LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Psychological reaction to IR Sauna, detoxing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Psychological reaction to IR Sauna, detoxing
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been focusing on detoxing with my doctor's help. I am homozygous for C677T, and have been taking 5-MTHF for several years.

I support the liver with milk thistle and drink Essiac tea. Last month I did 3 IV Myers cocktails. I take other supplements, too.

My question has to do with IR Sauna. I've done 2 so far, 15 minutes each, they're very nice, so warm and relaxing!

However, with the 2nd one I had an unfavorable reaction. Malaise and fatigue, OK, that's do-able.

But later I had more of a psychological/emotional reaction: crying, feeling overwhelmed, then feeling dark and momentarily suicidal.

I can't go through that again.

What went wrong? Too much detoxing too fast?

(Also, after the last IV Myers, it took me a week to recover from herxing or detoxing, achy, spacey, fatigued.)

Thanks.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Even if it felt nice and cozy at the time - your body gave a delayed red alert set of signals later. A body with lyme cannot always give signals at the right time, and the delay can clobber us.

Based on my own reactions to similar experiences . . . (other posters may have other insights or suggestions)

Sounds like heat exhaustion to me & maybe the body feeling a force to detox and it's too much? Be sure it's just warm, not hot.

Many with lyme are VERY, VERY (did I say VERY) sensitive to heat, even what may seem slight heat. This just may not be right for your body, neurological system.

I'd go for 5 minutes, work up to that 15 minutes in about 3 weeks' time.

Loss of electrolytes / minerals?

I would not do a Myers cocktail again, if you had that kind of reaction.

Liver & Kidney support may be too harsh right now. Remember, the focus should be more on supporting organs of detoxification, not actually forcing a detox.

Still, moment of feeling suicidal are not really that rare. I think we all have them and glad yours resolved fairly quickly and allowed you to work through it - or just wait for it to lift.

It's normal, really, that even those without health challenges might feel like this or have a fleeting moment from time to time. But it sure can be scary. And there can be physiological reasons . . . it's not all about the mind at all.

Low blood sugar can do this to me really fast. When I prevent that, it's far less frequent.

After the sauna heat, blood sugar can take a dive.

Dehydration can also cause this.

Adrenal shock or stress, too. HEAT can do that. And then we can drop like a rock, body and mood.

Are you taking some adrenal support? That is really important for mood stabilization. So is magnesium. And Fish Oil.
-

[ 09-01-2014, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just in case - might you be taking cholestyramine / Questran? That sure caused all kinds of things like you describe for me. I had to stop it. Never again.

And, be sure that the Myers Cocktail does not contain glutamine / glutamic acid or other excitatory amino acids mentioned below as they can cause what you describe, over-stimulating and then suddenly dropping a person like a hot rock.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

See post: Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine (3 excitatory amino acids that can be wrong for us when added as supplements, beyond a normal dietary level)

Seaweed has its own natural MSG and can be very excitatory
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there done that....Your bart like mine flares in an IFR sauna. The bart will run up in your brain and cause the emotional issues as well as other symptoms you mentioned

Plan on only using the sauna a couple days a week at first and do it for 5 minutes at a low temp. in the eve close to bedtime.

Slowly build up. I was fortunate to have my rife to run bart frequencies on my head to knock the bart reaction out of my brain.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for these replies, sorry it’s taken me a couple days to get back.

Although I practice some meditation, EFT, breathing, yoga, etc., there are times when I feel carried away by a river current I cannot manage. Thank G-d that this episode, although intense, resolved fairly quickly, and I was safe.

We are complex organisms ourselves, besieged by complex organisms. It seems there are no easy answers, no one-size-fits-all.

I want to get to the place where I’ve gone through the jungle and gotten over to the other side where I’ve attained the new, improved, healthier, more balanced version of myself.

I understand that there will be some struggle until I get there, and even after I do. But feeling suicidal is not a place I want to stop and visit along the way.

I made an appointment to see my doctor to get his help with this. He thinks it was probably both a herx and detox. Possibly the Niacin I took prior to the sauna played a role, I think he said something about methylation, here’s where I’m a bit hazy on it.

The other practitioner (a PA) I saw last week in the office thought I may have been over-methylating (therefore the strong reaction to the IV Myers). She suggested taking the Niacin prior to IR Sauna.

So my doctor wants me to continue detoxing before going back to the IR Sauna. I’m building up how much Essiac Tea I’m taking, and it can also be used in the event of a herx. I will be continuing detox baths.

For herxing I can also take smilax (sarsaparilla), and glutathione. If these don’t help, I can increase my L5MTHF. In about 7-10 days I can return to the IR Sauna for less time, then build up gradually. I will not be having further IV Myers.

That's the plan so far, adjustments will be made to manage real life experiences as they arise!

Why do you think we're called Lyme Warriors!

Best wishes for a beautiful day.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement