LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » colonics-after effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: colonics-after effects
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my first colonic yesterday. She did an enema first, then the colonic. Let's just say I was totally amazed at the amount of poop one has in their body.

She was surprised at how much she was able to achieve and how well my colon seemed to respond but attributed it to my clean diet.

Today I am dealing with a lot of gas pains. I have tried a hot water bottle and peppermint tea, but they still keep coming..

She did implant probiotics at the end of the session. Any ideas what I can take to get rid of the gas?

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen-thanks for sharing your experience. I have always wanted to know the difference between a colonic and enema etc. Your experience helped explain the difference.

When I used to have bad gas cramps, putting a hard square pillow on the bed, then laying stomach down, stomach being pressed on by the pillow for half hour seemed to help.

The pillow compresses the abdomen, is comforting, and laying face down seems to help the gas move up and out.

What about some fresh ginger? Maybe steeped in hot water for a tea?

Sometimes ginger helps me also.

Sorry you are cramped up today. It is the worst!

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lassie27
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lassie27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please try castor oil packs - I can't say enough how helpful these were for me for bowel problems - you need to do them consistently for a few nights - they sell a box with everything you need for the pack at whole foods - really helped me with bloating, constipation, bowel cramping, such a great tool that is overlooked. If you are interested, please pm me.
Posts: 109 | From North East | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thewino
Member # 39086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thewino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen,

I have bowel problems frequently. I have found, for me, the best product on the market for GI gas is an OTC medication called 'Phazyme'. It contains a large dose of Simethecone. I take two capsules at a time and it has never failed me.

Look for it in grocery stores or drug stores by the Pepto Bismol or Gas-X.

It is a little on the expensive side but worth every penny. For me, the generic works just as well as the brand name.

Take care,
TheWino

--------------------
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been --J. Buffett

All of my replies should not be taken as medical advice as they are my opinions only and I am not a physician.

Posts: 55 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fennel Seed is excellent for gas. Can make tea and sip on it until the gas goes away.

Alternatives:

Homeopathic Lycopodium or Colocynthis may help.

Charcoal tablets may help.

Peppermint oil, massaged on the abdomen, may help.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions. I went to Whole Foods and picked up some activated charcoal . Unfortunately it made the gas worse instead of better, no idea why....
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! I thought for sure activated charcoal would help.

This may be too personal, but have you pooped since the colonic?

Or did the practitioner say it cleared everything out...

Maybe some fibrous foods, like pureed vegetable "soup" might help.

You do autoimmune paleo? Does the bone broth help the gas at all?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I don't do them anymore. I need to, but I did a series of them many years ago and it would take a week for my gut to recover.

I sure hope you feel better soon. The trick of lying on your stomach works for me too! Good one, Greta!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the exact same (excrutiating) gut/gas pains after colon hydrotherapy [Frown] which is strange since I've heard many people say they feel so much better afterward.

I feel great immediately after "release"... and a couple hours later I'm doubled over in pain. This lasts for at least two days and I feel like my gut is completely wrecked.

I've tried taking a lot of probiotics right after, a little bit of probiotics, fermented foods, activated charcoal, zeolite, castor oil packs, Gas-X, eating a full meal right after, not eating for a couple hours, ginger, etc etc.

No relief, and it affects me for the whole day/couple of days I'm in bed feeling worse.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had some bad gas from colonics at times, and other times felt great. I think the bad times were due to the amount of air that made its way through my colon. It was painful and sharp sometimes, especially that night. I no longer do them--just coffee enemas.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a ton of colonics and I have never had gas pain afterwards. I get the "closed gravity" kind.

What kind are you guys getting? Do they do massage during the process?

Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it is gas instead of maybe mucous that needs to come out? Are you actually expelling some of the gas? Massage it!
Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

I would find a new therapist. My lady is excellent. Not all of them are. I don't understand why they'd do an enema before hand?
Ellen101
Member # 35432

They do an enema before hand to achieve a better cleanout. Without the enema you aren't getting cleaned out as thoroughly.

Yes it is definitely gas. The therapist massaged my belly alot, used castor oil and heat throughout the procedure.

It was the closed gravity kind.

mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.

I would try Paragone for a few days. I am thinking that maybe trapped air from biofilm and parasites could cause this.

I would also find a new lady.

Also, I am not sure what your current protocol is.
Dr. K states to do colonics with anti-parasitics.

I've done a few and feel cramping for a few hours then really, really great.

I just did one last week was on clynda, ivermectin, pyrantel pamoate, parachord, paragone, art, and crypto. I take probiotics. They gave me fresh broth while on the colonic and did massaging.

I would do organic peppermint tea and chamomile.

Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

I always take extra Mg the night before to 'help things flow'. No enema needed. I wonder if that let extra air get up there or if the gas was gas that was already there?

I know a big gas bubble can "block" crud that is right behind the air bubble and when the bubble is dislodged it can help more stuff come out. I had a lot of gas my first time but she got it all during, if I remember correctly. I would just keep massaging it and hopefully help it along and watch what you eat (for example, beans) to see what causes what from now on. [Wink]

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Also, it's recommended to have 2 or 3 colonics in a row your first time. Did your lady recommend that? Glad you got the closed gravity. I hear they're the most gentle.
spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow thanks for all the input guys [Smile]

I honestly believe that it is a problem with my own body, not because of any incompetency on the colon hydrotherapist's part! She's amazingly gentle, thorough, and professional. Gentle massage throughout the session.

It does not feel like trapped gas caused by the session...more like, a couple hours later, something is producing all that torturous gas and cramping... so I am suspicious that it stirs up...something. Parasites? Biofilm disruption? Yeast?

Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After surgery I had a lot of gas. I used lotion or an oil to slowly massage my belly in a clockwise motion.

When I used to have regular massages she would to this and my tummy really woke up.

I feel for you, it is miserable

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Thanks all, the gas has passed [Smile] The therapist did say at least 2 more would be beneficial, but not sure I will at this point. I think it was just a lot on my poor colon and it needed some time to adjust.

But I will say I have noticed some changes. More energy, clearer thinking, and perhaps one of the biggest changes is my food interests. Before I would seek out things like raisins, dark chocolate, almond butter etc. Now I have not shown any desire for them at all. Perhaps it cleared some candida in the process.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement