LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr. Fallon's Lecture Last Night-long term abx recommended

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. Fallon's Lecture Last Night-long term abx recommended
Bugg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a link to the video of Dr. Fallon's lecture he gave last night at Our Lady of Lourdes High School? I saw the news clip in the Poughkeepsie Journal but would like to see the entire lecture.

Thanks!!!!

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Id.like to see it too

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also love to see the video as well.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
+1 for the love of this video.
Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google: Brian Fallon lecture our lady of Lourdes. There is lots of info. Don't see the video, but maybe someone else here can find it.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant use my laptip today...wish someone would post a link

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the video your looking for?

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20140327/NEWS01/303270027/Antibiotics-don-t-always-kill-Lyme-studies-say

Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ipakayak...if you want to keep your mitochondria happy avoid DDT/Dioxin...

Oops...too late...DDT (pesticide) is still in our environment or DDT->DDE...take your pick.

Where or where is liver E2 when we need it most?

More specifically GSTe2... like the protein in the female mosquito that transmits malaria, but is PROTECTED against the pesticide, DDT, via GSTe2?

The glutathione S-transferases (GST) represent a major group of detoxification enzymes.

Estradiol (E2) has been linked to both,

protection against

damage associated with chronic diseases or

exposure to chemicals,

and to the incidence of cancer.

However, ***only NQO1 and GST activity was increased (3- and 2.5-fold, respectively)

in liver cytosol of ACI rats treated with E2.***

Oops...

"DDT mimicks estradiol stimulation of breast cancer cells to enter the cell cycle."

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/14162601_DDT_mimicks_estradiol_stimulation_of_breast_cancer_cells_to_enter_the_cell_cycle

Many drugs raise blood glucose levels (including some antibiotics) which makes Candida very happy. It can be "resistant" to destruction.

Up goes HMG CoA reductase.

Read slowly...

the HSD17B7 gene was originally described as a prolactin receptor-associated protein and

as 17 B -hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (HSD) type 7.

Its ability to synthesize 17 B- estradiol in vitro has been reported previously.

However, we demonstrate that HSD17B7

is the ortholog of the *yeast* 3-ketosteroid reductase Erg27p

role of HSD17B7 in cholesterol metabolism is provided by the observation that

its murine ortholog is a member of the same highly distinct embryonic syn-expression group

as hydroxymethyl-glutaryl-coenzyme A reductase

HMG CoA reductase.

http://gbic.biol.rug.nl/~rbreitling/publications/HSD7_Cholesterol_enhanced.pdf

Which we inhibit to lower cholesterol levels.

So...does a yeast infection -> high cholesterol?

Well...look at the target:

The cholesterol-lowering drug fluvastatin (FS)

has an inhibitory effect on the growth of the pathogenic yeast Candida albicans that is

dependent on the pH of the medium.

At the low pH value of the vagina, FS is growth inhibitory at low and at high concentrations,
while at intermediate concentrations (1–10 mM), it has no inhibitory effect.

Examination of the
effect of the common antifungal drug fluconazole in combination with FS

demonstrates drug interactions in the low concentration range.

Determination of intracellular stress and the activity of the

FS target enzyme HMG-CoA reductase

confirm our hypothesis that in the intermediate dose range adjustments to the sterol biosynthesis pathway can compensate for the action of FS.

We conclude that the pH dependent uptake of FS across yeast membranes might make
FS combination therapy

an attractive possibility for treatment of vaginal C. albicans infections.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bri/2009/151424/

There are other combinations that work too...like Diflucan and berberine chloride (one of berberine's benefits is that it lowers cholesterol).

Candida has been found in the temporal lobes of persons with AD.

Google this: DDT Alzheimer's

Monsanto also developed Agent Orange.

And coming to a farm near you...

http://oneradionetwork.com/latest/usda-approved-agent-orange-its-coming-to-a-farm-near-you-article/

http://www.seattleorganicrestaurants.com/vegan-whole-food/Monsanto-Dow-agent-orange-corn.php

Antibiotic use (specific ones) and all other drugs that raise glucose levels (many) can -> Candida overgrowth and potential mutated drug resistant forms.

Candida infection AND Bb infection...not so good.

Post script: Prolactin, given to mice engineered to mimic MS, spontaneously restored the myelin sheath. AND in mice with MS...berberine worked too.

The VCO approach to clear Candida from the brains of AD patients involves not only VCO, but also Omega 3's from fish oil (which contains vitamin E to protect DHA and EPA from being oxidized) AND cod liver oil. Yuck. It takes too long to work, IMO.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Rday...thank you!

Marnie...i so wish i could understand...im mcs so have learnrd to avoid many chems...pesticides etc

And i have figured out by trial and error glutathione and its precursors make me feel better

--------------------

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the link to my post for the lecture:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/128558

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lpkayak read Detoxify or Die by Sherry A. Rogers, M.D.

She explains it all very well in plain English.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the cartoons:

-

[ 04-13-2014, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Judie ]

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are the people doing xenodiagnostic testing for persistent Lyme. It's an on-going study.

Adriana Marques, M.D. of NIH
The other person was at Tufts, but couldn't catch the name, it sounded like Lindon Yu or something like that.

I'd be very cautious though. The doctor later says that the larval ticks they use don't have borrelia burgdorfer, but may have borrelia miyamotoi. Sounds like a way to get infected.

[ 04-13-2014, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Judie ]

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie .. if you would remove the cartoon, this thread would be more readable. Just a thought.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Cropped and resized. Hopefully that helps.

Is that any better?

I just never thought there could be humor related to Lyme and that these were pretty funny in the video.

If it's unreadable, I'll remove, no problem, just let me know.

Here's another:

-

[ 04-13-2014, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Judie ]

Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Fallon mentions in the video that Dr. Younger at NYU is doing IVIG treatments. However, when I go to the "rate a doctor" website he has horrible reviews. So, I'm someone who would like to try IVIG but am reticent to do so after I read the comments about him. Anyone know anything about him?
Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard that he accomplished much for lyme. In truth not sure what Fallon is doing either. Sure, he's doing research but to what end? He's been doing it for years.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the cartoons Judie (lol)!

Ditto what Abxnomore said.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bugg:
Dr. Fallon mentions in the video that Dr. Younger at NYU is doing IVIG treatments. However, when I go to the "rate a doctor" website he has horrible reviews. So, I'm someone who would like to try IVIG but am reticent to do so after I read the comments about him. Anyone know anything about him?

IVIG is insanely expensive. I think your labs need to prove that you are immune deficient for insurance to cover it. Some people with Lyme, including myself, are immune deficient and qualify for IVIG. Maybe you should consider having some immune function testing done.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elara
Member # 41819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In around 2009, Fallon did a study presumably trying to show lab results for Lyme are inconsistent. Its now been 5 years and this is a pretty simple study. The blurb below was posted before 2011 so the paper has been in "preparing for publication" for at least 3 years.

That doesn't say much for his group even though they seem to be trying. I suspect the paper is hung up in peer review being blocked.

http://www.columbia-lyme.org/research/cr_research.html

“Laboratory Testing in Chronic Lyme Disease”

Principal Investigator: Brian Fallon, MD
Goals: to determine whether Lyme Specialty Labs were better able to identify patients with CLD from non-Lyme controls and to determine which tests had the best sensitivity/specificity balance
Design: Serum was drawn from the two groups of participants. Serum from each patient was sent to 4 labs (1 University Based Lyme Lab, 2 Private labs with a Lyme Specialty, and 1 National Commercial Lab). Samples were tests for ELISA, C6 ELISA, IgM Western blot, IgG Western blot. When available, both the CDC and the lab’s own internal criteria were used for blot interpretation.
Funding: Time for Lyme, Inc.
Status: Study closed for enrollment. Data collection and analyses are completed. Paper is being prepared for publication.

Posts: 53 | From Jupiter | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

I actually had a consult with him many years ago. He asked me what was holding me back and I gave him a long list of typical neuro lyme symptoms. He suggested I try Ritalin and I never went back,nor did I take the Ritalin. It was time and money wasted. It took another three years before I made real headway.
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abx. ONLY effective if a very specific subset of HDL-DR4 gene-type is NOT at play - impacting - antibiotic resistance.

Otherwise, those with that very specific gene type are RESISTANT to ALL abx. to CLEAR Bb.

See specifics under new "Minocycline" post.

lpkayak ...glutathione requires PLP/P5P (active form of B6) and an enzyme called CBS to -> taurine (lowers cholesterol) + glutathione (GSH) + sulfate in the "transsulfuration" pathway to lower (toxic) homocysteine.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

I wasn't antibiotic resistant. This was over 14 years ago. He just didn't have good advice for me. I've been well since 2003.
Marnie
Member # 773

Abxnomore..please read my edited post above.

Humor...when my sis was greatly suffering (steroids prior to abx - misdiagnosed - Bb loved it!), a friend gave her a floral arrangement with limes in it.

She took it as intended and laughed a lot.

Humor is good. It is healing. It is a release from worry.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement