LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme Coinfections - Mycoplasma & Blood results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Coinfections - Mycoplasma & Blood results
Kbone
Member # 43682

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All - bit of history here. Saw the LLMD a couple of weeks ago and we decided to start treatment clinically before I got the blood work back.

My symptoms were awful, five ER visits in the past month complete with ambulance trip and all.

I got the results, and I tested positive for Mycoplasma Pnemonai (spelling?) and all other coinfections were negative.

I also only had one positive Lyme band (Band #23). My CD 57 has a level of 22 - Yikes!

I am on Mepron for Babesia (which I did not test positive for but my symptoms would say otherwise), and Minocycline in addition to detox supplements.

I don't go back to see her until June and my symptoms have been crazy these past few weeks.

My latest symptom is a blood shot left eyeball and fluid in the left ear. Ouchies.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mycoplasma? I am hoping we are on the right track here!

Also - based on what I am reading regarding the CD57 I understand a really low level is an indication of somebody with chronic lyme or someone who has had it for awhile.

She thinks I was possibly infected when I was a child.

I am having a hard time understanding why I would only test positive for one band if that was the case.

Thank you all for your wisdom it is appreciated!

--------------------
Diagnosed with Lyme 4/7/14

KB

Posts: 87 | From Townsend, MA | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi- I was hoping someone who explains these things better than I would answer your post,

here is what I've got: at the top of this page are many good links to get started reading and absorbing information.

Oftentimes, a person who has been carrying Lyme and co-infections, a chronic (over a year untreated) infected person,

their immune system is shot, and it can't produce fighting antibodies against the infections. Very often, once antibiotics/ treatment is started, if you test again, more bands would show.

23 is very specific, Lyme only bacteria.
The combo antibiotics used to treat Lyme/ Borrelia are often the same ones that treat mycoplasma;
Doxycycline, Biaxin, etc.

With Mycoplasma, you want to see the titers brought down.

Focus on detox, liver support, remember probiotics,
welcome and hang in there---

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/88555?

That is the direct link for information that may help-

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well explained surprise
[group hug]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kbone-I have been treating 13 months now.

I still have terrible neuro lyme herxes.

Also, blood tests for some coinfections are just as poor as standard lyme tests.

I have mycoplasma also. I don't have the eye thing you mentioned BUT another common coinfection called bartonella LOVES the eyes.

Sometimes, because treating lyme helps take some of the burden off the immune system, tests that were initially negative, turn positive and so on.

Keep fighting, and don't give up. We can beat this.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oceangirlSA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oceangirlSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi KBone

My doctor has said that a very large percentage of people test positive for mycoplasma pneumonia - its common even if you don't have Lyme.

You need to interpret your results based on both IGM and IGG titers.

In my family's case we all had elevated titers, with my kids both having IGG titers over 5, indicating chronic infection, confirmed by two doctors.

I have been on doxycycline for a while, and my titers have gone down dramatically over time, to a point where this infection is definitely no longer a problem for my body.

My younger child's titers have also dropped consistently on long term doxycycline.

It can take a long time to eradicate mycoplasma but it can and does go away with treatment.

Posts: 187 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kbone
Member # 43682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay this is interesting maybe I am interpreting the results wrong. The mycoplasma lgg was elevated at 128 but the lgm was negative.

I don't understand how it would show a recent infection if I've suffered for so long.

Ugh this is totally overwhelming I really hope I'm on the right track. I've been so sick but I'm scared we are treating something that just doesn't exist [Frown]

I've had three cat scans since the beginning of the year and more blood drawn than you can imagine. Everything has been clean until I saw the llmd.

And even now I'm questioning the results!

--------------------

KB

Posts: 87 | From Townsend, MA | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nikkabelle
Member # 43604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nikkabelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Kbone, so overwhelming!

I have actually never had my CD57 tested. Is this just a simple blood test?

I'm going back this week for blood to be drawn for an Igenix Lyme test. Can I request to have my CD57 tested as well?

How accurate is Igenix at detecting Lyme? I know they are the best, and I've only been tested through Quest (which I know is obviously not very good).

--------------------
[Smile]

Posts: 81 | From Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I am having a hard time understanding why I would only test positive for one band if that was the case"

Easy explanation. Blood tests look for antibodies. They rely on the ability of the immune system to produce antibodies.

LD and friends shut down the immune system it tricks the body into thinking their not even there. So the body doesn't produce any antibodies to fight infection. Therefore the tests could be negative even though you have a raging infection.

You have a LD specific positive band #23, so your immune system is doing something but the indication of the low cd-57 says chronic LD I believe, but its only an opinion.

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kbone
Member # 43682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys! I actually didn't have the Igenix testing mine was done through Labcorp.

I had 12 viles drawn at my first visit to the LLMD - she tested me for everything! I didn't ask for any specific tests she just ran it all.

I'm assuming it's because I told her I was sure I was dying [Smile]

--------------------

KB

Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kbone,

I have positive tests re Bb, and a darkfield mycroscopy of my blood showed mycoplasma & some yeast as well as Bb spirochete.

My CD57 level a few months after bad symptoms started was 33. I read somewhere that if your CD57 level is very low, that it is often an indicator of mycoplasma and Bb together. May explain your 25 level.

I understand that a lot if not most people have some yeast or mycoplasma in their system, not specifically related to Bb, but because Bb depresses the immune system somewhat, it allows a lot of normally controlled things like yeast and mycoplasma to flourish.

If you have had Bb a long time like I did, there is an Igenex herbal and antibiotic "challenge" that you can take (or choose between) that kills some Bb and it is picked up on the Igenex IgG Western Blot by the complimentary PCR testing done with the antigen testing.

I followed some of the herbal and then took doxy about 5 days before, and I tested positive on the Igenex IgG Western Blot. I recommend it, so that you will know for sure what you are dealing with.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kbone:

Okay this is interesting maybe I am interpreting the results wrong. The mycoplasma lgg was elevated at 128 but the lgm was negative.

I don't understand how it would show a recent infection if I've suffered for so long.

Read here about IgG and IgM...

Western Blot Explanation
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/42077

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement