protocol

----------------------

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Lyme-Prevention-Borreliosis-Coinfections/dp/0970869630/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361216068&sr=1-1&keywords=Healing+Lyme%3A+Natural+Healing+And+P revention+of+Lyme+Borreliosis+And+Its+Coinfections

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections

- by Stephen Harrod Buhner (2005)

[He is a master herbalist / researcher / author - not a treating doctor. He is extremely lyme literate.]

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Lyme-Disease-Coinfections-Complementary/dp/1620550083/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361214365&sr=1-1&keywords=Healing+Lyme+Disease+Coinfections%3A+C omplementary+and+Holistic+Treatments+for+Bartonella+and+Mycoplasma+%5BPaperback%5D

Healing Lyme Disease Coinfections: Complementary and Holistic Treatments for Bartonella and Mycoplasma [May, 2013]

Stephen Harrod Buhner

Websites: http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/ & http://planetthrive.com/2009/08/buhner-healing-lyme-program/

Forum: http://planetthrive.com/category/experts/buhner/

--------------------------------------

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/images/stories/PDF/BUHNER%20CONF%20NOTES.pdf

BUHNER, Conference Notes, June 2013 (Scott F)

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=124796;p=0

Topic: Babesia Notes -- Buhner Conference 6/15/13
-- Bea's thread
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
How just doxycycline (or other antibiotics, alone) can cause chronic lyme:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=120369;p=0

Topic: replication within cystic forms of lyme
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117755;p=0

Topic: RIFE Machine - Reference LINKS

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS educated LL professional in complementary fields (naturopathic, acupuncture, etc.)

Also includes article and book links by all kinds of LL authors - and information about herbal and nutritional supplements.

A new book out just this past Nov. is one of the latest posts.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
To help with the dizziness: GINGER CAPSULES

and

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

baldone
Member # 43172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baldone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

Thanks for the links.

Chronic Lymes being caused/aggravated by long term Doxy I did not know.

At this point I am going to see if my GP will at least sign off so I can get a full workup from Igenex even though I will have to foot the bill.

I will research the list of local LLMDs I was PMd(Thanks) and try to set something up with one of them.

At this point other than the dizzyness I am very functional and the Doxy and Art have given me glimpses of my old self even if they are somewhat fleeting.

If anyone has knocked out Babesia using only Art I would love to hear their story.

Posts: 37 | From Midwest | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Re: Testing. I would not spend any money on testing right now. Save that money to see a LLMD -- or on top notch supplement / protocol that can cover many bases such as Zhang or Buhner -- or a RIFE machine.

"Positive WB in 2010" and you have not yet felt well, not received proper treatment. You don't need another lyme test.

As for likely coinfections, it is best to see a LLMD for their take on what is going on with you. Tests for coinfections (even with Igenex which is the best) are still not perfect. I would get expert advice first.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You ask "If anyone has knocked out Babesia using only Art I would love to hear their story." (end quote)

To be clear, this is NOT a good idea to even try.

There are other things you can add to make it a combination effort. NEVER good to treat babesia with a single agent for very long. It can become resistant, and then that won't work at all anymore, making babesia even harder to eradicate.

Even beyond ILADS' LL experts, all medical literature is very clear on this point. Never use artemisinin alone (or alone for very long at all).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Re: Babesia

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/115218

CRYPTOLEPIS sanguinolenta & Sida acuta
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Re: Dizziness / Vertigo

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Vertigo, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I suggest getting this book ASAP:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/184-1715542-5541137?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lyme%2C%20Horowitz

Why Can't I Get Better?: Solving the Mystery of Lyme and Chronic Disease

- by a leading ILADS LLMD - November 2013

http://us.macmillan.com/BookCustomPage_New.aspx?isbn=9781250019400

Chapter One - gratis

http://oneradionetwork.com/health/dr-richard-horowitz-why-cant-i-get-better-solving-the-mystery-of-lyme-and-chronic-disease-november-25-2013/

RADIO Interveiw with author - Nov. 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYMezkigMWk#t=38

YouTube - with this author
-

[ 02-02-2014, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia can quickly become resistant to art (not a good idea). Babs is extremely difficult to get rid of and requires rotating things. It is good that you are pulsing the art, but you need more than that, IMO. I agree with all of Keebler's info above.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How come Buhner recommends just art or sida acuta for babs?
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I don't have time to go through his book / site right now but, as I recall, I don't think he ever suggests taking just one thing for any of the tick-borne infections but building upon each other, adding certain things.

Some of the items in the core protocol may have synergistic effects enough to "count as" a combination and help guard against resistance. Some may also have a degree of antiprotozoal properties to help as well against BABESIA.

Still, I wonder if there has been a misinterpretation if it's posted somewhere that he suggests just one thing - just one thing - against babesia. That counters all the best babesia science.

Is there a web page link or book page number to see where that might be? If a web page, there could be that a correction needs to be made. If in a book, there have been misprints from time to time in all kinds of books, so that would need to be addressed, too.
-

[ 02-05-2014, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure Buhner also supports using ABX drugs as needed.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baldone
Member # 43172

Update...

After my 3rd cycle of Art I am feeling much better.

Head is starting to clear and for the first time in a long time I see signs of my pre-lymes self.

I am going to finish this bottle or Art and I am going to add Cryptolepis and maybe Sida acuta.

I have begun discussions with my GP who is pretty open minded about my theories and him possibly signing the Referral so I can have Igenex run a FISH test and possibly rerunning PCR and IGM/IGG tests.

Either way I am feeling hopeful and it feels great to actually be able to focus on something without feeling like I am tipping over.

lostlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is something from lyme center of marthas vineyard question and answer with stephen buhner October 26, 2012

www.mvlymecenter.org/category/buhner-protocol/

Posts: 238 | From Where | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Artemisinin for over a year and it's still working for me - if I stop and restart I herx like crazy.

I think adding the sida acuta and cryptoleptis is a great idea once you are comfy on the Art.

It took me many months to work up to 5 pills twice per day (Allergy Research Formula) Five days on two days off. (Artemisinin)

Now I'm also on Malarone and working my way onto Crypto. Then will add other stuff for Bart, Babs an Lyme

I was on Zith and Septra but can't to ABX anymore.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
colonelforbin1992
Member # 43154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for colonelforbin1992     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to everyone posting about how babesia needs to be hit from multiple angles at once, does bartonella work the same way? I'm currently on rifampin alone for it. Planning to add HH/zithro for it soon though.

[ 02-08-2014, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: colonelforbin1992 ]

--------------------
Bart/Babs/Lyme

Posts: 64 | From Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malarone was pretty good for babesia, in my experience. It helped prevent relapses.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finished off my babesia many years ago with artemisinin and Zithromax. If you continue to take Art by itself your babesia will become resistant to it. Then you have nothing.

Find an LLMD soon! I agree that you do not need more testing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I finished off my babesia many years ago with artemisinin and Zithromax.

Lymetoo, I was reading some of your posts on other threads about zithromax and artemisinin finally curing your babesia.

You thought you remembered that you took 3 Allergy Research brand capsules daily (not at the same time) along with zithromax. That would have probably been 100mg 3x daily for the artemisinin.

You said you continued this regimen for probably 2-3 months until you were cured (this was at the end of approx. 2 years of rotating with quinine/clindamycin and other lyme meds).

What dose of zithromax did you take?

And, did you pulse the artemisinin those 2-3 months? I am curious because I am worried about building resistance to the ART by not pulsing it as TF did.

I am also intrigued because of how quickly and easily it seemed the zithro/ART combo kicked your babs. I had not heard of others using this simple combo with success until I came across yours.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anything other than zithro that hits babs? I'm just starting art with a whole new set of antibiotics rotated in, one pulsing.

I'd like to know other combinations with art.

I'm taking a week off of everything to bring the bad guys out before I start nuking them again.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the Babesiosis section of the Burrascano Guidelines and this webpage:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

They will tell you the meds that hit babs.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo?
Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TF. I need to read about the weights too.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

I didn't even see art listed there. Did I miss it TNT?

--------------------

TNT
Member # 42349

SacredHeart,

I don't think Dr. S mentions ART on that page. I have his book, but I'm only asking about Lymetoo's personal experience....if her Dr. had her pulse it or not during those final 3 months. Also, if she took higher than the "standard" 500mg daily of azithromycin during that time. That's all I would like to know.

Lymetoo?

TNT
Member # 42349

I understand the danger of using ART by itself for babs. That will cause resistance. But my question for Lymetoo centers around the question of whether it causes resistance if the ART IS taken with azithromycin, but is not pulsed.

????

It's also nice to know what others have had success with.

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you take artemesinin daily, in about 14 days your intestines will begin making an enzyme that makes the art ineffective.

A few years ago, the study that proved this was posted on LymeNet.

It doesn't matter whether you are taking zith or anything else with it. You can't take art for longer than 14 days in a row.

If you do, you are just wasting your money and time taking art.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TNT:
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
[qb] I finished off my babesia many years ago with artemisinin and Zithromax.

Lymetoo, I was reading some of your posts on other threads about zithromax and artemisinin finally curing your babesia.

You thought you remembered that you took 3 Allergy Research brand capsules daily (not at the same time) along with zithromax. That would have probably been 100mg 3x daily for the artemisinin.

You said you continued this regimen for probably 2-3 months until you were cured (this was at the end of approx. 2 years of rotating with quinine/clindamycin and other lyme meds).

What dose of zithromax did you take?

And, did you pulse the artemisinin those 2-3 months? I am curious because I am worried about building resistance to the ART by not pulsing it as TF did.

I am also intrigued because of how quickly and easily it seemed the zithro/ART combo kicked your babs. I had not heard of others using this simple combo with success until I came across yours.

-
Too bad we can't tag each other here like on Facebook!! I just happened to see this. I don't remember the zith dosage. Whatever would have been the average dosage. Maybe 500 mg per day? I did not pulse either one.

It intrigues me too! I was shocked that I suddenly felt fine. I quit treatment altogether about 2 months later.

Xango was also instrumental in my being able to stop all treatment. I felt so good on it that I finally got brave enough to stop all abx. That was 11 years ago.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

This post includes one study on art and proves resistance after about 5 days continuous use:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=095879;p=0#000011

TNT
Member # 42349

Thank you both, TF & Lymetoo. Your responses are very helpful. I will have to look up the Xango...never heard of it.

Lymetoo, are you sure you didn't just do the Tango?? [Big Grin] [lol]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

[Big Grin] .. Xango was the first company to bring mangosteen to the Western world.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read all responses, but ... Babesia does not become resistant to artemisa annua (i.e. the whole plant). Artemsinin, on the other hand, is another story. Artemisinin is a synthetic derivative of the whole plant.

I suggest buying Stephen Buhner's book on Babesia (published at the beginning of this year, so it's brandnew ...)

Add Sida acuta, cryptolepis, bidens pilosa, alchornea, salvia miltiorrhiza (all from Woodland Essence or Sage Woman Herbs).

I have Babesia duncani. I have the Babesia-typical rocking boat sensation (i.e. a type of vertigo) 24/7. I just started Buhner's new Babesia protocol.

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

So if we pulse the Artemsinin is it possible to avoid that problem TF?

--------------------

SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Nula please tell us if you feel like it is effective for you after you have been doing it for a while.

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

Yes, my doc had me take it 3 days in a row each week. It worked like a miracle for me right off the bat. I will never forget it.

I took it for about 9 months.

SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Thanks for the info TF. Great to know before I start brother....or sister....=) I'm assuming brother.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement