LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » which abx knocks out a sinus infection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: which abx knocks out a sinus infection?
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot take azithromycin anymore, it is giving me heart problems and my ears are ringing like you wouldn't believe.

Any other options?

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sinus infection may be fungal. Look into diflucan?
Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't take zith cause it gives me hives. My primary has no problem prescribing other meds when I get a sinus infection. He has given me various ones.

I have also gone to ENTs and gotten various meds. I remember getting Augmentin once, for example.

But, the best antibiotic for a sinus infection is the one that is effective against the particular germ that you have. To find out, they have to do a sinus culture. Then, the lab will report back the type of germ and the various antibiotics that are effective against it, not effective against it, and somewhat effective against it.

I once had a sinus infection that lasted 10 months. It took 6 months before it showed up on a culture. It was MRSA. Needless to say, the standard antibiotics didn't work against it. But, the lab named the ones that would, and that is how I finally got rid of that horrendous, long-lasting sinus infection.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about augmentin?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clindamycin and levaquin
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the conventional treatment that I used pre-Lyme was Avelox and steroids. Obviously steroids are not advisable for Lyme patients so that's now out.

I recently had great success with a combo of Ceftin, Xlear spray (OTC) and BEG. BEG needs to be made by a compounding pharmacy. It includes an antifungal as well as an antibiotic, and something else that I'm not remembering right now. It can be taken either as a nasal spray or through a nebulizer.

The combo of Xlear and BEG was nothing short of amazing.

I was told that an oral antifungal like Diflucan won't do enough.

Now that the infection is gone, I'm still taking Xlear for maintenance.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting to me right now, it seems all winter long i've been on augmentin, levaquin and flagyll prescribed by ENT

last month i went to see an alternative medicine doctor who told me i had tested positive for moxella (a child's upper respiratory infection) and he prescribed Ceftin bec the bacteria is abx resistant....don't know why the cultures the ENT did came up negative

anyway, the ceftin provided some relief but i can feel it getting worse again, the discharge is white, not clear and there's more of it now that i've finished the ceftin

i'm starting on the next leg of an llmd protocol for Lyme tonight, which involves azithromycin, so i'm hoping this will knock the sinal infection away since the ceftin didn't do it...

i really would prefer not returning to either the ENT or the alternative doctor...( he alternative had my test results for 2 weeks without calling me!!!!)

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C.P.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for C.P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grapefruit seed extract (Argumax) helps clear sinus infections as well as break up Lyme cysts.
It doesn't cause any harm like the antibiotics do.

Posts: 106 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin or Augmentin are the traditional ones.

However, if it's fungal, the abx will just make it worse. My never ending sinus infection wouldn't quit until I got put on 200mg of Diflucan for a couple months. I second the recommendation of XClear, for now, and for maintenance afterward. The Xylitol prevents stuff from sticking to your sinuese... truly brilliant!

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beg spray, is that part of mold treatment by Dr. S? seems i have heard of that.

wonder if i could get my doc to rx that.

My doc recommended nasacort, i think it is a steroid, is it ok since it is intranasal??

I need to be taking diflucan now, I need it badly but after my reaction to zith which can prolong qt interval i am scared to take diflucan which can do the same thing. [Frown]

[ 05-08-2014, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: faithful777 ]

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diflucan (flucanazole) doesn't work against many sinus infection bacteria that "Zith" kills, but it is effective on many funguses.

Have you been on an extended run of Augmentin, at or near the max. recommended dosing?
This "amoxy" & clauvanate combo still works well for many folks, & it's available as a generic.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

I haven't ever taken augmentin and am allergic to penicillin, etc.

I think I will try the GSE for now. All the side effects from abx and other lyme, yeast meds are starting to scare me.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement