LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HERX is a four letter word

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HERX is a four letter word
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do I always think it will be different? Why do I forget how miserable it is? Why do I always feel good before I Herx? (and therefore think I'm not going to Herx this time?)

Why, no matter how much I study, and think I know, I am surprised by this! Why, after all this time am I still so confused about Lyme and co?

First 5 days of zyth and doxy... All my muscle knots melted! The tight ropes that felt like bruises gone! I felt great. Yesterday the truck ran over me. Weak, feverish feeling, I different sort of ache... And totally foggy.

I guess this means I really do still have this. Might need to go back to llmd. Wish I felt more confident about her.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww Kudzu [Frown]

Do you have good detox regimes in place?

I'm so sorry you are in a herx currently. I hope it passes quickly.
[group hug]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
applewine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for applewine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen this term Herx thrown around a lot, but my understanding is that it is a specific fever like reaction or something from a die-off of certain bacteria types.

It shouldn't mean just a worsening of any type of symptoms. It should be "fever, chills, rigor, hypotension, headache, tachycardia, hyperventilation, vasodilation with flushing, myalgia (muscle pain), exacerbation of skin lesions and anxiety."

Posts: 136 | From arlington, VA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Greta. I did an Epsom bath, drinking lemon water.

I agree applewine. In fact I am one is who is continually questioning if I could still have Lyme? But after 5 days of abx, I have a low fever and chills. And although my muscle pain is actually less distressing than the knots and ropes that let go... I have a very different (for me) muscle pain. It's more like that fluish, don't touch me feeling. I suppose I could just have a spring flu.... Waiting to feel better no matter which.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this necessarily means you are herxing. The antibiotics may be causing a reaction and causing inflammation.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is some "old" info on herxing...

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000638;p=0

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by applewine:

It shouldn't mean just a worsening of any type of symptoms. It should be "fever, chills, rigor, hypotension, headache, tachycardia, hyperventilation, vasodilation with flushing, myalgia (muscle pain), exacerbation of skin lesions and anxiety."

-
According to whom?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Kudzu .. Feel better SOON!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you take a binder (charcoal)?

You are in the famous 'day 4 (5) herx hit'
It sux. I'm so sorry :-(

But, I think it will get better in the next few days---
Hang in there Kudz,
Good thoughts------

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

So I should hang in? Yesterday I was convincing myself to give up on abx again. I feel a little better today.

Supposed to add flagyl in a few days, right before my flare...Think this Indicates I should wait another cycle before I start flagyl? Maybe I'll just try GSE this month?

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

My pcp gets it... I went to see her again cause I was concerned about the dizzyness... She asked me how I felt otherwise over the week... I explained how on day 3 my muscles released for the first time in months... And she said "isn't that the best feeling" I proceeded to tell her about the fever that followed a few days later. She checked my ears... I do have an ear infection. She's gonna switch me to ceftin for 10 days to take care of that. She'd like me to try zyth again after that since I had such a dramatic release of pain... But if I get dizzy again we'll know its one I can't tolerate anymore.
She really feels that this indicates a Lyme flare or new infection or both...

She also doesn't want me to do flagyl just yet thinks the Herx would be too severe.

So that's it.

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good!
Hang in there---hope the ceftin clears up your ears soon--

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good .. and don't forget that Zithromax can damage your ears.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That feeling good before the herx... I call it the calm before the storm.

I think the abxs do their thing (kill bacteria and "scare" some away) and there is a brief period of peace or relief. It's only once the immune system responds to the die off (inflammation, detox reactions, etc) that we are hit with what we call a herxheimer reaction.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

ok-- a 4.5 day herx. not too bad. I think part of it is knowing what to expect. I was afraid that I would be down and out for a few months like the first time I treated.

ceftin, seems to have helped the dizziness a bit and the overall feeling of yuck. but oddly, my muscles are already beginning to tighten again.

what does zyth/doxy hit that ceftin doesn't? is there a clue in that? I know tests don't matter but I never had any positives for either babs or bart.

surprise
Member # 34987

I 'know' you, so I can say this next bit to you, right? (lol)

Does your Dr. find it odd that someone your age is getting ear infections? Isn't this your second one in last 12 months?

Are you congested a lot? If so, why?

My youngest got dx'd w/ ear infection a few days ago, after having major nose mucous preceding- Ped. said the tube that runs from nose to ear gets too clogged...hence ear infection.

Found this about your antibx question:
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/95080?
And, I think Azith. hits Bart.

--------------------
doing okay!

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Hi Surprise. what do you mean at 'my age?' ha, just kidding. of course you can say what ever... always looking for ideas and answers.

I am always congested. wicked allergies. I did go to an ENT last ear infection. he was not alarmed by anything he saw. of course I'm always worried about too resistance too.

thanks for the azyth link. evil Bart!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement