LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme symptoms in a dog?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme symptoms in a dog?
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a search for previous threads for this, but only came across one that talked about treatment.

I hope this is allowed here.

My sister's dog has started having seizures. The took him to the vet who ran blood work-but not for Lyme and Co and everything was negative.

The vet said his blood work looked good and it could just be a freak thing.

He has now had 3 in less than 2 weeks - foaming at the mouth, urinates, growls, very rigid.

I told her to ask the vet to consider Lyme but he told her that his blood work would have showed

something off if he had it.(ie red blood cells,

white blood cells or some sign of infection) They did NOT test for Lyme.

If your dog has Lyme can you please share their symptoms so I can forward to her to talk to another vet?

Thanks!

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, forgot to mention, they are in upstate New York.
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Doctor should have done a Lyme test, what's the big deal.

My dog couldn't walk, both back legs were affected. Only took one day to get back to normal after treatment.

Check out this site, it also talks a lot about testing.

http://www.2ndchance.info/lyme.htm

I must say, I never heard of those symptoms, maybe others have and will post.

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you for your reply Steve. That's a good link!
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dog definitely needs a lyme test. Testing can be done right in the office. My dog tested positive for lyme and erlichia. She suddenly became lame.

She should insist on a lyme test. If not lyme there are other causes of seizures, one of them being ingested poisons. Could the dog have got into anything like anti-freeze, insecticides or chocolate?

Is she sure they are actual seizures? Sometimes what looks like a seizure may be something else..

So hard when your animal is sick as they cannot tell you what is wrong.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did she *faithfully* apply K-9 Advantix or Frontline *every month* to PREVENT lyme disease from happening/other new preventatives?

And the dog still got lyme?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you for the replies.

They are going to see another vet this week to get a 2nd opinion.

She said he runs around sort of panicky at first and then will get very rigid, foam at the mouth, growls at them and will urinate on himself. He shakes too.

If anyone thinks that could be something other than a seizure, please share.

They're really hoping to get this figured out.

She doesn't think he got into anything - ie antifreeze or chocolate etc.

Marnie - yes, the dog is on tick prevention and the vet said it was not Lyme.

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seizures can be triggered by fleas. Fleas can carry Bartonella. Bartonella can trigger seizures.

"Canine Bartonellosis

Bartonellosis is an ***emerging infectious bacterial disease in dogs,*** caused by the gram-negative bacteria Bartonella, which may affect cats and humans as well. In humans, infection of the Bartonella bacterium is also known as cat scratch disease (CSD), though it may not have necessarily been acquired through a cat's scratch or bite.

The Bartonella spp bacterium is transmitted to dogs via fleas, sand flies, lice, and ticks."

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_dg_bartonellosis

See above for symptoms list.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it definitely sounds like seizures [Frown] How old is the dog? Any recent vaccinations that were given?

She is wise to be getting a second opinion. A full workup is needed, including thorough lyme testing.

I hope she is able to get some answers soon.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**** but he told her that his blood work would have showed

something off if he had it.(ie red blood cells,

white blood cells or some sign of infection) ****

Crazy reason not to test! As humans, our red and white blood cells are usually fine even though we have Lyme. Why would it be different for dogs?

Very glad they are smart enough to find another vet.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog had rapid onset lameness, was completely lethargic, loss of appetite. He was very very sick very quickly.

They tested for Lyme, started him on antibiotics, and within about 10 days or less, he was running around again.

Unfortunately, recovery didn't happen nearly that quickly for me.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
Did she *faithfully* apply K-9 Advantix or Frontline *every month* to PREVENT lyme disease from happening/other new preventatives?

And the dog still got lyme?

The dog can definitely still get lyme even if these products are used.
Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mvdr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog had Lyme. He was very "ouchie" and stiff but not limping. He lied around all day which was unusual as he's a terrier. He was grouchy and snapping at the kids.

He had a negative Lyme blood test which I had to insist on. I then insisted on a mo. of Doxy. which they did. He was better in 2 days! No joke! My LLMD says if it's Lyme the dogs bounce back quickly.

I was advised here and by relatives who are dog literate to go to the Vet. informed and calmly but firmly insist on the doxy. Remember the test is not accurate. I know my insistence got the doxy and got him better in the end.

An interesting note..recently my Vet told me that they have more Lyme positives this year in SW Pa than ever! Good luck!

Posts: 143 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog had what we think was tick borne when he was one. On a Tuesday he had a high fever... Went to ER... He was hydrated.. Wednesday he was normal, Wednesday night he had wracking fever. He shook our bed and whimpered if we touched his neck....Thursday they started him on Doxy drip. Off and on... But on Friday he was lame. Our vet got us right in with a neurologist... $3500 of tests later, we had no answers, but luckily they sent us home with doxy and antirobe (canine clindamycin) and prednisone if he didn't respond to the abx. He was one sick puppy, but luckily he responded to the abx in a week. He is almost 8 now. He is fine. He grew up fast though, and lost a lot of his puppi ness after that.

Grateful my vet knew tick borne signs... She said the smartest thing I ever heard anyone say... "This acting like a tick borne disease, there are so many that don't even have names let alone tests... Let's treat him."

I also want to point out many of the flea/tick top spot preventers are known to create seizure type reactions... I believe advantix is a big culprit... But don't quote me, I will try and check. But check with your friend to see if she is using a new tick product on her fog. Frontline plus seems to be the gentlest and what we use. Many claim it no longer works... It seems to work for the boys... We use it year round.

Also... Tea Tree oil can cause seizures in dogs if used un-diluted.

(My other forums are dog forums, as I am a first time pet owner albeit 8 years now)

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My dog had rapid onset lameness, was completely lethargic, loss of appetite. He was very very sick very quickly"

My dog also.

First thing was not eating. She was lab border collie cross, loved food.

Also laid in bed all day, didn't want to walk and legs were giving out.

Slept and laid still all day.

Ultrasound showed enlarged spleen and then five days later showed growth on heart.

Lyme and Babesia

About ten days from first symptom to death.

The canine bartonellosis sounds about right for seizures

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies!

They went to another vet today that did an in office Lyme test and it came back positive.

They are sending blood out to test for co-infections bc the vet thinks a co-infection is more likely causing his seizures.

I am surprised though, that in the meantime the vet didn't start him on any abx.

Apparently he wants to see what co-infections he has to determine what to put him on.

I really appreciate everyone's kind words and advice.

Ellen101
Member # 35432

So glad to hear they are moving in the right direction. I am surprised as well that the vet did not start the dog on doxy. My dog had lyme and erlichia and was prescribed doxy.

How long before the blood tests come back?

momintexas
Member # 23391

Tomorrow actually. I was really expecting doxy too.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by momintexas:

They went to another vet today that did an in office Lyme test and it came back positive.

-
Wow! I hope they will call AND WRITE the first vet!! What a useless vet he is!!

...as for not receiving doxy, I hope they fix that soon!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it would, that's why I said the doc should have done testing. These DAMN doc's will never change.

I would turn that veterinarian-doc in, so they don't kill the next animal.

Here's the web-site, give it to your sister.

https://www.aavsb.org/Complaint/

He'll recover very quickly with meds.

I'm glad you stayed on top of this, you saved a life!!! [Smile]

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you again for all of the advice!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement