LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140605141507.htm

Very interesting!

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steven Buhner has a book on fasting. I believe there is something to this. I think a short fast is a very doable experiment....!
Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For anyone with porphyria, though, fasting can be very dangerous, even fatal. It's really important to know that since many with lyme have issues with excess porphyrins, KPU / HPU, etc.

Details below -- and note the posts on Spirulina (so that if calorie restriction is done, something like a Beta Carotene rich food must be on board to help. Can't explain all that but it's in here)

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?#000000

Topic: what type of M.D. tests for PORPHYRIA
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super interesting CD! Thanks for posting [Smile]
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fasting is also bad for people with mitochondrial disorders. Lyme impairs mitochondria...

So just be careful if you try fasting...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For what it's worth:

I did a medical fast (Optifast) for many months before I knew I had lyme (or any of the other things later to be diagnosed -- just thought loosing weight would "cure" me of feeling so very ill all the time.

I lost weight, alright and felt surprising okay much of the time. Still, fasting did NOT help my health at all. Made me worse in, oh, so many ways.

That's when the seizures started, too. I'm sure there was a connection. After the porphyria diagnosis, that makes more sense.

Still, the fake foods in that mix could have been the trigger for me, too, or a combination of things but fasting really changed some things about my body for the worse.

Even missing good calories intended to "feed our cells" with key nutrients for a few days can be far too stressful. There are variations, of course. Green powders and good oils are life savings during any food reduction. And that sure would have helped me to have known before I did the OptiFast misadventure.

Hemp protein powder, too, would have been nice to know about. But who knew before the internet?

I want to thank the world wide web. For now, we have so much at our fingertips. We just have to sort a lot but it's so much easier finding information that even 20 years ago.

I've learned this, most of all: my body does not do well with ANY shocks, ANY stressors. It needs support, not pushes.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Lyme is very unusual in many respects toward immune function. Lyme can evade even the best immune system.

Lyme can "flip" how the Th1 and Th2 parts of immune function work. Most doctors are clueless about this.

So, it's best to get advice from a LL doctor (LLMD or LL ND) who really knows all this so they can guide in how to approach key concerns for any actions.
-

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you did is not a fast, it is only a restricted diet plan.

A true fast means water only. I did a lot of short 3 day fasts a long time ago. I also did some juice fasting for up to a week.

There were definitely health benefits associated with these types of fasts. But they were all done when I was in excellent health.

quote:
The OPTIFAST Program

The OPTIFAST Program is a medically supervised weight management program that closely monitors and assesses progress towards better health and emotional well-being. The program, which usually lasts 26 weeks, utilizes a full meal replacement plan that transitions to self-prepared ‘everyday’ meals, in conjunction with comprehensive patient education and support.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Good point about fasting being, really, just that, no food. This was called a medical fast since it was about 400 calories a day. Still, different, as you say.

The cautions whether very little food or no food, are still important as with lyme, so much is complicated. Starving can boomerang. [Juicing, however, can be wonderful. But that's just really good food!]

There are other articles out there by LL doctors. It would be interesting to see what they'd have to say about fasting in regards to those with lyme

(and porphyrin issues, too, as are a matter for everyone, really. Even for fasting before a surgery, that is not allowed for someone with porphyria. They get a glucose IV the evening before so their body has glucose around the clock. Even fasting for routine blood work can be dangerous for those with porphyria).

Just one those brief summaries here. Some of the unique aspects of immune function with lyme:

http://www.holtorfmed.com/lyme-disease-evade-immune-system/

Immune system & Lyme - Holtorf Medical Group

. . . lyme is like no other infection . . .
-

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note that breakdown products of fat metabolism

(***glycerol***, propionyl-CoA),

protein degradation (alanine, other amino acids),

and anaerobic glycolysis (lactate) are

substrates for gluconeogenesis.

http://www.pearsonhighered.com/mathews/ch16/c16gs.htm

"The ability to utilize *glycerol***
and chitin as energy sources through the glycolytic pathway, which is unique to B. burgdorferi, ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC97324/

The goal is to get our infected cells' ATP levels back up, not Bb's ATP levels.

Help out your mitochondria - esp. bone marrow stem cells' who look to take a *bystander hit* from too many inflammatory cytokines released by the

infected damaged cells that are targeted for export.

You know where Bb was located in the Iceman, right?

STAT1 needs some help.

"Constitutively active forms of PI3K or Akt activate and their dominant-negative derivatives

***inhibit STAT1-driven transactivation in response to IFNγ"***

http://www.jbc.org/content/276/36/33361.long

PQQ...

PQQ augmented the expression of type I interferon receptor (IFNAR) and

enhanced the IFN--mediated janus kinase
(JAK1)

and

signal transducer

and

activator of transcription (STAT1) expression

http://tinyurl.com/pgzjrkl

STAT1 interacts with the Calcitriol receptor (VDR)...

Another link to help you out:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11909970

If not...hello, biofilm. Bb LIKES calcium.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0048277

And other uses of Ca...just google: borrelia burgdorferi calcium

http://www.amazon.com/PQQ-Caps-BioPQQTM-20-VegiCaps/dp/B008OA99EQ Looks good.

Add CoQ10 too.

Sorry about the costs!

[ 06-26-2014, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement