LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I'm very sick - please read

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm very sick - please read
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I'm being treated for Lyme meningitis and one day after my first infusion of rocephin I fell off my bed later on that night.

I had horrible vertigo and couldn't get back on my bed. Later I started vomiting and that lasted two days. I'm still sick but sleeping all day and taking anti-nausea medicine this past hour has really helped.

My question is: Do you think the vertigo and vomiting have anything to do with the meningitis and rocephin treatment? I don't dare ask my doctor because she was VEERRRYYY reluctant to give me IV rocephin.

The good news is my head and neck move again! [Smile]

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like a herx-caused by iv

If it was pills id suggest you take smaller dose and ramp up

With iv i guess you cant control that and i think you are smart notto tell doc

I never got iv approvrd

Maybe detox will.help

I hope others with iv come along. Good luck

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember getting nausea, etc from infusing too fast.

I slowed my drip down.

Don't know if this would help you since it didn't start til later in the evening.

Hope the next one is better. Try dry brushing your skin and Epsom salt baths, if you have help!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely tell my doctor about the way you have been feeling. You might need a smaller dose to start. You can give her the good news that your head and neck are now able to move, but make sure she knows how very sick you are feeling. She can adjust the dosage and you will be able to tolerate the treatment better. Good luck!
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must contact your daughter and let her know how you are feeling. Sometimes an allergic reaction to a medication can cause similar symptoms as well.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you infuse every 12 hour or every 24? Do you mix it yourself, or does a nurse do it for you?

Are you doing 4g, 2g, or 1g?

Can you go to a lower dose for the next day to see if it is easier?

If you are doing 1g per day now (the lowest), can you infuse over an hour, instead of 30 mins?

Or do 1g every 12 hours instead of 2g in a single go?

When I increased my gram dose it was stated very very clearly to me to be sure the infusion rate was done slowly.

I understand why you don't want to tell the doc.

But if it happens again you should.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no doc or nurse but the insert in the box of rocephin vials has info also dr.b's guidelines.

Maybe nausea or vertigo is as a side effect/allergic reaction on that insert?

If your eyes aren't good, ask your hubby to read-i swear it is written on onion paper. Haha.

Are you on actigall? Urdsodiol? To protect your gallbladder while on rocephin?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I've had rocephin before at the same dose, and never had a herx like this one. Ellen101, I don't think this is an allergic reaction because I've had severe allergic reactions before and they felt nothing like this. Now that I have a sore throat, too, I think I picked up a bug at the hospital. It seems like I can't win!

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Hi GretaM, I read your response after you posted. My husband and I infuse every 24 hrs. with pre-mixed 2 grams. We just have to hook up the bag.

About my gallbladder - it's long gone after a former LLMD decided to push ceftin too hard without giving me ursodial. She honestly almost killed me! Before I could get any dingledorf doctor to actually DO something for me, my gallbladder nearly burst from sludge.

Thanks for your response!

--------------------
I want to be free

Ellen
Member # 42834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As vertigo and vomiting are known symptoms of meningitis, it would be entirely possible for this to be a Herxheimer reaction, with your symptoms getting worse before getting better.

There are some abx that didn't cause a Herx in the past but do now when I take them again. My gut felling is that this is a Herx, but I'm not a physician.

To change your dose or frequency of infusing, you'd unfortunately have to tell your doc so that you'll have enough of the right supplies, unless of course you're mixing your own Rocephin at home, in which case you could just draw up half the Rocephin to mix into each ball/bag ect.

Absolutely stress the good effects you've already seen! Just tell her you fell like its too much too fast. You may even have to explain to her what a Herx rxn is if she's not a LLMD.

Also, look into detoxing options to calm down the Herx rxn such as cholesstra (sp?) activated charcoal, liposomal or IV glutathione ect.

Wish you the best. Poor thing, you sound miserable!

--------------------
Ellen
_ _ ___________ _ _
lyme disease
dysautonomia
Chiari malformation
anxiety

Posts: 72 | From Birmingham, AL | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Hi Ellen, you would think that after 11 years I'd know that vertigo and vomiting is a symptom of a rocephin herx for treatment of meningitis.

I feel better now, though still bedridden because I fell so much trying to get back in bed with the vertigo. (I fell out of bed twice and could not get back in, repeatedly slamming myself onto the hardwood floor, ouch!)

So I think I will rest and detox with burbur while I wait to recover. I am on pre-mixed rocephin and it's really helping so I don't want to rock the boat.

--------------------
I want to be free

Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chlorella is a good comfortable oral detox that binds with biotoxins and heavy metals and excretes them so your system does not stay toxic.

Hope you will continue to improve.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gagamooppop
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gagamooppop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about all of this but I am all too familiar with it. I never vomited but I would have these weird seizure type things and the persistent feeling that I was dying.

I definitely couldn't get out of bed and I've been dealing with this symptom that some on here call derealization.

For me, until I started detoxing/cleaning up the drainage system (kidneys, lymph, liver) I was only getting worse and no amount of antibiotics was going to help me.

It was a rough tough major climb up a huge ass mountain, like many on here, but I finally found the right path for me and it's been improvements slowly but surely. Like the turtle I am..haha.

Hang in there and maybe help support them drainage systems. Just giving my support.

Posts: 183 | From ... | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have dizziness and light sensitivity ?

Get a "Tilt Table Test " if you find no reason for your symptom.

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement