LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » colloidal silver, is it safe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: colloidal silver, is it safe?
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see my doctor today as I seem to be having trouble recovering from the flu. She recommended a colloidal silver spray for my throat and was kind enough to call a local health food store to see what they carry . I picked it up on my way home but now after doing some reading I'm a little concerned about the safety. There seems to be a lot of risks associated with using it.

She also feels I need to ramp up my immune system in order to get better so she recommended a mushroom complex supplement. After discussing things with the health food store she thought I would be better off using olive leaf extract.

When I arrived at the store she showed me the colloidal silver spray as well as the OLE . I was a little hesitant to purchase it before doing some more reading. Is OLE a good idea?

I have to say I am so confused. On the one hand you have people saying I am never sick because my immune system is not working correctly due to Lyme..and then you have others who catch everything as their immune system is compromised due to Lyme....which is it??

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Colloidal Silver. Safe? Yes, absolutely as your doctor guided you to a good brand and how to use it.

Mushrooms? Fabulous support for us.

OLE? Very good, too. But only SEAGATE for capsules. Links below explain why.

But, usually the brands at a health food store are not as good as what your doctor may carry. Be sure to go with brands ONLY suggested by your doctor, not by a clerk in the store (as they don't have the same education and do have a commercial interest).

You say that your doctor feels the need "to ramp up my immune system" (end quote).

That statement concerns me a bit, but it depends on what is meant. "Ramping up" . . . "boosting" . . . can be very, very bad for someone with lyme.

"Support" is more the way to go. With lyme, the parts of the immune system are sort of flipped. One part is just worn out and frazzled. It cannot take any more "ramping up" --

So, just be sure that your doctor is ILADS educated and that the intent is balanced support, not really "ramping up."

Typically, medical mushrooms are support. Some are more "boosting" than others -- and some can be rather sedating or lower blood pressure. So it is important that whatever recommended blend or formula is specific to someone with lyme but also specific to your very own body.

Medical mushrooms can vary widely in what they do / offer. It takes a great deal of study to know this family well. Not all are equal.

Sounds like your doctor knows mushrooms and likely the store did not have what she had in mind so choose OLE instead. OLE is also excellent immune support with many other benefits.

Brand really matters here, too, for quality.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030549;p=0

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT - LINKS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/119968

MEDICAL MUSHROOMS - LINKS
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For your REFERENCE links, later on . . .

Sounds like your doctor is holistic MD or maybe naturopathic doctor. As the things she suggested are new to you, you might want to cruise through some of the articles & books in this set.

When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

-----------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy);

D.C. (Doctor of Chiropractic);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc.

Be aware that integrative doctors can have various levels of formal herbal &/or nutritional education, perhaps even just a short course. Do ask first. Some have learned on their own from experts in the field. There are many ways to acquire knowledge and most are eager to share basic details about their training. You want someone with a deep knowledge.

Some of the specialities above may not actually treat lyme yet, for things such as physical adjustments, it is just good that they are also LL, at least to some degree (to know never to suddenly twist the neck or spine).

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches.

BASIC HERBAL EDUCATIONAL & SAFETY links,

BODY WORK links with safety tailored to lyme patients,

LOW HEAT INFRARED SAUNA detail,

BIOPHOTON - BIONIC 880 (& PE-1) links, and

RIFE links.

Links for NEW BOOKS & ARTICLES (by holistic LLMDs or LL NDs) as they come out.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This has never failed me regarding colds or a flu:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=032988;p=0

LDM-100 (Lomatium dissectum extract)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/127657

Various other helpers against cold / flu
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Colloidal Silver

It kept me out of a wheelchair when I could not walk. I will forever hold a special place for it. I don't use it regularly now but do for acute matters (or as an eye drop in an emergency).

There have been many threads about CS. And search the web and you will find a ton of comments that are often just not true and a few that are. It can be hard to sift through.

However, caution is important regarding the brand or if you make your own ONLY a certain kind of water and great care must be taken.

If the wrong kind of water is used, a blue or grey tone can come to the skin and that is never a good thing. There have been some not so smart folks that don't do this correctly but then the public thinks all colloidal is bad. It is not.

Still, even the best brand, the best care, you want to be using this with common sense. It's not so easy to get the silver back out (it is not a heavy metal but still you don't want it in excess).

It can be excellent as a sinus spray or throat spray. Or to take a few teaspoons a day (but always start slowly with a very low amount). A herxheimer can result from starting high.

As a throat spray, you should be fine even spraying a few times each hour.
-

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler, so helpful as always [Smile]
In regards to my immune system my doctor stated that perhaps my system was having a hard time recovering from this bout and needed some assistance. As a physician she told me that she uses the colloidal silver as well as the mushrooms at the first sign of feeling Ill. In my case she recommended using both right now till I am better and then keeping them as an arsenal to have when needed.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sounds reasonable and sounds like she is likely LL (you don't say but I hear no red flags).

My ears just twist with certain terms and "ramping up" could play out a lot of different ways depended upon one's definition.

Hope you feel better soon.

For the mushroom that she might suggest now, good idea to hold those then for signs of another acute matter. However, there may be OTHER medical mushrooms for "everyday" use.

Eating a variety of mushrooms is excellent, too. I enjoy them most days. Fabulous nutrition and flavor that makes any dish special.
-

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm horribly allergic to silver. For me, anything related to silver is not safe.

I'm taking reishi mushroom supplements to help my immune system against viruses. It seems safe so far. Been on it for months.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going slowly with ACS 200, building very slowly and omitting when I feel over-toxic. It is very well-reviewed.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ms dixie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ms dixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using Sovereign Silver and think it is safe and POWERFUL!!

The scientist who discovered "Lyme" ( borrelia) studies lyme with ABX and felt silver was the superior choice ( Dr Burgdorfer - he had big reservations about ABX for lyme ) .

There are many LLMDs who are advising silver and patients here have posted their doctor's support for its use. Nano silver is safe because of its tiny particles that avoid argyria- a side effect that results in grayish skin tone.

I have had herxes that were enormously intense on silver and also with parasite meds like Ivermectin and Albendazole.

I have been on silver for six months and can only tolerate 1 tsp daily if I want to function. I started with 1/2 tsp and was astounded by the herx reaction. It kills lyme!

Posts: 153 | From Huntsville Al | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ms dixie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ms dixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using Sovereign Silver and think it is safe and POWERFUL!!

The scientist who discovered "Lyme" ( borrelia) studies lyme with ABX and felt silver was the superior choice ( Dr Burgdorfer - he had big reservations about ABX for lyme ) .

There are many LLMDs who are advising silver and patients here have posted their doctor's support for its use. Nano silver is safe because of its tiny particles that avoid argyria- a side effect that results in grayish skin tone.

I have had herxes that were enormously intense on silver and also with parasite meds like Ivermectin and Albendazole.

I have been on silver for six months and can only tolerate 1 tsp daily if I want to function. I started with 1/2 tsp and was astounded by the herx reaction. It kills lyme!

Posts: 153 | From Huntsville Al | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. H was on a silver kick for a couple of months. He stopped using it once he tested a man's blood level and found it did accumulate in the blood. He doesn;t use it anymore.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use sovereign silver nasal spray. 1 spray each nostril.

I think the key is using a high quality silver product.

And not too much to start with.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement