LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Food poisoning or are we overly sensitive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Food poisoning or are we overly sensitive?
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if we might have more of a sensitivity to foods that others might not react to.

Just had a few days from hell after eating a burger with onions from a rodeo burger stand. Violent vomiting, intestinal..... went on for hours and hours and days. I knew to not get dehydrated, but...
Came on after 4 hrs of eating it.

Just wondering if our stomachs and guts are more sensitive to these things where the next person might not have gotten sick like I did.

I do think they had left the burger I ate, sitting out and ready to sell... and who knows for how long, before I 'bought' it.

No other cases have been known from this rodeo stand.....

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I believe the bugs do alter our gut immune system, making us more prone to food poisoning.

I am extremely sensitive to fermentation or any foods that have sat out too long, or leftovers. I'm sure I have a high sensitivity to histamine (which accumulates in foods the longer they sit around, refrigerated or not).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Anyone with that experience should firmly question ALL they ate that day, and days before.

Such a reaction is NOT at all about being highly or overly sensitive. You might really have been dealing with major food poisoning issue. If so, you likely should get a medical assessment. Food poisoning, some types, can also become chronic infections, you'd need to consider that so you could at least act now.

Kidney damage can occur if some kinds are left untreated (even if symptoms are better).

Is there any chance you might still have any burger wrapper in the trash? If so, it could be a valuable clue under the right microscope. Yes, by now, all kinds of things might appear but if a particular food infection is there, it could be a vital piece of the puzzle.

And, I would not stop investigating because the burger place told you they've never had any problems. Really? They should be able to at least trace that batch of meat in case it was recalled and they did not hear about it.

Inquire at the state / county health dept. about this, too. If you are near a state line, contact the other state, too, for possible reports. People may have just driven through and gone on their way.

As for how long they might have left it out, find out what their employee education and their employee "rule book" does with this topic . . . and go in and see what their practices are for yourself, after reading this:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=114859;p=0#000000

FOOD POISONING - Reference and Educational Links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was definitely the burger with onions. When I ordered it, the gal brought it back asap. I even commented that it was fast! I have a feeling it was cooked and wrapped... and then sat out ready to be sold..... and shouldn't have.

I believe I was the lucky one that received the unlucky burger.

I work within the local hospital, and will ask tomorrow if we had any other ER visits from food poisoning. But this was at a local rodeo.. chamber of commerence type of thing puts on these things. Small town in the middle of no-where Montana. I ate the whole burger too...cheated with the bun even as I have been trying to stay away from gluten!

I have noticed that the last two times I've ate summer sausage, I have vomited too. Wondered what was in it that I'm either allergic to or sensitive to.

Razzle, that's interesting, wonder if the fermenting food has to do with summer sausage with me too.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
[I had not seen your post above when I wrote this one. I spend a lot of time in the composition mode. You were faster.]

Of course, your experience could be unrelated to that burger, that place - or even any food consumed for days prior (it can sometimes take days for it to hit).

Did you go swimming that day or days prior? Water borne illness should also be considered.

It could have been some kind of virus, etc.

Still, the detective work should be done even if, in the end, it points to unrelated matter. You won't know if that's a possibility just yet.

And, again, this is NOT about perhaps having an overly sensitive body. I'm sure that is not it. Not with those symptoms.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Gluten can do that with such intensity. [I've had it happen before I knew I had celiac.]

Even if it's not done that before to your body.

Do you have a genetic celiac or going gluten-free as a support method. If celiac, that could answer the question. If not diagnosed celiac, it could be a clue that you may be. A genetic blood test is best, other tests often miss it.

[Sadly, there is no way to ever "cheat" with gluten. It doesn't work the way a calorie-counting diet works. I've also had to find that out the hard way, a few times but never again!]

It may be more than one thing, too. Could be several all at once (gluten, bad meat, gallbladder?)

I would not dismiss bad meats, in any of those experiences, though. Could be both gluten and bad burger -- or poor cooking practice.

And gluten can show up in some burgers and even some sausages.

The additives in sausages, too, are suspect. The spices, the kind of fat in it, the age . . . its history from manufacturer to your mouth, etc.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Gallbladder attack?

Fats in burger, sausages can be terribly hard on the gallbladder. And an attack may not cause pain in the gallbladder (often but not always) . . . vomiting or stomach pain after eating meat fat is a big clue.

If you had any fries - or anything else fried, add to the gallbladder load.

And strong spices (in sausages or burger condiments) can also make that more intense if the gallbladder is on edge.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Going back to the symptoms: "Violent vomiting, intestinal..... went on for hours and hours and days . . . ."

Even considering some other possibilities, I'd put my money on food poisoning.
-

hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Lost my gallbladder after months of Rocephin back in 2000.
It was exactly 4hrs 15mins from eating the burger. Hadn't ate or swam or anything out of the ordinary for days before.

I was fine one minute, then sick within a minute, so I really do feel confident that it was the ugly burger.

I am maybe just sensitive to gluten. Not allergic. I just feel better, less bloating and all if I stay away from gluten, basically things that are gluten and have yeast in them.

I bought the burger way into the middle to last of the rodeo. My guess is that it had been cooked at the beginning of it and sat there for a few hours. I did let the Chamber know I was sick and my thoughts on what happen.

Just weird that lately, with the summer sausage and now this, that I am becoming so sensitive to foods, and yes, I will become more selective on where I eat from now on. I was working the rodeo for the hospital, raising money of all things!

Thanks for all the thoughts!

--------------------

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like food poisoning. It's pretty unpleasant with or without Lyme.

I got norovirus from a tainted restaurant. Everyone at my table got it. One needed to go to the emergency room.

My LLMD thought it might be C Diff, but when I talked to my friends I ate with, I found out we all got it.

I couldn't move the day after and had pain in areas I never knew existed before.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was the burger we are more sensitive than others.
Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hadlyme, It sounds as if you are right in blaming the burger for this acute episode, but if in the future you notice that you have more 'urgency', diarrhoea more frequently (ie IBS-type symptoms), a small, but significant percentage of people who have had their gallbladder out do go on to develop Bile Salts Malabsorption at some point thereafter, where excess bile causes diarrhoea, upper abdomen problems and potentially, bile reflux into the oesophagus.

I am sure that there is no cause for alarm in your case, but wanted to warn people that this can happen and that many doctors , even gastroenterology consultants, don't seem to know much about it.

For anybody who is interested, at present the best option for management of this condition is to use one of the bile acid sequestrants ie Cholestyramine or Welchol, to bind bile and reduce symptoms, assuming patients can tolerate these drugs (sometimes also used with Lyme, as oer Dr Shoemaker).

Several pharmaceutical companies are trying to develop treatments for bile acid malabsorption/ bile acid diarrhoea, in particular Intercept Pharmaceuticals are trialling a drug that works by increasing levels of the ileal hormone FGF19.

Professor Julian Walters in the UK has shown that this hormone gives the liver feedback as to when to stop churning out more bile, so increasing the levels of the hormone could be an effective treatment. He has already been part of a stage11 trial of the Intercept drug and is recruiting in London for a treatment by a different pharmaceutical company also. You can read several papers of his online if you do a Search.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Interesting Ukcarry,
I'll remember this and yes, I do need to remember that I might be different without my gallbladder.

I have had episodes of the 'dumping' syndrome years ago, but on the whole, I'm pretty constipated at all times. (even with all the probiotics under the sun)

I do have esophagus problems, one being an ulcer, but even that comes and goes with what it feels like.

I'll remember the connection for sure, thanks!

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get reactions like this from food. last night also, I thought I was giong to vomit and never did. I ate al kinds of stuff I know I shouldn't have yesterday

I was wondering if I had some weird virus, but woke up fine. but today it feels like a porcupine is in there. something I get often

I know for sure that if I eat gluten WITH dairy at the same time- like pizza- I get so sick to my stomach.

other things bother me too. I have so many food allergies, but waiting for all treatments to retest allergies. llmd thinks many food allergies are here becasue of the lyme & co.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have spent years wondering whether similar symptoms are candida, food intolerances (or both), then SIBO and now the possibility that a lot of these sorts of reactions may be related to a non-functioning (or absent!) gallbladder. It makes me wonder whether some of my diet restrictions may not have been the right ones!

I suppose the lesson to learn is to be aware that some of our assumptions about illness may not be what is really the problem, or at least, may not be the WHOLE problem. There is a tendency in Lyme forums to think that all bloating indicates candida or intoerance, for example.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement